Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Date: March 12, 2016 06:11

whitem8
No way was it recorded, nor does someone else do it. At least from the show I saw close in Detroit. IN fact Won't Get Fooled Again was a mess in Detroit. Both Roger and Pete made major blunders, but that aside, it was a great energetic performance with the full on scream.

Additionally, Roger nailed the long sustain in Love Reign O're Me. You could see the last few songs there were a few instances Roger coughed and spit to the side. I mean the guy was full on singing like classic Roger for 2 pluse hours, and if he was using tapes then why the coughing and spitting? No way. And as I said I was close enough to see. In Detroit it was all Roger!

yes way. that scream hasn't been live for over a decade. even at the 9/11 benefit it is not live.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 06:48

I call bullshit. I just saw them row 10 in Detroit and he screamed, and you could tell because he croaked a bit near the end. Maybe some show you saw, but not the one I just saw. If you weren't there, then you have absolutely no idea.

Date: March 12, 2016 07:22

whitem8
I call bullshit. I just saw them row 10 in Detroit and he screamed, and you could tell because he croaked a bit near the end. Maybe some show you saw, but not the one I just saw. If you weren't there, then you have absolutely no idea.

someone on steve Hoffman forums has confirmed the scream is pre recorded and every so often roger will record a new scream to be played so that it matches his current voice. I don't have to be there as I have bootlegs from the last several tours and every time the scream sounds exactly the same. no way he does it that consistant every show especially on some when his voice is rather hoarse on the songs before and after the scream but sounds full and rich on the scream

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 12, 2016 08:02

That... that really changes things for me. Maybe it shouldn't, but thats such a pivotal part of their show. I'm truly shocked if thats pre-recorded. Not saying I don't believe it, but just makes me lose a bit of respect for them. Honestly, I'd rather they not play it or at least skip the scream than have it pre-recorded and "fake nailed" every night. I'd go hear the record if I want to hear it perfect.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "confirm" its pre-recorded? A video of identical screams from every show. It makes sense, but it just really throws me for a loop. Thats very sad to hear boys.

EDIT: I guess its true. I looked up ONE video, and the first one I found, if you go to 9:06, the mic isn't even near his mouth when he NAILS the scream. Thats so sad to learn that isn't live, although maybe I'm taking it harder than I should:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-12 08:05 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 12, 2016 08:11

RollingFreak
That... that really changes things for me. Maybe it shouldn't, but thats such a pivotal part of their show. I'm truly shocked if thats pre-recorded. Not saying I don't believe it, but just makes me lose a bit of respect for them. Honestly, I'd rather they not play it or at least skip the scream than have it pre-recorded and "fake nailed" every night. I'd go hear the record if I want to hear it perfect.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "confirm" its pre-recorded? A video of identical screams from every show. It makes sense, but it just really throws me for a loop. Thats very sad to hear boys.

EDIT: I guess its true. I looked up ONE video, and the first one I found, if you go to 9:06, the mic isn't even near his mouth when he NAILS the scream. Thats so sad to learn that isn't live, although maybe I'm taking it harder than I should:

[www.youtube.com]

yeah there you go. the people at steve Hoffman have equipment I don't have and measure wave length, pitch,etc and can tell when the pre recorded tape was changed out to a newer pre recorded scream

Date: March 12, 2016 16:38

That video isn't conclusive at all. In fact he does a second scream. Well all I know is I was up close and watching Roger in Detroit and there was no evidence he used a pre-recorded scream.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 12, 2016 21:37

whitem8
That video isn't conclusive at all. In fact he does a second scream. Well all I know is I was up close and watching Roger in Detroit and there was no evidence he used a pre-recorded scream.

IF the scream is pre-recorded he deserves an Oscar because in the Detroit video clips he sort of chokes, possibly in pain, immediately afterward.

See 1:51:40 below.

[www.youtube.com]

Having said all that, it seems it could be pre-recorded because his body is not positioned anywhere near to how it was when he did it in the 1970s (standing tall with his head tilted back).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-12 21:47 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:01

I understand and suspected the scream was recorded. The scream would be difficult for anyone to pull off night after night and near impossible if the performer is
already having vocal difficulties. A little tape wizardry is fine by me - if it prevents some imbarressment and saves the rest of the performance.

The band was in fine form at their stop in Chicago. The show was outstanding and it was apparent Pete and Roger are enjoying performing. Looking forward to their Milwaukee show.

Like the Stones, when The Who one day says "enough is enough" and decides to
stop touring - I will truly miss them. See The Who now while you can. Their
current show is fabulous. "The Rock" and "Pictures of Lilly" are awesome!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:14

StonedInTokyo
whitem8

IF the scream is pre-recorded he deserves an Oscar because in the Detroit video clips he sort of chokes, possibly in pain, immediately afterward.

See 1:51:40 below.

[www.youtube.com]

Having said all that, it seems it could be pre-recorded because his body is not positioned anywhere near to how it was when he did it in the 1970s (standing tall with his head tilted back).

Now that its been mentioned, its so clearly fake that the only way to say it isn't is through denial. I think he chokes because he probably tries to sing along with it, but that scream is so spot on and powerful that now I'm more convinced its recorded.

[www.youtube.com]

Decide for yourself. Now that its been mentioned, it seems fairly obvious to me because its almost TOO powerful that it gives it away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-13 00:21 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:55

pre-recorded and it is pretty clear as to the placement of the mic
when the scream starts. OK with me. The dude is 70 + years old. I will
cut him slack on this one.

Date: March 13, 2016 06:17

Midnight Toker
pre-recorded and it is pretty clear as to the placement of the mic
when the scream starts. OK with me. The dude is 70 + years old. I will
cut him slack on this one.

yeah I have no issues that's its prerecorded. I was just stating it was. stryper uses something similar to save the singers voice on his high screams. he basically hits the not for like 2 seconds and then an effect captures the live sound he made and holds it for his for a few more seconds

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 13, 2016 06:38

It's disappointing, but heck - they've been playing along with the pre-recorded keyboard part for 45 years!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 13, 2016 12:15

Considering the bad shape his voice is in the best bet would be to use only pre-recorded vocals. I´ ve been listening to Glastonbury, Wembley & Hyde Park, Roger´s voice is definitively gone. He once was one of the most powerful voices in rock, but he is very weak now - too old to rock n roll...

I can understand people attending the shows and liking the atmosphere, but the way they butcher their classics is very sad and disappointing. They should have stopped a long time ago in 1989. They are only in it for the money, very disappointing since I always loved The Who. But this is a cheap sell out (like all the tours of recent years).

Apart from all this, this is not THE WHO anymore. This is Roger Daltrey & Pete Towshend performing songs of THE WHO. The Who were history the day that Entwistle died.

Date: March 14, 2016 18:54

Actually, his voice is not in bad shape now. Since his surgery and his recovery from meningitis he is sounding good. Just check him out on the Tonight Show doing Who Are You? Pretty darn good! And he sang great at the Detroit show.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 14, 2016 19:28

HMS
Considering the bad shape his voice is in the best bet would be to use only pre-recorded vocals. I´ ve been listening to Glastonbury, Wembley & Hyde Park, Roger´s voice is definitively gone. He once was one of the most powerful voices in rock, but he is very weak now - too old to rock n roll...

I can understand people attending the shows and liking the atmosphere, but the way they butcher their classics is very sad and disappointing. They should have stopped a long time ago in 1989. They are only in it for the money, very disappointing since I always loved The Who. But this is a cheap sell out (like all the tours of recent years).

Apart from all this, this is not THE WHO anymore. This is Roger Daltrey & Pete Towshend performing songs of THE WHO. The Who were history the day that Entwistle died.

Say that to their face. bet you won't.

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 16:25

Hi everyone,

I am going to see the Who on Saturday night in Newark. Not dying to see the opening act. What time have the Who been hitting the stage?

thanks!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 16, 2016 16:46

You don't want to see?

Australian-born, LA-based Tal Wilkenfeld (www.talwilkenfeld.com) is a musical marvel; the female bassist is a dynamic young talent with a fresh vision. Tal has made quite a name for herself as a sought-after bassist since emerging onto the music scene as a teenager. After releasing her acclaimed, instrumental jazz debut, Transformation, Tal went on to tour with Chick Corea and Jeff Beck. Her performance at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival in Chicago has generated more than 10 million+ YouTube plays to date. She has recorded studio projects with some of today’s most respected and iconic artists in the industry such as: Prince, Ryan Adams, Ringo Starr, Brian Wilson, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Toto, Todd Rundgren and Trevor Rabin. She has also performed live with Sting, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour and Billy Gibbons

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: March 16, 2016 17:26

about 8:45

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: March 16, 2016 17:28

tk421
Hi everyone,

I am going to see the Who on Saturday night in Newark. Not dying to see the opening act. What time have the Who been hitting the stage?

thanks!

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 17:35

ChrisG
tk421
Hi everyone,

thanks!

Thanks!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 17:51

awww, f*ck you guys, I loved the show in Chicago, I didn't want to know about a fake scream damnit!

Date: March 16, 2016 18:42

mnewman505
awww, f*ck you guys, I loved the show in Chicago, I didn't want to know about a fake scream damnit!

Let me know if you think that the jaw harp and harmonica are pre recorded during Join Together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-16 22:40 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 16, 2016 21:45

mnewman505

I feel your pain man! Some truths are just better not knowing....so let's not
dig any deeper!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 22:01

I'm somewhat on the fence about this. NONE of these guys could ever possibly have thought to themselves in the '70s, "Well, y'know...one day I'm going to be singing this when I'm 72, so should I REALLY record all these high notes and make life difficult for myself then?"

Even metal singers like Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson are coming to grips with the reality that vocal cords lose elasticity with age and you just can't hit the same notes unless you're a genetic freak like Ronnie James Dio or Steven Tyler.

You can take care of and baby your voice all you want, but eventually you're going to lose that battle. I don't know what the solution is though...you've gotta play your big hits, you've gotta play them how people expect them, and yet physically you can't pull it off.

What do you do?

Date: March 16, 2016 22:28

keefriff99
I'm somewhat on the fence about this. NONE of these guys could ever possibly have thought to themselves in the '70s, "Well, y'know...one day I'm going to be singing this when I'm 72, so should I REALLY record all these high notes and make life difficult for myself then?"

Even metal singers like Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson are coming to grips with the reality that vocal cords lose elasticity with age and you just can't hit the same notes unless you're a genetic freak like Ronnie James Dio or Steven Tyler.

You can take care of and baby your voice all you want, but eventually you're going to lose that battle. I don't know what the solution is though...you've gotta play your big hits, you've gotta play them how people expect them, and yet physically you can't pull it off.

What do you do?

dio and tyler are freaks. michael sweet of stryper is also like that

Date: March 16, 2016 22:40

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-16 22:40 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 17, 2016 22:22

keefriff99

What do you do?

I agree it's a dilemma. From my perspective there were several options:

- Perform the song without the same scream we are all accustomed to. Since the
song is so well known and the scream is such an important part of the song -
this could be a big letdown for the fans and a unnecessary embarrassment for
Rodger.

- not do the song at all.

- not perform live anymore because the inability to hit the same scream.

- add a tape enhancement of the scream and perform the rest of the tune live.

My opinion: they chose the last option which is probably the best for all
involved including the audience. Long live Rock!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 17, 2016 23:09

reg thorpe
You don't want to see?

Australian-born, LA-based Tal Wilkenfeld (www.talwilkenfeld.com) is a musical marvel; the female bassist is a dynamic young talent with a fresh vision. Tal has made quite a name for herself as a sought-after bassist since emerging onto the music scene as a teenager. After releasing her acclaimed, instrumental jazz debut, Transformation, Tal went on to tour with Chick Corea and Jeff Beck. Her performance at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival in Chicago has generated more than 10 million+ YouTube plays to date. She has recorded studio projects with some of today’s most respected and iconic artists in the industry such as: Prince, Ryan Adams, Ringo Starr, Brian Wilson, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Toto, Todd Rundgren and Trevor Rabin. She has also performed live with Sting, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour and Billy Gibbons
Agreed !
I have seen Tal play in Jeff Becks' band and she is just not a fantastic bass player , but so good to look at on stage.
Rhonda Smith is also a great female bass player and great to look at on stage.
Female Who fans may have the same opinions of guys on stage. smoking smiley

Date: March 18, 2016 00:55

I saw Tal open for The Who in Toronto. her own music is not what I expected. No flashy bass runs or long jams. No long guitar solos in her band. Her songs featured her voice more than her bass playing. Song oriented 4 minute tunes that had a rough edgy folk vibe.
She's a great singer. her bass playing has taken a back seat for her solo work. If you think you're going to hear something like she played with Beck you won't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-18 00:57 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 18, 2016 01:04

The Who are to perform this years Isle of Wight festival :

British rock icons The Who are heading back to Seaclose Park on the Isle of Wight for the fourth time in the band’s history to headline The Isle of Wight Festival, it was announced today.

Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend and their live band, which includes Zak Starkey, Pino Palladino and Simon Townshend, will be bringing their globally successful The Who Hits 50! tour to the island for their only UK festival performance of 2016 on Saturday 11 June, with a spectacular live show resplendent with hits including ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, ‘Baba O’Riley’, ‘The Seeker’, ‘Pinball Wizard’, ‘Who Are You’ and ‘My Generation.’ The band first played The Isle of Wight Festival in 1969 and 1970 (the latter was immortalised in Murray Lerner’s well known Message to Love documentary film), and then again in 2004 – the same year that David Bowie also headlined, his last ever UK live performance.

[thewho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-18 01:06 by Wroclaw.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home