Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Slave
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 4, 2014 22:20

"Chuck Berry adapted boogie-woogie piano techniques for the guitar's lower register, and this distinctive two-string rhythm pattern became [a] Stones staple. Richards made his mark on its development by sometimes slowing it down, piledriving the downbeat, and stoking up the tone to a grand raunch: aronk, aronk, aronk.
- Tom Wheeler, music critic, Guitar Player Magazine, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

and Slave is the glorious full-on extra-strength aRONK aRONK

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 4, 2014 22:26

From the Sonny Rollins Thread:

"It was a big challenge and I figured, OK, let me see if I can do it and make it come out like a whole so it doesn’t sound like I’m from Mars, but holistic. I went into the studio with Mick Jagger and laid down the tracks for the record. Subsequently when I listened to it I thought I had accomplished that.”

I agree. The first time I head slave I thought it was a live track. It sounds like they are all playing together. Pretty impressive considering Sonny Rollins' and probably other parts, like Mick Jagger's, were recorded separately.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 4, 2014 23:46

I must be in the minority, but it's just another track for me. The Stones have a bunch of unreleased jams from the late 60s to the TY time that, for me, are more interesting than this. A little too monotonous for my taste. I can see how live it might be more interesting, but in the same vein, I'd rather hear something like Hide Your Love.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 5, 2014 00:52

Does anybody know what guitar/amp/effect combo Keith is using here?

It sounds too beefy for a Fender, but of course it could have been juiced up during the mixing. Come to think of it, it probably was given that the sound fits right in with the newer tracks on the album...

Also - Open G or standard?

It might be my favorite recorded guitar sound ever.

Date: August 5, 2014 00:56

JuanTCB
Does anybody know what guitar/amp/effect combo Keith is using here?

It sounds too beefy for a Fender, but of course it could have been juiced up during the mixing. Come to think of it, it probably was given that the sound fits right in with the newer tracks on the album...

Also - Open G or standard?

Standard tuning. Mostly two string barre chords (the riff).

Sounds like a boogie, but it must have been too early for that. Ampeg?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 5, 2014 03:11

DandelionPowderman

Sounds like a boogie, but it must have been too early for that. Ampeg?[/quote]

That's what's throwing me, too - the Boogies didn't enter the arsenal until '77 or so, right?

Was he still using the Ampegs onstage in '75?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 5, 2014 07:03

what a riff...what a mood...hot. If only they'd gift us with a live version.... Slave and Time Waits For No One.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 5, 2014 09:20

Another related thread (Rollins) that is closed now:[www.iorr.org]

Some interesting quotes by Rollins there.

- Doxa

Date: August 5, 2014 11:00

JuanTCB
DandelionPowderman

Sounds like a boogie, but it must have been too early for that. Ampeg?

That's what's throwing me, too - the Boogies didn't enter the arsenal until '77 or so, right?

Was he still using the Ampegs onstage in '75?[/quote]

Yes. He is probably using the Ampeg on Slave as well, with some effect box. It gels so nicely into the other tunes on TY WITH the Mesa Boogie.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: August 5, 2014 15:41

"My City Was Gone" by The Pretenders seems to borrow quite a bit from this number.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 8, 2014 05:58

opening a set live with Slave would be as good if not better than their best ever opener in 75, Fanfare For the Common Man to Honkey Tonk Women....epic.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 8, 2014 10:26

I wish the oft-present video cameras in more recent Stones sessions had been in the studio during the Tattoo You overdub sessions. I would so love to see video of the following:

MICK JAGGER (1985): "I said [to Sonny Rollins] `Would you like me to stay out there in the studio?' He said, `Yeah, you tell me where you want me to play and DANCE the part out.' So I did that. And that's very important: communication in hand, dance, whatever. You don't have to do a whole ballet, but sometimes that movement of the shoulder tells the guy to kick in on the beat."

Yeah, I'd have loved to see Mick dancing for Sonny Rollins as Rollins wailed away.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 8, 2014 10:38

It doesn't really belong on Tattoo You, sonically. It's just an undeveloped jam that lacks their songwriting gift, this and it's nowhere cousin, Feel On Baby.

Date: September 8, 2014 10:54

24FPS
It doesn't really belong on Tattoo You, sonically. It's just an undeveloped jam that lacks their songwriting gift, this and it's nowhere cousin, Feel On Baby.

Actually, it's a very-well structured (though edited) jam with a killer chorus. Sonically, guitar-wise, it does indeed belong on TY, imo. Compare its guitar sound with, say, Little T+A..

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 8, 2014 12:29

A perfect example of why the Stones are the best rhythm and blues band ever.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 8, 2014 15:17

"First release on CD/Vinyl running time 4.55
Reissued on CD for Virgin running time 6.30"

do you know about recent cd / lp reissue ?

Date: September 8, 2014 15:24

djgab
"First release on CD/Vinyl running time 4.55
Reissued on CD for Virgin running time 6.30"

do you know about recent cd / lp reissue ?

Universal (digital version): 6:33

I only have the Virgin CD version.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 8, 2014 16:03

thank you Dandelion smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 20:53

Although this is filler it is certainly filler of the highest quality - compare it to say "short and curlies" or "send it to me" and it's clear that tattoo you is a high quality stones product.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 13, 2015 21:00

Damn good Stonesy tune! thumbs up

Date: September 13, 2015 21:10

Also it features the stones with probably the greatest musician they ever recorded with, Sonny Rollins, the saxophone colossus

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 21:32

excellent song is slave, never got into it when i first heard it but it grew on me over the years. imagine if bryan ferry, michael jackson or george michael had written recorded and released this, it would have been a massive hit, but cos its the stones it dosent get the recognition it deserves, like so many other great stones songs.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 13, 2015 21:36

drewmaster
Holy mother of mercy, what can I possibly say about Slave? It is a titanic, mind-bending sonic orgasm. A cathartic, life-altering masterpiece. A stunning, soul-affirming paean to freedom, an ode to liberating oneself from the shackles of oppression, whether they come from society, from another individual, or from within oneself. Slave is more than a cry of revolt, it is a thunderous repudiation of tyranny and injustice.

The first few seconds of the track are, in and of themselves, miraculous. Those deeply-satisfying thuds from Charlie, in perfect contrast to the percussive tapping from Ollie Brown that subtly evokes the clink of chains holding the enslaved against their will … have you ever heard something so outrageously funky? (Well okay, maybe at the beginning of HTW…).

And then what will always be, in my heart, the bark of a junk-yard dog, welcoming in that incredible, monster riff from Keith. Sinewy and sinuous, snarling and snaking its way through Charlie’s drumming, Keith’s guitar is like a demon from the underworld, an avenging spirit forever banishing the hideous crime of slavery from this world. Majestic and proud, with licks that would make even Buddy Guy jealous, Keith shows the world what playing the blues is really all about.

And let’s not forget Mr Michael Philip Jagger (with a little help from Pete Townsend), who is at the top of his game, yelping and wailing like an escaped banshee from hell. Mick conjures up so much pain, so much violence and depravity, in his performance here.

And then, the icing on the cake … that glorious, swinging, soaring sax from the great Sonny Rollins. Words cannot really express how important his contribution is here, how much depth and vitality he brings to this track. And the same goes for Billy Preston’s brilliant, soulful keyboards. Indeed, everything syncs up here so perfectly, it is a miracle beyond words, and I would argue that nowhere in the Stones canon is there a finer example of their alchemy and genius.

Ultimately, it is the sound of Slave that is just so mind-blowing … Charlie’s drums, Keith’s guitar-work, and Sonny’s sax truly leap out of the speakers and envelope the listener, bathing him or her in an experience that liberates the spirit and redeems the soul.

Six and a half minutes of sheer sonic ecstasy; play this one LOUD, baby!!! This is why I love the Rolling Stones with all my heart.

Drew

Inspirational Drew, never really bothered with it b4 and just thought a nice jam.
Will turn the lights down, pour a nice glass of red, stick the cans on and REALLY listen. Cheers

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 14, 2015 03:17

This song makes me dance, and I don't care. It's wicked, and I love it.

Bill Wyman is killer on bass. Well, everyone's part on it is killer, but today when listening keen aware of how good the bass.

Don't know what more to add, except to me this song is best thru speakers loud, preferably at home alone.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 14, 2015 04:04

I have to consider Slave a cut above a Short and Curlies and Send it to Me. Slave has a wicked attitude cool smiley

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 04:46

like some here I first came across Slave as the track Black 'n' Blue Jam on the Reggae 'n Roll bootleg [www.discogs.com]
loved it then, when it came out on Tattoo You a couple of years later I was glad to have a better sounding (although edited) version.
was blown away in 1995 when the Virgin cd of Tattoo You was released with the longer edit.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 14, 2015 06:14

Love it, love it, love it!

Date: September 14, 2015 07:29

Maindefender
I have to consider Slave a cut above a Short and Curlies and Send it to Me. Slave has a wicked attitude cool smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 11:06

Heartbreaker, Dance Little Sister, Slave and Feel On Baby. For decades I skipped these songs but eventually the utter lack of quality new material forced me to discover their charm. Slave still doesn’t give me goosebumps the way, say, ‘Loving Cup’ does but at least it’s (relatively) fresh. I imagine many of us fanatics have found solace in songs we used to despise. Oh how I wish I had skipped the entire Let It Bleed album.

Date: September 14, 2015 11:20

Swayed1967
Heartbreaker, Dance Little Sister, Slave and Feel On Baby. For decades I skipped these songs but eventually the utter lack of quality new material forced me to discover their charm. Slave still doesn’t give me goosebumps the way, say, ‘Loving Cup’ does but at least it’s (relatively) fresh. I imagine many of us fanatics have found solace in songs we used to despise. Oh how I wish I had skipped the entire Let It Bleed album.

Feel on Baby and Dance Little Sister! i agree - those 2 belong on the list.

how deep have you done into their early years with Brian - there are several albums that are near- LIB caliber. i only ask because some on here seem relatively unfamiliar with such gems as "spider and the fly" "down the road apiece" etc.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home