Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: OT: Top 5 American Bands
Date: April 29, 2014 17:11

Thin pool? No way. I prefer British bands by a mile, but there are many great, great US bands.

- MC5
- The Band
- Allman Bros
- both Heartbreakers (T. Petty's & J. Thunders')
- New York Dolls
- Blondie
- Whigs
- Ramones
- Dead Weather
- Jane's Addiction
- Nirvana
- CCR
- Outkast
- Velvet Underground
- Twilight Singers
- Neville Bros
- James Brown Band
- Sly Stone
- Kills
- Big Star
- Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Delaney & Bonnie
- Manassass

oops, sorry. I completely forgot this was to be only 5 bands. I think I could go with any combo of 5 in that pool.
I am finding that I need to add
- Mission of Burma
- Queens of the Stone Age/screamking Trees i.e. that whole Lanegan/Homme hybrid. There are artists who should be in here like Neil Young, Prince, Tom Waits,Paul Westerberg, Ryan Adams.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 05:01 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 29, 2014 17:16

No love for Alabama Shakes here?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 29, 2014 17:46

Id put the Blasters in the top 5. a great roots rock band.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:20

Grateful Dead

Allmans

The Doors

CSNY

Beach Boys

CCR

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:25

DandelionPowderman
Wroclaw
Did I miss some "rule" of this contest of did NO ONE mention The Eagles?

BTW - had been noted already but The Jimi Hendrix experience were 2/3 British (and while Hendrix was a super star both other musicians were not exactly just "suport artists").

+ the fact that Hendrix lived in England smiling smiley

It's easy to tell the importance of Redding and Mitchell when we hear Band Of Gypsies, imo.

Yes, it was evident how white they were, and how wonderfully heavy Band of Gypsys were. Thanks for reminding me, though they were brief, what a super primo American group Band of Gypsys was.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:26

Actually the best band I ever heard live is Delbert McClintons back up band.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:31

And don't forget these guys:

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:41

This is a start:

Santana
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Mountain
(Young) Rascals
Grateful Dead
Beach Boys
Foo Fighters
Allman Brothers
CCR
Aerosmith
Doors
CSN & CSN&Y
Jefferson Airplane
Love
Lynyrd Skynyrd
ZZ Top
Vanilla Fudge

Date: April 29, 2014 18:43

Foo Fighters? I see better bands at the local bar.

Date: April 29, 2014 18:45

More Hot Rocks

Best band in last 20 yearssmoking smiley

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:49

Yeah, I thought of Sly & The Family last night.

Part of the fun is you arne't writing it in blood...it's just the top 5 off the top of your head. I promise, in 5 years nobody will hold you to whoever you wrote here.

Although nobody cares, I debated whether or not Patti Smith Group could be included. It is a band...but known as an individual (clearly shown by only Patti getting into the RnR HOF...a real slap to Lenny I believe).

Looks like I'm the only big X fan around here. Oh well...at least I got a back-up on The Blasters!

Date: April 29, 2014 18:50

2000 LYFH
More Hot Rocks

You haven't been to my local bar.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:53

2000 LYFH
More Hot Rocks

Oh my!! Must bee locked in the house.

Date: April 29, 2014 18:59

More Hot Rocks
2000 LYFH
More Hot Rocks

Must be reason they are in the Local bardrinking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()

sdstonesguy
Yeah, I thought of Sly & The Family last night.

Part of the fun is you arne't writing it in blood...it's just the top 5 off the top of your head. I promise, in 5 years nobody will hold you to whoever you wrote here.

Although nobody cares, I debated whether or not Patti Smith Group could be included. It is a band...but known as an individual (clearly shown by only Patti getting into the RnR HOF...a real slap to Lenny I believe).

Looks like I'm the only big X fan around here. Oh well...at least I got a back-up on The Blasters!

X, yes indeed! >>Looks like I'm the only big X fan around here. Oh well...at least I got a back-up on The Blasters!<<

I've seen the Foos...b/c a woman I was dating wanted to & they were playing Street Scene in San Diego.

They lived up to my expectations...same as Pearl Jam when the opened for the Stones. I call them Strike 1 & Strike 2.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:05

2000 LYFH
More Hot Rocks
2000 LYFH
More Hot Rocks

Must be reason they are in the Local bardrinking smiley

You don't have to be good to be famous. Does anybody play guitar better than a three year old in The Foo Fighters? Nope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-29 19:05 by RockinJive.

Date: April 29, 2014 19:08

sdstonesguy
I've seen the Foos...b/c a woman I was dating wanted to & they were playing Street Scene in San Diego.

They lived up to my expectations...same as Pearl Jam when the opened for the Stones. I call them Strike 1 & Strike 2.

Good names for them. love it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:15

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Wroclaw
Did I miss some "rule" of this contest of did NO ONE mention The Eagles?

BTW - had been noted already but The Jimi Hendrix experience were 2/3 British (and while Hendrix was a super star both other musicians were not exactly just "suport artists").

+ the fact that Hendrix lived in England smiling smiley

It's easy to tell the importance of Redding and Mitchell when we hear Band Of Gypsies, imo.

Yes, it was evident how white they were, and how wonderfully heavy Band of Gypsys were. Thanks for reminding me, though they were brief, what a super primo American group Band of Gypsys was.

The first 3 studio albums are a blast: Are You Experienced-Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland with the outstanding Voodoo Chile does not sound anything as british imo.

Date: April 29, 2014 19:27

Top 5: Velvets, Ramones, Big Star, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Byrds

Honorable Mention: NY Dolls, Stooges, Flaming Lips, J. Geils Band, Cheap Trick, Replacements, Nirvana, Neil Young and Crazy Horse

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:31

Some of the mentions are a bit embarrassing...It has to include Allmans and The Band

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:32

1. Grateful Dead
2. Beach Boys
3. The Doors
4. Pearl Jam
5. Aerosmith

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:55

michaelsavage
Some of the mentions are a bit embarrassing...It has to include Allmans and The Band

and The J Geils Band

Date: April 29, 2014 20:10

Still not sure how The Band get in being Canadian...but I do love em.

If it really is the N. America/S. America thing, I would like to see a bunch of non-U.S. bands included...not just one. But this is a U.S. band thread, despite my poor title.

Ratones Paranoicos...some of ya'll might enjoy this Stonesy Argentine band:

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 29, 2014 20:19

Allman Brothers
ZZ Top
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Black Crowes
The Band of Gypsys

runners up:

CCR
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Grateful Dead

peace

Date: April 29, 2014 20:34

sdstonesguy
Still not sure how The Band get in being Canadian...but I do love em.

If it really is the N. America/S. America thing, I would like to see a bunch of non-U.S. bands included...not just one. But this is a U.S. band thread, despite my poor title.

Ratones Paranoicos...some of ya'll might enjoy this Stonesy Argentine band:

It's probably the same for Steppenwolf but I think we should not be too tight cause Artists move around

No love for Janis and Big Btother and the Holding Company...Joe Walsh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-29 20:47 by runaway.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 29, 2014 20:39

"Top Bands" makes me think of more than influence, but musicianship and song writing and vocals...it's a broader term in my mind. I think of Muddy Waters' band; The Wolf's band with Hubert; Elvis with Scotty and DJ; The Funk Brothers (Motown's house band); The classic Allmans, although its type of playing is out of fashion. But any list that excludes The Beach Boys is faulty IMO. I would include The Band. Levon is enough for me and Robbie's great influence and muse are the images, mythology and music of the rural American South. America's greatest contribution is, of course, Dylan.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: April 29, 2014 20:47

“Jimi Hendrix Experience was as English as it gets
“Jimi Hendrix Experience were 2/3 British (and while Hendrix was a super star both other musicians were not exactly just "support artists" )
“Hendrix lived in England
“He delivered British acid blues-rock within an English pop group. In no way may the Experience be classified as an American group
“The group was more English than American …”

And the band I really think is best has its roots in American Blues; they have made their most iconic recordings in America; they tour with an American on bass and an American on keyboards and an American on horns and Americans on backing vocals (and, in fact, Americans making up more than half of the band on stage when I saw them last year); half of their surviving founding members (who also happen to be the band’s songwriters and most famous members) have lived in America for decades. May I add them to my list? winking smiley

Date: April 29, 2014 20:51

BostonLass
“Jimi Hendrix Experience was as English as it gets
“Jimi Hendrix Experience were 2/3 British (and while Hendrix was a super star both other musicians were not exactly just "support artists" )
“Hendrix lived in England
“He delivered British acid blues-rock within an English pop group. In no way may the Experience be classified as an American group
“The group was more English than American …”

And the band I really think is best has its roots in American Blues; they have made their most iconic recordings in America; they tour with an American on bass and an American on keyboards and an American on horns and Americans on backing vocals (and, in fact, Americans making up more than half of the band on stage when I saw them last year); half of their surviving founding members (who also happen to be the band’s songwriters and most famous members) have lived in America for decades. May I add them to my list? winking smiley

Jimi Hendrix counts for 3 guitarplayers!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 29, 2014 20:51

pmk251
"Top Bands" makes me think of more than influence, but musicianship and song writing and vocals...it's a broader term in my mind. I think of Muddy Waters' band; The Wolf's band with Hubert; Elvis with Scotty and DJ; The Funk Brothers (Motown's house band); The classic Allmans, although its type of playing is out of fashion. But any list that excludes The Beach Boys is faulty IMO. I would include The Band. Levon is enough for me and Robbie's great influence and muse are the images, mythology and music of the rural American South. America's greatest contribution is, of course, Dylan.

I thought of the Beach Boys right off, but the term "band" takes me in a more guitar based direction. I struggle with them being more of a band or a vocal group.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home