Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 14 of 19
Re: Zürich 01 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:29

DoomandGloom
MR Video = Zapruder Film

seriously! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out except there apparently isn't one...

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 2, 2014 06:00

Just like there doesn't ever seem to be many pics of MT on stage on this leg of the Tour, what gives??

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 2, 2014 08:19

kowalski
Gimme Shelter -

Seems as if they did somerhing with the mix for GS since the beginning of this Euro tour-much better. Guitar section with a cool blend of RW and KR which gives the song a richer sound-unlike many of the 2013-4 GS that were great, but not guitar wise.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 2, 2014 08:53

The unsung star of what's being presented as The Rolling Stones is Ron Wood. (Other than Mick, who is still at star level). With Keith's physical dexterity extremely limited, Wood has to shoulder more and more of the guitar work. (Just as Keith had that load when Brian faltered).

If it was not expected that the Stones would be (except for cameos) a two-guitar band, at this point most groups would pull in a third guitarist to beef up the sound and make sure the songs are reproduced correctly on stage. We know that can't happen, and shouldn't. If Keith can't go, then IT shouldn't go. And if Keith wants to go, and enough people still want to hear him try, then gold rings on ya or whatever that saying is.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2014 09:06

The big difference with 2012/2013, well at least the 2012 shows is that Keith is no longer dead serious on stage...a behavior that had warranted a comment by Mick along the lines of "the 5 concerts went great, Keith is focused on his playing, etc...". In a way it's nicer to see him as he is now, all smiles and shoving Mick around rather than looking as if he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth like at the O2 but if he's starting to make more mistakes...each one of them must annoy Mick to no end.

Anyway...JJF and GS in the excellent ecollector series here : [www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 09:12 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 2, 2014 09:26

gotdablouse
looking as if he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth like at the O2

Seriously, that's the impression people got? I wasn't right up close on the 25th, so didn't see all the night's nuances, but this wasn't my overall impression, except that he did sound rather nervous. So in those terms, it IS nice that he's loosening up. smiling smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: June 2, 2014 09:42

Keith tying his shoe during Doom and Gloom smiling smiley

Mick was fantastic, BTW. And is was an honour to meet Lee „Scratch“ Perry after the show.

On to Tel Aviv.

Date: June 2, 2014 09:44

That expression came up a few times at the time and I think it was fairly accurate. While we can argue the finer points, I'm sure we can all agree that there's a big difference between Keith's attitude on stage in 2012 and in 2014, especially last night in Zurich based on the videos. Again, it's "nicer" to see him like that but if that means hitting more (and more) bum notes, well...that won't go down well with the fans (see the brief reports we've had from last night), so imagine how Mick feels about it!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 2, 2014 09:49

Keith has always had his ups and downs--I guess I'll just take the ups, of which there are still plenty. But arthritis is really difficult to deal with--I sympathize with his struggle.

Oh well, never mind about that, I'm now totally distracted by the fact that latvianinexile met Lee "Scratch" Perry!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:05

But the thing is , every now and again he has a night where it all works

Date: June 2, 2014 10:05

A nice 16 minute compilation of Zurich last night here, including MR starting at 6'10" and you can see Taylor walking backstage to grab a guitar, no tension visible from anyone involved as far as I can tell...

--------------

Date: June 2, 2014 10:12

Oh and the bows here, and no Taylor so I think we can put that "issue" to bed for good for the "14 on Fire in Europe" tour ;-)

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 11:06 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: jjf1965 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:48

From my point of view MT had 2 serious problems on MR. First it seemed that he could not hear his monitor and later his guitar broke (string or other technical problem) Then he was pissed, gave up and played some air guitar next to Keith. Then he got a new guitar and this was not tuned. Sorry for him, such a short appearance and then such a mess.

Date: June 2, 2014 10:49

gotdablouse
That expression came up a few times at the time and I think it was fairly accurate. While we can argue the finer points, I'm sure we can all agree that there's a big difference between Keith's attitude on stage in 2012 and in 2014, especially last night in Zurich based on the videos. Again, it's "nicer" to see him like that but if that means hitting more (and more) bum notes, well...that won't go down well with the fans (see the brief reports we've had from last night), so imagine how Mick feels about it!

I think your expression is a bit light-hearted and not that accurate.

For instance, Keith was kicking and posing on I Wanna Be Your Man, smiling and joking (while playing guitar on BTMMR), as well as really rocking it up on MR and OOC.

However, there were moments were he looked very serious and focused. And that was on songs that are hard for him to do nowadays (probably because of his fingers), like GS among a few others.

So, imo, the picture is more nuanced. Of course, one might get that impression of the whole show, if one noticed this during a few songs. But it wasn't quite how it was.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:51

EJM
But the thing is , every now and again he has a night where it all works

Do you get a refund if it doesn't? Thought not...

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: June 2, 2014 11:00

Midnight Rambler Zurich 2014

(8:22 - 9:35 MT's guitar incident)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 11:18 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 2, 2014 11:15

The set list i ZÜRICH, SWITZERLAND:

01 Start Me Up
02 You Got Me Rocking
03 It's Only Rock'n Roll
04 Tumbling Dice
05 Worried About You

06 Doom & Gloom
07 Let's Spend The Night Together (by request)
08 Out Of Control
09 Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
10 You Got The Silver (Keith)

11 Can't Be Seen (Keith)
12 Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
13 Miss You
14 Gimme Shelter
15 Juming Jack Flash

16 Sympathy For The Devil
17 Brown Sugar
--- Band off stage
18 You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)
19 Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Bjornulf

Date: June 2, 2014 11:22

MarkSchneider
Midnight Rambler Zurich 2014
[www.youtube.com]

(8:22 - 9:35 MT's guitar incident)

Thanks, well whoever thought this was a "quarrel between Keith and Taylor" has, er...issues I'm afraid. It's too bad they don't have a spare guitar handy for him but they worked through it - oh and Mick did do his usual "thank you Mick Taylor, take a bow Mick" in the end...we can move on to better things!

--------------

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: June 2, 2014 12:32

1 more interesting thing, during the soundcheck Bitch, YGMR and YCAGWYW (with choir) were played. Bitch was 1 of the candidates for the fan vote. However LSTNT was in the setlist as the request song.......

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 2, 2014 12:41

jjf1965
From my point of view MT had 2 serious problems on MR. First it seemed that he could not hear his monitor and later his guitar broke (string or other technical problem) Then he was pissed, gave up and played some air guitar next to Keith. Then he got a new guitar and this was not tuned. Sorry for him, such a short appearance and then such a mess.

From where I was in GC Keith's side, we could see that they changed the string on the same guitar. It seems MT does not have a second guitar. And of course, when you change string in haste, it does not stay in tune. This was the problem, I think.

Date: June 2, 2014 12:45

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

For instance, Keith was kicking and posing on I Wanna Be Your Man, smiling and joking (while playing guitar on BTMMR), as well as really rocking it up on MR and OOC.

However, there were moments were he looked very serious and focused. And that was on songs that are hard for him to do nowadays (probably because of his fingers), like GS among a few others.

So, imo, the picture is more nuanced. Of course, one might get that impression of the whole show, if one noticed this during a few songs. But it wasn't quite how it was.

As occasional guitar player, the mistakes we saw yesterday are so basic that it does make me worried about Keith for the future. As somebody commented above, Ronnie is now carrying all the load.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 2, 2014 12:46

MartinB
jjf1965

From where I was in GC Keith's side, we could see that they changed the string on the same guitar. It seems MT does not have a second guitar. And of course, when you change string in haste, it does not stay in tune. This was the problem, I think.
Very professional

Date: June 2, 2014 12:48

MartinB
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

As occasional guitar player, the mistakes we saw yesterday are so basic that it does make me worried about Keith for the future. As somebody commented above, Ronnie is now carrying all the load.

Which might explain why suddenly Gimme Shelter sounds as it shout - a 2 leading guitar number... not as it was in 2012-4 (prior to Oslo). Ronnie is high on the mix!

Date: June 2, 2014 13:11

Enthusiastic review in Swiss newspaper:

[www.tagesanzeiger.ch]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 2, 2014 13:46

MartinB

[www.tagesanzeiger.ch]

In fact, euphoric, but too euphoric in my opinion. The point is: "Die Stones haben bei den Pariser Proben im Februar fast siebzig Stücke anprobiert aus ihrem immensen Repertoire, und wenn man ihnen etwas vorwerfen kann an diesem Abend, dann die eine oder andere Auswahl der 19 aufgeführten Nummern." They rehearsed 70 tracks and the set list consists in the same some 20 tracks they played for 25 years.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 13:51

MartinB

[www.tagesanzeiger.ch]

A beautiful review, must read for those who understand german. Thanks!

But... Was it sold out or not? The review says no, the foto legend says yes...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2014 14:27

So, to sum up, in the last day or so Taylor is so out of favour that he's not being introduced or included in the final bows, has left the band and was spotted 600 miles away in London three hours before the band were due onstage in Switzerland and then managed to get to Zurich on time to have an almighty punch up with Keith onstage.

Did I miss anything or was he kidnapped by aliens while playing acoustic on 'Satisfaction' as well?

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: June 2, 2014 14:31

Gazza
So, to sum up, in the last day or so Taylor is so out of favour that he's not being introduced or included in the final bows, has left the band and was spotted 600 miles away in London three hours before the band were due onstage in Switzerland and then managed to get to Zurich on time to have an almighty punch up with Keith onstage.

Did I miss anything or was he kidnapped by aliens while playing acoustic on 'Satisfaction' as well?

All in a day's work for Taylor...

Posted by: elvisloose ()
Date: June 2, 2014 14:31

hey, this was a really fantastic show...why complaining on this, complaining on that. If Keith is doing one "bling"...this got more heart & soul than 10 Dire Straits concerts...

Date: June 2, 2014 14:35

Gazza

IORR member mtaylor said he just saw one Mick Taylor in London. Couldn't de mystify this this this morning I was waiting for the green light and noticed I can see one Wroclaw reflection at one vehicles dark window... smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 14 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home