Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 1, 2014 07:14

was a little better because it had Billy Preston on piano, not Nicky Hopkins. Ouch!confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 07:15 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 1, 2014 07:52

DoomandGloom
stonehearted
Reading through this thread makes me realize that in fact I was born too late and missed the last great Stones tour. Boy, that's just great.

SH I've been seeing shows since 1974 in fact there is a fan in the movie "Almost Famous" who's loosely based on my exploits following Led Zep on a Northeastern tour. Zep knew me enough to let me tag along for a day at Disney World and ride VIP. Me and Robert Plant sang The Immigrant Song at Space Mountain. My point here is I've seen everything and everyone since 1974, Miles, Cash, Pink Floyd's The Wall 3 nights!, Zappa, Keith Moon et et et.. The 2013 50+ tour is as good as anything I've seen and certainly as good as any Stones I've attended. People say the current tour and lineup is BS but I am in awe as Mick sings with heart and the band that was once fueled by drugs now for the first time makes music the priority, I almost see this as payback to us fans who sat through some rugged garbage trying to follow these guys who too often were not fit for stage. The Stones are giving a great show with sidemen that matter, it worth the price of admission to hear Bobby Keys.
Wait a second, you're Cameron Crowe?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 1, 2014 13:43

Ian Stewart (RIP) was NOT a druggie!!! Whiskey, coffee and cheese sandwiches, that's all.

And YES, Chuck DOES destroy MR with that strange happy, unworried tinkling.

Why doesn't he play some quiet organ all the way on it? Like Billy did in '73 for instance (although quiet and Billy does not exactly go hand in hand).

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 14:33

Fantastic: 1973
Great: 1978
Excellent: 1999

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 1, 2014 15:04

Excellent: 2012 (O2 Arena x2). Better than any of us dared to dream. For an opening night after a five year lay off, 25.11.12 was unbelievable (IMO)

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 15:57

Tour 2002/03 was not bad at all!

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: May 1, 2014 16:46

great '73
good '82

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 1, 2014 18:05

MadMax
Ian Stewart (RIP) was NOT a druggie!!! Whiskey, coffee and cheese sandwiches, that's all.

And YES, Chuck DOES destroy MR with that strange happy, unworried tinkling.

Why doesn't he play some quiet organ all the way on it? Like Billy did in '73 for instance (although quiet and Billy does not exactly go hand in hand).
Ian McLagan, who some say is the most obvious choice blew his opportunity. No doubt people would dislike him. I am not sure of how you are determining Chuck ruins MR. Were you at the show, is it a UTUBE clip? All boogie woogie piano guys overplay from time to time, usually it's how they're placed in the mix that matters. Maybe he represents the victim in the song oblivious to the MR until attacked and then snatched by Mick Taylor's feedback..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 18:10 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 1, 2014 18:27

last year

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 1, 2014 22:00

Probably the most magical was the 1792 american tour.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 2, 2014 13:19

Serious people are aware that live performances were musically and emotionally
on top in the early seventies.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2014 13:56

24FPS
DoomandGloom
Commentators regarding Chuck being inappropriate should consider this. In a great musical situation where freedom to express oneself is still the most important element you don't take on a seasoned player and tell him what to play. Listening to Chuck on BS here, it sounds like him. I watched him play dozens of times in the 70's that's what he sounds like, he didn't suck then and doesn't suck now. How anyone can say a couple of boogie woogie parts ruin a performance is beyond me, this is not Nicky, Stu or Billy it's Chuck, just as famous, just as many hits but his interpretation. With a guy like this who doesn't play bum notes perhaps a listen for what you do like instead of what you don't is in order. I was clearly shocked when I joined here at the Chuck slamming but posters then kept it light and it was more a running joke than this. For those who want "studio types" playing records on stage there's some great stuff... The Who, Macca et et... The Stones will never be that, they are cavalier.
When I watch Glastonbury I am reminded in a great band the sum is always greater than the individuals, something I forgot when I slammed Ronnie. To defend the guitarists, I've been seeing these guys my entire adult life and they made as many "mistakes" in 78 as they do now. With all Brit guitar heroes it's about what they mean to play not what they execute, puts us on stage cheering for them to hit the note.

No one said Chuck sucks, he's just inappropriate on some songs. Midnight Rambler is not a tinkly, wild west good time show. It's a serious, dark song and it deserves to be played that way by all the musicians involved. I just listen to him on the Allman Brothers 'Brothers & Sisters' album and he was great. So where is that emotion now? Yeah, he fills the hole where a piano is supposed to be, but come on, you don't get much feeling from it.

I do say that Chuck sucks ... at least in the last 25 years.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:41

So predictible Chuck... Light years from the genuineness of the RS music I (we) love, especially the sound of the concerts of the early seventies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 15:46 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:07

Last year was the last best tour. 2002 - 2003 was great too.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:08

The last great Stones' Tour, is always the last one !

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:11

1969-1973 : flamboyant

after ?

Another thing. smoking smiley

Date: May 2, 2014 17:14

MarkSchneider

LOL! Seriously?

Date: May 2, 2014 17:18

MarkSchneider
So predictible Chuck... Light years from the genuineness of the RS music I (we) love, especially the sound of the concerts of the early seventies.

Yep, light years...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 2, 2014 23:50

It is silly to compare anything past 72-73. They were so young and so full of energy then that they practically levitated off the stage. The bass had balls, and it was them, only, with a couple horns, a good piano player, and Keith harmonizing. It's not the last great Stones tour, but it's certainly the peak of their youth. It would never be that simply amazing again.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:07

Not the last great perhaps, the greatest for sure, musically (Stones play music no ?)

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:12

That last great tour and also their best in my opinion was the Licks-tour 2002-2003.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:22

I find it hard to listen to shows from that period : everything sounds rushed and played at at artificially high tempo as if the band wanted to tell us "hey we're still young, look how fast we play".
And the 2002 club-shows were for the most part not that good. The setlists were interesting but the actual perfs were far from great (and the Roseball Ballroom gig was dreadful).

So I'd say 97-98.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 3, 2014 03:03

The Stones were certainly great in 1972-73, although I prefer the '69 tour over 72. In recent years, I would pick the Licks Tour (not necessarily because the playing was outstanding), but because the set-lists varied from night to night which pleased hardcore fans like myself (the Stones-and I'm assuming- in particular Mick Jagger- are pretty conservative with the set lists so when you think about how varied those shows were, it is quite remarkable). The night I saw them in Philly in 2002 for their arena show, the fans were treated to a block of tunes from Let It Bleed including Love In Vain (which I had not heard since the 72 tour), Monkey Man, and Can't You Hear Me Knocking which put me in the stratosphere. The Stones were hot that night and put on a memorable show (the inclusion of the Pretenders as an opening act elevated this show to GREAT status).

PS- on a separate note, I am also in agreement with others who have posted their displeasure with the way Chuck's keyboard playing skills on Midnight Rambler. For lack of a better description, his "tinkling" sounds too upbeat/cheery for such a dark song. I find his playing on Midnight Rambler as a distraction-which is sad as that tune, in and of itself, is a showpiece of their set.

Date: May 3, 2014 07:57

Sighunt

PS- on a separate note, I am also in agreement with others who have posted their displeasure with the way Chuck's keyboard playing skills on Midnight Rambler. For lack of a better description, his "tinkling" sounds too upbeat/cheery for such a dark song. I find his playing on Midnight Rambler as a distraction-which is sad as that tune, in and of itself, is a showpiece of their set.

Thank you. Someone in an earlier post intimated that we have to heard it in a YouTube clip, or some other to intimate we didn't what our ears were telling us. Hell, I just watched Hyde Park on my HD TV on a 5.1 Surround stereo. I heard f-ing tinkling on Midnight Rambler! Like he was entertaining at a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor for a kid's birthday party!

Date: May 3, 2014 13:32

24FPS
Sighunt

Thank you. Someone in an earlier post intimated that we have to heard it in a YouTube clip, or some other to intimate we didn't what our ears were telling us. Hell, I just watched Hyde Park on my HD TV on a 5.1 Surround stereo. I heard f-ing tinkling on Midnight Rambler! Like he was entertaining at a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor for a kid's birthday party!

grinning smiley

I agree. The honky tonk piano is out of place in that particular number.

Date: May 3, 2014 13:37

RobertJohnson
24FPS
DoomandGloom
Commentators regarding Chuck being inappropriate should consider this. In a great musical situation where freedom to express oneself is still the most important element you don't take on a seasoned player and tell him what to play. Listening to Chuck on BS here, it sounds like him. I watched him play dozens of times in the 70's that's what he sounds like, he didn't suck then and doesn't suck now. How anyone can say a couple of boogie woogie parts ruin a performance is beyond me, this is not Nicky, Stu or Billy it's Chuck, just as famous, just as many hits but his interpretation. With a guy like this who doesn't play bum notes perhaps a listen for what you do like instead of what you don't is in order. I was clearly shocked when I joined here at the Chuck slamming but posters then kept it light and it was more a running joke than this. For those who want "studio types" playing records on stage there's some great stuff... The Who, Macca et et... The Stones will never be that, they are cavalier.
When I watch Glastonbury I am reminded in a great band the sum is always greater than the individuals, something I forgot when I slammed Ronnie. To defend the guitarists, I've been seeing these guys my entire adult life and they made as many "mistakes" in 78 as they do now. With all Brit guitar heroes it's about what they mean to play not what they execute, puts us on stage cheering for them to hit the note.

No one said Chuck sucks, he's just inappropriate on some songs. Midnight Rambler is not a tinkly, wild west good time show. It's a serious, dark song and it deserves to be played that way by all the musicians involved. I just listen to him on the Allman Brothers 'Brothers & Sisters' album and he was great. So where is that emotion now? Yeah, he fills the hole where a piano is supposed to be, but come on, you don't get much feeling from it.

Maybe someone keeps sneaking up to Chuck's setlist and is changing it from MR to "jessica".

Date: May 3, 2014 18:40

Palace Revolution 2000
RobertJohnson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

Maybe someone keeps sneaking up to Chuck's setlist and is changing it from MR to "jessica".

grinning smiley About 2:40 in he starts playing, quite elegantly. How come the Stones don't get this Chuck?

Date: May 3, 2014 19:32

EasterMan
That last great tour and also their best in my opinion was the Licks-tour 2002-2003.

The last great Stones tour is always the last one, same as their concerts. There is no such thing as a mediocre Stones tour. The current tour (resuming at the end of this month) is the Stones on fire in a blaze of glory.

Date: May 3, 2014 19:39

MarkSchneider

The performances in the early seventies were drug fueled and reckless. You see the same type of recklessness on our highways today.

Date: May 3, 2014 19:47

Ruby Friday
The last great Stones' Tour, is always the last one !

Absolutely! They don't do bad tours, concerts, or bad albums. And only a handful of bad songs over 52 years!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home