Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29
Re: Oslo 26 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:06

It seems from all the vids and photos that Mick was genuinely happy to be at this stage.I wonder if Oslo audience gave him some extra love

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:08

Mick had a message for all of you that complain about the total number of songs in the set list. I think it was before Honky Tonk Women, that Mick pointed out the fact that when they did their first gig in Norway some 49 years ago, they only played 9 songs - which he admitted was "a bit cheap". And now, half a century later (when they're in their 70s), they perform a phenomenal concert lasting for more than two hours.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:09

proudmary
It seems from all the vids and photos that Mick was genuinely happy to be at this stage.I wonder if Oslo audience gave him some extra love

I noticed this too. He seemed in good spirits.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:14

Setlist complaints are nonsense. The shows are longer than many of their prime eras. The RS were never known for playing a different show each night, that's the Grateful Dead. I loved them as well but a different experience. I watched the MR from yesterday, it could not be better. A miracle, there is only one band on earth that can bring this level of legitimacy to the stage. I wish I was there but am waiting patiently here in New York.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 00:14 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:14

Gazza

If they dont know the band's catalogue by now (and no, I'm not expecting them to have an anally retentive insight into it), its their problem. Not ours. Nor the band's. Rolling Stones CDs cost about 5-10% the cost of a Rolling Stones concert ticket. The band really shouldnt have to be held musically hostage to people who have more money than musical taste,

I don't think it's an audience problem it's a band problem. Jagger knows what he and what he can't expect from his band members. In 2012-14 they're bound to play songs they know well.

The Stones have never been the Jimi Hendrix Exp : in 67 JH and his band listened to "Sergeant Pepper" once backstage before a show and pfff! they decided to play the song live, and they did,and they did it well. The Stones have never been like this : they're a slow machine.

They can't play "Hang Fire" or "Hand Of Fate" like this <snap of fingers>

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:18

[www.youtube.com]

MR Great sounding clip, nicest sound (more meaty/weighty I've seen of Oslo gig) so far for this tune.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:26

The Worst.
Mick had a message for all of you that complain about the total number of songs in the set list. I think it was before Honky Tonk Women, that Mick pointed out the fact that when they did their first gig in Norway some 49 years ago, they only played 9 songs - which he admitted was "a bit cheap". And now, half a century later (when they're in their 70s), they perform a phenomenal concert lasting for more than two hours.

thumbs up

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:27

The Worst.

You were there,The Worst? Did he say something else? some jokes in Norwegian? and what the story about the A-Ha song?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:30

dcba
Gazza

If they dont know the band's catalogue by now (and no, I'm not expecting them to have an anally retentive insight into it), its their problem. Not ours. Nor the band's. Rolling Stones CDs cost about 5-10% the cost of a Rolling Stones concert ticket. The band really shouldnt have to be held musically hostage to people who have more money than musical taste,

I don't think it's an audience problem it's a band problem. Jagger knows what he and what he can't expect from his band members. In 2012-14 they're bound to play songs they know well.

The Stones have never been the Jimi Hendrix Exp : in 67 JH and his band listened to "Sergeant Pepper" once backstage before a show and pfff! they decided to play the song live, and they did,and they did it well. The Stones have never been like this : they're a slow machine.

They can't play "Hang Fire" or "Hand Of Fate" like this <snap of fingers>

i agree they dont pick and play like it is a snap o fingers

also there is the idea of pace and crescendo that mick is very fond of. it demands songs well known by the band and himself. he wants to work the crowd he doesnt want think about the lyrics to remember.. it is not by chance that midnight rambler is the peak and turning point of the show.

i believe mick is very obsessive and conservative with that. it is a limit for sure - no real reason not to put lets say till the next time instead of horses - but, on the other hand, i must say by the shows i attended recently the whole crescendo structure works, you cant say it doesnt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 00:38 by maumau.

Date: May 28, 2014 00:56

proudmary

We did! thumbs up

Mick was fantastic.

Date: May 28, 2014 01:00

proudmary
The Worst.

You were there,The Worst? Did he say something else? some jokes in Norwegian? and what the story about the A-Ha song?

He joked about the norwegians probably rather would have voted for Take On Me. Then he sang a couple of lines from it and concluded that it was too high-pitched for him. Very funny smiling smiley

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:09

Was sure I had put the link to Keith's "You Got the Silver" here, but can't find that I've done so - so forgive me if it comes twice, but it's Keith; So it's a Good one cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]

All the Best!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:15

The Worst.
smileys with beer Gotta love Mick, he is a funny one...

As far as the set list whiners, what would be unusal is if there was ever a show thread where the exact same whiners did not show up posting their exact same whines, as if their whining would ever change a thing that The Stones will do on stage.

Date: May 28, 2014 01:20

Why whine about Worried About You, All Down The Line, Emotional Rescue, Let's Spend The Night Together and Can't Be Seen anyway? It's not like they're always playing these songs in Europe, is it?

This time they did change the setlist around a bit thumbs up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:25

DandelionPowderman
Why whine about Worried About You, All Down The Line, Emotional Rescue, Let's Spend The Night Together and Can't Be Seen anyway? It's not like they're always playing these songs in Europe, is it?

I liked your comment earlier about the songs at the end of the show, something like, who cares if they are the same songs, they are freeking GREAT SONGS and they play them so freeking well!! or something like that.

I should post the exact quote- ""We know the rest of the set, we heard the songs many times in concert - but when played well, those songs are the best songs in the world - and yesterday they were goose-bumpingly fantastic.""

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 03:49 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:27

DandelionPowderman

Yep. Some good choices last night.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:28

DoomandGloom
Setlist complaints are nonsense. The shows are longer than many of their prime eras. The RS were never known for playing a different show each night, that's the Grateful Dead. I loved them as well but a different experience. I watched the MR from yesterday, it could not be better. A miracle, there is only one band on earth that can bring this level of legitimacy to the stage. I wish I was there but am waiting patiently here in New York.....

...and I'm waiting not so patiently here in DC. smileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:32

DandelionPowderman

Your right ....but celebrating 50 years or more wouldn't misfit I'm A King Bee or something like that...I can name an other 25 pre '65 song that will do..... and most of them are easy to play pom pom pom pom thang....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:40

Gazza
DandelionPowderman

Yes, there is no need to whine about those songs or the first 8 songs of the show. But from song 9 the setlist is carved in stone. And the 2-song Keith set in the middle is frankly lame and unimaginative. Pee break quality.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:48

I'm not a huge fan of Cant Be Seen, Stoneage, but playing the song for the first time since 1990 isnt really unimaginative, in fairness.

Its good that he's digging into the post-1981 catalogue.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:49

Stoneage
Gazza
DandelionPowderman

Yes, there is no need to whine about those songs or the first 8 songs of the show. But from song 9 the setlist is carved in stone. And the 2-song Keith set in the middle is frankly lame and unimaginative. Pee break quality.
What has happened to the whining thread ?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 28, 2014 01:52

drbryant

You have to remember - how many people track Stones setlists on a nightly basis? Of those people, how many actually attended shows in the US or Asia on this latest tour and will be attending shows in Europe this summer? I'm just guessing, but maybe a couple hundred? This whole "setlist" thing has only become a fashionable topic since the internet has allowed people to sit at their computers monitoring the shows. I mean, back in 72, they played the same setlist every single night of the tour, and they were the greatest live band in history.

This, x 1000. The vast majority of people only attend one show, and they don't care what the band played at the previous show, or the one before that. I think the Oslo setlist was a great one, and if it was the only Stones show I was seeing this year, as I'm sure it was for most people who were there, I'd have been more than happy.

Date: May 28, 2014 01:59

You're probably right, Gazza. Maybe I'm a bit biased by the fact that I'm not particularly impressed by the Keith set to begin with.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 28, 2014 02:02

Aquamarine
drbryant

You have to remember - how many people track Stones setlists on a nightly basis? Of those people, how many actually attended shows in the US or Asia on this latest tour and will be attending shows in Europe this summer? I'm just guessing, but maybe a couple hundred? This whole "setlist" thing has only become a fashionable topic since the internet has allowed people to sit at their computers monitoring the shows. I mean, back in 72, they played the same setlist every single night of the tour, and they were the greatest live band in history.

This, x 1000. The vast majority of people only attend one show, and they don't care what the band played at the previous show, or the one before that. I think the Oslo setlist was a great one, and if it was the only Stones show I was seeing this year, as I'm sure it was for most people who were there, I'd have been more than happy.

But they do care who play. And who play is related to what they play, as we have seen and heard.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 28, 2014 02:08

EJM
Stoneage
Gazza
DandelionPowderman

All the real whiners are gone..........

Date: May 28, 2014 02:10

Dr Bryant has a point there. But the difference is that back in 1972 most songs were less than 4 years old and not that "overplayed" live.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 28, 2014 02:22

NICOS
EJM
Stoneage
Gazza
DandelionPowderman

All the real whiners are gone..........

all tortured into silence............now, where have I heard that before?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 28, 2014 03:00

Stoneage
Dr Bryant has a point there. But the difference is that back in 1972 most songs were less than 4 years old and not that "overplayed" live.

Overplayed in what sense, though? Again, if you're only going to one show, as the vast majority of people are, you're only hearing that song live once, even if they play it at every other gig on the tour.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 28, 2014 03:13

The Worst.

I don't think Mick had any message for those people. He was pointing out how things have changed. Mick could care less about the people who count songs.

Rolling Stones - Oslo 26 May 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 28, 2014 03:15

From Telenor Arena's Facebook:

Per-Otto Oppi Christiansen

[www.facebook.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home