Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Slave
Date: September 14, 2015 11:45

Of those four songs, Slave and Feel On Baby are the better ones by far, imo.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 11:48

Turner68
Swayed1967
Heartbreaker, Dance Little Sister, Slave and Feel On Baby. For decades I skipped these songs but eventually the utter lack of quality new material forced me to discover their charm. Slave still doesn’t give me goosebumps the way, say, ‘Loving Cup’ does but at least it’s (relatively) fresh. I imagine many of us fanatics have found solace in songs we used to despise. Oh how I wish I had skipped the entire Let It Bleed album.

Feel on Baby and Dance Little Sister! i agree - those 2 belong on the list.

how deep have you done into their early years with Brian - there are several albums that are near- LIB caliber. i only ask because some on here seem relatively unfamiliar with such gems as "spider and the fly" "down the road apiece" etc.

Yeah I love the old stuff and occasionally revisit it but when I loved it the most it was almost like I was in my ‘Brian’ phase – Went weeks on end listening to nothing but ‘Walkin’ The Dog, Little Red Rooster and etc. But alas I grew out of that phase. Of course it’s definitely worth dusting off those records once in a while.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 14, 2015 11:49

Heartbreaker is a 'Smash Hit' in my World...and then I'm not talking abut Zeppelins song...rather do do do do do...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:00

Okay, 'Feel On Me' I was not familiar with (sorry, not an Undercover LP fan)
and strongly disagree
it in any way shape or form
compares to Slave.
Nooooo. Not even close.
'Feel on Me' sounds like a computer.
'Slave' has life essence.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:44

That's a little confusing 35love ... you're not familiar w/ Feel On Baby, but somehow you know it doesn't compare to Slave?

Not even sure why Feel On Baby is in the discussion, other than it's a fantastic reggae tune and the highlight of Undercover ... much the same that Slave is the highlight of Tattoo You.

As great a single that Start Me Up was for this album, it is definitely topped by Slave, one of the great Stones tunes, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-14 18:44 by LeonidP.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 14, 2015 22:58

I listened to 'Feel On Baby' early this morning (couldn't get all the way thru it, tho. Really don't care for it.)

I respect Dandelion's opinion, saw a few posts back that compared the 2 songs, so took a listen.
Disagreed with the comparison.
I'm a huge fan of 'Slave' as previously stated.
Sorry, not a huge fan of most of the RS's studio releases after 'Tattoo You',
with a few song exceptions *shrug*

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 15, 2015 00:00

Great song. Best on TY. Shame its never been done live as it would seem to be a natural.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 15, 2015 04:04

big4
"Slave" is a perfect example of what has been lost in the Stones studio recordings since '89. This is a band that needs to jam, to find the groove, ride it and then end up with 40 minute versions of songs edited to 4 or so minutes. It's great that Jagger can come in with complete songs but it too much turns the Stones into backing musicians and not a tour de force band that plays a song into and out of shape before finding the essence of the tune.

"Slave" is the centerpiece song of the first side of TTY. Too bad they haven't played it live more frequently over the years.

Hmmm.....I guess they never played it in a set, but it was in the rehearsals of the Licks tour, right?

Date: September 15, 2015 10:40

I never compared Feel On Baby to Slave. I said out of the four songs mentioned my favourites were Slave and Feel On Baby.

Either you like reggae/dub or you don't - no problem smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 11:54

Slave is pure funky greatness, the center- and masterpiece of TY. One of their greatest tunes ever and certainly the best funk-track they ever recorded. Their second-best funky track of course is SEXDRIVE. Also outstandig. The 1991 single Highwire/Sexdrive was their best single-release since who knows when.

Although I dont like jazz and especially dislike players of the kind of Sonny Rollins (noodle, noodle, noodle...), his solo on Slave is awesome. Everything an Slave is awesome, except maybe the lyrics but who cares for the lyircs, it´s not a storytelling song, it´s a funky dance track. I wish it would fill a complete LP-side.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 09:25

SLAVE is played in the new Johnny Depp movie Black Mass. I thought, Yes! when it came on.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 09:57

Title5Take1
SLAVE is played in the new Johnny Depp movie Black Mass. I thought, Yes! when it came on.

heh heh heh. i love it when that happens. nothing tops watching goodfellas for the first time though....

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 22, 2015 10:02

I love the track it. When I fisrt played the album, I put the needle back three times before I got to hear Little T & A.

I also thought that Nike might have used it in one of their commercialsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 22, 2015 10:35

I just love this track too, you can really feel the Stones groove.
It's a pity we do not have any live version.
For me the closest one could be YCAGWYW in Hampton, from 3 to 6 minutes.
video: [www.youtube.com]
what do you think ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 10:36 by djgab.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: September 22, 2015 12:07

Does anyone have a link to the Slave re-edit/remix that was out a few years ago? It was pretty cool.

Date: September 22, 2015 12:11

phelge
Does anyone have a link to the Slave re-edit/remix that was out a few years ago? It was pretty cool.

Do you mean the Virgin-version, which was longer?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:18

A portion of this great Stones song was on the Johnny Depp film, Black Mass.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:20

A part of this song was on the Johnny Depp movie, Black Mass.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:25

This song indicates who has the more money in the house. Yep - Upper hand of financial gain can easily reverse. Tread lightlty.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:31

Doooo...aaaaaaaaaaat!

Slave question
Posted by: Cubanstones ()
Date: July 31, 2019 04:26

Has Slave ever been performed live? I don't believe so but would love to check with IORR fans. If so, where and when? Thanks!

Re: Slave question
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 31, 2019 04:55

Slave has never been performed live...there's some footage on the Four Flicks DVD of rehearsals...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 31, 2019 06:44

What would Mick do for most of the song ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2019 06:49

….he could slip off to the supermarket
steal something ta eat off the shelves...
Grab some booze and be back on stage before twelve …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 31, 2019 06:53

That would be taking the performance to another level. Really getting into character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 06:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2019 07:05

Yeah imagine Mick slidin' on one foot inta each aisle ……….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2019 13:28

Rockman
Yeah imagine Mick slidin' on one foot inta each aisle ……….
Good One as you just made me laugh which I sure do need more laughs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2019 13:30

This would have been so killer when Bobby Keys from Lubbock Texas was still alive along with Keith and Rocking Ronnie's guitar work .Such a deep groove that the Glimmers could have rocked out on for 10-15 minutes and been a TOUR DE FORCE ! I LOVE THIS TRACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 31, 2019 14:58

ryanpow

silly question...what does he do for most other songs....dance and whip up the crowd.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:34

I think the song would work great live in a smallish venue but not sure about a stadium.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home