Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 12, 2016 05:19

Thank You seeing them in Vienna this Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 12, 2016 13:10

Have seen them three times recently (Quad, Hits Fifty and Albert Hall). Excellent, even without the late lamented two, don't miss them.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 12, 2016 14:09

You gotta listen to live albums featuring Keith Moon and you´ll clearly hear what is missing. Entwistle´s always very audible playing is missing too, just like the two songs he used to sing at every show. They are not The Who anymore.

Townshends endless monologues between songs are attempts to recover and to give Roger´s voice a little time to rest. It´s not because Pete´s in such a good mood, he´s only talking to give them a desperately needed break between songs.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 12, 2016 14:23

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Pete's monologues as you put it....but I must politely say that is horseshit. I have been going to Who shows since the 70's, and Pete has always taken the time to talk to the audience a couple of times during a concert..........it's not a recent habit he has decided to take up just to give Roger a break. There was one dude that followed the band, that had the annoying habit of yelling "get on with it", at every show...until Pete and Roger made a comment about his sexual preference...he finally shut up. Point being, the guy would take the opportunity to interrupt Townshend's monologues....back in the 90's.

HMS
You gotta listen to live albums featuring Keith Moon and you´ll clearly hear what is missing. Entwistle´s always very audible playing is missing too, just like the two songs he used to sing at every show. They are not The Who anymore.

Townshends endless monologues between songs are attempts to recover and to give Roger´s voice a little time to rest. It´s not because Pete´s in such a good mood, he´s only talking to give them a desperately needed break between songs.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 14:29

onestep
You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Pete's monologues as you put it....but I must politely say that is horseshit. I have been going to Who shows since the 70's, and Pete has always taken the time to talk to the audience a couple of times during a concert..........it's not a recent habit he has decided to take up just to give Roger a break. There was one dude that followed the band, that had the annoying habit of yelling "get on with it", at every show...until Pete and Roger made a comment about his sexual preference...he finally shut up. Point being, the guy would take the opportunity to interrupt Townshend's monologues....back in the 90's.

HMS

Just listen to the old bootlegs. Pete always talks a lot. Especially the Isle of Wight DVD comes to my mind where he talks so much between the songs.

I'll be seeing them tonight in Stuttgart. I am very excited smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 14:37

Seeing them in Bologna, Italy on Saturday night and I have a free standing general admission ticket on the floor so a chance to get to the front. Looking forward to IT, but very disappointed that they seem to have dropped 'I can't explain' and 'Substitute' from the seltlist after briefly bringing them back in this Summer. 2 huge Who songs, which for most will be missed.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 12, 2016 17:49

Saw them last year and thought Zak did a fine job compared to Moon but did notice that Pino doesn't come CLOSE to Entwistle. You will hardly notice Pino's bass playing. He's barely there. Great show though. I sorely missed Summertime Blues.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 12, 2016 17:57

Bungo
Saw them last year and thought Zak did a fine job compared to Moon but did notice that Pino doesn't come CLOSE to Entwistle. You will hardly notice Pino's bass playing. He's barely there. Great show though. I sorely missed Summertime Blues.

Agree, I expected a better attempt to recreate some of the bass standouts during the show during songs such as My Generation and The Real Me and they just weren't there...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 13, 2016 00:19

HMS

Somehow me think you could as well write an essay about today's meaning of Santa Claus...

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: September 13, 2016 01:15

HMS

Saw them in Oberhausen on Saturday, Pete just did a few short announcements here and there, no "monologues" at all.

Date: September 13, 2016 02:03

just came back from the Who. What a fantastic night. Roger was so great. He sounded great and acted great. And he really didn't talk that much. A bit more than 2 hours with a great setlist and a great band. The only complain is that I could do without Eminence Front. A Quick One would be a nice add smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 13, 2016 02:25

Also just came home from the Who concert in Stuttgart. The band was in a terrific shape, especially Roger surprised me a lot. He didn't sound as good since years. But I have to say the audience was just awful. I didn't get the feeling of them being really into the music, though of course there where exceptions. The average age was very high and so the overall mood was not too exciting. Most people just stood there and did nothing. And because some people complained about that we were standing, we went out to stay between the chair rows. But security shouted that we should go to our seats again. Also the sound was very mediocre, the high frequencies distorted a lot at times, though that's a usual problem of "Schleyerhalle".
So although the music was incredible, the audience made it a mediocre concert for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-13 02:26 by StonedRambler.

Date: September 13, 2016 02:34

StonedRambler
Also just came home from the Who concert in Stuttgart. The band was in a terrific shape, especially Roger surprised me a lot. He didn't sound as good since years. But I have to say the audience was just awful. I didn't get the feeling of them being really into the music, though of course there where exceptions. The average age was very high and so the overall mood was not too exciting. Most people just stood there and did nothing. And because some people complained about that we were standing, we went out to stay between the chair rows. But security shouted that we should go to our seats again. Also the sound was very mediocre, the high frequencies distorted a lot at times, though that's a usual problem of "Schleyerhalle".
So although the music was incredible, the audience made it a mediocre concert for me.

I was at the David Gilmour concert in Wiesbaden some weeks ago and nobody was allowed to stand up before the encores. it was like a funeral. so with the floor seating in Stuttgart i expected a vey poor crowd but I was satisfied with them. I sat on the tier today and went to the floor while they were playing the Tommy part. the sound on the tier was much better. It was near excellent. Very loud but very clear.

Date: September 13, 2016 02:57

Maybe I just had too high expectations or I am to spoiled of Stones concerts winking smiley it was a good concert but I was missing the rock 'n roll mood. If you think about how the crowd went wild in the 70s when the Who was still kind of dangerous.. unfortunately nothing of that is left. The stones audiences in recent years were better, but maybe because there were also younger people in the crowd.
We were standing in the middle section of the floor. To me the sound felt like it wasn't that lood but due to the poor acoustics it was a bit exhausting for the ears. And unfortunately songs like the seeker or can't explain were replaced by songs like acid queen or relay. But that's my personal taste

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-13 03:01 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 13, 2016 03:00

well let's see what Vienna will be like GA only on the floor.M

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 13, 2016 11:50

My complaint/concern of the Stuttgart concert was it seemed Pete was holding back. For instance during Sparks where (historically) he ripped into a guitar solo. Last night it started to go in that direction then he pulled back, even stopped playing for a few seconds I think. Maybe there were sound issues? Anyhow, for some older guys I think they still do a respectable job.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 13, 2016 20:46

frankotero
My complaint/concern of the Stuttgart concert was it seemed Pete was holding back. For instance during Sparks where (historically) he ripped into a guitar solo. Last night it started to go in that direction then he pulled back, even stopped playing for a few seconds I think. Maybe there were sound issues? Anyhow, for some older guys I think they still do a respectable job.

I think, Pete hurt his fingers yesterday, they were blood drops between the pickups of his strat (the video screens showed that)
It was a magnific concert! not as rough, like 10 years ago in ulm, but much better than 1997 in stuttgart (sorry the ox, you´ve been great as always RIP)
But indeed, the security nazis sucked yesterday!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 13, 2016 21:56

Oh no, didn't know or notice the injured finger. In this case I must say he did well then. Also I agree about the security. They seemed overboard with their temporary authority.

Date: September 13, 2016 22:39

frankotero
Oh no, didn't know or notice the injured finger. In this case I must say he did well then. Also I agree about the security. They seemed overboard with their temporary authority.
Exactly. It's understandable that they want to keep people from lower price seats away from the front. But there was a huge waste of space between golden circle block and the chair rows behind. The chair rows were very tight together so we all felt like going in between the rows and have fun there. Instead of letting the people dance and enjoy the concert, they showed a quite military authority, shouted at the people to go to their seats again. They better should have shut off the several seating categories and let the people freely move inside of those. On the other hand the security controls at the entry were a joke. Anybody could have easily bring in a weapon, even if this is unlikely at such a concert, we live in a time in which a proper security check becomes more and more important.
I think they worked together with the local staff and organization of the Schleyerhalle which is a complete mess. So I guess those problems are just specific for this venue. Anyway, I don't want to complain to much, the concert itself was great.

Date: September 14, 2016 20:48

StonedRambler
frankotero
Exactly. It's understandable that they want to keep people from lower price seats away from the front. But there was a huge waste of space between golden circle block and the chair rows behind. The chair rows were very tight together so we all felt like going in between the rows and have fun there. Instead of letting the people dance and enjoy the concert, they showed a quite military authority, shouted at the people to go to their seats again. They better should have shut off the several seating categories and let the people freely move inside of those. On the other hand the security controls at the entry were a joke. Anybody could have easily bring in a weapon, even if this is unlikely at such a concert, we live in a time in which a proper security check becomes more and more important.
I think they worked together with the local staff and organization of the Schleyerhalle which is a complete mess. So I guess those problems are just specific for this venue. Anyway, I don't want to complain to much, the concert itself was great.

couldn´t agree more.
just an example:
after the concert, i went to the stage, just to watch the equipment for half a minute. the rude security guy shouted " jetzt weg hier, 3,2,1!" I told him, he´d be not well educated and should change his style. I guess it was in vain eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Eintracht ()
Date: September 15, 2016 12:21

Was at the Stuttgart concert in row 3 at Pete`s side. Very powerful and fantastic concert. Pete and Rpger were in an outstanding shape. Much better than in Ulm 2006 or Fulda 2007. The sound was very good in row 3.

Date: September 15, 2016 13:22

Eintracht
Was at the Stuttgart concert in row 3 at Pete`s side. Very powerful and fantastic concert. Pete and Rpger were in an outstanding shape. Much better than in Ulm 2006 or Fulda 2007. The sound was very good in row 3.

That's the three Who shows I attended smiling smiley I think the same although I was front row in Ulm and Fulda.

Posted by: Eintracht ()
Date: September 15, 2016 13:59

That's funny! Btw I was in Hockenheim 1995 as well. Saw the Stones 20 times between Frankfurt 1990 and Berlin 2014.

Date: September 15, 2016 16:53

hockenheim95
Eintracht

That's the three Who shows I attended smiling smiley I think the same although I was front row in Ulm and Fulda.

I often listen to my Ulm-CD and been there of course and I don´t think, they were stronger in Stuttgart. Ulm was "Maximum Power". But indeed the band was not as big, as there are three keyboard-player now and so the sound is bigger these days.

Date: September 15, 2016 17:15

deardoctor
hockenheim95
Eintracht

I often listen to my Ulm-CD and been there of course and I don´t think, they were stronger in Stuttgart. Ulm was "Maximum Power". But indeed the band was not as big, as there are three keyboard-player now and so the sound is bigger these days.

I got the DVDs of Ulm and Fulda but haven't played them for a long time. Maybe I should do it again. For me the ultimate WHO DVD is the Kilburn 1977 show. Perfectly filmed and great playing.

Date: September 16, 2016 00:31

In Oberhausen security was much more relaxed as far as I can judge.
Originally placed in row six nobody cared about us standing and dancing the whole concert through with people moving forward in the tiers...
Very nice atmosphere during such a wonderful show.
Downloaded the show from their site last night.

Wishful thinking...but would be great if the Stones made similar options possible.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2016 08:38

shortfatfanny
Downloaded the show from their site last night.

Where are the shows available? I searched their webb, but found nothing. Would love to have their Vienna show, it was a fabulous one. I will post some pictures later today.

Date: September 16, 2016 12:31

[thewhoofficialmerch.com]

here you go,happy...vienna already available.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 16, 2016 12:45

I'm in Bologna,Italy ahead of their show here tomorrow night. Absolutely torrential rain here, slthough it's expected to stop tomorrow. Plenty tickets still available it seems.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2016 12:53

Thanks, shortfatfanny, I will surely get it.

What a fantastic show it was in Vienna! It was my first time seeing them and it may as well be the last chance, so I am really happy I was able to finally catch them. Roger sings really well, especially in the higher registers. Not like 40 years ago for sure, but amazing for a 72 year old guy. Great energy during the whole show, even though the extremely poor aircondition (if any at all) in the arena really didn't help. Pete mentioned it during the show and at the very end again that they had a great soundcheck but something had to go wrong and we were all forced to breathe a pure carbon dioxide. But it really didn't take away anything from the magic for me. I mean standing 4 meters from Pete...what more could I ask for. I was also happy the floor was not seated, even though the crowd was rather older and not exactly wild, the GA really helped a lot to create a good atmosphere.

Here are some pictures I made in Vienna:

P1010067 by Happy 24, on Flickr

P1010063 by Happy 24, on Flickr

P1010102 by Happy 24, on Flickr

P1010123 by Happy 24, on Flickr

P1010129 by Happy 24, on Flickr

And there is more of my pictures here:

[www.flickr.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home