Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Elvis Presley vs Mick Jagger
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 22, 2017 22:42

stonehearted
wonderboy
Compare Elvis as a solo artist to Mick as a solo artist.
OK -- Elvis started at age 21 and Mick at 41.

Without his original backing band, Elvis would have been nowhere.

Elvis was a singer -- that's it. He had the right look at the right time, but musically there was nothing groundbreaking after the first couple of years.

The real innovative talent in early rock music, the one who could take what was newly established to the next level, was Buddy Holly.

Well, it's been said too many times in this thread to count, but Elvis was able to take the material and shape it into something magical.
Mick is just a great frontman in a rock and roll band. When he tried to go solo he had nothing the public wanted. And Mick is a sex symbol for men who wish they could score like him, but not to women, like Elvis was.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2017 22:56

stone4ever
Elvis was an amazing performer, when he started out there was no one like him. Mick could never move like him , Elvis was so mush more than a singer.
Elvis had moves? Well, he had poses, that's for sure. I don't know, when I think of moves I think of James Brown.

But when Elvis started out, there was Chuck Berry -- who had all kinds of fancy moves, even with a seven-pound guitar strapped over his shoulder.

But for the benefit of those who don't go to concerts and never saw his shows: Was he doing his "moves" while recording in the studio? As a music listener, you can't hear "moves" on record.

Say, when are you going to tout Link Wray, who was doing his groundbreaking thing years before Elvis was even out of grade school?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 22, 2017 23:33

stonehearted
stone4ever
Elvis was an amazing performer, when he started out there was no one like him. Mick could never move like him , Elvis was so mush more than a singer.
Elvis had moves? Well, he had poses, that's for sure. I don't know, when I think of moves I think of James Brown.

But when Elvis started out, there was Chuck Berry -- who had all kinds of fancy moves, even with a seven-pound guitar strapped over his shoulder.

But for the benefit of those who don't go to concerts and never saw his shows: Was he doing his "moves" while recording in the studio? As a music listener, you can't hear "moves" on record.

Say, when are you going to tout Link Wray, who was doing his groundbreaking thing years before Elvis was even out of grade school?

Yeah Link Wray, awesome, never even heard of him. Thanks for the link.
How does a guy like that get unnoticed in the UK. Its a conspiracy lol.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 23, 2017 00:36

stone4ever
stonehearted
stone4ever

Oh my god, you never heard of Link Wray? Well, I suppose it's not surprising -- he's not widely known here in the States either. He had a sizable hit in the late 1950s -- Rumble -- which is considered the first song with "hard rock power chords". And he was on Dick Clark's American Bandstand the nest year with his follow-up single, Rawhide. He did put out a DVD around 20 years ago, where he plays a live concert on his UK tour of 1996 -- but it was a small venue. Anyway, FWIW, when he did sing vocals, he tended to sing like Elvis. And, again, I don't mean to belittle Elvis' contribution, because it was important on many levels -- in one sense he was sowing the seeds of racial integration by getting white middle class kids to listen to songs and music that previously had only been heard by black audiences. Anyway, here's two more links of Link: the Rumble single and the 1959 U.S. television appearance. Hope you'll collect some of his best of CDs, so you can see what most rock fans, to this day, have been missing.

Link to Rumble: [www.youtube.com]

Link to Rawhide: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 23, 2017 00:59

stonehearted
stone4ever
stonehearted
stone4ever

Oh my god, you never heard of Link Wray? Well, I suppose it's not surprising -- he's not widely known here in the States either. He had a sizable hit in the late 1950s -- Rumble -- which is considered the first song with "hard rock power chords". And he was on Dick Clark's American Bandstand the nest year with his follow-up single, Rawhide. He did put out a DVD around 20 years ago, where he plays a live concert on his UK tour of 1996 -- but it was a small venue. Anyway, FWIW, when he did sing vocals, he tended to sing like Elvis. And, again, I don't mean to belittle Elvis' contribution, because it was important on many levels -- in one sense he was sowing the seeds of racial integration by getting white middle class kids to listen to songs and music that previously had only been heard by black audiences. Anyway, here's two more links of Link: the Rumble single and the 1959 U.S. television appearance. Hope you'll collect some of his best of CDs, so you can see what most rock fans, to this day, have been missing.

Thanks for the info Stonehearted, much appreciated. smileys with beer

I recognize Rumble from Pulp Fiction. Awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 01:01 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 23, 2017 01:57

A few days before Elvis died he took me aside and said, "Chester, if anything ever happens to me I want you to be King.''

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: March 23, 2017 02:50

Link Wray kept the Elvis vibe alive for sometime.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 23, 2017 06:48

[www.youtube.com]

Way Down: recorded 10-29-76 at Graceland: His death could come the next summer.
"Way Down" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley. Recorded in October 1976, it was his last single released before his death on August 16, 1977.
The song was written by Layng Martine, Jr. Elvis recorded the song at his home studio in Graceland in late October, 1976.

Released as a single (with "Pledging My Love" on the B-side) on June 6, 1977, it was his single at the time of his death.
It initially peaked at No. 31 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart dated August 6, 1977 and had fallen to No. 53 on the chart for the week ending August 27, 1977.
Thereafter, it reversed direction and reached an even higher peak at No. 18 on 24 September – 1 October 1977.
"Way Down" reached No. 1 on the American Country chart the week he died.[1] Overseas, the song hit the UK Singles Chart a few weeks later,[2] almost seven years after his previous UK number-one single, "The Wonder of You", in 1970.
His previous single, "Moody Blue", had been a number-one hit on the US Country Charts earlier in 1977. "Way Down" was reissued in April 2005 and reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart.[3]

The recording also featured J.D. Sumner singing the words "way on down" at the end of each chorus down to the note low C (C2). At the end of the song, this phrase is octaved, reaching a double low C (C1, three octaves below middle C).[4] According to the Guinness Book of World Records it is the lowest recorded note ever produced by the human voice, first accomplished by Sumner in a 1966 recording of the hymn "Blessed Assurance."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 23, 2017 07:07

Elvis Presley asked David Bowie to be his producer, claims country star
US singer Dwight Yoakam says Bowie revealed the request when the pair discussed their love of Elvis in 1997.

Bowie/Presley

Date: March 26, 2017 00:47

stone4ever
stonehearted
stone4ever
stonehearted
stone4ever

Thanks for the info Stonehearted, much appreciated. smileys with beer

I recognize Rumble from Pulp Fiction. Awesome.

yes thanks stonehearted ! I knew of him vaguely from Raunchy's rep and maybe an early listen when I was too young to 'get it'...
this actually predates the best of 'surf' guitar masters too...
i always thought it was the Dave Davies razor slicing the speaker cone story, for You Really Got Me early power chord stomp. Or maybe Pete Townshend. It seems Pete got his whole Summertime Blues interval lead directly from Raunchy, as well as the full on blown out explosive power chord like 5 or 6 years before Pete (one of my all time faves) even got there...
so thanks for this and all hail to Link Wray. this cat is majorly major guitar man.
This guy STILL not in rok n' wenners hall of fame? that goes to show it's increasingly irrelvanvcy. He should have been a premeire inductee along with Elvis and those, and far far before any UK rock and roll artist imo.
Dead at 76, and all but forgotten and ignored by the highest noblesse of rock and roll hall of fame guitar history. not right. he was there first and with the most ferocity too.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:46

Elvis is THE KING now and forever.

Jagger is fine fellow himself, but let's remember he had the greatest backup band in the history of rock and roll. Elvis didn't have that.

Is Elvis superior to Keith Richards. Now THAT is an open question...

Date: March 26, 2017 04:21

yes and please let's also remember that contrary to some posters i really trust and enjoy here, Elvis did NOT make it without playing a rock and roll instrument. That is just simply not true. The thing that broke him more than anything was that Sun session and the two main sides he pulled out of there with a couple of young session guys who were paid to help him make a demo. Yes there was a stand up base and the great Scotty Moore was there kind of jazz rocking his way inmto complementing and understanding this new thing....and doing it brilliantly....

...but it was Elvis on rhythm guitar on That's Alright and Blue Moon. No drums. Elvis' guitar was sorta the drums. I mean he's not known as this great guitarist obviously but to give credit where credit is well due, his rhythm guitar on his first single, his first air play, ALL his very many first two years of shows or more...featured his rhythm guitar. He could play it damn well, right on the beat, and did. and it drove those songs into rock and roll history with the rest of his career, becoming in a way, rock and roll history itself. Elvis Presley: Rhythm Guitar. It's right there in the mix. Right where it needs to be to drive it home. And it did.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 28, 2017 23:06

I am sure jagger solo and with stones have played live to more fans than elvis did,elvis was great singer too and jagger is too and songwriter plus playing guitar,harp and keyboards too,we as fans have diff taste and why we like one more than other. ELVIS WAS KING OF ROCK WHILE STONES WITH MICK JAGGER ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND.

Date: June 4, 2017 20:21

Elvis Discusses Atonality
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 07:32

Jagger is peerless. Virtually every town on the planet has at least one decent Elvis impersonator – hell, my third-martini take of ‘In The Ghetto’ would give you goosebumps - but nobody can impersonate the inimitable Mick Jagger without coming off a clown.

Date: June 5, 2017 14:10

mick impersponators really pulling it off = number of elvis impersonators really pulling it off imo. smiling smiley
Michael Phi-LIP is truly deeply, fascinatingly great. Elvis Aaron is The King.
Been listening to Way Down in The Jungle Room a lot last week. A whole lotta Elvis goin' on here...smileys with beer

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 17:16

Swayed1967
Jagger is peerless. Virtually every town on the planet has at least one decent Elvis impersonator

This is exactly the point: Elvis is ubiquitous. By comparison, Jagger is niche. Not trying to make artistic or commercial comparisons, just stating the obvious: Elvis IS the King. His role in 20th century pop culture is almost immeasurable.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2017 18:06

LongBeachArena72
Swayed1967
Jagger is peerless. Virtually every town on the planet has at least one decent Elvis impersonator

This is exactly the point: Elvis is ubiquitous. By comparison, Jagger is niche. Not trying to make artistic or commercial comparisons, just stating the obvious: Elvis IS the King. His role in 20th century pop culture is almost immeasurable.

So it goes. Like comparing Keith Richards to Jimi Hendrix. Or The Stones to the Beatles haha.. somethings in the hierachy of pop culture are just 'obvious', going beyond personal taste... But then again, one could ask what is the actual cash value of these kind of "facts".... What do we need them for...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-05 18:16 by Doxa.

Date: June 5, 2017 20:42

Elvis Presley - Unedited Masters Nashville 1970
Cindy, Cindy (Unedited O.V. master )
[youtu.be]

[youtu.be] smoking smiley grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-05 21:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2017 22:21

I think you look at the recorded material, and the live performances, over a 20 year period, the best 20 year period. For Elvis sadly that is basically his entire career and for Mick, that is 63-83.

On the recorded material, I'd have to go with the Stones, therefore Mick because of the consistent high level of quality during those first 20 years. Elvis was the king during the 50s to early 60s and then had a really bad period until he returned in 69 with Suspicious Minds/In the Ghetto/The Comeback Special. But after that there was no upward trajectory for him...more of a downward spiral, both in his concerts and on record.

He still had some great stuff, but there was no Some Girls, Tattoo You or hit single until he died.

As much as I love Elvis, part of the reason why he was so massive and unmatched was that there was nothing like it...he was on his own through the 50s, until the Beatles blew his career apart.

Live performances? I relistened to the Aloha from Hawaii special...some of it was very bad...not like I remembered it watching it as a child. Mick's in his 70s and for whatever you say about the performances invariably he's the best musician in the band right now.

Could Elvis have been better? Absolutely, but he didn't have control over his life with the drug addiction, or the aspiration to be better than that string of C movies in the 60s.

Is Elvis perceived as bigger than Mick? Yes. Was he better? They did different things, and much of it is a matter of preference, but I think it's indisputable that Mick did more with less.

Mick was strong where Elvis was weak...that's the sad thing about Elvis' career, not how great it was, but how much greater it could have been.

Date: June 5, 2017 22:51

The King's mistakes are better than most pop/rockers entire careers.
Elvis Out Takes - Warning! XXX Rated.
[www.youtube.com]

Warning: This youtube clip contains some naughty words.

Date: June 16, 2017 03:46

Elvis Presley - Great Natural Dancer
[www.youtube.com]

ELVIS PRESLEY - ROCK DANCER
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 04:08 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home