Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is there any story behind the Richard/Jagger credit on Black & Blue?
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 2, 2015 20:42

Am ready to be torn apart by the experts on here but I just wondered if there was any story behind the songwriting credit on Black and Blue where Keith's name comes first rather than the customary Jagger/Richard credit? It's there on the vinyl and also on CD the booklet says "All songs by Keith Richard & Mick Jagger" Then on IORR it's back to the normal (alphabetical) Jagger/Richard

Re: Is there any story behind the Richard/Jagger credit on Black & Blue?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 2, 2015 20:49

Um, IORR was before B&B...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 2, 2015 20:51

yep my bad...Some Girls then

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 2, 2015 20:56

1. Anita was tired of seeing MJ's credit first and bullied the record co. to have it changed.

2. Mick did it as a joke to see if Keith would notice (he didn't).

3. It was a kiss off to MT as in "see, not all our songs are Jagger/Richards compositions.

4. It was a joke to see if the fans would notice (they did).

peace

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 2, 2015 21:48

Naturalust
1. Anita was tired of seeing MJ's credit first and bullied the record co. to have it changed.

2. Mick did it as a joke to see if Keith would notice (he didn't).

3. It was a kiss off to MT as in "see, not all our songs are Jagger/Richards compositions.

4. It was a joke to see if the fans would notice (they did).

peace

>grinning smiley<

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2015 22:39

Back then I always thought that songwriter comes first and then the one who writes the lyrics so Richards/Jagger sounds more logical to me

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2015 18:41

It seems that Jagger-Richard or Jagger-Richards is a lock and is alphabetical, it's not who wrote what - clearly. If that was the case there'd be quite a few songs missing one of their names. Then again, the 7 or 8 songs with Ronnie is Jagger-Richards-Wood. But later on there are some songs with a name that would come before Keith's and that's not the case.

I've seen other albums by various people and not everything is listed alphabetical. Perhaps the alphabetical way is an English thing because you've got Lennon-McCartney and not McCartney-Lennon.

Date: February 3, 2015 18:43

I am more curious as to why they seemed to rotate between "Richards" and "Richard" at least through the B&B album.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 3, 2015 19:08

John and Paul each fought for his name first, but Brian Epstein was on John's side and said, "It'll be Lennon/McCartney." Paul said, "Why?" Brian: "Because it sounds better." Paul: "McCartney/Lennon sounds good." Brian: "No." Paul later said, "John could be a bit bossy." (From the Anthology DVD)

For the version of "Yesterday" on Anthology 2 Paul called up Yoko and said, "Could for just this album it be credited to "McCartney/Lennon"? She said, "Yes," but then called back and said, "No."

But Paul uses the "McCartney/Lennon" credit on at least two of his solo live albums.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 3, 2015 19:11

71Tele
I am more curious as to why they seemed to rotate between "Richards" and "Richard" at least through the B&B album.

Dropping the terminal R was Oldham's idea. If I understand correctly it was to create some sort of association with Cliff Richard in the fans' minds.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 3, 2015 19:26

Title5Take1
John and Paul each fought for his name first, but Brian Epstein was on John's side and said, "It'll be Lennon/McCartney." Paul said, "Why?" Brian: "Because it sounds better." Paul: "McCartney/Lennon sounds good." Brian: "No." Paul later said, "John could be a bit bossy." (From the Anthology DVD)

For the version of "Yesterday" on Anthology 2 Paul called up Yoko and said, "Could for just this album it be credited to "McCartney/Lennon"? She said, "Yes," but then called back and said, "No."

But Paul uses the "McCartney/Lennon" credit on at least two of his solo live albums.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 4, 2015 05:05

blivet
71Tele

Dropping the terminal R was Oldham's idea. If I understand correctly it was to create some sort of association with Cliff Richard in the fans' minds.

That was how it started but they kept alternating between one and the other until "Richards" finally took hold permanently from Some Girls on, I believe.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 4, 2015 06:49

The Beatles' manager was correct, Lennon/McCartney does sound better, as do other examples where you say a two-syllable name before a three-syllable name--Simon and Garfunkel, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Abbott and Costello--because it has more of a singsong quality and rolls off the tongue easier and hence tends to stick in your mind.

As for Jagger/Richard(s), it is better to have an obvious surname said first rather than what sounds like a first name. Because when you hear Richard/Jagger, your first inclination is to ask, "Who's Richard Jagger? Never heard of him. Is he related to Mick?"

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: February 4, 2015 07:01

GasLightStreet
It seems that Jagger-Richard or Jagger-Richards is a lock and is alphabetical, it's not who wrote what - clearly. If that was the case there'd be quite a few songs missing one of their names. Then again, the 7 or 8 songs with Ronnie is Jagger-Richards-Wood. But later on there are some songs with a name that would come before Keith's and that's not the case.

I've seen other albums by various people and not everything is listed alphabetical. Perhaps the alphabetical way is an English thing because you've got Lennon-McCartney and not McCartney-Lennon.

That's true with the exception of their first LP Please Please Me that had original compositions reading as McCartney-Lennon.

I don't think there's anything to be read into it. Mick and Keith split royalties no matter who wrote what as did Lennon and McCartney as it was apparently a great tax break and given they were being hammered at an apparent 96% rate it's understandable. McCartney even included Linda later in his Wings and solo days for the same reason. I may be mistaken but out of all of the number ones he has written on his own, not one will show his name as the sole composer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home