Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2014 05:04

mtaylor
bv
duke richardson
wonder why that song is so popular in Italy?

Wonder why they drink a coffee brew called espresso in Italy, which is like one spoonful of coffee, and it takes a minute max to drink, everybody in Italy in fact drink thgis espresso, while in other countries I visit they drink "americano" coffee, which is pretty much almost half a pint or a pint of mild coffee you spend may be ten or even twenty minutes finishing... Well may be simply because we are all different. Different taste, and different culture.
Brazil you also drink a small cup :-) not an americano. I guess it is more North America and North Europe with the big mugs

to match our big ugly heads!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 24, 2014 05:05

I discovered the Stones through ABB and have always had a soft spot for Streets of Love. It was a pleasant shock to see it on the Rome setlist! Oh how I'd also love them to dust off It Won't Take Long and Laugh I Nearly Died for the Australian/NZ tour...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 24, 2014 05:19

laertisflash
I was there. The song was received in an absolutely enthousiastic way. And for sure it works much better live (my conclusion came from the ABB tour, not from Rome's gig only).

One of the most "popular" complaints here is that the Stones are rarely performing stuff from the post- 81 era. Rome's setlist included one song from 1989, one from 1997, one from 2005, one from 2012. Only VL was "out", but sometimes, in other cities, they play "YGMR".

Supposely, fans who usualy complain about the absence of rare songs should be happy with the Rome's list. But, no, now we have the "Why SOL?" game...

Well, you must understand that not all fans complain about the same thing. Some complain about this, some about that.

I for one have no doubts that SOL works great in a live setting. Plus, as already mentioned here, SOL is tremendously popular in Italy, so it was a fitting choice for the Rome show.

But Taylor on SOL?

I mean, really, don't they have any other songs in their set where Taylor could have been used a bit more, eh...convincingly?

First - he has nothing to do with the studio recording of this song. Second - the band does not really need him on SOL. Third - the majority of the audience most probably could not have cared less about having Taylor on SOL. Fourth - the people who were begging for "more Taylor" - what makes anyone believe that they're happy with Taylor on SOL instead of, let's say Gimme Shelter or Sympathy? Fifth - no, I don't really want to know the thoughts of the man himself when the band presented him with this song choice...

Oh, yes, he may have looked happy, played some nice licks here and there, like on Slipping Away some time ago. Happy, yes. Maybe because he knew that he is going to get paid for his earthshaking, groundbreaking contribution to the Stones live sound these days. That's the current state of affairs after the initial "Taylor's back"-hysteria.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 24, 2014 05:30

As a former bootleg fan, I know that Italian crowds love to sing along, and unlike other countries, they actually sing on tune for the most part. I haven't watched the video yet, but I suspect they had a great time with that "I-I-I-I" part.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:02

In theory, I'm not that happy with the idea of the Rolling Stones following the fashion for cheesy singalong power ballads, along with all the Aerosmiths and Bon Jovis of the rock world. I guess that Miss You produced a similar reaction in a lot of people - AAAARGH! Disco!! But in practice both songs just do work live (I also sang along with SOL in 2006), and given that it was a hit in Italy, it's a reasonable choice. The few setlist changes these days are made to please the crowd on the night, not us geeks sitting in front of our screens a thousand miles away, and it sounds as if the Romans enjoyed it.

Seems a curious choice for Taylor to play on, though - and I think that may be why there's been such an outburst of rage. We Want Setlist Changes! We Want More Taylor! Well, here's more Taylor on a setlist change - and it's Streets Of Love??? Given that I don't believe in the theory that MT is being deliberately humiliated (why, for heaven's sake?), the reason for SOL is a mystery. Maybe he likes it? Some people do, you know...

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:32

Rome is a romantic city, no?

Streets Of Love in the City of Love makes perfect sense.

Rome:city of love
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:34

I love it! I like any "recent" song they play. It makes it sound very fresh to me. I love that they put Out of Control in the set list. Hopefully Saint of me will get another go as well.

And for those who don't like it, if you are not at the show what do you care?!
I never got this setlist bashing by people that sit behind their computer at the other side of the world. I get excited if they play songs rarely played before or when they have a great set list, like one of the recent LA shows, but if it's a boring one to my taste I don't care because I wasn't there.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 06:37 by Wuudy.

Posted by: MLC5555 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:32

I concur with the questions on why have Taylor play on this song and not on
songs of his era like: All Down The Line - with his signature Slide leads..
Or on: Dead Flowers - with his tasty leads behind Jaggers/Richrds vocals
ala - Ladies & Gents - 1972 - THis one really threw me for a loop???
Hopefully it's a start for MORE inclusion on others numbers...
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 24, 2014 08:15

Oh God this thread is all that's awful.

They added a new song for the tour and brought MT in on it and complaints abound.
Looking at the clip the 80 odd thousand people there seemed to be right into it so why not just leave a lovely five minutes of their lives alone unadulterated without these mind numbingly obtuse remarks some of you seemingly cannot avoid expressing.

I'm indifferent to the track on ABB but would still welcome hearing it for the first time live. Band plays it well and Mick sings it well. It's catchy and a crowd singalong song and was a hit in many places throughout the world. Don't get what the prob is.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 24, 2014 08:28

Not a fan of the song personally, but cool that Taylor played on anoither track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 08:29 by erad.

Date: June 24, 2014 08:46

This thread shows that it's very hard to please all Stones fans smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2014 09:12

Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

Date: June 24, 2014 09:56

71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

If you listen to this SOL-version you'll find that some of Taylor's licks were really great on this song. And it's not blues.

Would you be just as happy if they brought out the bass for him to do TD? smiling smiley

I think at this stage the fans as well need to think outside the box. They have a set, but they want to do some unexpected things, too, once in a while. I think this was a nice surprise that went down really well - even though I'm not a big fan of the studio version. It is indeed good live, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 09:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 24, 2014 10:38

Some speculative thinking:

From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).

But I have gradually begun to gather that this is probably not the natural point of view from the musicians that for years, after the departure of one guitarist, have so to speak taken care of the songs. Along that state of the art, there must have developed more or less one way of doing things. As long as the band has not thoroughy transformed into a three guitar band, which I have dreamed of, maybe it feels awkward for the band to leave the developed way of performing songs, as if that way is to be admittedly considered second rate, and turn back to the original approach to songs.

Then I speculate if extra playing time for Mick Taylor, which I strongly hope for, can more naturally be obtained on songs that have not been played live that much, many of them relatively new, where consequently less of an established way of performing the songs has developed (who plays what), and likewise on completely new songs.

Date: June 24, 2014 10:49

<From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).>

I agree that this won't be natural, as Taylor didn't play guitar on the (final) studio versions of lots of the songs fans dream about having him involved in:

Brown Sugar
Gimmie Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice
Jumping Jack Flash
Midnight Rambler
Honky Tonk Women
You Can't Always Het What You Want

and more...

Instead, let him play the entire show in Roskilde, and be loud where its needed! smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2014 11:01

DandelionPowderman

Instead, let him play the entire show in Roskilde, and be loud where its needed! smiling smiley

Because you are going to Roskilde! But I am not. I am going to Stockholm, so let it be Stockholm (or drinking smiley both).

(You will, I guess,go on to argue that Roskilde is a festival, whereas Stockholm is a concert.)

[Edit: I had to correct the effect of a bad touch, where a 'm' had become a 'n' in a name.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 13:52 by Witness.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:06

It will be The Day of my concert life to watch Mick Taylor joining in Streets of Love...that goes for every song Taylor joins...

Will he come to Stockholm?

Date: June 24, 2014 11:11

By the way

DandelionPowderman
<From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).>

I agree that this won't be natural, as Taylor didn't play guitar on the (final) studio versions of lots of the songs fans dream about having him involved in:

However, Mick Taylor might be said to a large degree to be one guitarist that originally played the songs live, even on songs where he did not take part in the studio recordings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 11:13 by Witness.

Re: Streets Of S***
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:27

andy js
Thank you, it is of course MY opinion and not one that HAS to be shared by everyone else

But i still can't understand why they'd play it

To me it'd be like AC/DC suddenly adding say 'Money Talks' or some other awful shite to their next setlist for no apparent reason

Did AC/DC WRITE Money Talks?

I seriously don't get the hate of SOL. I AGREE it's NOT a classic, but apart from the cliched awful lyric, as in the WORD awful, it's not far away from Play With Fire or Lady Jane or Congratulations or Ruby Tuesday, is it?

It's a 'modern' Stones ballad, nothing more, nothing less. But it's a ballad "THEY" wrote and had on an album under the name of The Rolling Stones. Please show me the AC/DC album that their song Money Talks is on....

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:28

"Well, you must understand that not all fans complain about the same thing. Some complain about this, some about that"

Thanks for the "info" alimente, but I have already understand it, even I'm relativity new on the board. I just wrote something that refers to a part of the complains and the complainers. Simple as that.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:38

OneHit
I discovered the Stones through ABB and have always had a soft spot for Streets of Love. It was a pleasant shock to see it on the Rome setlist! Oh how I'd also love them to dust off It Won't Take Long and Laugh I Nearly Died for the Australian/NZ tour...

I would LOVE It Won't Take Long, my fave off ABB, in Perth and/or Adelaide! But ... I think I am dreamin'....and in truth, given the paucity of Stones shows in Perth over the decades, I will happily TAKE just about ANYTHING .... including SOL !!

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:10

OzHeavyThrobber

They added a new song for the tour and brought MT in on it and complaints abound.

100% correct.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:19

Opps... I wrote "relativity new" instead of "relatively new" which I suppose is the right. Or isn't it?

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:31

OzHeavyThrobber

Looking at the clip the 80 odd thousand people there seemed to be right into it so why not just leave a lovely five minutes of their lives alone unadulterated without these mind numbingly obtuse remarks some of you seemingly cannot avoid expressing.

I'm indifferent to the track on ABB but would still welcome hearing it for the first time live. Band plays it well and Mick sings it well. It's catchy and a crowd singalong song and was a hit in many places throughout the world. Don't get what the prob is.

Then report the thread as offensive if it's awful - that's a common thing no do these days when we don't like something. winking smiley

Date: June 24, 2014 12:34

Witness
DandelionPowderman

Because you are going to Roskilde! But I am not. I am going to Stockholm, so let it be Stockholm (or drinking smiley both).

(You will, I guess,go on to argue that Roskilde is a festival, whereas Stockholn is a concert.)

smileys with beer

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:43

fahthree
OzHeavyThrobber

Then report the thread as offensive if it's awful - that's a common thing no do these days when we don't like something. winking smiley

Well we all seem to like coffee, it's even BV approved.grinning smiley
I don't much get the problem either, and I'm with Green Lady on the singalong ballads. The song is there for obivious reasons, the crowds there know it and love it and Mick J. enjoys singing it.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:49

Can someone clarify the rules on posting please ?.

Apparently as i wasn't at this gig, I shouldn't be posting anything about them playing SOS at it. Yet, do my eyes deceive me but aren't MANY other folks that weren't there either posting also?

This will be one quiet board if people can only air opinions that are on shows they've attended themselves wont it ?

Having watched the video it's as bad as i could've imagined.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:58

I feel for you andy js. Normally I would even side with you but I think Mick Taylors contribution (though small) was very nice. Also I drink espresso, not American coffee though I'm American for what it's worth.winking smiley

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: June 24, 2014 15:51

If one were to watch the youtube video of this performance, you can see the thousands of people singing along to this beautiful simple song. It was very emotional touch to see Mick communicate with the audience in this way. It is a great song, and gives the concert some texture. Anyone who really knows the entire Stones catalog knows all the different styles of music that they are capable of giving a go....and I think this song is a real gem in any setlist.

I as a fan am grateful that The Stones at this stage in the game, are still switching up the setlist instead of playing the same 19 songs every night.
Rarely do you see this in a touring act of any age. Not all songs work, but at least they are giving them a try, and I thought this one worked very well.

Thank you to The Rolling Stones for having the courage and insight to know that some fans will call songs what they will because they would rather hear JIGSAW PUZZLE played live.

Now that I have so many more responsibilities I am envious of all the fans that can afford the luxury of travelling to see the band live....something I can no longer do.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:12

Witness
Some speculative thinking:

From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).

But I have gradually begun to gather that this is probably not the natural point of view from the musicians that for years, after the departure of one guitarist, have so to speak taken care of the songs. Along that state of the art, there must have developed more or less one way of doing things. As long as the band has not thoroughy transformed into a three guitar band, which I have dreamed of, maybe it feels awkward for the band to leave the developed way of performing songs, as if that way is to be admittedly considered second rate, and turn back to the original approach to songs.

Then I speculate if extra playing time for Mick Taylor, which I strongly hope for, can more naturally be obtained on songs that have not been played live that much, many of them relatively new, where consequently less of an established way of performing the songs has developed (who plays what), and likewise on completely new songs.

This makes sense to me, too, Unpicking a 20-year-old arrangement takes time that they don't seem to be able to give, so letting MT have a go on newer songs is one way forward.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home