Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 7, 2014 18:33

stonesrule
CBII very gracefully expressed his point of view in this thread.

And since many of you have been pleased to have Chuck Berry's son as a fellow IORR poster through the last years it seems damned rude to go on beating away at his father.

If MR. Berry wants to play two concerts, no one is forcing any of us to attend.

Very well said, stonesrule.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 7, 2014 18:43

I concur.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 7, 2014 20:17

What happened to the "new record" that was going to be "the best one" ever or something? I think that was a decade ago Chuck was teasing us with this. Then I thought he said he was done touring serveral years ago.

Whatever, I loved seeing him in 1999. Some folks still really want to see BB King, I think he lost his chops 15 years ago. If people enjoy it, I hope Chuck keeps giving them what they want.

Chuck Berry is still the King of Rock n' Roll (unless you want to argue Ike Turner...then you might convince me), even if it was once the Johnny Johnson Trio...

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: April 7, 2014 23:06

I love his past greatness. But I don't think he is a particularly nice guy.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:46

Windy...quite a few celebrities are not a "nice guy."

Unless you've personally had some miserable face to face encounters with Chuck, why don't we do what our parents (mine anyway) use to say -- "Respect your elders"?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:54

Chuck obviously loves working, as do many seniors. It keeps him going, makes him feel alive. As he said to Keith: "I ain't dyin'!" If the audience enjoys themselves and doesn't heckle him, or demand refunds, it sounds like a symbiotic good time to me. Chuck to Death - "You can't catch me".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 01:55 by bleedingman.

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: April 8, 2014 02:15

It would be an honor just to be in the same room as Chuck Berry. Listening to his records is always an education for any guitarist.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 8, 2014 04:18

If it wasn't for Chuck Berry every poster on this board would be posting about something other than rock n roll. Think of that. Also nothing is more disrespectful than criticizing someone because of their age.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2014 04:28

More Hot Rocks
If it wasn't for Chuck Berry every poster on this board would be posting about something other than rock n roll. Think of that.

It's Only Jazz and Swing (But I Like It)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 8, 2014 05:38

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
If it wasn't for Chuck Berry every poster on this board would be posting about something other than rock n roll. Think of that.

Best post ever

Date: April 8, 2014 21:00

More Hot Rocks
treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks

Best post ever

I was afraid everyone would think that. Ah well...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2014 21:40

I saw John Lee Hooker late in his career and he had 2 other guitar pickers with him. It was and is great to say that I got to see him. Same with Chuck (or the Stones). This ain't 1956 or 1973, but you can still love them. If ya don't want to spend the money, stay home.

BTW, I saw Chuck in the 1980's and loved the show.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 8, 2014 22:16

paulywaul
letitloose
he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Needless to say you'll disagree. Whatever ........... ?

my point is that you said he should retire, and I didn't think it was your place (or anyone else's) to tell someone when to retire.

I want to remember him as someone who gave his life to performing music, and did it til the day he dropped. that is a fantastic legacy.

Date: April 8, 2014 22:38

letitloose
paulywaul
letitloose
he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Needless to say you'll disagree. Whatever ........... ?

my point is that you said he should retire, and I didn't think it was your place (or anyone else's) to tell someone when to retire.

I want to remember him as someone who gave his life to performing music, and did it til the day he dropped. that is a fantastic legacy.

I agree and this is for Chuck and BB and anyone else. You're free not to go.

No need to be shocked if your guitar hero at age 90 can't play as if he were 75 anymore. Read a review...that's what they're there for.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 8, 2014 22:57

I just don't see how this could possibly diminish or undo the gifts he has given the world. He has written or inspired the greatest rock songs ever written. His legacy is cemented. A few shaky concerts from a genius pushing 90 has no negative effect on that at all.

I'm thinking the Ding-A-Ling clip isn't the best he played that night, and the song is silly anyway, but I found some charm in that performance.

Anyone paying for these upcoming shows knows they are not going to get Chuck in his prime, or even close to it, but choose to pay to see it anyway. Personally, I would go see him and cherish the few & far between notes he hits and licks he nails. I would rather see one faded, cracking, dusty brush stroke made by Rembrandt than a thousand perfect, complete paintings from imitators!

Bless his heart. Rock 'til ya drop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 22:59 by Ross.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 05:35

To see Chuck one last time? I would not hesitate to pay as much as I paid to see the Stones just recently. He can't play guitar anymore? So you wouldn't go to see Keef if he did a gig when he is in his 90's -- God bless him -- and he couldn't play guitar? It's the MAN, man! Just the sight of him, just to be close to him is enough. These people have a vibration, have an aura that they will never loose.

We are very lucky that we still have Chuck.

You wanna hear Keef sing because he could sing so well? (Ask somebody who is not a fan of the Stones about Keef's singing. I don't think you get a positive comment.) It's all about the FEEL, baby!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 9, 2014 07:40

To me there is absolutely nothing better in rocknroll than the Stones doing a Chuck Berry song. However, if Keith were in his 90s and couldn't play guitar, I would not pay $750 to go 'feel' him. The same with Chuck.

In the late 90s I had a goal to see Chuck Berry at Blueberry Hill. At the time he still played decent, but I had heard enough stories from fellow fans about him not caring at all during the gig, sloppy playing and that he was dismissive of the fans before/after the gig. So charming on-stage, jerk off-stage. Whether this was true or not, this is what I read online at the time. I never did get to see him back when he could still play, but it is obvious that his skill has diminished beyond enjoyment, for me.

I agree with most of you... if you don't like it (and I don't), then don't go (and I wont).

I LOVE CHUCK BERRY'S MUSIC. The man contributed so much to rocknroll... That being said, his days of contributing are over. I wouldn't pay a dime to see him in his current shape, but I do take great joy in popping on a vinyl of Sweet Little Sixteen and slowing it down to the correct tempo for everyone to hear the real version.

For me it is ALL about the music and I cannot relate to the idol worship. Chuck cannot play guitar currently. He jumps between bad notes, bad playing, and miraculously getting both hands working correctly to bang out something that sounds like notes. Anyone going to see him now is just going to 'be in the room' with him. I would love to have a beer with him, but it is just plain painful to see him have such a difficult time playing.

To me, it is ALL about the music. Chuck has every right to play until the day he dies, but as of this very moment I have one choice. Never see Chuck Berry play in person, or this....

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 08:40

Oh! And Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll is the one of the greatest rockumentaries ever! Get the version with 4 DVD's.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 09:34

frenki09
Oh! And Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll is the one of the greatest rockumentaries ever! Get the version with 4 DVD's.

I just watched it yesterday. Absolutely mindblowing. Chuck is amazing obviously, but also Keith's playing is one of the best I have ever heard. He was in his top form in the eighties. Too bad that The Stones were not able to take advantage of that. Well, the whole eighties was an unfortunate time for a guitarplayer like Keith. Anyway, Hail Hail, Hampton and the Checkerboard lounge gig are really my favourite moments of Keith's guitar playing.

But back to CB. It is really an amazing document, it could not be better. I wish we had similar documents about Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash, B.B., Muddy Waters and others.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 9, 2014 14:50

frenki09

Yes it is and that's a very good reason for CB to retire before to many will remember him making a fool of himself which is a fact right now.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 9, 2014 15:42

JumpinJeppeFlash
reason for CB to retire before to many will remember him making a fool of himself which is a fact right now.

JumpinJeppeFlash
And you must be tonedeaf if you for real think Chuck Berry can still play guitar.

JumpinJeppeFlash
Compare this performance with CB current playing is nothing but a big joke.

JumpinJeppeFlash
you might not have enough music ears to hear that he is out of key and having big problems even playing simple chords.

JumpinJeppeFlash
He can't play any longer, why do people deny the obvious?

JumpinJeppeFlash
People paying money to see Chuck Berry making a fool of himself and playing like a three year old are either tonedeaf or stupid.

JumpinJeppeFlash
Very much embarrassing i would say, it´s total madness. He can´t play a chord right anymore.

OK OK OK, You've made your point now. I think I know what you mean smileys with beer Cheers.
But I still believe there is nothing wrong with people enjoying themselves at a Chuck Berry show, no matter what other people might think of it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 9, 2014 17:35

flacnvinyl
To me there is absolutely nothing better in rocknroll than the Stones doing a Chuck Berry song. However, if Keith were in his 90s and couldn't play guitar, I would not pay $750 to go 'feel' him. The same with Chuck.

In the late 90s I had a goal to see Chuck Berry at Blueberry Hill. At the time he still played decent, but I had heard enough stories from fellow fans about him not caring at all during the gig, sloppy playing and that he was dismissive of the fans before/after the gig. So charming on-stage, jerk off-stage. Whether this was true or not, this is what I read online at the time. I never did get to see him back when he could still play, but it is obvious that his skill has diminished beyond enjoyment, for me.

I agree with most of you... if you don't like it (and I don't), then don't go (and I wont).

This is beyond embarrassing...

I LOVE CHUCK BERRY'S MUSIC. The man contributed so much to rocknroll... That being said, his days of contributing are over. I wouldn't pay a dime to see him in his current shape, but I do take great joy in popping on a vinyl of Sweet Little Sixteen and slowing it down to the correct tempo for everyone to hear the real version.

For me it is ALL about the music and I cannot relate to the idol worship. Chuck cannot play guitar currently. He jumps between bad notes, bad playing, and miraculously getting both hands working correctly to bang out something that sounds like notes. Anyone going to see him now is just going to 'be in the room' with him. I would love to have a beer with him, but it is just plain painful to see him have such a difficult time playing.

To me, it is ALL about the music. Chuck has every right to play until the day he dies, but as of this very moment I have one choice. Never see Chuck Berry play in person, or this....

This is beyond embarrassing...

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: April 9, 2014 18:13

chuck berry today?
If You're interested in music, well played rock'n roll, stay home and pick up one of his older lps; if You're interested in clowning, go to the show, You won't be disappointed! sad smiley
my 2 cents
m.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:41

michaelsavage
Agreed!
That reminds me of watching them role out Dick Clark for his last couple of New Year Eve specials. SAD!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:45

I've seen Chuck several times in the 70's. That is the Chuck I choose to remember.smileys with beer

Date: April 9, 2014 21:36

Rolling Hansie
JumpinJeppeFlash
reason for CB to retire before to many will remember him making a fool of himself which is a fact right now.

JumpinJeppeFlash
And you must be tonedeaf if you for real think Chuck Berry can still play guitar.

JumpinJeppeFlash
Compare this performance with CB current playing is nothing but a big joke.

JumpinJeppeFlash
you might not have enough music ears to hear that he is out of key and having big problems even playing simple chords.

JumpinJeppeFlash
He can't play any longer, why do people deny the obvious?

JumpinJeppeFlash
People paying money to see Chuck Berry making a fool of himself and playing like a three year old are either tonedeaf or stupid.

JumpinJeppeFlash
Very much embarrassing i would say, it´s total madness. He can´t play a chord right anymore.

OK OK OK, You've made your point now. I think I know what you mean smileys with beer Cheers.
But I still believe there is nothing wrong with people enjoying themselves at a Chuck Berry show, no matter what other people might think of it.

He has some put options on Chuck....he's trying to drive the price down.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 10, 2014 02:26

There's a hotline for that:

Missouri’s Elder Abuse and Neglect Hotline responds to reports of abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation. If you suspect someone is being abused, neglected or exploited, call the hotline at 800-392-0210.

[health.mo.gov]

Date: April 10, 2014 03:11

stonesrule
I wonder if DoomandGloom would write this way about his mother or father -- or about any of the Rolling Stones?

Well I don't want to go on a big defence here because I'm sure he can speak for himself, but it seems to me that he's just concerned about CB, and possibly jumping to conclusions.

Probably not fair to be dumping on CBII...we don't know what the actual story is here.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 10, 2014 03:23

I would assume Chuck has some booking staff that negotiates and works with promoters, agents, insurance companies, etc. Surely they are aware of what to expect when he plays. Are they also complicit in this apparent conspiracy to exploit Chuck's alleged lack of cognizance?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 07:08

treaclefingers
stonesrule
I wonder if DoomandGloom would write this way about his mother or father -- or about any of the Rolling Stones?

Well I don't want to go on a big defence here because I'm sure he can speak for himself, but it seems to me that he's just concerned about CB, and possibly jumping to conclusions.

Judging from other threads he is "concerned" about many things then.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home