Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:31

Now I've gotta go look and see if Plundered My Soul charted high in any European countries!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:36

I saw and heard SOL in Berlin in 2006 or 2007, whenever it was, and it was in fact a great experience.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:57

mtaylor
I saw and heard SOL in Berlin in 2006 or 2007, whenever it was, and it was in fact a great experience.

Me too. ..and 2006 it was.
I was quite partial about it, listening to ABB but, you've got to give it to the Stones - this song absolutely works great in a live setting.
it comes accross in the Rome clip too. even more enthusiastic by the audience.

perhaps this wiki quote hints why Italians like it even more:

"Streets of Love" was released as a double A-side single with "Rough Justice" from The Rolling Stones' 2005 album A Bigger Bang. It was released on 22 August 2005.

"Streets of Love", a power ballad with a spare, guitar-based arrangement and falsetto chorus, received the main marketing push, though it failed to become a major hit in the US. By contrast, it went to #1 in Spain, the Top 10 in Argentina, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, and Canada, and the Top 20 in Norway, Germany, Greece, Italy.

It was also a Top 20 hit in the UK, reaching #15 in the UK Singles Chart, some 42 years after their first UK hit "Come On".

"Streets of Love" is one of the few Rolling Stones songs licensed for use in advertising (See "Start Me Up ). It is heard in a television commercial for mobile telephony provider Vodafone Italy, in which the company's spokes-model Megan Gale also appears. The video for this song was shot at Zaphod Beeblebrox, a nightclub in Ottawa, Canada and Canadian actor Tan Arcade was cast and featured in the video. It was debuted live on July 11, 2006 in San Siro, Milan, Italy.

It was also promoted heavily and heard in several episodes of Days of our Lives.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:07

mtaylor

I was listening to that bootleg earlier today and I thought it was good. Of course, I wasn't there so I'm not sure I'm permitted to comment on it.

You also got Sway and Angie at that show.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:26

To sum it up - Streets Of Love is a nice, radio-friendly song with noticable Take That-influences, works great live, but considering the circumstances, performing it with Mick Taylor in Rome must be one of, if not THE ultimate travesty in the history of this band.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:26

Expect to find it in the set list in Spain--where it was a #1 single, their last number one anywhere.

Mick likes to have hits, and he will play more recent songs if they have been hits. He has commented on the collective yawn/restlessness of the audience when they try out newer/unfamiliar material, which has put off his desire to record a new Stones album--he has stated this publicly.

If more people in the U.S. and UK (but more so in the U.S.) had been less dismissive of their newer material and not relegated them to being an oldies act, then their set list in these markets would reflect more their 50-year career, rather than just the first 20 years.

Besides, it provides an inkling of what new Stones material might sound with Mick Taylor on it, should the "new album with Mick Taylor" dream scenario ever come to pass.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:27

Italians must like it.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:34

stonehearted
Expect to find it in the set list in Spain--where it was a #1 single, their last number one anywhere.

Mick likes to have hits, and he will play more recent songs if they have been hits. He has commented on the collective yawn/restlessness of the audience when they try out newer/unfamiliar material, which has put off his desire to record a new Stones album--he has stated this publicly.

If more people in the U.S. and UK (but more so in the U.S.) had been less dismissive of their newer material and not relegated them to being an oldies act, then their set list in these markets would reflect more their 50-year career, rather than just the first 20 years.

yeah! that's it. More Streets Of Love. my favorite of the (relatively) new songs, Rain Fall Down, would fit nicely right after it. or before it.

Besides, it provides an inkling of what new Stones material might sound with Mick Taylor on it, should the "new album with Mick Taylor" dream scenario ever come to pass.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:46

Great song, esp live

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:04

duke richardson
wonder why that song is so popular in Italy?

Wonder why they drink a coffee brew called espresso in Italy, which is like one spoonful of coffee, and it takes a minute max to drink, everybody in Italy in fact drink thgis espresso, while in other countries I visit they drink "americano" coffee, which is pretty much almost half a pint or a pint of mild coffee you spend may be ten or even twenty minutes finishing... Well may be simply because we are all different. Different taste, and different culture.

Bjornulf

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:05

stonehearted

It might help if their newer material didn't suck, relatively speaking.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:18

alimente
To sum it up - Streets Of Love is a nice, radio-friendly song with noticable Take That-influences, works great live, but considering the circumstances, performing it with Mick Taylor in Rome must be one of, if not THE ultimate travesty in the history of this band.

next time try a little hyperbole.

I don't think we're getting your point quite yet.

Date: June 24, 2014 00:20

treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:39

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?
Some people are never happy. They beg for "deep cuts" but what they really want is their pet songs. Bands are not human jukeboxes, there's a disconnect here caused by instant media and a sense of entitlement. SOL sounded good to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 00:39 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:41

bv
duke richardson

Wonder why they drink a coffee brew called espresso in Italy, which is like one spoonful of coffee, and it takes a minute max to drink, everybody in Italy in fact drink thgis espresso, while in other countries I visit they drink "americano" coffee, which is pretty much almost half a pint or a pint of mild coffee you spend may be ten or even twenty minutes finishing... Well may be simply because we are all different. Different taste, and different culture.

well thankfully yes everyone is different.

thats true, yes. as we say here in the US, 'one man's trash is another man's treasure..'

Date: June 24, 2014 01:20

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

Date: June 24, 2014 01:45

treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

And you are who?

Date: June 24, 2014 01:47

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

And you are who?

'cuz you really wanna know.

Date: June 24, 2014 01:51

treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

And you are who?

...it's all part of the show.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:52

Well I was there and it was a highpoint of the set. Great to hear such a good reaction to the 2nd newest song on the setlist and great to see Taylor play on it. It's better live than studio, and with singing along to the same level as 'war horses' really elevated it. 4 songs last night from 89n onwards. No complaints from me it was a f*cking epic show, venue and city.

Date: June 24, 2014 01:59

LongBeachArena72
stonehearted

It might help if their newer material didn't suck, relatively speaking.

It doesn't actually [suck], so I hope this helps--though I can't speak for any of your relatives.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:25

Sounded pretty good live with the crowd in on it. Don't understand why MT couldn't be on stage more often in that role. If they refuse to feature him, he at least would seem to be more integrated than his current here and gone routine.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:30

stonehearted

I don't think that's true. I recall the crowd roaring when the band started Anybody Seen My Baby in Columbus back in 1997.

The fact is Mick quickly abandons new material because he doesn't like blank faces. He makes the decisions on what they play. If fans are dismissive of their new material it's because Mick doesn't care about the tunes himself. If he felt strongly about it, he wouldn't have dumped It Won't Take Long, for example, after two or three plays.

Going to the MSG shows in 2006 I wanted to hear It Won't Take Long and She Saw Me Coming. Obviously that never happened.

Date: June 24, 2014 03:01

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

And you are who?

11 hours in the tin pan, god there's got to be another way.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: June 24, 2014 03:03

I always thought Streets Of Love was a great missed opportunity on the album. Potentially great song but "awful" annoying lyrics, but wow, I don't know how anybody with an open mind wouldn't love this live version. Clearly the crowd LOVED it, as did I.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 24, 2014 03:27

I like Streets of Love its a good song its nice

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: June 24, 2014 03:29

treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

Who is "we"?

well Who Are You?

And you are who?

11 hours in the tin pan, god there's got to be another way.

6 days on the road already, and now I gotta get away. Gotta! Gotta! Gotta!

Date: June 24, 2014 03:35

fahthree
stonehearted

I don't think that's true. I recall the crowd roaring when the band started Anybody Seen My Baby in Columbus back in 1997.

They were roaring because in their surprise they thought they were about to be treated to a Stones rendition of Constant Craving--which, in fact, they were.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2014 03:38

bv
duke richardson

Brazil you also drink a small cup :-) not an americano. I guess it is more North America and North Europe with the big mugs

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 24, 2014 04:14

I was there. The song was received in an absolutely enthousiastic way. And for sure it works much better live (my conclusion came from the ABB tour, not from Rome's gig only).

One of the most "popular" complaints here is that the Stones are rarely performing stuff from the post- 81 era. Rome's setlist included one song from 1989, one from 1997, one from 2005, one from 2012. Only VL was "out", but sometimes, in other cities, they play "YGMR".

Supposely, fans who usualy complain about the absence of rare songs should be happy with the Rome's list. But, no, now we have the "Why SOL?" game...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home