Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19
Re: Zürich 01 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 2, 2014 22:59

lem motlow
its the pattern here lately,the fans who went to a show post about how great it was,how much fun they had,how good the band sounded and then theres a group of others

Yes, very sad indeed. But please don't let that "group of others" take away your fun. Just keep on posting how much you enjoyed. I am still one of those who loves to read the reviews from people who actually were there and I don't give a flying fock about what those naggers might think.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:04

so mt has a technical problem with his guitar and i read this thread and learn that it is a quarrel no, it is a fight to the point of wrestling between him and keith, more: the quarrel is that keith is possibly angry because of mt playing too long...

then i see this

MarkSchneider
Midnight Rambler Zurich 2014

(8:22 - 9:35 MT's guitar incident)

hey what's wrong in here people

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:14

Ladykiller
Gazza
Ladykiller

But there was really one sad moment. Tina Turner was on the VIP seats (right side). Why the f*** she didn't performed 1 song as a guest vocalist with The Rolling Stones??

Well, Tina has been pretty much semi-retired for the last decade or more. I'm sure she attends quite a few gigs near where she lives but doesnt jump on stage at any of them.

I read, that she had a storke, last week. A performance with the Stones would have been the best proof, that everything is okay with her.

I've a photo from Tina Turner (not the best, because she was sitting behind a window), which I would like to share with you. Can someone please tell me, how I can upload it?

You can upload it here [www.imagilive.com] and then copy and paste the link in your message

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:20

I think most bands sounds better today than say 10 or 30 years ago. I guess it has to do with technical improvements on the sound equipment.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:32

dcba
lem motlow

to those who dont want them to play the "warhorses" anymore,you are being jerks.the stones doing brown sugar or satisfaction or jumping jack flash is a triumpant moment,an iconic band playing iconic songs live right in front of you

Mix in one or two rarities per show and you'd get the perfect live formula...
hey wait a minute, this is exactly what Jagger's been doing since 2012! grinning smiley

Those were the songs in Lisboa everybody knew and could sing along with / were in high spirit / dancing and hopping, and I guess that's what it is all about.

Would have been fun to hear Moonlight Mile, Sway - but most people wouldn't have fun.

Date: June 2, 2014 23:40

Here are some pictures I took in Zurich, aiming to write a report as well......

The birthday boy...

Giving it some Sympathy....

Getting ready to head for Tel Aviv this afternoon......

Date: June 2, 2014 23:41

I bet people sang along to Miss You, SFTD, Start Me Up, HTW and Satisfaction as well smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:49

watched the videos, looked like a great show...

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:53

maumau
so mt has a technical problem with his guitar and i read this thread and learn that it is a quarrel no, it is a fight to the point of wrestling between him and keith, more: the quarrel is that keith is possibly angry because of mt playing too long...

then i see this

MarkSchneider
Midnight Rambler Zurich 2014

(8:22 - 9:35 MT's guitar incident)

hey what's wrong in here people

Thanks for posting, Mark - now we have the solution of all these riddles and worries. Mick's guitar clearsly gets heavily out of tune so he hands it to the back to get it fixed. Usually, at that point in the show, he would play licks and fills to interact with Jagger, but now he can't.

You can see him in the back, playing air guitar, quite amusing, then throwing his pick into the air in a guesture of resignation. Later, Keith turns to Charlie and clearly grins from one ear to the other - that's just things which happen during shows and it has to take more to get the Stones out of the flow during the show...

I must admit to be relieved - at first I had thought there really could have been some quarrel between Mick T and Keith. Well then, on with the show...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 23:54 by waterrats.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:58

DandelionPowderman
I bet people sang along to Miss You, SFTD, Start Me Up, HTW and Satisfaction as well smiling smiley

Yes, exactly - Start me Up everybody was up and singing.
The same with SFTD etc.

I guess we are a minority that would like the hear the hidden gems....

And it was great to see all the young people in the crowd.
Like I was discussing with my wife - only 5-10% > 60 yo, majority <40 yo.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 3, 2014 00:04

gotdablouse
Ladykiller
Gazza
Ladykiller

But there was really one sad moment. Tina Turner was on the VIP seats (right side). Why the f*** she didn't performed 1 song as a guest vocalist with The Rolling Stones??

Well, Tina has been pretty much semi-retired for the last decade or more. I'm sure she attends quite a few gigs near where she lives but doesnt jump on stage at any of them.

I read, that she had a storke, last week. A performance with the Stones would have been the best proof, that everything is okay with her.

I've a photo from Tina Turner (not the best, because she was sitting behind a window), which I would like to share with you. Can someone please tell me, how I can upload it?

You can upload it here [www.imagilive.com] and then copy and paste the link in your message

Thanx! Here it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 00:07 by Ladykiller.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 3, 2014 00:27

lem motlow
muenke
It was a fun Show in Zürich, some Songs worked very well (GS - very loud guitars, Worried About You - cool and soulfull version, LSTNT - first time live for me and it was slow, but great, SFTD - very good solo by Keith imo, same on HTW), some not that good (BS, Can´t be seen). I love Taylor but RW did a phantastic Job yesterday, some great solos ...

And one thing is for sure: 98,5 % of the crowd wanted to hear those "greatest hits" ... for the rest (like me) we got MT on Rambler! Point! smileys with beer

to those who don't want them to play the "warhorses" anymore,you are being jerks.the stones doing brown sugar or satisfaction or jumping jack flash is a triumphant moment,an iconic band playing iconic songs live right in front of you

-

I don't think anyone really/seriously wants or expects that (and you can include HTW in there)....but my reading of the situation is that quite a few wouldn't complain if Tumbling dice, Start me up, Miss you, iorr and even Sympathy were parked for a while and some equally good Stones songs were dusted off, re-learnt and well rehearsed for 'our' live delight.
Personally I reckon they should start a show with Sympathy if only to get all those whoo whoos outta the way.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 00:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: June 3, 2014 00:29

waterrats
Thanks for posting, Mark - now we have the solution of all these riddles and worries. Mick's guitar clearsly gets heavily out of tune so he hands it to the back to get it fixed. Usually, at that point in the show, he would play licks and fills to interact with Jagger, but now he can't.

If it had just been out of tune, Taylor would have remedied the problem himself.
We established last night (CET - see about 5 pages back) that he broke a string and that was the reason he handed the guitar to the tech.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 00:42 by Chacal.

Date: June 3, 2014 00:36

He clearly busted a string. And when was handed a guitar back it was out of tune. All guitar players who have been in that situation know that you can't do nothing but laughing it off. First you get worried, then it gets funny smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:43

I am still on a Rolling Stones high from Zurich and seeing their plane take off was just the icing on the cake. The entrance fee to the observation deck was five Swiss francs well spent! Their plane waited so long to take off that I barely squeaked onto my own plane - a few minutes more and the door would have closed. After a while on the deck, I was approached by a very meek-looking Swiss lady, aged 75 at the very least, who obviously recognised that I wasn't your average plane spotter - because neither was she. I speak no German and she spoke no English but she communicated to me that she'd been at the show the night before and that she loved the Rolling Stones. She mimicked her heart pounding when the plane taxied by and tears rolling down her cheeks when it left. She also very sweetly took a Rolling Stones Established in 1962 badge out of her pocket and bestowed it on me before hurrying me off to my plane. It was one of those lovely encounters that just happen if you're a Rolling Stones fan.

And that's what it was like all along in Zurich - another one of those trips where you are lucky enough to be seeing the Rolling Stones and then you also meet congenial fellow fans, including some you've only ever known before as a username, in a picturesque city enjoying good weather. What's not to like?!

As far as I'm concerned, the Rolling Stones are still a phenomenal live act like no other. Did I hear any mistakes? I sure did and a fair few of them as well beyond the ones mentioned. Is this something new? No. Did it spoil my enjoyment? Not one jot. And from where I stood, I can't say I noticed it spoiling anyone else's enjoyment either. Probably those mistakes lasted for a total of a minute out of a two-hour show - DOH - and I'd be mad to stand around dissecting a few fleeting mistakes instead of carrying on enjoying what follow them. When they do make a mistake, I like seeing anyway how they recover from it and recover they do.

Same goes for the setlist. I can read any setlist written in black and white and form an opinion, but the real proof of any setlist is in the pudding and that means being there. Ditto the tinny-sounding phone videos. No way can you get any of the atmosphere from all these uploads. You have to be there. And how very much more boring a setlist would be if it was played robotically and note-perfect every single time. If that was the case, then I might as well sit at home and play Rolling Stones records all night - and I can do that any old time already, so I'll take the other choice while it's still on offer because some day it won't be.

They tricked us with Bitch alright. After hearing it in the sound check, it was the certain fan choice, we all thought. Har har… It sounded good though and I can't imagine they won't play it sooner or later for some lucky audience. Highlights for me were Worried About You (so tremendous that it almost made you want to cry), You Got Me Rockin and Out of Control. And shoot me down but I even loved Can't Be Seen, warts and all. It looked to me as if Keith was trying very hard to look at a teleprompter of some kind initially and then gave up after a few lines. Anyone can say what they like about Keith Richards, but he still produces sublime and priceless sounds that only he can. Charlie is always solidly pounding away there at the back and don't they and we all just rightly love him for it. Ronnie does not receive enough credit and recognition for the clever and inspired guitarist he really is, which was well in evidence in Zurich. And Mick of course is set to remain the best frontman ever - forever.

I was puzzled suddenly to see a guitarless MT dancing about at the back and playing air guitar, but how on earth this got blown up into a fisticuffs with Keith is beyond me. And about Tina Turner - I also read a rumour that she had recently suffered a stroke, which was denied by her camp and it has to be said that she looks radiant in that photo. So who knows. She is about 75 now, so maybe she's hung up her dancing shoes. She must be pals too with Lisa, who was a backing singer on at least one relatively recent tour.

Roll on Berlin is all I can say.

Oh yes - I forgot to mention that only Keith Richards can look that good in such a luridly luminous pink shirt!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 02:32 by Beast.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:55

Beast
I am still on a Rolling Stones high from Zurich and seeing their plane take off was just the icing on the cake. The entrance fee to the observation deck was five Swiss francs well spent! Their plane waited so long to take off that I barely squeaked onto my own plane - a few minutes more and the door would have closed. After a while on the deck, I was approached by a very meek-looking Swiss lady, aged 75 at the very least, who obviously recognised that I wasn't your average plane spotter - because neither was she. I speak no German and she spoke no English but she communicated to me that she'd been at the show the night before and that she loved the Rolling Stones. She mimicked her heart pounding when the plane taxied by and tears rolling down her cheeks when it left. She also very sweetly took a Rolling Stones Established in 1962 badge out of her pocket and bestowed it on me before hurrying me off to my plane. It was one of those lovely encounters that just happen if you're a Rolling Stones fan.

And that's what it was like all along in Zurich - another one of those trips where you are lucky enough to be seeing the Rolling Stones and then you also meet congenial fellow fans, including some you've only ever known before as a username, in a picturesque city enjoying good weather. What's not to like?!

As far as I'm concerned, the Rolling Stones are still a phenomenal live act like no other. Did I hear any mistakes? I sure did and a fair few of them as well beyond the ones mentioned. Is this something new? No. Did it spoil my enjoyment? Not one jot. And from where I stood, I can't say I noticed it spoiling anyone else's enjoyment either. Probably those mistakes lasted for a total of a minute out of a two-hour show - DOH - and I'd be mad to stand around dissecting a few fleeting mistakes instead of carrying on enjoying what follow them. When they do make a mistake, I like seeing anyway how they recover from it and recover they do.

Same goes for the setlist. I can read any setlist written in black and white and form an opinion, but the real proof of any setlist is in the pudding and that means being there. Ditto the tinny-sounding phone videos. No way can you get any of the atmosphere from all these uploads. You have to be there. And how very much more boring a setlist would be if it was played robotically and note-perfect every single time. If that was the case, then I might as well sit at home and play Rolling Stones records all night - and I can do that any old time already, so I'll take the other choice while it's still on offer because some day it won't be.

They tricked us with Bitch alright. After hearing it in the sound check, it was the certain fan choice, we all thought. Har har… It sounded good though and I can't imagine they won't play it sooner or later for some lucky audience. Highlights for me were Worried About You (so tremendous that it almost made you want to cry), You Got Me Rockin and Out of Control. And shoot me down but I even loved Can't Be Seen, warts and all. It looked to me as if Keith was trying very hard to look at a teleprompter of some kind initially and then gave up after a few lines. Anyone can say what they like about Keith Richards, but he still produces sublime and priceless sounds that only he can. Charlie is always solidly pounding away there at the back and don't they and we all just rightly love him for it. Ronnie does not receive enough credit and recognition for the clever and inspired guitarist he really is, which was well in evidence in Zurich. And Mick of course is set to remain the best frontman ever - forever.

I was puzzled suddenly to see a guitarless MT dancing about at the back and playing air guitar, but how on earth this got blown up into a fisticuffs with Keith is beyond me. And about Tina Turner - I also read a rumour that she had recently suffered a stroke, which was denied by her camp and it has to be said that she looks radiant in that photo. So who knows. She is about 75 now, so maybe she's hung up her dancing shoes. She must be pals too with Lisa, who was a backing singer on at least one relatively recent tour.

What a lovely review - after all the nonsense posted yesterday its great to hear how it felt to be there ( when you can't be there yourself)

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:59

Beast

And about Tina Turner - I also read a rumour that she had recently suffered a stroke, which was denied by her camp and it has to be said that she looks radiant in that photo. So who knows. She is about 75 now, so maybe she's hung up her dancing shoes. She must be pals too with Lisa, who was a backing singer on at least one relatively recent tour.

I saw Tina Turner dancing behind her seat. During 'Brown Sugar' she disapeard. And I hoped so much, that she sings with Mick in 'Satisfaction'.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:11

Before arrival of limos:

After arrival of limos:

Moved into taxiing position:

Taxiing towards the runway:

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:13

Some of my pics

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:13

Great review Beast.

Heard that I just missed seeing you in Stray Cat Bar Sunday afternoon.
Didn't leave there till about 7p.m. but still in time to find buyer for LD ticket and take my seat in Block 5, not far from Tina. smileys with beer

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:14

I haven't had a chance to read through all of this thread. I'll catch up tomorrow but I agree with EJM about Beast's review - loved your observation deck story! smiling smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:20

One more

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:23

That pic of Mick and Charlie was when they had a chat about whether he introduced Bobby Keys or not.
Mick then said,'Yeah!.......I did introduce Bobby'.
Old age creeps up on us all,when we can't remember what we done 5 minutes ago. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:39

I've just got home now, after 12 hours of flight between Zürich-Lisbon-Porto Alegre and after meeting such a very good people in Lisbon and in Zürich. It was great to meet in Zurich Crawdaddy, Zgubi, Beast, Marianne, Spain73 and a lot of other people that I don't remember now. This was one of my biggest weekends ever! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 02:42 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:45

Ladykiller
It was so great to hear "You Got Me Rocking"

This isn't a shot at you, but I suspect this is the first time I've read that statement here!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 3, 2014 02:54

Beast, how lovely that you saw the plane leaving!

Whose is that white car/limo in front of the others, any clue?

Thank you for the fantastic take on the show.
Hope to run into you soon.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:32

treaclefingers
Ladykiller
That was a great show again. Sir Mick Jagger is truly amazing, ultimate best frontman in a rockband. It was so great to hear "You Got Me Rocking" & "Lets Spend The Night Together". Also Mick Jagger on keyboards during "Worried About You" was somthing new for me.

The Temperance Movement were good, but they could have been also for 45 minutes instead of only 25 minutes on stage.

That's remarkable isn't it...I read a while back she was ill...not that she was even necessarily even considered, but I wonder if that may have been an issue in the consideration.

Occasionally performers themselves just like to take in a performance of their favorite musical acts. Just because they are in the same room together, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to perform onstage together.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:51

Beast

Oh yes - I forgot to mention that only Keith Richards can look that good in such a luridly luminous pink shirt!

Great review. see you in a week!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 3, 2014 04:36

How was the attendance?

Date: June 3, 2014 04:43

Thank you for the first hand reviews, the videos and pics. Zurich looks like a beautiful city! I know what its like to travel to a city far from home and then meet up with a bunch of Stones fans and you instantly have a group of cool friends with really great taste in music. The Stones give so much joy to so many people all over the world ~ and the little mistakes are what make each night special and unique. Traveling with the Stones is not a only a concert, its an adventure! I am so happy that even if I cant make it to Europe I still get to experience it through my fellow diehards!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home