Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819
Current Page: 19 of 19
Re: Zürich 01 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:17

Still wonderful to read all those reviews from the guys and dolls who were there. Thank you all so very much

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 3, 2014 18:26

We were standing far left directly on the gates to the stage near the GC entrance and there was quite a big gap not filled up with people inside the golden circle.

Local security wouldn´t let us in for the last two songs, standing crossed-armed in line in front of us, touching and treating us like fools. It was totally ridiculous. One person managed to break throug and they tried to catch him like a "criminal".

It was a peaceful audience atmosphere and no need for security to act so stupid.
Ruined the good vibes at the end of the show.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 20:47

Sorry for my bad english – I am back from my first Rolling Stones concert in my life, but not back on earth again...I never thought before, that I still would have the opportunity to see the Stones playing life, and a dream came true for me on this sunday in Zürich Letzigrund.
It was absolutely fantastic – I can hardly find the words to desribe the feelings I had during this two hours … this is music straight from the soul … and with an amazing and great Mick Jagger! The sound of the music was great, I liked very much "Out of Control", Keith on "You got the Silver" and so on …

Thanks so much to this band that they keep on going to give her music to people.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 3, 2014 20:55

BitchKeepsBitchin
Thank you for the first hand reviews, the videos and pics. Zurich looks like a beautiful city! I know what its like to travel to a city far from home and then meet up with a bunch of Stones fans and you instantly have a group of cool friends with really great taste in music. The Stones give so much joy to so many people all over the world ~ and the little mistakes are what make each night special and unique. Traveling with the Stones is not a only a concert, its an adventure! I am so happy that even if I cant make it to Europe I still get to experience it through my fellow diehards!

This is exactly how I feel. Loving all these reviews and pics.

Date: June 3, 2014 21:06

I entered the stadium soon after doors opening and found myself near the front on Keith's side close to the catwalk. I thought the Temperance Movement did a great job as a support band, they were clearly beyond excited at playing on the same stage on which the Stones would soon be performing.
It was not long until the Stones came on stage and the level of excitement and anticipation was incredible. As Start Me Up swept over us, Mick was venturing a little way up the catwalk immediately and as he stood right by us it was extraordinary to see his agility and hear his vocal power. During those first few songs he seemed to make good use of the catwalk, perhaps more than usual. I was also struck by the wonderful interaction between Mick, Keith and Ronnie throughout the show. Apart from Jagger's usual foray into the local dictionary to check everyone is "doing ok" he sounded very 'London' with phrases such as "bloody brilliant" after one song. There was even a moment when Mick and Keith shared a microphone, albeit briefly, it was nice to see.
About half way through the gig, I gave up my spot to walk around to Ronnie's side to meet Johnny Thunders, Paulywaul and Nick and Laure. There was room to dance, go find a beer and enjoy the Stones demonstrate why this is called the 'On Fire' tour. As a spectator experience it was a gig of two halves and great fun for it.
This is what enjoying a Stones gig looks like........

So, this is not a song by song review as I was far too wrapped up in the moment and the experience of seeing the Stones rock Switzerland!

I had to laugh when, as I boarded my Swiss flight back to London, the co-pilot was greeting passengers on board and as he noticed my t-shirt asked if I enjoyed the Stones gig. I assured him that I did and asked him if he had seen the tour jet parked up just across the Tarmac from us. He said he hadn't and would take a look from the cockpit. So, the doors close and we push back and the usual announcement was modified .... "welcome on board this Swiss flight to London Heathrow and as we taxi to the runway, you will notice the Rolling Stones tour jet preparing to depart"!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 3, 2014 21:15

That announcement, so great, Manofwealthandtaste.

On the camera guys, in the pit at Newark, the night before the pay per view, one camera person was continuously moving and walking in the gap between the rail and the front of the stage. After a few songs, I swear I saw Mick gesture to him to stop filming, no more, and the guy left. We had a much better view after that. I think there are degrees of filming.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 3, 2014 22:16

Manofwealthandtaste
I entered the stadium soon after doors opening and found myself near the front on Keith's side close to the catwalk. I thought the Temperance Movement did a great job as a support band, they were clearly beyond excited at playing on the same stage on which the Stones would soon be performing.
It was not long until the Stones came on stage and the level of excitement and anticipation was incredible. As Start Me Up swept over us, Mick was venturing a little way up the catwalk immediately and as he stood right by us it was extraordinary to see his agility and hear his vocal power. During those first few songs he seemed to make good use of the catwalk, perhaps more than usual. I was also struck by the wonderful interaction between Mick, Keith and Ronnie throughout the show. Apart from Jagger's usual foray into the local dictionary to check everyone is "doing ok" he sounded very 'London' with phrases such as "bloody brilliant" after one song. There was even a moment when Mick and Keith shared a microphone, albeit briefly, it was nice to see.
About half way through the gig, I gave up my spot to walk around to Ronnie's side to meet Johnny Thunders, Paulywaul and Nick and Laure. There was room to dance, go find a beer and enjoy the Stones demonstrate why this is called the 'On Fire' tour. As a spectator experience it was a gig of two halves and great fun for it.
This is what enjoying a Stones gig looks like........

So, this is not a song by song review as I was far too wrapped up in the moment and the experience of seeing the Stones rock Switzerland!

I had to laugh when, as I boarded my Swiss flight back to London, the co-pilot was greeting passengers on board and as he noticed my t-shirt asked if I enjoyed the Stones gig. I assured him that I did and asked him if he had seen the tour jet parked up just across the Tarmac from us. He said he hadn't and would take a look from the cockpit. So, the doors close and we push back and the usual announcement was modified .... "welcome on board this Swiss flight to London Heathrow and as we taxi to the runway, you will notice the Rolling Stones tour jet preparing to depart"!

Nice. And great pic.thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 3, 2014 22:50

I finally got some time to update the ZURICH REPORTS pages:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: June 3, 2014 23:16

I came back from Zürich yesterday and needed some time to digest the impressions.
Technically maybe not the best Stones show that I've been to, but in a very special way an outstanding and unique experience. Should this have been 'the last time ' for me, I could happily live with it. So, here's my review:

Driving into Zürich on Sunday and coming over a large bridge towards the stadium you could see the mighty alps in the background. What a lovely city this is and what a beautiful day it was. The weather was perfect for a show like this and while the sun was setting slowly over the stadium, it was time for the drum intro. My first thought on hearing Start Me Up was: 'man, they're sloppy!', but sloppy in a good way, you know that Stones '69 to '74 kind of sloppiness, the rocking kind. And it set the pace for what was to come. Charlie's beat and the two guitars hit you right in the face. The sound was loud and clear, really well balanced, at least where I was. I think the first four songs made a really strong beginning, you wouldn't believe it, but I especially enjoyed IORR, simply because it rocked so hard. Being there instead of watching YouTube videos makes such a huge difference. Why are so many people worldwide paying large amounts of money to see them again and again? Because everything else pales in comparison to experiencing this music in person and on location.
The band was having a party on stage, constantly interacting, laughing, playing little tricks, Ronnie 'chasing' Mick down the catwalk, Mick giving Keith a big smile for his 'shaky' solo on HTW, just like a bunch of English schoolboys.
And Mick Jagger is a phenomenon for me. Quite honestly, I've never seen the man happier on stage. I had seen him perform brilliantly, work an audience and be a true professional before, but never had he been so relaxed, so loose and so positively out of control.
He even managed to raise the level of madness step by step throughout the set until towards the end of Satisfaction he was shaking his head and hair like he did as a young man in the sixties. You gotta love the man for that! Speaking of heroes, Keith on his part added a lot to the sloppiness of the affair (which contrasted well to the edginess of Ronnie's solos), but also be aware of his sometimes highly concentrated playing, like at the beginning of Gimme Shelter and also in parts of Sympathy.
Can't be seen was the only 'first' for me in terms of songs played live. It really went well until the start of the second verse, where his eyes were searching for a clue on the teleprompter, then looking towards Ronnie, then playing a little solo and then deciding to do nothing at all until the start of the next chorus. After that, the rest of the song went on for a while and was played really well. I had witnessed a similar situation in a show on the ABB tour where he decided not to play one of his solos at all. After that concert I had a little chat with Kent Smith about that incident and he just said: Keith does things like that once in a while. I guess after all he's Keith Richards, with the right to shit on the street (to use a famous quote from Barbara Charone's book)...
For the fan vote I had really wished for Bitch, but when Mick dedicated LSTNT to Ottmar Hitzfeld, the coach of the Swiss national football team, the audience around me really went nuts and it was such a fun song (embellished also with strong background vocals by Keith). Miss You was an appropriate showcase for Darryl's bass playing and his funky solo was prolongued by Mick shouting 'go on, Darryl!'.
Rambler was the usual highlight with the audience almost going totally silent, just before errupting into the last section of the song. JJF was pretty muscular and Keith did his leg stretching stunt for the famous riffing right at the beginning.
BS closed the regular set and Keith 'scarfed up' the intro in such a way that again you can't help thinking that he might do this on purpose - just because he can.
YCAGWYW was simply beautiful with some strong audience singalongs and one of the best Satisfactions I've ever heard ended that lovely concert evening in Zürich.
The Rolling Stones in 2014 are a well-oiled machine and feeling very comfortable with themselves and the material they are playing, which gives them room to maneouver within their comfort zone. A 19 song setlist played in approximately two hours time and consisting mainly of so called 'warhorses' might look boring when read somewhere on the internet, but when executed by musicians with such an experience and played with such fervour and fun, it is like you being taken on a very interesting rollercoaster ride. Although you know what you're gettin', it's different each time.
Not to enjoy such a concert, you must be a real sourpuss. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 3, 2014 23:38

carlorossi
Ladykiller
It was so great to hear "You Got Me Rocking"

This isn't a shot at you, but I suspect this is the first time I've read that statement here!

This song is one of my favorite 90s songs. So it was a pleasure for hearing it again.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 3, 2014 23:55

Ladykiller
carlorossi
Ladykiller

This isn't a shot at you, but I suspect this is the first time I've read that statement here!

This song is one of my favorite 90s songs. So it was a pleasure for hearing it again.

I second that. I know there's some people on IORR who don't like it, but I think it was awesome to hear it in Zurich. It's a great song to be played live, IMO.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:39

Cristiano Radtke
Ladykiller
carlorossi
Ladykiller

I second that. I know there's some people on IORR who don't like it, but I think it was awesome to hear it in Zurich. It's a great song to be played live, IMO.

For me, it just brings back very good memories. I kept hearing it (I think on the radio) during a wonderful summer when I first went to more than one Stones show on a tour. It was such a good time in my life - nice weather, good stuff going on, and lots of Stones shows! cool smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:21

I second all that donnywas says - great review!

So glad you enjoyed your first show, gipsy12 - you picked a good one!

Loved the pilot announcement story, MOWAT smiling smiley)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:24

Cristiano Radtke
Ladykiller
carlorossi
Ladykiller

I agree as well - the guitars were fantastic and it was a great second number.

Pleased to know you got home safe and sound, Cristiano, and even more pleased to have met you!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:28

Beast
Cristiano Radtke
Ladykiller
carlorossi
Ladykiller

I agree as well - the guitars were fantastic and it was a great second number.

Pleased to know you got home safe and sound, Cristiano, and even more pleased to have met you!

Many thanks, Beast. It was a pleasure to have met you, too. smileys with beer

BTW, when I was going back home, I've thought about this Bill Monroe quote, which applies it very well to this board and to everyone of us, I think, just replacing the Stones instead of bluegrass: “Bluegrass has brought more people together and made more friends than any music in the world. You meet people at festivals and renew acquaintances year after year.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-04 02:01 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:03

Cool review donnywas - thanks for that.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:31

Cristiano Radtke

I second that. I know there's some people on IORR who don't like it, but I think it was awesome to hear it in Zurich. It's a great song to be played live, IMO.[/quote]

It's a good song, most would probably agree. In fact, if they had only played it a couple times over the years and then whipped it out now, it would be a pleasant surprise. I think people are just befuddled as to how it attained warhorse status so quickly. But if the audience really does dig it, then I say play it, and play it well.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 4, 2014 03:16

Just killing a bit of time at Gatwick airport for 5.30am flight to Almeria.

Last surviving Stones fan in Zurich today.
Been up to Uetliberg up in the mountains and so warm up there.

Up to the top of the tower and fantastic views of the whole Zurich area.

Took a great video while getting over my vertigo. eye popping smiley

Been looking at the recent posts and great to see the reviews of the gig.
Manofwealthandtaste was great review and love the pic of Suzi Quatro really having a good time in the crowd. thumbs up

Hope to see some of you in Madrid in a few weeks time................and I know it's gonna be a great gig. >grinning smiley<

Date: June 4, 2014 03:27

One thing I keep meaning to mention is Darryl getting a longer solo I noticed at Oslo and Zurich , and also more than one on Miss you and a couple more.
It definitely adds something extra to a great song.

He is a world class bass player in all types of music he plays. thumbs up

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 4, 2014 03:40

Nice to see them fill a stadium again. We could not do that in the states.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 4, 2014 06:59

Hi all,
I just got back to the US yesterday after seeing Lisbon and Zurich....I thought Zurich had the higher level of energy - and Keith and Mick were actually flirting with each other! I'm not good at remembering when the following happened (i.e. what song):

Keith bumped into Mick (purposefully) and Mick lost balance, having to take a few hops to the side to recover

Mick came up and shared Keith's mic for a few words during one song (tho I don't think Keith was singing)

Plus, my opinion on perhaps why MT was not introduced in Lisbon....perhaps his solo was not good enough that night....in Zurich, MT went out of his way to make his mark during MR with a long solo and lots of interplay wiht MJ (making his guitar mimic MJ's harmonica)...and MJ could do nothing but introduce him immediately after the song was over.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: June 4, 2014 08:46

I love the Worried About You clip.

During the first bit Keith approaches Mick in a 'you ok mate, I got ya back' kind of way.

Glimmers love.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: June 4, 2014 09:47

Brstonesfan
Nice to see them fill a stadium again. We could not do that in the states.

I wonder....Maybe with the right marketing and affordable ticket pricing, they could do US stadiums one more time..

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: rollingknokke ()
Date: June 4, 2014 10:31

What a concert!! All of us must be happy to can go to a concert of the Stones. They were great. Thanks for all the information here on the site. love to read all the comments and to see now your video's.
thanks a lot. Respect for the stones and for this forum.

greets

Pat.

Posted by: Anastasia60 ()
Date: June 4, 2014 11:40

Hello Michael!
We hope to see you in Paris aussi! It was a pleasure to meet you also- see you on the Canal St. Martin smiling smiley

Date: June 4, 2014 12:02

Anastasia60
Hello Michael!
We hope to see you in Paris aussi! It was a pleasure to meet you also- see you on the Canal St. Martin smiling smiley

Hi girls,
smiling smiley
you may send a private message for a date chez Berthillon...
smoking smiley
Best regards,
Michael le Berlinois.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 4, 2014 12:14

FanOfGRARBITW wroteQ "Maybe with the right marketing and affordable ticket pricing, they could do US stadiums one more time..."

With reasonable ticket prices they could do everything, everywhere, I think... But, as I see, in the last years all the big live acts are prefering to do arenas, no stadiums, in North America. Jusrt an example: In 2014, Springsteen did 16 gigs in North America. He did 15 arenas and just one stadium of 31,000 capacity. And noone was sell out...

I guess that the market in USA - Canada is a bit satiated these years. High frequency of shows, famous acts being on tour again and again- who knows? But it still surprises me when I see (just an example) on Billboard's Boxscore that acts like Bod Dylan and Aerosmith are not able to attract, by affortable ticket prices, more than 8,000 peaople at Air Canada Center,a venue that contains the double audience...

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 4, 2014 12:47

@crawdaddy you went up there, that's great, please share the video smiling smiley

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Date: June 4, 2014 15:10

Hi zgubi. Just got over here in Spain till the time of the Madrid gig meeting a few friends in differant places.

It certainly was spectacular views from the top of the Tower.

It's only a very amateur thing and not that great.Only my voice in it gabbling on.
Nothing like your Silver Train one.
I have a youtube account and will try to transfer it from my Blackberry Playbook.
Not that great with computers,but will give it a go smiling smiley

In Zürich
Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: June 9, 2014 15:32

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819
Current Page: 19 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home