Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Date: May 13, 2014 14:57

<what I dislike : flourish, pretention, flakes, marketing inflation and obvious fashion following.>

Hm, those are both positive and negative words, Mark. Are you sure you dislike a band that flourishes?

It's a good word, though, because that's exactly what they did after Dirty Work - flourished!

They wrote lots of different music: African-inspired (Continental Drift), jazzy stuff (Terrifying), tex/mex (Blinded By Love), blues (Break The Spell), rock (Sad Sad Sad, Hold Onto Your Hat), pop (Can't Be Seen/Rock And A Hard Place, ballads (Almost Hear You Sigh/Slipping Away) - all to be featured on Steel Wheels.

Which other band did release a jazzy rock single like Terrifying in 1989?

Fashion following? That's exactly what they always have done - and why they are so good! They could spot something, grind it through their mill and make it their own. Exile is rooted in the Americana rock wave that was so popular at the time. Dancing With Mr. D. captures the glam wave. Hot Stuff and Miss You are right on the same funk and disco paths that were so popular at the time.

Pretentiousness? Try Time Waits For No One (And I don't mean that in a bad way - I love the pretentious Mick) grinning smiley

Marketing inflation? I don't know what that has to do with the music. It usually happens afterwards... Do you mean market-friendly music? It was single number four off that album...

Flakes? Corn flakes? confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 15:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2014 15:41

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

I just saw as one more notch on their belt, jazz. They'd successfully conquered so many genres and it was good to hear them go in a new direction. TO me it added to the depth and variety of Steel Wheels.

Erm, that is not jazz. fookin' ell!!! eye popping smiley

Well, it ain't rock. It certainly has jazz overtones. Funk? It ain't that funky. What the hell is it then?

A dance/pop song with a slight jazzy feel? But yeah, actually one of the very last times the Stones did something 'out of the box'. It doesn't sound like anything they had done before. What I find in "Terrifying" notable is that unlike the recipe of success had been usually that of integrating a new territory to their traditional sound, this time they sound like being in a new territory altogether. That is to say that it doesn't sound very 'Stonesy' from the constitution, but different, surprisingly light-weight and 'easy-listening', be that good or not. A bit like "Too Much Blood". So 80's.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 15:41 by Doxa.

Date: May 13, 2014 15:46

That's the production, not the writing or the performance from Stones members. Sometimes, it's good trying to look past dated production techniques, imo.

The monitor mixes or the early versions, for instance thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:38

MarkSchneider
DandelionPowderman
Didn't he?

This is a joke ! hot smiley

Quite. As are the comments that it's jazz.

It's late night radio wishy washy driving music previously put out by the likes of Chris Rea etc.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 13, 2014 21:54

DandelionPowderman
<what I dislike : flourish, pretention, flakes, marketing inflation and obvious fashion following.>

Hm, those are both positive and negative words, Mark. Are you sure you dislike a band that flourishes? I meant pompousness, style inflation

It's a good word, though, because that's exactly what they did after Dirty Work - flourished! off topic

They wrote lots of different music: African-inspired (Continental Drift), jazzy stuff (Terrifying), tex/mex (Blinded By Love), blues (Break The Spell), rock (Sad Sad Sad, Hold Onto Your Hat), pop (Can't Be Seen/Rock And A Hard Place, ballads (Almost Hear You Sigh/Slipping Away) - all to be featured on Steel Wheels. Good for you

Which other band did release a jazzy rock single like Terrifying in 1989? They had better to do

Fashion following? That's exactly what they always have done - and why they are so good! They could spot something, grind it through their mill and make it their own. Exile is rooted in the Americana rock wave that was so popular at the time. Dancing With Mr. D. captures the glam wave. Hot Stuff and Miss You are right on the same funk and disco paths that were so popular at the time. Hot Stuff and Miss You are typical of what I dislike in the RS production

Pretentiousness? Try Time Waits For No One (And I don't mean that in a bad way - I love the pretentious Mick) grinning smiley as long as pretention doesn't interfere with the music

Marketing inflation? I don't know what that has to do with the music. It usually happens afterwards... Do you mean market-friendly music? It was single number four off that album... Lack of taste seems to be widely spread

Flakes? Corn flakes? confused smiley easy fun. Actually I meant sequins and glitter dust (I'm french)
You remain ineffable, Dandy smileys with beer

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 22:09 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 13, 2014 23:02

His Majesty
MarkSchneider
DandelionPowderman
Didn't he?

This is a joke ! hot smiley

Quite. As are the comments that it's jazz.

It's late night radio wishy washy driving music previously put out by the likes of Chris Rea etc.

It's terrifying.

Date: May 13, 2014 23:40

MarkSchneider
DandelionPowderman

Hm, those are both positive and negative words, Mark. Are you sure you dislike a band that flourishes? I meant pompousness, style inflation

It's a good word, though, because that's exactly what they did after Dirty Work - flourished! off topic

They wrote lots of different music: African-inspired (Continental Drift), jazzy stuff (Terrifying), tex/mex (Blinded By Love), blues (Break The Spell), rock (Sad Sad Sad, Hold Onto Your Hat), pop (Can't Be Seen/Rock And A Hard Place, ballads (Almost Hear You Sigh/Slipping Away) - all to be featured on Steel Wheels. Good for you

Which other band did release a jazzy rock single like Terrifying in 1989? They had better to do

Fashion following? That's exactly what they always have done - and why they are so good! They could spot something, grind it through their mill and make it their own. Exile is rooted in the Americana rock wave that was so popular at the time. Dancing With Mr. D. captures the glam wave. Hot Stuff and Miss You are right on the same funk and disco paths that were so popular at the time. Hot Stuff and Miss You are typical of what I dislike in the RS production

Pretentiousness? Try Time Waits For No One (And I don't mean that in a bad way - I love the pretentious Mick) grinning smiley as long as pretention doesn't interfere with the music

Marketing inflation? I don't know what that has to do with the music. It usually happens afterwards... Do you mean market-friendly music? It was single number four off that album... Lack of taste seems to be widely spread

Flakes? Corn flakes? confused smiley easy fun. Actually I meant sequins and glitter dust (I'm french)
You remain ineffable, Dandy smileys with beer

Ca va, Mark smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 13, 2014 23:41

They are always the Greatest. Nobody close to them.

Date: May 14, 2014 06:27

Absolutely! On fire in a blaze of glory!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 23, 2014 00:25

Hey Richard from Canada I'm Rob also from Canada. 1975 was the first time I got to see the band live so to me that was the best most exciting Stones tour ever. I wanted to see them in 72 but I was 15 and no way were my parents about to let their little boy anywhere near a Rolling Stones concert. People died there afterall and other people blew up their equipment vans. By 75 I was legal though so there wasn't much they could do.
If I had got to see them earlier maybe then 75 wouldn't have seemed so great. Never forget the thrill of the first chord by Keith (Honky Tonk) and the first glimps of Mick come running towards us and the entire show was just heaven to an 18 yr old kid crazy about this band almost since birth. Wrote a small story about it and it was published in Mariloo Rentons Love You Live. Cheers!

Date: May 23, 2014 04:39

I like the Rolling Stones of the last 15 years or so better than the late sixties to early seventies version. At least performance wise. I never liked the hyper version of the Stones during that time span. The songs were always played way to fast. I did however, like the Rolling Stones of the mid sixties when they first appeared in the States. Mick proved he could be just as effective working a small area in those days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 04:41 by ThickerThanThieves.

Date: May 23, 2014 04:55

laertisflash
2014. The band is still excellent on stage.

Absolutely! On Fire In A Blaze Of Glory hot smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home