Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Streets Of S***
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2014 18:33

fahthree
drbryant
I find it sad that people feel compelled to post stuff like this - in fact I find it awful sad.

Really? I could care less myself. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. Are we to discuss only happy things that everyone can agree? Perhaps in the guidelines for the board we need a list of approved topics. Just saying...

Yes, I think it's fair that he share his apparent angst over this song.

But in the same tone, I think it's just as appropriate to ask why he's having an aneurysm over their playing it. He's taking a verbal crap for us all to see, we should be well within our right to ask him why he didn't just use the washroom.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 23, 2014 18:41

treaclefingers
fahthree
drbryant
I find it sad that people feel compelled to post stuff like this - in fact I find it awful sad.

Really? I could care less myself. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. Are we to discuss only happy things that everyone can agree? Perhaps in the guidelines for the board we need a list of approved topics. Just saying...

But in the same tone, I think it's just as appropriate to ask why he's having an aneurysm over their playing it. He's taking a verbal crap for us all to see, we should be well within our right to ask him why he didn't just use the washroom.

True, but should it really make someone "sad"? It's "sad" he had to post that -- that's a hilarious statement!

Date: June 23, 2014 19:27

fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
drbryant

True, but should it really make someone "sad"? It's "sad" he had to post that -- that's a hilarious statement!

Could that have been a 'play' on some of the lyrics from the song? That would be awful sad if it was.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 23, 2014 19:32

Still, Skippy hasn't commented on this. I wonder what he has to say about the choice of SOL?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:03

andy js
Why?

Of all the songs they could play why add that stinking turd to the setlist ?

And to add insult to injury make Taylor play on it

Bleurgh

I for one envy you the experience both to have had that song and hearing Mick Taylor play on it.

I remember how I earlier read that someone stated that "Streets of Love" functionned much better in its live version than in the studio one, so I am sincere about that. And I have myself wished for Mick Taylor to play on material from the latest two or three studio albums and wondered if he might add something to that.

How I wish I might be treated to something of the same kind in my last (or maybe only latest) Stones concert in Stockholm!

Added: Now having read more of the thread, I was able to listen to the posted live version. Then I caught a glimpse of what I have missed somewhat: The (outside) Oslo concert was a beautifully played concert with loud and almost hard guitars. However, in this "Streets of Love" song I felt more of Rolling Stones as not only superbly documenting what they have been as a band from the past, but also as emerging more as a living band of this moment, playing a song only witnessed live by a comparatively few, and from later years. And maybe Mick Taylor contributed vitally to that impression.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 20:21 by Witness.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:12

Setlist changes are always welcome I'd say when we're talking about the boys and they'd be extremely welcome when we're talking about AC/DC as well.
Streets of Love is not my fave tune, but I thought it worked pretty well in London 2006 and as long as they keep changing the setlists a bit it's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:14

Did you go to the show? Do you live in Italy?

The song was played for those who went to the show, and it was probably one of the most popular songs of the entire performance in Rome. Just read the reports.

Bjornulf

Date: June 23, 2014 20:27

Let's put all this nonsense aside....

Any chance we can get Mick Taylor on Back To Zero for Madrid?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:33

fahthree
Let's put all this nonsense aside....

Any chance we can get Mick Taylor on Back To Zero for Madrid?

That album may be beyond rehabilitation, but if it gets him onstage, I'm willing to see what happens.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:39

Kurt
andy js
Thank you, it is of course MY opinion and not one that HAS to be shared by everyone else

But i still can't understand why they'd play it

I think they played it because they @#$%& FELT LIKE IT.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:44

Stupidity.
The majority of us was not at the show and we don't know how it went or how it was recieved. If a poster, who actually was at the concert, complained and said the song was ruining the show, I would listen. Funnily enough, there are only good reports ESPECIALLY regarding this tune.

Maybe the reason they are playing this song, is that Jagger thinks it is a good song. Maybe they played it because it was a major hit in Italy in 2005. Whatever the reason, it is and was a surprise they played it. And that is exactly what this leg of the tour are missing. So stop complaining!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:54

fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
drbryant

Perhaps try listening to the lyrics?? DOH...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 23, 2014 20:57

Excellent Stones-song! that's why...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: June 23, 2014 21:00

Beast
fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
drbryant

Perhaps try listening to the lyrics?? DOH...

I'm aware of the lyrics and drbryant's post was as stupid as mine. In fact, the couple watching me agree it's stupid. I'm not a dancer so the woman can move on.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:03

In another thread I wrote the post below.

Somehow, this with "Strets of Love" played live and involving Mick Taylor, is the Stones - of course, not because of that post, please, but instead out of their own accord - indirectly testing the thought in bold towards comparatively fresh material:

Witness
The Stones might make a triumphant return to the UK and to the USA, on the basis of a new studio album, from which they ought to be able to include four or five songs in the setlists. Would not that be great? Also providing some effect on how the older songs would emerge live.

An ideal Rolling Stones could and would do so.

Let Mick Taylor take part in the recording of that studio album. Then those live songs might be the songs that would feature Mick Taylor on stage later on. What added interest those new songs could draw then!

Then I wonder: Did this experiment work as a special attraction to this audience?

Could the experience work on the minds of the band to record a studio album with the aim, to some extent, to renew the setlist with some songs (3, 4 or 5), later played live, those songs being some to feature Mick Taylor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 21:06 by Witness.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:06

andy js
Thank you, it is of course MY opinion and not one that HAS to be shared by everyone else

But i still can't understand why they'd play it

To me it'd be like AC/DC suddenly adding say 'Money Talks' or some other awful shite to their next setlist for no apparent reason

Moneytalks is a classic

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:10

I thought Streets of Love was awesome live on the ABB tour and I would have loved to have been there in Rome to hear it with MT. People should stop being so negative - I think it is great that the Stones are still mixing up the aeist and trying different things, and it's great that MT is playing with them,regardless of what song it is. Really loving the 14 On Fire tour and I hope we get a live DVD (or more shows....).

Date: June 23, 2014 21:16

Witness
In another thread I wrote the post below.

Somehow, this with "Strets of Love" played live and involving Mick Taylor, is the Stones - of course, not because of that post, please, but instead out of their own accord - indirectly testing the thought in bold towards comparatively fresh material:

Witness
The Stones might make a triumphant return to the UK and to the USA, on the basis of a new studio album, from which they ought to be able to include four or five songs in the setlists. Would not that be great? Also providing some effect on how the older songs would emerge live.

An ideal Rolling Stones could and would do so.

Let Mick Taylor take part in the recording of that studio album. Then those live songs might be the songs that would feature Mick Taylor on stage later on. What added interest those new songs could draw then!

Then I wonder: Did this experiment work as a special attraction to this audience?

Could the experience work on the minds of the band to record a studio album with the aim, to some extent, to renew the setlist with some songs (3, 4 or 5), later played live, those songs being some to feature Mick Taylor?

you could be totally right.

On the other hand, that is the biggest leap of speculation I've ever seen.

On the other hand, I totally hope you're right!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:21

bv

The song was played for those who went to the show, and it was probably one of the most popular songs of the entire performance in Rome. Just read the reports.

I was not in NYC in November 1969. And even if I was out of the country that does not disqualify me from saying that 1) SFTD is a great song; and 2) the band's performance of this song on the 28th was compelling. In later years Jagger's encouragement of the audience's "Woo-woo's" adds little to the performance even if making that noise is fun and enjoyable. I have trouble wrapping my mind around the center image of this song...the streets of love. When I saw the band perform it in Oakland...whenever '06?...Jagger gave it the hard sell and the song seemed interminable. On the big screen Keith looked...disinterested and almost mockingly amused. Nonetheless Taylor's involvement here is curious. I do not hear him doing much, but I wish I did. Many later career songs cry out for his tasteful touch. Biggest Mistake comes to mind. I do not think Taylor can save this song, but I'd like to hear him try. He almost did it with Angie.

Date: June 23, 2014 21:32

pmk251
bv

I was not in NYC in November 1969. And even if I was out of the country that does not disqualify me from saying that 1) SFTD is a great song; and 2) the band's performance of this song on the 28th was compelling. In later years Jagger's encouragement of the audience's "Woo-woo's" adds little to the performance even if making that noise is fun and enjoyable. I have trouble wrapping my mind around the center image of this song...the streets of love. When I saw the band perform it in Oakland...whenever '06?...Jagger gave it the hard sell and the song seemed interminable. On the big screen Keith looked...disinterested and almost mockingly amused. Nonetheless Taylor's involvement here is curious. I do not hear him doing much, but I wish I did. Many later career songs cry out for his tasteful touch. Biggest Mistake comes to mind. I do not think Taylor can save this song, but I'd like to hear him try. He almost did it with Angie.

But I think we can all agree Keith can be a self-centred prick, so that really observation really doesn't say anything other than it isn't a Keith song.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:33

filler

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:38

TheGreek
filler

Now don't be negative! Say it was a great attempt of a song that just didn't turn out as well as others have..............

Date: June 23, 2014 21:40

pmk251

He was probably thinking "Brenda loves this sh*t".

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:56

apart from Mick Taylor, the audience was a unique instrument on this song last night. it was magic!

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 23, 2014 21:58

I was there. Streets of love sounded great. Italian fans were signing very loudly. More so than other songs like Out of Control. It was Number 1 in Italy.

What i'm trying to say is that it was a really good set list choice. If you weren't there, i'm not really sure how you can complain?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:00

wonder why that song is so popular in Italy?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:02

I'm not a SOL-fan, on the contrary. The song is a bit of a sleazeball. But at least they are willing to try something new and even letting Mick Taylor in on it. So I guess we shouldn't complain...

Date: June 23, 2014 22:02

petewasbristol
I was there. Streets of love sounded great. Italian fans were signing very loudly. More so than other songs like Out of Control. It was Number 1 in Italy.

What i'm trying to say is that it was a really good set list choice. If you weren't there, i'm not really sure how you can complain?

I think the crowd would quite rightly have complained if the DIDN'T play their last Italian number 1 song.

I'm not saying I love this tune, but it does get a better workout live.

Would have liked to have seen MT on it as well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:15

Stoneage
I'm not a SOL-fan, on the contrary. The song is a bit of a sleazeball. But at least they are willing to try something new and even letting Mick Taylor in on it. So I guess we shouldn't complain...

What he said smiling smiley

treaclefingers
I think the crowd would quite rightly have complained if the DIDN'T play their last Italian number 1 song.

I'm not saying I love this tune, but it does get a better workout live.

Would have liked to have seen MT on it as well.

What he said as well smiling smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 23, 2014 22:26

Come on, this is just great! And I like the idea of involving Taylor in new stuff ...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home