Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Date: May 11, 2014 23:10

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
As a Liverpool-supporter I know how it feels losing something at the end of the season...

Pfft, long distance supporter of a team from somewhere yah weren't born in?

A loyal long distance supporter, thank you. Got my Kevin Keegan jersey at the age of four. My daughter grew out of it years ago. English football has always been THE thing in Norway - it's just across that little pond smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 11, 2014 23:21

DandelionPowderman

A loyal long distance supporter, thank you. Got my Kevin Keegan jersey at the age of four. My daughter grew out of it years ago. English football has always been THE thing in Norway - it's just across that little pond smiling smiley

Just joking. thumbs up

Date: May 11, 2014 23:32

smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2014 14:19

His Majesty

Brian's harmonica playing is acting much like Taylors guitar does 10 years later. It's different of course, but the role is similar. Ostinnato like motifs, counter melodies and burning concise solos.

This is a really interesting insight. Jones is similarly melody-oriented as Taylor is, that is, it is the interaction with Jagger and his vocals, that seems to constitute a lot of their playing on stage.

Here is Jones "over-playing" like Taylor did in 1973...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 12, 2014 16:45

Doxa
His Majesty

Brian's harmonica playing is acting much like Taylors guitar does 10 years later. It's different of course, but the role is similar. Ostinnato like motifs, counter melodies and burning concise solos.

This is a really interesting insight. Jones is similarly melody-oriented as Taylor is, that is, it is the interaction with Jagger and his vocals, that seems to constitute a lot of their playing on stage.

Here is Jones "over-playing" like Taylor did in 1973...grinning smiley

- Doxa

The band has had two great "third men", being of course Jones and Taylor. They both added great melody as well as 'emotional mood' to the music. The third third man did neither of those things. So there's musical and emotional continuity between the first and second incarnation of the band and an essential change after the second third man's quit.

Date: May 12, 2014 17:02

Didn't he?

Date: May 12, 2014 18:38

All Stones tours are great, but after a five year layoff, and at such a ripe old age, this latest two part ('50 and Counting and Stones On Fire 14) tour/s gets the nod as the greatest. When you consider that Mick Taylor is also back playing with the band on a regular basis it just doesn't get any sweeter. Keith is holding up his end and is looking healthier (albeit older) than in many many years. Charlie is simply amazing. His endurance is incredible. Ronnie is playing as good or better than ever, and Mick is still a powerful and sexy force of nature. All in all, the band is simply on fire! It's a great version of the Stones, and I can't wait until they take this version back to the studio! It's a great time to be a Stones fan. The band is simply, On Fire In A Blaze Of Glory!

Date: May 12, 2014 19:09

DandelionPowderman
Didn't he?

Oh my.

Date: May 12, 2014 19:16

Whether one likes it or not, it's melodic smiling smiley I love that track.

Date: May 12, 2014 19:27

Everything about that track just makes me think what the @#$%& happened to the stones!? confused smileygrinning smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 19:36

Don't worry, it will grow on you smoking smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 19:38

DandelionPowderman

It is the opposite of just about everything I like in music.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 12, 2014 21:20

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I just saw as one more notch on their belt, jazz. They'd successfully conquered so many genres and it was good to hear them go in a new direction. TO me it added to the depth and variety of Steel Wheels.

Date: May 12, 2014 21:26

24FPS
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I just saw as one more notch on their belt, jazz. They'd successfully conquered so many genres and it was good to hear them go in a new direction. TO me it added to the depth and variety of Steel Wheels.

Exactly.

Date: May 12, 2014 22:09

24FPS

Erm, that is not jazz. fookin' ell!!! eye popping smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 22:29

His Majesty
24FPS

Well, it ain't rock. It certainly has jazz overtones. Funk? It ain't that funky. What the hell is it then?

Date: May 12, 2014 22:35

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

Well, it ain't rock. It certainly has jazz overtones. Funk? It ain't that funky. What the hell is it then?

I don't think it really matters how one categorizes it. It's simply just another great Stones song and performance.

Date: May 12, 2014 22:36

24FPS
What the hell is it then?

Middle aged pap.

Date: May 12, 2014 22:37

ThickerThanThieves

I don't think it really matters how one categorizes it. It's simply just another great Stones song and performance.

Good for a laugh.

Date: May 12, 2014 22:51

His Majesty
ThickerThanThieves

Good for a laugh.

It's a great vehicle for Mick's showmanship, although I prefer Out Of Control.

Date: May 12, 2014 22:59

His Majesty
24FPS
What the hell is it then?

Middle aged pap.

Jeez, HM, if you consider something done 25 years ago to be middle aged, is this the long forecasted 'wheelchair tour'?

Date: May 12, 2014 23:03

It's a nice experiment with some jazzy vibes. Phil is just being difficult smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 23:08

DandelionPowderman
It's a nice experiment with some jazzy vibes. Phil is just being difficult smiling smiley

Including a trumpet solo is hardly pushing the envelope in to jazz nor is it even new for them to even try to do such a thing.

Not being difficult at all...

It's not jazz and it's not good, it's safe, going nowhere middle aged wallpaper music. About as experimental as painting your walls biege.

Date: May 12, 2014 23:13

It would have been that without the trumpet smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 23:14

DandelionPowderman
It would have been that without the trumpet smiling smiley

Please.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 13, 2014 06:04

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Exactly.

It kind of amuses me the many people who inhabit this site that diss the Steel Wheels album and the accompanying tour. I may be in the minority but I think Terrifying was a decent foray into jazz/funk. That song in my estimation did add depth and variety to the Steel Wheels album and I would argue that it was a highlight of that album. From several of the Steel Wheels shows that I have heard and collected, they had not played Terrifying enough on that tour. I also believe that Steel Wheels would have been better received had the Stones showcased and rotated more tunes off of it like Hold on To Your Hat, Break the Spell, Slipping Away (which showed up on later tours) and Almost Hear You Sigh (a great, great ballad that should have gotten more stage time right from the beginning). Regarding the Steel Wheels tour-yes it was a production with additional musicians and back-up,etc etc but it was arguably one of the last tours where the Stones were really polished and tight, and the core members really played well. I particularly liked it because the new arrangements of concert versions of tunes like Can't Always Get, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil ACTUALLY sounded like their studio counterparts with all the nuances thrown in. PS- That version of Midnight Rambler from the Atlantic City pay per view rocks!

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 13, 2014 10:00

DTP"It kind of amuses me the many people who inhabit this site that diss the Steel Wheels album and the accompanying tour. I may be in the minority but I think Terrifying was a decent foray into jazz/funk. That song in my estimation did add depth and variety to the Steel Wheels album and I would argue that it was a highlight of that album. From several of the Steel Wheels shows that I have heard and collected, they had not played Terrifying enough on that tour. I also believe that Steel Wheels would have been better received had the Stones showcased and rotated more tunes off of it like Hold on To Your Hat, Break the Spell, Slipping Away (which showed up on later tours) and Almost Hear You Sigh (a great, great ballad that should have gotten more stage time right from the beginning). Regarding the Steel Wheels tour-yes it was a production with additional musicians and back-up,etc etc but it was arguably one of the last tours where the Stones were really polished and tight, and the core members really played well. I particularly liked it because the new arrangements of concert versions of tunes like Can't Always Get, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil ACTUALLY sounded like their studio counterparts with all the nuances thrown in. PS- That version of Midnight Rambler from the Atlantic City pay per view rocks!"

Spot on and smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 10:02 by FanOfGRARBITW.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 13, 2014 13:10

DandelionPowderman
Didn't he?

This is a joke ! hot smiley

Date: May 13, 2014 13:13

A fire-jumping emoticon is all you have to offer, Mark?

Lots of people like Terrifying, and the Stones's jazzy experiment. Let's hear why you don't like it - without cryptic non-communication this time, ok? grinning smiley

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 13, 2014 14:36

Dear Dandelion, I have a better time explaining overall :
1- what I like : talent of course, creativity and truth, hence emotion.
Especially the rawness and the mix of strength and elegance the RS used to display in the early years and still display at times.
2 - what I dislike : flourish, pretention, flakes, marketing inflation and obvious fashion following.

In your excellent example, I can detect a lot of the above flaws. I won't be specific on this issue.
Fortunately, it is not the Eurovision Song Contest. But IMHO, the Rolling Stones were then on a dead end.

Does it look better that way Dandelion?
Regards

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 14:41 by MarkSchneider.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home