Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: To American Stones fans, how do you feel about....?
Date: March 19, 2014 22:08

Michael Jackson in Gary, Indiana, no?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 19, 2014 22:10

Aquamarine
kleermaker
Aquamarine
guitarbastard
elvis had a great voice and of course was important somehow. but he could hardly play the guitar and didnt write a song on his own. how can anyone call him the KING of rock n roll?? this title goes to chuck berry. when i travelled down the mississippi last year i was shocked how little attention the old (black) blues and rock and roll masters get. no street is named after them, no museum, nothing. but elvis is @#$%& everywhere. it's just so wrong!

You should have called me before you came! You obviously missed the Mississippi Blues Trail, the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale (and all the other Clarksdale sites), the guitar monument at the crossroads on Highway 61 where Robert Johnson supposedly met the devil, all the birth sites and grave sites, such as Sonny Boy Williamson's . . . And that's just in one small area of Mississippi!

But why no street names?? I wonder why.

Not many, admittedly, but there are some--John Lee Hooker Lane, McKinley St., plus Muddy waters has a Chicago street named after him.

That's a shame...Muddy should have a canal named in his honor...

Date: March 19, 2014 22:11

grinning smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 20, 2014 00:14

I used to be an Elvis fan as a kid - even read quite alot about him and did my first steps in reading English (above the school exercise) reading P. Presley's "Elvis and Me" which my father owned. I knew then the "classic" chronology of the Elvis career:

1956-58: the rebel rockers
1960-62: the comeback
1962-68: the actor
1968-77: the Vegas Elvis.

I remember feeling that "The real idol" was the Elvis of 1956-58 ad was actually upset that so little filmed documentation of those years existed as I felt there must have been a similar to a Beatlemania situation in America. A few years ago, for the fun of it, I spent some time re reading and re checking my old concepts about Elvis using the now available flow of online resources. I was actually rather surprised to find out Elvis did a descent amount of "touring" during 1956, rather limited touring in 1957, none in 1958 and only some 2-3 shows after his army period! (one being a benefit in Hawaii). It was the TV hosting shows (Ed Sullivan etc.) that were most of his fans (not to mention all Americans) were able to see him. Made me feel that the observation mentioned earlier in this thread - that Elvis was the first American Idol" is somewhat true.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2014 00:59

Justin
I can't say I'm surprised by most of the comments here because most of these comments reek of typical "classic rock" mentality. In a genre comprised mainly of guitar heroes/gods, it's no surprise why Presley is generally misunderstood to most classic rock fans. The lack of songwriting, the crappy 60's movies, Vegas and whatever flimsy reasons to dismiss Presley are generally very weak that more often than not usually hide a personal dislike for Presley that one cannot admit. Whatever the reason, it displays a hugely irresponsible view on his impact on popular music and proves taht there is much room for education regarding Elvis Presley.

A popular notion that Presley was less "musical" than his peers is incorrect. Presley in essence produced all of his sessions himself. All those great songs we know and love? Yeah Presley arranged them. The music all came through the filter that was Presley's. The inspiration started with him and worked its way throughout the band. It was his guitar playing that served as foundation to Scotty Moore and Bill Black on what is considered the first rock and roll record ever: "That's All Right." His rhythm playing which was clearly based in country music, combined with his voice dripping of blues is the basic recipe for any rock and roll tune which is still being used today.

The cheap shot that Elvis never wrote a song is nothing but that: a cheap shot. "Hound Dog" was originally recorded by the great blues singer Big Mama Thornton but the song was written by two Jewish men from New York: Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller. Does that make Thornton's version any less great? The truth is by the time the song got to Elvis Presley---he had transformed the song into something that never existed before. He took a blues song and completely transformed it into a rock and roll song. Whether he wrote the song or not has become of a footnote to the bigger issue: he created something that no one had heard before.

One cannot also forget that the song that single-handedly brought our guy Keith Richards to rock and roll was Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel." It was Scotty Moore's guitar playing that influenced not only Keith Richards but Jimmy Page and a slew of other players from the period. It goes without saying that the effect Presley had on singers was immeasurable: from Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey to Elton John...the list is long. Musicians have gone on record to cite Presley's music as a huge influence on them.

Presley's influence was humongus. It was more than what you saw and what he sang or what he did/didn't play. It's how he made people feel. The essence of rock and roll however you want to call it: danger, fear, sex, anger...Elvis Presley pulled it right out of everyone during a period when no one knew they had it in them. His contribution to music extends into popular culture in a way that even the great Chuck Berry could not even reach. Bob Dylan said it best: "When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail." Chuck Berry's influence is tangible: it comes in the form of his songwriting and guitar work which laid the foundation to the "sound" of rock and roll. Elvis Presley's influence was much much larger.

In a nutshell. For anyone to think that rock n roll would have been the cultural force that we know it today if its main figurehead was anyone BUT Elvis Presley is naive in the extreme. You summed it up perfectly with that 'classic rock mentality' comment.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:01

Wroclaw
I used to be an Elvis fan as a kid - even read quite alot about him and did my first steps in reading English (above the school exercise) reading P. Presley's "Elvis and Me" which my father owned. I knew then the "classic" chronology of the Elvis career:

1956-58: the rebel rockers
1960-62: the comeback
1962-68: the actor
1968-77: the Vegas Elvis.

I remember feeling that "The real idol" was the Elvis of 1956-58 ad was actually upset that so little filmed documentation of those years existed as I felt there must have been a similar to a Beatlemania situation in America. A few years ago, for the fun of it, I spent some time re reading and re checking my old concepts about Elvis using the now available flow of online resources. I was actually rather surprised to find out Elvis did a descent amount of "touring" during 1956, rather limited touring in 1957, none in 1958 and only some 2-3 shows after his army period! (one being a benefit in Hawaii). It was the TV hosting shows (Ed Sullivan etc.) that were most of his fans (not to mention all Americans) were able to see him. Made me feel that the observation mentioned earlier in this thread - that Elvis was the first American Idol" is somewhat true.

No, its very far from it in fact. And er...his music prior to 1956 had some significant long term impact, to say the least. He was mostly definitely a lot more than some kind of media creation. Like most acts of that era - and The Beatles and the Stones after him - he paid his dues as a live act before he ever started selling many records.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:04

DandelionPowderman
Justin
I can't say I'm surprised by most of the comments here because most of these comments reek of typical "classic rock" mentality. In a genre comprised mainly of guitar heroes/gods, it's no surprise why Presley is generally misunderstood to most classic rock fans. The lack of songwriting, the crappy 60's movies, Vegas and whatever flimsy reasons to dismiss Presley are generally very weak that more often than not usually hide a personal dislike for Presley that one cannot admit. Whatever the reason, it displays a hugely irresponsible view on his impact on popular music and proves taht there is much room for education regarding Elvis Presley.

A popular notion that Presley was less "musical" than his peers is incorrect. Presley in essence produced all of his sessions himself. All those great songs we know and love? Yeah Presley arranged them. The music all came through the filter that was Presley's. The inspiration started with him and worked its way throughout the band. It was his guitar playing that served as foundation to Scotty Moore and Bill Black on what is considered the first rock and roll record ever: "That's All Right." His rhythm playing which was clearly based in country music, combined with his voice dripping of blues is the basic recipe for any rock and roll tune which is still being used today.

The cheap shot that Elvis never wrote a song is nothing but that: a cheap shot. "Hound Dog" was originally recorded by the great blues singer Big Mama Thornton but the song was written by two Jewish men from New York: Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller. Does that make Thornton's version any less great? The truth is by the time the song got to Elvis Presley---he had transformed the song into something that never existed before. He took a blues song and completely transformed it into a rock and roll song. Whether he wrote the song or not has become of a footnote to the bigger issue: he created something that no one had heard before.

One cannot also forget that the song that single-handedly brought our guy Keith Richards to rock and roll was Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel." It was Scotty Moore's guitar playing that influenced not only Keith Richards but Jimmy Page and a slew of other players from the period. It goes without saying that the effect Presley had on singers was immeasurable: from Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey to Elton John...the list is long. Musicians have gone on record to cite Presley's music as a huge influence on them.

Presley's influence was humongus. It was more than what you saw and what he sang or what he did/didn't play. It's how he made people feel. The essence of rock and roll however you want to call it: danger, fear, sex, anger...Elvis Presley pulled it right out of everyone during a period when no one knew they had it in them. His contribution to music extends into popular culture in a way that even the great Chuck Berry could not even reach. Bob Dylan said it best: "When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail." Chuck Berry's influence is tangible: it comes in the form of his songwriting and guitar work which laid the foundation to the "sound" of rock and roll. Elvis Presley's influence was much much larger.

Post of the month! thumbs up

I agree. Sure set me straight. But, we're talking Elvis as impact, or influence on the Beatles and the Stones ( and a lot more). Sure, he's still the King as far as that goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-20 01:04 by nightskyman.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:28

Justin's post is spot on!!

JamesfDouglas is spot off Freddie Mercury in no way is better than Mick Jagger. he has a better voice technically and that is where it ends.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:34

slew

JamesfDouglas is spot off Freddie Mercury in no way is better than Mick Jagger. he has a better voice technically and that is where it ends.

They're both amazing frontmen/showmen, with different styles. One doesn't have to be better than the other. Add Springsteen to the trinity, too!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:43

Aquamarine
slew

They're both amazing frontmen/showmen, with different styles. One doesn't have to be better than the other. Add Springsteen to the trinity, too!

Freddie Mercury may have been a great frontman but unfortunately he fronted the band Queen. Mick Jagger on the other hand fronted the Stones which means a hell of a lot more to me.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:47

Elvis is the most influential performer of the 20th century. Elvis opened the door for black music to be played on mainstream radio here in the US. Without Elvis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, would never have had top ten records and would have been relegated to only black r&b radio stations. Elvis is also the reason that every English rocker picked up a guitar.
And as for Freddy Mercury being the greatest front man of all time, he might be considered that in Europe but not in the Us.Once Queen started have big pop hits like Another One Bites the Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love , all my hard rocker freinds considered Freddy a joke. By the time of Live Aid, Queen had been dead in America for five years and their last six albums didn't even crack the top twenty.

Re: Elvis Presley vs Mick Jagger
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:55

Mick who?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:12

stewedandkeefed
Aquamarine
slew

Freddie Mercury may have been a great frontman but unfortunately he fronted the band Queen. Mick Jagger on the other hand fronted the Stones which means a hell of a lot more to me.

Me too--I wasn't a fan of Queen at all, when they were active. Doesn't alter the fact that I recognize Freddie Mercury's amazing talent, even if his music wasn't my thing. (Nearly all the hard-core Queen fans I know are American, FWIW.) He was great at what he did, Mick is great at what HE does.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:56

Yes, Justin your post was bloody fantastic. Very well written and very to the point. Often part of the problem when comparing two artists like Elvis and Mick is the lack of historical context. And it can't be overstated how important Elvis was for rock n' roll and inspiring bands like The Stones, Dylan and everyone after Elvis. Within the historical context it is easy to see how original Elvis was and how influential he was. Your points hit it hard Justin. Elvis was the voice the moves and the music. The man was brilliant. Peel back all the garish movie Vegas excess and strip it back to Elvis the rock n' roller, and the man was indeed the King.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: March 20, 2014 03:06

I had a lovely elvis jumpsuit I used to use for karaokees and fancy dress...
I eventually outgrew it as my waistline expanded so put it in a help the aged clothing bag...
I hope it made some old fella happy.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 20, 2014 03:45

Elvis broke a lot of barriers, but I've regarded him to be a great frontman.

Date: March 20, 2014 03:51

Koen

...i've regarded him the same way Koen...

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 20, 2014 04:11

Justin nailed it, but to pile on... I think Elvis' greatest impact was that he was the catalyst that made it all happen. Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and Little Richard weren't getting into white living rooms without something happening first - and that something was Elvis.

Plus, the guy was a master interpreter, an original, visceral arranger, he had a hell of a voice, great moves, a sense of humor, and was one of the best-looking examples of humanity the world has ever seen.

It's kind of like what I think Keith said about the Beatles, regarding the British Invasion - "They opened up the door, we kicked it down."

But yeah, the only person that could give Mick a run for his money was Elvis at his prime ('56-'58, '68-'70). It really is apples and oranges, though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:10

I think they are/were both formidable.

And even though Mick is quite wiry and physically fit, I think in his prime, let's say 1968, Elvis would have kicked Mick's ass in the ring.

Elvis was a black belt after all. All Mick had was some James Brown moves.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:22

Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:25

JuanTCB
But yeah, the only person that could give Mick a run for his money was Elvis at his prime ('56-'58, '68-'70).

How about Little Richard (who Jagger "borrowed" from) and a few rock gods - Plant, Daltry, Morrison, Hendrix and Mercury?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:26

Youngie
Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything

Haven't heard his version of Sympathy for the Devil, although I have a recording of him doing Hey Jude. ugh.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:39

Elvis Presley vs Mick Jagger 1-1 Outstanding performers and singers...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:22

Aquamarine
kleermaker
Aquamarine
guitarbastard
elvis had a great voice and of course was important somehow. but he could hardly play the guitar and didnt write a song on his own. how can anyone call him the KING of rock n roll?? this title goes to chuck berry. when i travelled down the mississippi last year i was shocked how little attention the old (black) blues and rock and roll masters get. no street is named after them, no museum, nothing. but elvis is @#$%& everywhere. it's just so wrong!

You should have called me before you came! You obviously missed the Mississippi Blues Trail, the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale (and all the other Clarksdale sites), the guitar monument at the crossroads on Highway 61 where Robert Johnson supposedly met the devil, all the birth sites and grave sites, such as Sonny Boy Williamson's . . . And that's just in one small area of Mississippi!

But why no street names?? I wonder why.

Not many, admittedly, but there are some--John Lee Hooker Lane, McKinley St., plus Muddy waters has a Chicago street named after him.

Not many is an euphemism here. I guess it has something to do with the colour of their skin. A white man was needed to bring the black music to the attention of the mass of white people.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:36

I tend not to compare to much as my mindset will never alter.
Im a Big fan of both...

More a dreamer and what if person...

1) if elvis was still alive, would they have met by now ?
2) if elvis had done stadium tours with todays stones technology and screens
3) if elvis had found a stones somg to cover...
4) whats the ultimate opener..2001 or continental drift....
5) black leather 68 suit vs jaggers infamous baseball suit
6) eagle rhinestone jumpsuit vs voodoo lounge sftd tophat suit...

Loads of things I dream up all the time of these two...
I like history the way it is..or should I say "thats the way it was "

Dough

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:46

Have you seen the Elvis Comeback television special from 1968?

Well at one point during it Elvis just sits around with his band and plays the guitar and makes some funny self deprecating commnets here and there. Now that was good music!

That might have been Elvis' key to returning to music if he had had better managment. He could have left the Hollywood glitz and corniness behind and released something less commerically obvious. Imagine Elvis cutting a record with The Band, Bob Dylan, etc? If they were at all interested.

The what ifs!

To answer the original question: There is some truth to the critiscm in this thread but Elvis helped, to put it mildly, midwife Rock and Roll. Imagine if there were not an Elvis and his impact on so many who are now regarded as 'Classic Rock?'

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:15

Munichhilton
Koen

...i've regarded him the same way Koen...

Of course I meant I *never* regarded him ...

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 20, 2014 20:25

deadegad

Well at one point during it Elvis just sits around with his band and plays the guitar and makes some funny self deprecating commnets here and there. Now that was good music!

That might have been Elvis' key to returning to music if he had had better managment. He could have left the Hollywood glitz and corniness behind and released something less commerically obvious. Imagine Elvis cutting a record with The Band, Bob Dylan, etc? If they were at all interested.

The what ifs!

To answer the original question: There is some truth to the critiscm in this thread but Elvis helped, to put it mildly, midwife Rock and Roll. Imagine if there were not an Elvis and his impact on so many who are now regarded as 'Classic Rock?'

You raise an important point here. Elvis had the worst manager in rock n roll history. Elvis wanted to be a great artist but Colonel Tom didn't know or care what that meant.

Date: March 20, 2014 20:50

stewedandkeefed
deadegad

The what ifs!

You raise an important point here. Elvis had the worst manager in rock n roll history. Elvis wanted to be a great artist but Colonel Tom didn't know or care what that meant.

He was a carnie who struck gold and held onto it...like a rat clutching a raft in a river...

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 20, 2014 21:45

When thinking about the amount of documentation we have from the "British invasion" era of 1964-67 (that we still regard as "too low") it is amazing to think how little survived/was in the first place from the 1956-60 era! very little, but the well known TV shows. I used to know only the "HH" bit of this Elvis live at Tupelo show, and was happy to find out this longer film at youtube now. Wow! this looks as if it was ages ago! (well it was... but somehow the 1963 an on stuff seems as if its much closer to out time).

video: [www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home