Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 121
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 17:15

I will not accept this, sorry. Still in denial.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2016 17:37

RollingFreak

Because it makes way more sense than that Angus "fired" him in between two gigs because of "Brian's desire to tour less"

Apparently Brian wanted to retire after the SULip tour (2001?).

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 20, 2016 17:40

Angus should have cancelled the remainder of the shows and
shut down the AC/DC power plant. It does not look good on him.

He´s so full of energy, he´ll never stop. Maybe he should go
on the the road as Angus Young´s Rock´N´Roll Train.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 18:50

TooTough
Angus should have cancelled the remainder of the shows and
shut down the AC/DC power plant. It does not look good on him.

He´s so full of energy, he´ll never stop. Maybe he should go
on the the road as Angus Young´s Rock´N´Roll Train.
Let's not go overboard:

1990 - The Razor's Edge
1995 - Ballbreaker
2000 - Stiff Upper Lip
2008 - Black Ice
2014 - Rock or Bust

The ONLY time they toured in between those VERY long album breaks was the few shows they did in 2003 with the Stones and SARSstock. Other than that, the entire band has gone into hibernation for 5-8 year stretches over the last 25 years, so Angus is HARDLY a fount of boundless energy.

Contrast that with a working-class band like Motorhead...Lemmy never ran around onstage but it was still a blue-collar life on the road, year in, year out, pumping out an album every two years and playing 50-100 shows annually around the world.

If Angus loves what he does so much, you'd think he'd want to be recording and on the road more often than twice a decade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 18:51 by keefriff99.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:41

The Final Salute:

[teamrock.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 22:20

Brian said he can't do huge arena/stadium shows anymore. Wouldn't it be ironic if he eventually did a theatre tour with Phil Rudd!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:22

AC/Dzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2016 00:00

THE AGE -- 21 April 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2016 00:34

Herald Sun -- 21 April 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 21, 2016 00:45

rogerriffin
The Final Salute:

[teamrock.com]

We're a far cry from this:

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 21, 2016 10:23

I still think the statements from ACDC and Brian are fishy. It doesn't sound like a true account of what is going on.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 21, 2016 13:48

MartinB
I still think the statements from ACDC and Brian are fishy. It doesn't sound like a true account of what is going on.

Yes Martin. They ring of corporate a "Compromise Agreement," especially Brian Johnson's latest official statement.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:22

SonicDreamer
MartinB

Yes Martin. They ring of corporate a "Compromise Agreement," especially Brian Johnson's latest official statement.

Cheers,
SonicD
Any chance that Brian is UNABLE to tell his story from a legal standpoint? Maybe he had a non-disparagement clause in his contract.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 21, 2016 20:28

with due respect to the axl arrangement being 'temporary' and brian coming back, can you even imagine this being Mick and the Stones touring with Steven Tyler as his replacement to finish the tour.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2016 20:49

treaclefingers
with due respect to the axl arrangement being 'temporary' and brian coming back, can you even imagine this being Mick and the Stones touring with Steven Tyler as his replacement to finish the tour.

Good analogy. Even though Brian was not the original singer, I've always viewed him and Angus as sort of being the Mick and Keith of AC/DC. It just doesn't seem right to replace him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 02:27

treaclefingers

Ahhh I beat you to it treacle a couple pages back - great minds think alike? winking smiley.
Valid analogy and very hard to fathom. The outcry would be deafening....probably riots in the streets.

Date: April 22, 2016 04:12

Hairball
treaclefingers

Ahhh I beat you to it treacle a couple pages back - great minds think alike? winking smiley.
Valid analogy and very hard to fathom. The outcry would be deafening....probably riots in the streets.

thumbs up
an analogy so good, it deserved repeating!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 05:41

Roger Daltrey weighs in on the controversy:

THE WHO's ROGER DALTREY On AXL ROSE Singing For AC/DC: 'Give Me A Break'

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

During a brand new interview with Postmedia Network, THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey was asked for his opinion on the news that Brian Johnson was retiring from AC/DC because he risks substantial hearing loss if he continues to perform in large arenas and stadiums. Daltrey said: "I mean, I really feel badly for Brian. It must be heartbreaking for him after all the service he's given that band over the years.

"I thought their farewell statement to the press and to Brian was fairly curt, to say the least. I felt for him. That must have hurt.

He continued: "I've spoken to Brian. He's got loads of other things he wants to do in his life.

"I think AC/DC will miss Brian much more than Brian will miss AC/DC. There you go. What do you expect from Australians? [Laughs]... And he's such a lovely guy, Brian. I've known him for 40-odd years, more..."

As for the announcement that Johnson will be replaced by GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose for the remainder of the "Rock Or Bust" world tour beginning May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal, Daltrey said: "I mean, go and see karaoke with Axl Rose? Give me a break. [Laughs]"

Read more at [www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 22, 2016 07:24

I like what Roger Daltrey said. Perfect and to the point.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:48

mighty stork
Sorry to say but the loss of Malcolm Young and now Brian Johnson marks the end of the band as we know it. Great run boys.

You've got it right stork. Don't forget Phil Rudd too. Great run indeed and we have the records to prove it.

Obviously the Axl thing is to fulfill commitments but it's too bad it wasn't Axl instead of Brian that is losing his hearing. I don't doubt Brian's story and I think we will get more of a tribute and honoring of him from the band after the tour is over, it just doesn't make good business sense to make too much of an issue out of it until then. Hearing loss is a stark reality in the rock business and I think the few AC/DC shows I've been too have had an effect on mine! I remember my ears ringing for 24 hours after one of their shows.

That being said, Axl Rose with AC/DC? wtf? Regardless of his ability to sing the songs, to me Axl represents just the sort of diva, pompous full of himself rock persona that kind of goes against everything AC/DC seemed to stand for. A stain on their reputation before he utters a single note.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:42

I'm surprisingly and honestly feeling sorry for Axl.

He's getting a once-in-a-lifetime chance to sing with his idol(s) and, through no fault of his own, he'll be walking headfirst into a firestorm.

I'm thinking that the scheduling of these European tour dates coming first, before the U.S. dates, is potentially catastrophic for Angus and AC/DC.

If the U.S. dates had come prior to Europe, AXL/DC could have possibly stood a chance at success. The American crowds would be much more forgiving of this swap-out, in my opinion, over the European crowds.

This could get really ugly, really fast.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 23, 2016 09:52

Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

During a brand new interview with Postmedia Network, THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey was asked for his opinion on the news that Brian Johnson was retiring from AC/DC because he risks substantial hearing loss if he continues to perform in large arenas and stadiums. Daltrey said: "I mean, I really feel badly for Brian. It must be heartbreaking for him after all the service he's given that band over the years.

"I thought their farewell statement to the press and to Brian was fairly curt, to say the least. I felt for him. That must have hurt.

He continued: "I've spoken to Brian. He's got loads of other things he wants to do in his life.

"I think AC/DC will miss Brian much more than Brian will miss AC/DC. There you go. What do you expect from Australians? [Laughs]... And he's such a lovely guy, Brian. I've known him for 40-odd years, more..."

As for the announcement that Johnson will be replaced by GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose for the remainder of the "Rock Or Bust" world tour beginning May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal, Daltrey said: "I mean, go and see karaoke with Axl Rose? Give me a break. [Laughs]"

...well said. grinning smiley

Roger Daltrey Calls AC/DC With Axl Rose 'Karaoke'

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 15:16

Thunderstruck frontman and construction worker Lee Robinson missed out on dream job with AC/DC to Axl Rose

[teamrock.com]

A construction worker and frontman with an AC/DC tribute band has told how he was offered the chance of a lifetime in the form of an audition with Angus Young and co.

Lee Robinson – the singer with Raleigh, North Carolina AC/DC tribute act Thunderstruck – tried out for the chance to replace Brian Johnson during a two-hour audition with the real AC/DC in Atlanta last month.

The rock giants were looking for a new frontman after Brian Johnson was ordered to step back from touring on doctor's orders. And while 26-year-old Robinson says it was the experience of a lifetime, he eventually lost out on the job to Guns N' Roses vocalist Axl Rose.

Robinson was discovered by AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams on YouTube and got the call from his bandmate Jeff 'Angus' Young, who had been contacted by AC/DC's management firm. Robinson was flown to Atlanta where he played with his heroes on March 14.

He says: "Once they started playing I was just excited and was just standing there like, 'What the hell. I’m playing with AC/DC.' Chris Slade hit the drums so hard I kept moving forward because I thought it was Angus behind me.

“Even just standing there playing in rehearsal, Angus had enormous energy."

After four songs, AC/DC went out for a short break and Robinson sat alone in the studio thinking his audition was over. But they returned and played for almost two hours, putting the singer through his paces with nearly every song on the Rock Or Bust tour setlist as well as renditions of classics such as What Do You Do For Money, Honey, Given’ The Dog A Bone, Sin City and Guns For Hire.

Robinson adds: “They didn’t want a Brian Johnson copy. They wanted someone who could make it their own.”

Once the audition was over, AC/DC asked Robinson not to say a word until they had made an announcement. Although he was disappointed to lose out to Rose, Robinson says he'd be happy to fill in if Axl needs a rest when the Rock Or Bust tour rolls into Greensboro, North Carolina.

Thunderstruck formed in 2013 and describe themselves as "the most authentic-sounding AC/DC tribute show in the southeastern US." Robinson was snapped up by the band when they saw him singing Highway To Hell in a local bar. He had never sang in a band before joining the tribute act.

His story has similarities to that of Tim 'Ripper' Owens who replaced Rob Halford in Judas Priest in the 1990s. Owens fronted Priest tribute band British Steel when he was discovered. The 2001 film Rock Star is based on Owens' story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 15:16 by mnewman505.

Date: April 23, 2016 20:04

kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

a tinge of irony i'd say, given half his original band is dead and he's still flogging it.

Date: April 23, 2016 23:27

treaclefingers
kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

a tinge of irony i'd say, given half his original band is dead and he's still flogging it.
True, but if Daltrey were out, would Townshend summon a replacement and still dare to call it The Who? I'd hope not...

Date: April 24, 2016 00:57

HonkeyTonkFlash
treaclefingers
kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

True, but if Daltrey were out, would Townshend summon a replacement and still dare to call it The Who? I'd hope not...

but how much more of a stretch is that, given how far they've gone?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 24, 2016 06:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
treaclefingers
kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

That's funny, Pete would fold it immediately

Date: April 24, 2016 23:44

BILLPERKS
HonkeyTonkFlash
treaclefingers
kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

true that, because the who have never quit, only to regroup/add new members and start again.

Date: April 25, 2016 00:21

treaclefingers
BILLPERKS
HonkeyTonkFlash
treaclefingers
kowalski
Hairball

April 21, 2016

Give Me A Break

true that, because the who have never quit, only to regroup/add new members and start again.[/quote

True that, they could be criticized for carrying on without Keith or John but I doubt Townshend would have continued to cal it The Who without Roger, nor would Roger call a band without Pete, The Who.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 25, 2016 21:27

First off,comparing AC/DC's situation to the who is ridiculous because AC/DC were already a huge band before Brian Johnson was ever heard of,there was never a who without Daltrey.

I'm not suprised Roger would say some stupid shit like this,he doesnt even see what a joke he has become after selling that Who cover band they've been cash cowing to the public that never saw the actual Who and don't know the difference.i wouldnt open my mouth about anyone if i were him,A guy sitting in a Lambo that has no engine or transmission and still thinks riding in the fast lane.

Those two songs alone Angus did with GnR at Coachella kicked more ass than anything Roger Daltrey has done in 35 years ,he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 121

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home