Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 30
Re: OT: NFL 2014
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 12, 2015 12:25

We won by 12 points and were up as many as 19. I appreciate the effort Duke gavespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 12, 2015 12:42

Chris Fountain
We won by 12 points and were up as many as 19. I appreciate the effort Duke gavespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

yes because dukes freshmen seemed to freeze up after everything they did on offense was a foul. you can't teach experience in a hostile environment. the lone senior for duke was the one who kept the game close all by himself. the 2 juniors who played decent minutes also helped to keep things interesting. thats the issue with all of the good players being 1 and done, no time to teach them everything they need to know and have to thrust them into situations they aren't ready for. its ok though. i'm 33 and have never seen nc state play for a national championship or even play in a final 4 and i doubt i will before i die. heck have they even played for an ACC championship since the 80's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 12:43 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 12, 2015 17:26

Not sure if I should be happy that Duke lost or sad that State won...

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 12, 2015 20:47

What happened to the NFL thread that was here? lol

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 12, 2015 21:30

interesting stuff re NE's offense... i may have just become a Belichick fan...

[boston.cbslocal.com]

"The strategy in question involved Bill Belichick’s offense employing four offensive linemen instead of the standard five on a number of plays midway through the third quarter. Running back Shane Vereen lined up off the right side of the formation, and he declared himself an ineligible receiver. In essence, Vereen had become the fifth lineman, though with considerably different duties.

Referee Bill Vinovich announced to the stadium that Vereen was ineligible, yet the Ravens employed at least one defender to cover him as he sprinted backward from the line of scrimmage after the snap. Michael Hoomanwanui was left open on the other side of the field, and he picked up a 16-yard reception. Two plays later, Hoomanawanui declared himself ineligible. Brady connected with Julian Edelman for a gain of 11. And once more, Vereen declared himself ineligible, with Vinovich actually announcing that the Ravens should not cover No. 34. The Ravens, however, did cover No. 34, which allowed Brady to connect with Hoomanwanui for another 14 yards."

Date: January 12, 2015 21:57

Yeah I couldn't believe they pulled it off more than once. Raven's coach John Harbaugh was complaining "Yeah, it's a substitution type of a trick type of a thing," Harbaugh said after his team lost to the Patriots 35-31 in the divisional round of the playoffs. "So they don't give you the opportunity, they don't give you the chance to make the proper substitutions and things like that. It's not something that anybody's ever done before. The league will look at that type of thing and I'm sure that they'll make some adjustments and things like that.". What, adjust to a little guy playing lineman? Harbaugh was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for coming onto the field and yelling at officials over the alignment, which the Patriots used three times. As much as I don't like Bill Belichick the play was brilliant the first time he called it and after that just stupid for the Ravens not to make the adjustments needed.

Date: January 12, 2015 21:57

Did they actually announce it,though ??

When a player with an ineligble # ( 70 for an example ) wants to be eligble to catch a pass,he has to report to the officials and they have to announce it before the play.

In this opposite case,the requirements should be the same.

If they did in fact announce it,fine. I am not sure that they did though. Clearly at least. The defense should have an opportunity to match up before the play starts. The defense is given a chance to guard a "tackle eligible" play. They should be given a chance not to guard a running back who is ineligible.

Maybe they were. I am not sure on that,though. I would have to see it again.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 12, 2015 22:18

Everything was on the up and up. I'm tired of the stigma that the Patriots cheat and then cheat some more. I like Harbaugh and after I read his quotes I was concerned. After all I heard and read today Harbaugh can stick it…..haha

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 12, 2015 22:44

“I’ve had front row tickets to the Kam Chancellor Show for a while now,” Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith told The MMQB’s Robert Klemko after a game that was tougher than the 14-point margin indicated. “Even if you don’t see it, you definitely hear it and feel it when he’s out there smacking fools. Sometimes I’m so in awe I don’t even celebrate. I’m like, is he alright?”thumbs up

Date: January 12, 2015 22:46

I thought he was complaining the refs didn't do their job and tell him who was eligible?

Date: January 12, 2015 23:26

Winning Ugly VXII
When a player with an ineligble # ( 70 for an example ) wants to be eligble to catch a pass,he has to report to the officials and they have to announce it before the play.

Haha, so they need to tell the refs who's gonna catch the ball? smoking smiley

Date: January 12, 2015 23:56

Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

no the refs are to be told which players are eligible to catch passes.

Date: January 13, 2015 00:07

keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

And they were told. No passes were thrown to anyone not eligible and they didn't run down-field which would have been a penalty.

Date: January 13, 2015 01:03

mighty stork
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

And they were told. No passes were thrown to anyone not eligible and they didn't run down-field which would have been a penalty.

john is saying the refs weren't telling the defense though and after he ran on the field, got a penalty for pointing out the refs mistake, the pats stopped running those plays

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 01:03 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 15, 2015 04:44

...........................it WAS a catch!!!!!

Date: January 15, 2015 06:35

VoodooLounge13

And by rule a drop. It's a bad rule and I think it will be changed to exclude the fact that you have to keep control even after hitting the ground which in most cases ends the tackle and the play.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2015 06:46

mighty stork
VoodooLounge13

And by rule a drop. It's a bad rule and I think it will be changed to exclude the fact that you have to keep control even after hitting the ground which in most cases ends the tackle and the play.

Ball hits the ground and comes out - that's not maintaining possession. It can't be any more clear.

Date: January 15, 2015 12:13

GasLightStreet
mighty stork
VoodooLounge13

Ball hits the ground and comes out - that's not maintaining possession. It can't be any more clear.

Instant karma's gonna get you!smoking smiley

Date: January 15, 2015 18:02

GasLightStreet
mighty stork
VoodooLounge13

You don't need to maintain possession all of the way to the ground if you have made a " football move common to the game " after the catch + 2 feet down and before hitting the ground.

The requirement is to maintain possession all of the way to the ground OR make a "football move common to the game" NOT BOTH.

Believe it or not,it is still possible under the current rules for some who catches a pass to then FUMBLE the ball as a ball carrier / runner WITHOUT it being called an incomplete pass .

Don't let these clowns on TV influence the way you think. The rule book is written in black and white. I don't need 6 people on TV telling me what to believe. Just because Dean Blandino comes on a tells people that there was no " football move common to the game " DOES NOT mean that there actually was not one.

Anyway,check out my posts on page 22 of this thread for a more detailed opinion.

Date: January 15, 2015 20:42

I saw the replays and it was evident that he lost possession. If the ball had bounced out of his hand... it would be different.

Besides, it's only fitting. It is Dallas after all.

Date: January 15, 2015 21:34

He lost possession after he caught it , got at least 2 feet ( and 1 hand ) down , AND made a " football move common to the game " by reaching it towards the goal line .

That would make it either a reception + a fumble OR a reception + down by contact 20 inches away from the end zone IF he had been given credit for the 3 requirements above .

The issue is that he was not given credit for the " football move common to the game " after the first 2 requirements had been met and a fraction of a second before the ball hit the ground .

Fitting for Dallas. Sure. They usually get the short end of the stick with officiating. The Detroit game being an exception even though Detroit got away with things ( facemask / illegal hands to the face ) as well.

Date: January 15, 2015 21:36

keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

What a strange rule.

Date: January 15, 2015 22:42

Koen
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

What a strange rule.

well you can have several guys going out to catch passes and then not even run a pass play.

Date: January 15, 2015 22:44

Winning Ugly VXII
He lost possession after he caught it , got at least 2 feet ( and 1 hand ) down , AND made a " football move common to the game " by reaching it towards the goal line .

That would make it either a reception + a fumble OR a reception + down by contact 20 inches away from the end zone IF he had been given credit for the 3 requirements above .

The issue is that he was not given credit for the " football move common to the game " after the first 2 requirements had been met and a fraction of a second before the ball hit the ground .

Fitting for Dallas. Sure. They usually get the short end of the stick with officiating. The Detroit game being an exception even though Detroit got away with things ( facemask / illegal hands to the face ) as well.

there is the issue they are saying he only got 2 feet down because he was falling and thats not a football move

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 15, 2015 23:02

keefriffhard4life
Winning Ugly VXII

there is the issue they are saying he only got 2 feet down because he was falling and thats not a football move

I pretty sure the two feet down part is undisputed. The football move was the stretch of his arms toward the goal line and was made during the fall. I'm pretty sure the process of completing the pass must be finished before any football moves are considered. The fact that he did both at the same time speaks well of his talent but his loss of control happened during the final process of falling and that's why they ruled as they did. If I understand it correctly.

peace

Date: January 15, 2015 23:41

keefriffhard4life
Koen
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

What a strange rule.

well you can have several guys going out to catch passes and then not even run a pass play.

What does that mean 'run a pass play' ?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 15, 2015 23:53

Koen
keefriffhard4life
Koen
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

What a strange rule.

What does that mean 'run a pass play' ?

It means call (and execute) a play which involves passing the ball, not running the ball. Even on a running play, pass receivers are always running pass patterns in order to keep the linebackers and safety defenders away from the guy running the ball.

peace

Date: January 16, 2015 12:29

Have consulted the NFL oracle & the prediction is Seahawks 34 Green Bay 17. The other game NE 30 Indy 27. I've been doing pretty good this year. Enough to make me wish I was in Vegas!smoking smiley

Date: January 16, 2015 17:16

What is interesting about Seattle is they played a weak team last week, while Green Bay had a solid opponent. Which leads me to think that GB will play a hell of a game against Seattle and possibly beat Seattle.

It all depends on the shape of Rodgers, of course.

I'm probably sticking with NE but I keep thinking Indy is gonna beat 'em. Watching that game against Denver, even though Denver SUCKS, Indy's players were working a gazillion times harder. Denver's players just stood around expecting it to happen. Indy kept digging. They wanted it way more than Denver. That's why they'll beat NE.

Although Denver might do OK during the 2015 season you can count them out of the 2016 playoffs and done for the next few years. Even if he plays, Manning is done. They sucked last year and they sucked this year in the playoffs. What seemed like a great idea when Manning went to Denver fell apart when Elway wouldn't get him some weapons.

Date: January 16, 2015 18:44

Koen
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Winning Ugly VXII

What a strange rule.

Just to clarify things here,these scenarios are not common. Usually,there are no announcements. There is a system based on uniform numbers so that everyone involved can determine who is and who is not eligible to catch a pass.

Players with uniform numbers between 0 and 49 or between 80 and 89 are always eligible to catch a pass unless it is announced otherwise ...... as in the above case ..... EXTREMELY rare .

Players with uniform numbers between 50 and 79 or between 90 and 99 are not eligible to catch a pass unless they report as an eligible receiver ..... which is not that common but,teams do use this opposite move in short yardage to gain situations .... usually when they are near the goal line.

By rule,there has to be a certain # of players on the offense who are not eligible to catch a pass on each play. ..... about half of the offensive team's players on the field .... usually linemen. This all goes out the window if a pass is deflected into the air by the defense. If a deflection happens,then any player can catch that defelected pass.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home