Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2014 08:17

You would think that there would be an official statement by now...either a confirmation or denial of the story.

In the meantime...

"CHOIRBOYS singer Mark Gable, who has been friends with AC/DC "for years," said: "That is true, Malcolm is sick… From what I understand, and it's even been confirmed in part by his son Ross [Young]… It would appear Malcolm is unable to perform anymore. It's not just that he is unwell, it's that it is quite serious. It will constitute that he definitely won't be able to perform live. He will probably not be able to record."

Read more at [www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:54

Review by Rod Davies - Enmore Theatre Licks 2003

When a show opens with a 10 minute Midnight Rambler you know its gonna be great. When you get Angus and Malcom Young (AC/DC) on stage for 5-6 minutes of Rock Me Baby, when you get Live with Me, Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, Dead Flowers, No Expectations, and NO Jumping Jack Flash, but rather a closing run including Its Only Rock and Roll, Honky Tonk Woman with Keith on his knees playing the opening riffs one hand in the air, guitar balanced on his knees, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar (BLOODY LOUD and BLOODY LONG) and Satisfaction, when you get Ronnie Wood playing slide guitar on 2 songs whilst seated on a spinning bar stool and not missing a lick, when you get Neighbours, when you get about 500 people standing round the stage sweating and screaming for the whole show and the other 1500 punters in seats all on their feet from second one in a theatre that size, well, it's just gonna be unbeleivable.

OH yeah

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 11:17

THE AGE --- 16 April 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:06

Brian Johnson ; We are not retiring

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:27

Well at least a bit of good news and not a rumour, from a band member. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:40

Huh. Malcolm seems to have indeed suffered a stroke and is done playing but AC/DC are not.

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:47

dcba

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.spiegel.de]

The same message in German on spiegel ...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:57

Hope the rumors are not true, would love to see them for a 3rd time!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:00

Good to hear that the rumor is not true.

But it remains a little questionmark: illness in February 2012 [www.nme.com] , then in February 2014 [www.theguardian.com] , now [www.telegraph.co.uk] .....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:19

I like that he's saying the rumor isn't true. But it also certainly doesn't sound good that he's using the phrase debilitating disease.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:20

from the plethora of 'reports', it seems as though the 'bad news' may in fact be true, in that Malcolm is seriously ill.

I guess the open question is whether the band is actually wrapping it up or not.

It would be sort of like finding that Keith could no longer play and whether despite this, the Stones were going to continue with an album and tour.

If they did, it wouldn't be the same band.

Date: April 16, 2014 16:48

Will they pull out the "1988 trick" once again?

In 88 Mal was so sick from his alcoholism they hired lil Stevie Young to play the tour.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:54

muenke
dcba

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.spiegel.de]

The same message in German on spiegel ...
Der Spiegel is just translating the Telegraph article and mentions it as source.
but a comment on the telegraph page tells a not so new story:

" thegenieofthelamp • 2 hours ago

There's nothing new here. This is just a rehash of comments Brian made a few months ago about the band reconvening. It's not the AC/DC way to comment on media speculation and certainly nothing has been said over the past few days since the stories of Malcolm's ill health came to light. Shoddy reporting.

Date: April 16, 2014 17:09

treaclefingers
from the plethora of 'reports', it seems as though the 'bad news' may in fact be true, in that Malcolm is seriously ill.

I guess the open question is whether the band is actually wrapping it up or not.

It would be sort of like finding that Keith could no longer play and whether despite this, the Stones were going to continue with an album and tour.

Alittle different. If Angus couldn't play, it'd be like Keith. This, for lack of a better example, is kind of like if Charlie wasn't there, except that Malcolm writes most of the music and is very involved. But in terms of concert setting, its not comparable to if we were losing Mick and Keith.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:15

treaclefingers

I'd actually liken it to the Stones touring without Mick, since Malcolm is the brains behind AC/DC. Visually, of course, it's different. But the thrill will be gone for Angus without big bro to provide the monster rhythms and lifelong comraderie.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:26

RollingFreak
treaclefingers

Alittle different. If Angus couldn't play, it'd be like Keith. This, for lack of a better example, is kind of like if Charlie wasn't there, except that Malcolm writes most of the music and is very involved. But in terms of concert setting, its not comparable to if we were losing Mick and Keith.

If Charlie's done, the Stones are done. No garbage like Roger/Pete touring as the Who.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:27

Official:

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.
In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 17:28 by BowieStone.

Posted by: MaddOli ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:48

gah.

In my opinion this lost can't carry on without Malcolm.

Keith talks about weaving a lot and the Malcolm + Angus sound is a mastery of this woven style. It doesn't sound like Acca Dacca without. sad smiley

Date: April 16, 2014 17:57

Honestly, Malcolm writes most of the material. Not to be mean towards the band, but their recent material hasn't been great, and I can only imagine it being worse without Malcolm. Can't tell whether I'd want a few farewell dates without Malcolm, or just end it altogether because you can't do AC/DC without Malcolm. I think the latter.

Date: April 16, 2014 18:04

If most of the basic trax have already been written AC/DC can record a final album : Angus will play all the rythmn parts.

Kind of what Slayer did on their latter albums. Jeff H. was in poor condition so King recorded all the rythmn parts.

For the 40 shows they could re-hire Steve Young in a "it stays in the family" fashion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 19:38 by dcba.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:05

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:10

That is sad news.

I thought things may not be so bad after the U.K. Telegraph article with Bruce.

Gotta hope and pray he get's over his medical problems and can play ,and get back to that great band AC/DC.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:22

From official Facebook...

AC/DC
1 hour ago ·
After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.
66,309 Likes·7,104 Comments

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:26

jammingedward

From official Facebook...

Here the link: [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:40

Almost 75,000 likes now - not sure of the FB "like" function is fully appropriate for that kind of announcement...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 18:55 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:58

Maybe he won't be able to physically play, but possibly he could still write?

Just thinking out loud...

This would be akin to the early Beach Boys w/Brian Wilson masterminding all the tunes while the rest of the band go out for a tour?
Not to downplay Malcolm as "just the rhythm guitarist" as he is the main songwriter, but they could easily find a worthy replacement to fill his shoes for live shows?
As long as he is capable of writing the monster riffs, it could still be ACDC?

Hmmm...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 16, 2014 19:12

AC/DC without Malcolm would be like the Stones without Keith

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2014 19:36

andy js
AC/DC without Malcolm would be like the Stones without Keith

I also thought this but was told that actually it would be like the Stones without Charlie, or the Stones without Mick.

I thought Keith was the rhythm guitar player?

Date: April 16, 2014 19:44

Is there really a rhythm guitarist in the Stones? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home