Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:54

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
Just saw some ads / announcements for the October festival. Looks like The Who are opening for Roger Waters?? I'd think it should be the other way around.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too, but all the rumors since the beginning were that Waters was closing the whole festival, oddly enough. I guess Friday and Saturday nights for the Stones and McCartney probably mean more than the actual closing Sunday night slot. Hence Waters (who I love, but just sayin').
I could understand if it was Waters with Floyd, but not as a solo. Then again, The Two ain't really The Who, so...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 3, 2016 23:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
Just saw some ads / announcements for the October festival. Looks like The Who are opening for Roger Waters?? I'd think it should be the other way around.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too, but all the rumors since the beginning were that Waters was closing the whole festival, oddly enough. I guess Friday and Saturday nights for the Stones and McCartney probably mean more than the actual closing Sunday night slot. Hence Waters (who I love, but just sayin').
I could understand if it was Waters with Floyd, but not as a solo. Then again, The Two ain't really The Who, so...

Agreed. I thought the same thing. The first time it was rumored I said "I could understand if it was Waters and Gilmour, but Waters on his own seems to stick out here to me." Mainly cause Paul is Paul, the Stones and the Who are still their respective names, and Bob and Neil have always basically been solo artists. Waters only reaches their level if its Floyd or him and Gilmour together.

Date: May 3, 2016 23:18

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

Agreed. I thought the same thing. The first time it was rumored I said "I could understand if it was Waters and Gilmour, but Waters on his own seems to stick out here to me." Mainly cause Paul is Paul, the Stones and the Who are still their respective names, and Bob and Neil have always basically been solo artists. Waters only reaches their level if its Floyd or him and Gilmour together.
Perzactly...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 23:34

Crikey - yet another 10 date UK & European Tour anounced for August and September. And this on top of a good handful of festival dates in Europe in the Summer. Roger's voice seems to be a lot better so they're obviously feeling up to it.

[www.thewho.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:51

I assume if The Who are playing Coachela in Oct. then they will add a few more US dates?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 4, 2016 04:05

grzegorz67
Crikey - yet another 10 date UK & European Tour anounced for August and September. And this on top of a good handful of festival dates in Europe in the Summer. Roger's voice seems to be a lot better so they're obviously feeling up to it.

[www.thewho.com]
I have a bad feeling he's just going to burn himself out again sad smiley

Also, get down here to NZ Roger & Pete!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 11:31

Just got my ticket for the show in Vienna. It will be my first time! One of the last few acts I really want to see and still haven't.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 11:40

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yea, all that, plus the heavy use of playback that Roger (Waters) uses. Don't get me wrong, I like him, saw him 4 times and always liked it, but he is really not up there with those others for me, mainly because of the lip-synch really. There have been wild discussions on Macca board about the current state of Paul's voice, which is way weaker than it was just 5 years ago, but he still sings all those challenging songs in the original keys and does it live of course. Big respect for that. Roger chooses to fake it, which is all but rock'n'roll. If he came here again, I would go to see him again, but it is something completely different for me than going to see The Stones or Paul. Different league really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 11:42 by Happy24.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 4, 2016 12:12

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

I would guess that Roger Waters will have some sort of elaborate production. He is a groundbreaker in that aspect.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 12:19

But isn't the Sunday night closing spot the worst spot Waters could get? So Waters, in my opinion, is the logical choice. I'd be surely worn out after the Stones, Dylan, Macca and The Who and long on my way home when Waters takes the stage;-)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:15

Papo
But isn't the Sunday night closing spot the worst spot Waters could get? So Waters, in my opinion, is the logical choice. I'd be surely worn out after the Stones, Dylan, Macca and The Who and long on my way home when Waters takes the stage;-)

thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:26

Papo

Yup, thats what I meant. Burn out and its a Sunday night in what I believe is a pretty remote area. People are gonna wanna stay out on a Sunday night for Waters? Possibly, but I could also see the wrestle of "technically" he's closing the festival when really its the worst spot to me in (ie. the most logical one as you say).

Happy24
Yea, all that, plus the heavy use of playback that Roger (Waters) uses. Don't get me wrong, I like him, saw him 4 times and always liked it, but he is really not up there with those others for me, mainly because of the lip-synch really. There have been wild discussions on Macca board about the current state of Paul's voice, which is way weaker than it was just 5 years ago, but he still sings all those challenging songs in the original keys and does it live of course. Big respect for that. Roger chooses to fake it, which is all but rock'n'roll. If he came here again, I would go to see him again, but it is something completely different for me than going to see The Stones or Paul. Different league really.

I understand where you're coming from but isn't that a TAD harsh? Perhaps I don't know the extent but I know of I think one song on each tour where this happened, but otherwise the show was live. Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking on his In The Flesh tour, Have A Cigar and The Gunner's Dream on the Dark Side tour. I don't know about anything on the Wall although I guess it wouldn't shock me. I said when he announced that "how can he still sing stuff like Don't Leave Me Now?" Maybe I don't even wanna know how much was, but to my knowledge that was live. But the others are pretty isolated. I'm not in favor of it but also, I wanna hear Have A Cigar live. If its one song in a 2 hour show, one he didn't even originally sing, I won't crucify him for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 18:31 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:44

Speaking of hearing "Have a Cigar" live, I saw Roy Harper a couple years after the song was released and he didn't perform it, however someone ran up to the stage and handed him a cigar.....

....ah, those were the days, San Diego State's Back Door....

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 5, 2016 01:05

over 400€ for first row in Stuttgart - thats too much. I got those tickets but won't buy it. too much for me....I am sad...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 5, 2016 01:23

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

I'm sure Waters will have a huge stage design, perhaps The Wall? I'm surprised at how popular he is as a solo artist. His last world tour a few years ago is one of the largest of all time, grossing around half a billion if I recall and selling out stadiums all over the world.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 5, 2016 23:26

DGA35
I'm sure Waters will have a huge stage design, perhaps The Wall? I'm surprised at how popular he is as a solo artist. His last world tour a few years ago is one of the largest of all time, grossing around half a billion if I recall and selling out stadiums all over the world.

ANYTHING but the wall please...

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 6, 2016 02:41

I don't think Waters will play The Wall, supposedly he has a new project due this year, he played one or two songs from it last year in a couple of one off shows...I imagine he will play some type of greatest hits show like all the other bands, except maybe Neil Young...no telling what he will play!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 6, 2016 04:31

Neil Young's setlist in Memphis Friday:

Down by the River
Country Home
Seed Justice
Monsanto Years
Western Hero
Out on the Weekend
Are There Any More Real Cowboys?
Someday
@#$%&' Up
Cinnamon Girl
Rockin' in the Free World
Love and Only Love

Opened up with a bunch of guys in overalls and straw hats throwing seeds on the stage and watering them.

We watched 30 minutes of Down By The River and got bored and went to see an excellent set by Train instead.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: May 10, 2016 00:56

grzegorz67

[www.thewho.com]

maybe

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 10, 2016 20:24

PTownshend
grzegorz67

[www.thewho.com]

maybe

I do hope so Pete (and it is really you isn't it winking smiley ?! I was at Wembley Arena in February and thought it was rocking. For my money Zak and Pino do an excellent job filling in for Keith and John.

Got right into your band in the last year and will definitely be at one of those shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-16 16:43 by grzegorz67.

Date: May 15, 2016 03:32

Saw the sold out concert last night at Rogers Arena Vancouver. That was a lot better than I thought it would be. Daltrey's voice was excellent, hitting the high notes on Love Reign Oer Me and Won't Get Fooled Again. Townshend was great, good light show and great videos, showing a lot of the band's history. Zak Starkey fits in well on drums.
The sound was probably the best I've heard for any concert in the arena or across the street at BC Place. No distortion at all.
This show was the makeup show from last September when they had to postpone because of Daltrey's illness. Tickets were originally purchased in Oct 2014 so we waited 19 months!

Date: May 15, 2016 04:31

DGA35
Saw the sold out concert last night at Rogers Arena Vancouver. That was a lot better than I thought it would be. Daltrey's voice was excellent, hitting the high notes on Love Reign Oer Me and Won't Get Fooled Again. Townshend was great, good light show and great videos, showing a lot of the band's history. Zak Starkey fits in well on drums.
The sound was probably the best I've heard for any concert in the arena or across the street at BC Place. No distortion at all.
This show was the makeup show from last September when they had to postpone because of Daltrey's illness. Tickets were originally purchased in Oct 2014 so we waited 19 months!

Cool! I'm going tomorrow night in Seattle. No excuse needed ever to go see Pete. I've never been to a show @ Rogers but have been to BC Place plenty. The last one was the Stones with Bonnie Raitt on ABB. The night of 3 Keith songs. I think they've made some changes to BC Place (forgive me if I'm mistaken). I sure hope so. I've seen some really horrible sounding gigs there. A few good ones (Stones in 1989 was ok) but mostly not so much. Probably had to do with where you were sitting. I'm glad Daltry is sounding good. I've seen some Who shows where that has been an issue. Have always liked Zak Starkey on drums. We have John Entwistle to thank for that.

Date: May 15, 2016 05:17

Hi Cr, they spent around $500 million renovating BC Place, new retractable roof, new suites, new seats, better lobby and a huge scoreboard above mid field that is the second largest only to the scoreboard in Dallas.
When McCartney played here in late 2012, the fireworks during Live and Let Die were hitting the roof!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 15, 2016 20:17

I am going tonight in Seattle. Looking forward to finally seeing this show after buying my tickets over two years ago. We're on the floor in the 25th row.

What time will The Who hit the stage?

Date: May 15, 2016 20:51

Javadave
I am going tonight in Seattle. Looking forward to finally seeing this show after buying my tickets over two years ago. We're on the floor in the 25th row.

Same here. I've got good seats row 4 of upper deck. The tickets have grown rust. I'm guessing opener 7:30 & the Who in the 8:30 - 9:00 zone.

Date: May 15, 2016 21:02

Speaking of hitting 50, anyone have memories of their 25th year tour in 1988? That was the one where Pete mostly played acoustic and there were loads of singers and musicians onstage trying to recreate the sound of the studio albums. In a way, it was very good but I regret that it was the only Who show I ever got to see; Giants Stadium, NJ. I wish I could've seen them in a more stripped down format, with Pete on electric. At least I got to see Entwistle while he was still among us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-15 21:04 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 15, 2016 21:13

crholmstrom
Javadave

Same here. I've got good seats row 4 of upper deck. The tickets have grown rust. I'm guessing opener 7:30 & the Who in the 8:30 - 9:00 zone.

Opening band came on at 7:30pm, although we didn't bother watching them. They played til around 8:15ish and then half hour break. Who played about 2 hours ending with Baba OReilly and Won't Get Fooled Again. They didn't leave the stage prior to come back for an encore, just played straight through.
In the lobby, there were people selling the Who 50th Anniversary greatest hits CD for $20 and you also got a ticket for a draw at the end of the concert for a prize, they show the winning number up on the screen.

Date: May 15, 2016 23:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
Speaking of hitting 50, anyone have memories of their 25th year tour in 1988? That was the one where Pete mostly played acoustic and there were loads of singers and musicians onstage trying to recreate the sound of the studio albums. In a way, it was very good but I regret that it was the only Who show I ever got to see; Giants Stadium, NJ. I wish I could've seen them in a more stripped down format, with Pete on electric. At least I got to see Entwistle while he was still among us.

I saw 1 of the few shows that Pete played electric that tour. Something about the acoustics of the venue allowed him to hear himself better. Well, he got all riled up & was windmilling on "Fooled" when he rammed the whammy bar through his hand. He ripped it out & threw the guitar across the stage. The band came back out without him & did a few songs, after Roger explained Pete was on the way to the hospital. If memory serves, one of the songs they did was a CCR song. Bizarre. I also saw 1 of the last full on guitar smashings shortly after the Ox died. Pete immediately regretted it & Roger offered to glue it back together. That wasn't going to happen as Pete totally destroyed it. That same tour, I was at the makeup show in Vegas & Pete did an incredible solo on 5:15 (where the Ox usually did his thing). He was crying at the end of it. Not expecting anything earth shattering tonight but hope will be a good show. Probably last time I'm going to see Pete unless I have a good Vegas run this week & go to Desert Trip. Not happening without that. Too much dinero.

Date: May 16, 2016 01:16

crholmstrom
HonkeyTonkFlash

I saw 1 of the few shows that Pete played electric that tour. Something about the acoustics of the venue allowed him to hear himself better. Well, he got all riled up & was windmilling on "Fooled" when he rammed the whammy bar through his hand. He ripped it out & threw the guitar across the stage. The band came back out without him & did a few songs, after Roger explained Pete was on the way to the hospital. If memory serves, one of the songs they did was a CCR song. Bizarre. I also saw 1 of the last full on guitar smashings shortly after the Ox died. Pete immediately regretted it & Roger offered to glue it back together. That wasn't going to happen as Pete totally destroyed it. That same tour, I was at the makeup show in Vegas & Pete did an incredible solo on 5:15 (where the Ox usually did his thing). He was crying at the end of it. Not expecting anything earth shattering tonight but hope will be a good show. Probably last time I'm going to see Pete unless I have a good Vegas run this week & go to Desert Trip. Not happening without that. Too much dinero.

At the show I saw in Giants Stadium, 1988, Pete did play some electric towards the end of the show, like on WGFA. Most of his work was acoustic and I can't even remember the name of the guy he hired to ape his usual electric parts. The one thing that made it sound anything like The Who was the scrape and rumble of Entwistle's bass. He was phenomenal! There was only one Moon, but Simon Phillips did an admirable job on the skins!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-16 01:40 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 16, 2016 23:15

The Who were quite good last night. Setlist was fine, a couple that I hadn't heard live or only once. Daltry has aged a real lot. Think that bout with meningitis took a lot out of him. Pete was very lively. Good show!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home