Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 23, 2016 06:16

Lol did a bunch of stuff get deleted from this thread or did I just not realize its been days since anything has been said? Got really confused this wasn't on the front few pages today and thought the thread got deleted for some reason. Or I'm just going crazy and have lost track of the days, but I thought there had been steady discussion in here up through like Sunday lol.

Either way, had a friend who saw them in Newark this weekend and was blown away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-23 06:19 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:05

Was checking out the set list for this leg of the tour that just started. Looks like they are changing it up a bit & adding a few more songs. "Can't Explain" opened & "5:15" made its first appearance since 2014. I'm all for that! Actually seeing them on 5/15. Serendipity!smoking smiley

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:21

I saw them in D.C.
Townshend had a cold, and his voice was shot.
They were still awesome, and Townshend worked his ass off...can't believe what a great guitarist he is...and still hitting the power chords as well!

He couldn't sing Eminence Front, he tried I'm One....which they got a lot of help from the crowd. They didn't short us though, we got SLIP KID instead, which I've been waiting most of my life to see that one live...it was good, but they don't play it enough, so zero noodling on the guitar during the outro like on the studio recording.

Really enjoyed the show, and yes, Roger did the scream live during WGFA...it was not a recording...I was in the front row, and it was absolutely live. His voice was in fine shape.

I was one of those fans that has followed The Who all over North America and in the UK at one time...was lucky enough to catch the HOB show, and front row at the RAH, Entwhistles last show...and Townshend's return to live work at 2 Sadler's Wells shows....if you get a chance to see this show, you will not be disappointed. Totally different technically from our hero's of course.

Posted by: mistermorphine ()
Date: May 1, 2016 18:57

Saw them in KC the 29th! Pete absolutely tore it up both vocally and on the 6 string, he looked great and seemed to enjoy doing the show.
Roger struggled from time to time, opened his mouth and nothing came out a couple of times but came back seconds later like nothing happened. He spent a lot of time with the mic out to the crowd who truly enjoyed joining in. I LOVE the man and what he has done and continues to do but for his health he needs to take some time and enjoy what he has built.
The show was well worth seeing, the band was solid with Starkey taking real pride being in his godfathers seat!
Thanks the the show mates!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 1, 2016 21:02

Can someone explain this to me. I saw the last tour with Entwistle, twice...LA & San Diego. I got front row for both shows with almost no trouble through Ticketmaster. Both shows had a fairly empty upper ring and San Diego was not a huge arena (Sports Arena). The band was plenty fun (I'm not a big fan really), and Townsend was clearly the stand-out performance (Daltry just seemed to be like a child up there, not in a good way...unbuttoning 1 button each song and playing to the women like he was 20yo...saw Eric Burdon do this weirdness too while being way too old for it). In any case, it was clear from the sales that The Who were just that in demand. Now...it seems demand is quite high (and has been since Entwistle's death. Can anyone explain to me how they became MORE popular after Entwistle's death?

I saw them at the Bridge School Benefit too in '99...that was a fun time and their first show in a long time (I think).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 1, 2016 21:45

sdstonesguy
Can anyone explain to me how they became MORE popular after Entwistle's death?

Maybe because they dont release new albums anymore, so fans have nothing to complain and moan aboutgrinning smiley

Its always the same with these legendary bands, the older they get, the more they seem to be in demand. Everybody seems to feel the need to see them as long as there´s a possibility. Although since Entwistle´s passing I do not consider them THE WHO anymore they are selling tickets like crazy. Its just "lets go see The Who as long as they are around".

Reminds me of the Stones. cool smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 1, 2016 21:46

sdstonesguy
Can someone explain this to me. I saw the last tour with Entwistle, twice...LA & San Diego. I got front row for both shows with almost no trouble through Ticketmaster. Both shows had a fairly empty upper ring and San Diego was not a huge arena (Sports Arena). The band was plenty fun (I'm not a big fan really), and Townsend was clearly the stand-out performance (Daltry just seemed to be like a child up there, not in a good way...unbuttoning 1 button each song and playing to the women like he was 20yo...saw Eric Burdon do this weirdness too while being way too old for it). In any case, it was clear from the sales that The Who were just that in demand. Now...it seems demand is quite high (and has been since Entwistle's death. Can anyone explain to me how they became MORE popular after Entwistle's death?

I saw them at the Bridge School Benefit too in '99...that was a fun time and their first show in a long time (I think).

I think everyone knows they were better with the OX, but given the late hour and the band's ages, people are scooping up tickets thinking they may never see them again...

Date: May 1, 2016 21:49

So it's a case of "eh, I don't really care to see them" and then when the band thins down to 2, it's "oh, I better see em when I can?"

People are strange...no question about that.

Date: May 1, 2016 22:04

sdstonesguy
So it's a case of "eh, I don't really care to see them" and then when the band thins down to 2, it's "oh, I better see em when I can?"

People are strange...no question about that.
Sad but true...

Date: May 1, 2016 22:05

So the Stones would be HUGE if Charlie or Ronnie passed on.

Date: May 1, 2016 22:29

sdstonesguy
So the Stones would be HUGE if Charlie or Ronnie passed on.

Sad to think that could be true...But unlike The Who, I doubt Mick and Keith would keep rolling without Charlie...and maybe Ronnie, after all he's "almost" an original member, 41 years! Although, to be very cynical, there are a lot of fans who might blindly accept any Jagger-Richards led band as being the Stones. I'm not one of them!

Date: May 1, 2016 22:54

I hear what you are saying, but wouldn't you think Mick & Keef would still want to perform (well, Mick anyway) and you know Ronnie would (if it were Charlie who was out). They could play by themselves, but why? Maybe create a new band name where the remaining 3 could continue to play together? Why wouldn't Mick & Keef want to play together if they remained a touring act? Why wouldn't Mick & Keef & Charlie/Ronnie want to continue playing together, assuming they would play independently if they COULD not play together.

I get calling a band The Rolling Stones with just Mick & Keef & Charlie/Ronnie is a bit lame, but what do you do if those same cats WANT to play together? A new band name would be lame too. I know...they could go by "The Beat-less"...hahaha. Always thought if funny the biggest boy band ever went by The Beat Les(s).

Date: May 1, 2016 23:10

Of course Mick/Keith would replace Charlie/Ronnie and continue to perform as The Rolling Stones. AC/DC has replaced every core member except Angus Young. Deep Purple went through countless incarnations, so did Black Sabbath. If Mick/Keith still feel like playing after losing Charlie or Ronnie, they will go on. Daltrey & Townshend did the same and they still fill stadiums. I dont think Mick/Keith are sentimental, not when they think of all the money that´s in the game.

Date: May 1, 2016 23:31

Valid points being made - and I wish I could find the source - but I've heard interviews where Mick and Keith said they would probably call it a day if one of the other members were to pass on...

Date: May 1, 2016 23:35

It´ said that AC/DC even had a handshake deal to call it a day if a core member wasnt able to carry on for whatever reason. Now look what they do now...

Date: May 1, 2016 23:40

HMS
It´ said that AC/DC even had a handshake deal to call it a day if a core member wasnt able to carry on for whatever reason. Now look what they do now...[/quote

Yeah, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mick and Keith listen to the money talk in a similar situation..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-01 23:44 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 2, 2016 08:57

This is well worth it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 2, 2016 16:18

HMS
Of course Mick/Keith would replace Charlie/Ronnie and continue to perform as The Rolling Stones. AC/DC has replaced every core member except Angus Young. Deep Purple went through countless incarnations, so did Black Sabbath. If Mick/Keith still feel like playing after losing Charlie or Ronnie, they will go on. Daltrey & Townshend did the same and they still fill stadiums. I dont think Mick/Keith are sentimental, not when they think of all the money that´s in the game.

The Who plays arenas, not stadiums. They haven't played stadiums, at least not in the United States, since 1989.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 16:33 by tatters.

Date: May 2, 2016 17:22

tatters
HMS

The Who plays arenas, not stadiums. They haven't played stadiums, at least not in the United States, since 1989.

Good point. Another thing is that every band has it's own unique chemistry that may or may not be messed with. As brilliant as The Ox and Moon were, The Who were very much the product of Townshend's songwriting genius.He even suggested the parts the others would play on his demos. Therefore, I suppose Pete had the right to keep going under the same name. Maybe Mick and Keith could get away with the same thing, though it would sadden me to see it. Some fans of certain bands are fans more of the NAME of the band than the musicians who comprise it. There are fans who go to see Slayer, Deep Purple or Sabbath because they are famous bands and they don't even know or care who the various members are. I suppose the same could be said of casual fans of the Stones or The Who. Personally, though I still love the Stones, I feel it hasn't been quite the same since Wyman left. With The Who, I kind of understood them carrying on without Moon, but without The Ox, true fans know they're not the true Who anymore...Alas, there's money to be made and egos to be fed and we all have to realize that egos and money are a huge motivator in the music biz. And I digress but I'm sure there are Stones fans who think the real Stones died along with Brian Jones. Never gonna make everyone happy. Aah...it's only rock and roll...but to some of us it's so much more...Another thought...why was Van Hagar accepted by many? Because a lot of VH fans only cared about Eddie. That may also apply to Angus and AC/DC. The vibe and appeal of every band is so different. That's why the Stones could've never replaced Jagger, in my opinion, not that they ever had to.

Date: May 2, 2016 17:26

tatters
HMS

One more thought....I saw that last stadium tour in 1989 and it was great for what it was but what it was not....to some of us...was The Who. To me, The Who were 4 amped up super-musicians playing their balls off onstage. 1989 was like a Who revue, with 39 people and an elephant on stage. Not the same. At least they still had Entwistle playing as only he could. Pino ain't the same.

Date: May 2, 2016 17:59

I think of them as two old men who used to be in the Who, and are now fronting a band that pays tribute to their own, younger, 1960s and 1970s former selves. I'm sure it's the finest Who tribute band in the world, but to think of them as "The Who" at this point, even if they still record an occasional godawful new song every now and then, is kind of ridiculous. The last Who shows I enjoyed were the ones they did right after Entwistle died in 2002. They should have put it to bed after that tour. I was bored when I saw them in 2008. I stood there with my arms folded and just kinda said to myself, "I think we're done here." It makes me sad, because I'm as Who-obsessed as anyone. Have been since 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 18:00 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:02

Tatters did you see their show at Joe Louis? It was outstanding. A great way to celebrate the memories with music and stories. I was amazed how engaged Townshed was. He told some great stories about the Grande Ballroom. They did a killer version of The Rock.

Date: May 2, 2016 18:05

whitem8
Tatters did you see their show at Joe Louis? It was outstanding. A great way to celebrate the memories with music and stories. I was amazed how engaged Townshed was. He told some great stories about the Grande Ballroom. They did a killer version of The Rock.

I didn't go to either the 2012 or 2016 Joe Louis shows. I did enjoy seeing Simon at the Ark, though. smileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:10

That Simon show was fantastic! And you couldn't beat the price. Seriously, the Joe Louis show as fantastic! Yeah, not really The Who, but The Two did a great job. It was an emotional and uplifting night of great music and stories.

Date: May 2, 2016 20:41

Changing the subject a bit...just found this article regarding Kenney Jones tenure with The Who. He was no Moon but I thought they sounded better than expected with Jones. I was sad to see him go. But of course Zak does an amazing job channeling the late Moon!
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: May 2, 2016 21:41

I caught the Toronto show last week.

Great way to spend a night. Yes- its not the same Who as in before Keith Moon died , but the show and song selection is great, Zak and Pino are great players and you get two of the originals.

What's wrong with that?

Date: May 2, 2016 22:46

Montrealsuperfan
I caught the Toronto show last week.

Great way to spend a night. Yes- its not the same Who as in before Keith Moon died , but the show and song selection is great, Zak and Pino are great players and you get two of the originals.

What's wrong with that?

The more I think about this topic, I guess I wouldn't be shocked to see Mick and Keith do the same thing if Ronnie or Charlie quit or worse. They would probably recruit players with sufficient talent to mimic the recordings and they'd still have the original Glimmer Twins image up front. It wouldn't still be The Rolling Stones to me, but "The Two" have fared well enough...

Date: May 3, 2016 20:04

Just saw some ads / announcements for the October festival. Looks like The Who are opening for Roger Waters?? I'd think it should be the other way around.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 20:07 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just saw some ads / announcements for the October festival. Looks like The Who are opening for Roger Waters?? I'd think it should be the other way around.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too, but all the rumors since the beginning were that Waters was closing the whole festival, oddly enough. I guess Friday and Saturday nights for the Stones and McCartney probably mean more than the actual closing Sunday night slot. Hence Waters (who I love, but just sayin').

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home