Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40
Re: R.I.P. L'Wren Scott :- (
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:17

this women was a lot more famous in her own right than I realized.

Madonna "This is a horrible and tragic loss. I'm so upset. I loved L'Wren's work and she was always so generous with me."

Nicole Kidman, "heartbroken and in shock right now and unable to say anything"

Bianca Jagger "Heartbroken to learn of the loss of the lovely and talented L'Wren Scott. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. May she rest in peace."

Naomi Campbell "L'Wren was the epitome of elegance and femininity"

etc etc etc

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:06

Doxa
I write here about Mick because I get the impression from moderator's orders that this thread is dedicated to deal this 'matter' from all possible angles, as long they are done with a respect. If it does look unsuitable here - because I don't speak of L'Wren - please let me know people, and I'll find it another thread ('complaint' one I guess).

As far as Mick Jagger goes, what is also so tragical in this horrible event is that during his time with L'Wren Sir Mick finally seemed to get out of the tabloid crap he's been associated with all of his adult life. There weren't any longer nasty gossips reporting his doings here and there. The last time Jagger really was making negative headlines was his divorce with Jerry. Then Jagger got - rightly or not I don't know - all the hate and dispise from pseudo-feminist/ moralistic tabloid camp one could get. The only time since then that happened it was thanks to his band-mate to have fun of him negatively (todger-gate). Jagger simply haven't offered material any longer to make such news, and the tabloid scene have also accepted this 'new' Jagger. He has his reputation, we all know that, but what actually has happened have been damn positive to him. The aging rock star - and the one most protecting for his privacy - have been able to live his life, which also from an outset - the front to public sphere - looked relaxed and 'good'. The kids all around the world were singing "move like Jagger", and recognizing his iconist status, and the guy himself looked like making a peace with his own legendary past, and, you know, maturing up. It all has looked so great for Jagger in public.

But now all of that explodes in one big bang - maybe in biggest one ever. Not that this must be his biggest personal tragedy ever, damn sure the tabloid will have a field day. 'Yeah, that's our Jagger! We almost forget that one, but he's back!'And shit, there are all those biographers already busy editing their Jagger-books to add there a new final chapter to go along with the scandalous earlier ones, and after some boring ones. It is both his private and public life on flames here. As so much he has to do sorting out his personal pain and private life, he needs to deal with the public one too.

I don't think he, after all these years, deserved and deserves that. That looks so unjust. So damn wrong. I guess for the very first time ever I actually am feeling sorry for him, as crazy as it might sound. He is a human being, after all. That semi-god.

Or at least this all looks very disappointing to my eyes; weren't we all like wittnessing a kind of 'happy end' in all fronts here, the band, is members and their families and lives - even Ronnie finally sorted out, Taylor back onboard - everybody feeling happy and rightfully so. We all were so happy.

And then disaster like this happens. In the very private center of the whole Stones world. It is just so sad. So terribly sad.

- Doxa

thumbs up I feel the same way, so sad for Mick but so very true.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:09

Yea she was actually an artist in her own right and she was beautiful and she tried to make her own money and she loved Mick. I detect a lot of people just dis her as a hanger on. the fact is, she loved mick enough to not try and change him, to not ask for marriage, children, and not use his money. I am sure she was subject to the evil that is cyber bullying and to top it off, mick's prior family was dissing her as well. She probably wanted her own kid. and being 49 you can't have a kid anymore. then the debt from the business. Add it all up and I think I would have topped myself off as well.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:50

"she loved mick enough to not try and change him, to not ask for marriage, children, and not use his money."

how on earth do you know that?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:01

She seemed a very sweet natured with a fun streak. Her pics and joy from the 50..And counting tour were really quite endearing. I remember getting a reply or a few words back from her on twitter and thinking how much fun she seemed to be having. Mick wearing her cool designs and being an integral part of the amazing Rolling Stones 50th anniversary tour.. Then the morning of the day of her death one of her tweets caught my eye. It hadn't occurred to me she wasn't tweeting much about this tour, as I hadn't been following it as I was the 50th either. But her (final?) tweet did leave me wondering why she wasn't along for the ride.. Probably had business to attend to I thought..

Re: L'Wren Scott dead...? :- (
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:03

GOO What the hell kind of a rumor are you trying to begin with that shit? Any inside info you have that they even had problems?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:08

rob51
GOO What the hell kind of a rumor are you trying to begin with that shit? Any inside info you have that they even had problems?
Not sure who you are responding to. Is it not clear that their relationship had ended, Mick had gone on tour without her and that was it? That was public on Stones boards and elsewhere before this tragic event. Nobody here has inside info, but nobody here is starting any rumors it has all been reported elsewhere, continues to be, and will continue to be.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:24

paulm
stupidguy2
Jeez, paulmm,
that's cynical. W
Whatever 'legalizing', 'damage control' is going on, the man just lost someone who was dear to him. That overshadows everything.
He's not just MICK JAGGER, ICONIC ROCK STAR -
he's a guy who's partner just killed herself.

MJ must be experiencing great anguish. But don't kid yourself about potential implications that the media might fuel given the very recent break-up. MJ is in no way responsible for someone else's mental state. But you know as well as I do that if the media develops the narrative that L'Wren ended her life because MJ dumped her, that takes on a different aspect with potential implications—you can fill in the blanks. I feel that some wording was legalese, and that is taking nothing away from the genuine anguish the man must be experiencing on several levels.

Got ya. I see your point from the angle of where the press, especially British tabloid press, will play this.
This just plays into their hands..and its already starting with insinuations regarding the state of their relationship.
Mick has been an avowed son-of-a-bitch when it came to his relationships with the women in his life, but he's not a monster - both Jerry and Bianc, his longest relationships besides Lwren, have a friendly affection for him. And that says alot. It is possible that it has nothing to do with him, or money or debt or anything else, or maybe it did, Who knows. But we'll never know what makes a human being end their life like this.

Date: March 19, 2014 06:31

--i thought his was a terrific, and compelling remembrance from a good friend- in the NY Times-

"L’Wren Scott was beguiling to her friends, so I can’t imagine what strangers thought of her. There was her height: 6-foot-7 in heels, which made me (5-foot-7) feel like a shrimp.

I remember sitting on a trunk backstage at Madison Square Garden, watching a parade of guests come to greet her boyfriend, Mick Jagger, at the start of the Rolling Stones’ Bigger Bang Tour, in 2005. There, after Ahmet Ertegun, were Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, then undergrads, and L’Wren beamed and swept down like Glinda the Good Witch to hug the girls.

The gesture conveyed much, but mainly warmth and empathy. Despite her Amazonian height and courtesan-like glamour, L’Wren could rapidly close the distance to another human being. And this was especially true for the most insecure of humans: celebrities. You felt at ease and never overshadowed by her, or indeed her famous boyfriend.

L’Wren was made of softer clay, to use a phrase of the late writer Lesley Blanch. The Olsens were then struggling for acceptance, as adults, as would-be designers, and L’Wren, who wasn’t big on group opinion, offered her encouragement. And this was while she was quietly starting her own label and facing the inevitable detractors.

I took note of many things she said or did over the years that I knew her. She was a marvelous teacher, in a way; few people, outside of a French couture salon or a Hollywood costume shop, knew as many practical dressmaker tricks as she did, illusions that bolstered your confidence as they revealed (to me) fundamental lessons about dressing.

Even if a woman didn’t relate to L’Wren’s style (and it was very specific style, based on her fairly old-fashioned aesthetic), I used to think she would have an empire if she could talk one-on-one with her customers. That’s no doubt a reason so many actresses stuck with L’Wren: Nicole Kidman, Ellen Barkin, Sarah Jessica Parker, Julianne Moore, Christina Hendricks. She was so well informed and prepared, and at the same time so funny and offhand about the fuss, that you naturally trusted her

And she didn’t talk about her friends or clients. O.K., a little, but nothing that really mattered. This was something else I learned from L’Wren and admired in an increasingly blabbering world: she didn’t share. She had firm boundaries, and they applied equally to her relationships and confidences.

Which is not say she didn’t give great girlfriend advice (“Dr. Scott is on the line,” she wrote in a text last fall), but she had enormous self-control (or self-respect?) when it came to her privacy. She once made reference to a husband in her past, maybe two husbands — I wasn’t sure. Anyhow, I knew not to pursue the matter.

Our friendship had its roots in the mid 1990s, when she was working as a fashion coordinator for the Academy Awards and styling for the photographer Herb Ritts in Los Angeles, often for his work in Vanity Fair. We became better acquainted around 2000, when our mutual friend Ronnie Newhouse brought us together over lunch. L’Wren was then living between Los Angeles, where she had a home in Hollywood Hills, and London (or Paris), and, I think, already seeing Mick, although their romance wasn’t public.

In later years, L’Wren spent more and more time in Europe until she and Mick finally settled into a large house in London and a Paris apartment with room for his children. She started her label in a much smaller Paris flat, on the Rue de Bellechasse, using a bedroom for a studio and holding small dinner parties during the collections in the front hall. I remember evenings with Hedi Slimane and François-Henri Pinault; many others, too.

And in those days, her business really ran on a shoestring, with L’Wren and maybe two other women doing all the work. She had an incredible work ethic; if there was one thing that bound all her friends, wherever they were born, it was that. And there was no job she wasn’t willing to do herself, which became a problem as her company got bigger.

Eventually, L’Wren sold her house in Los Angeles. I’ve been thinking a lot about that charming little house, with its funky walled garden and aura of silent-era Hollywood, in the days since her suicide. I visited the house only once — for an alfresco Thanksgiving dinner in 2006, with Mick, Charlie Watts, Ronnie and Jo Wood, and our friend the publicist Ina Treciokas, before the band played at Dodger Stadium — but I knew it represented her independence and everything she had built. She was a success in her relationship with Mick, I believe, because she maintained some of that independence, and for his part he truly welcomed her friends into their life and made us feel at home.

But I can’t help thinking, now, that a huge part of L’Wren’s spirit, what gave her grit and endurance, remained in the West. And without it, maybe she was maybe was a little lost, a little less sure of herself.

Like many small designers, she had problems managing her business: cash flow, finding the right managers, getting her goods out of Italian factories on schedule. Two years ago, our friendship was tested when, after hearing her troubles, I told her she should give herself a time limit to resolve matters or get out. Putting her health in jeopardy because of stress was not worth it, I told her.

She didn’t like the advice. And true to form, she dug in. She got her house in order and struck a number of deals, including one last year with Banana Republic, that gave her new exposure. In late November, after a week or so with Mick in Natchez, Miss, where he is producing a James Brown biopic, she sent a text from London that said, in part, “mad day fitting AMAZING things!!”

After my partner died in early February, L’Wren was the first to call and send a note. When we finally spoke, two weeks later, I was surprised to hear how run down and discouraged she sounded. She spoke of production problems, forcing her to cancel her fall show. Again, I urged her to put her health first.

Besides, I told her: “You’re entrepreneurial — that’s your strength. You’ll have new ideas. Just give yourself a break now.”

I sent her text on March 12, checking in. She didn’t reply, but that wasn’t unusual. I learned since her death that she was planning to close her business, with an announcement on Wednesday. Still, as painful as the decision must have been for her, I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from it about her state of mind. Nor should any credence be given to reports of a breakup with Mick. It’s rubbish.

She was with friends on Sunday night, and, yes, they were deeply concerned about her, but, no, they didn’t think she would do something so desperate. Not L’Wren.

Her death is inexplicable to me, and it makes me angry, too. Angry because it’s the loss of a vital, intelligent woman, and angry because, this once, I don’t want her to be a mystery to me."

From 1999 to 2014, Cathy Horyn was the fashion critic for The New York Times.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:34

I had a bout of deep depression back in the mid nineties that came out of the blue. It's a fu_cked up illness and needs to be treated. Suicide is tragic.
Mick and others are feeling guilt.
Mick, and family..... heal

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:52

Wow...thanks for posting that HB...some real insight on her state of mind.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:54

rob51

Not sure to whom you are addressing,but if it's me,I am not "trying to begin" anything.I was relaying my personal observations and remembrance of L'Wren. I was also recalling my mild surprise that she wasn't along as she was just months ago.

Not insinuating she wasn't along because of any "problems".Just that something had changed. And it had. And it made me sad. All true statements that apparently sent you off on your tangent.

Apology accepted.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:57

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time’s waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death’s dateless night,
And weep afresh love’s long since cancell’d woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanish’d sight:
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o’er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor’d and sorrows end.

Date: March 19, 2014 07:15

treaclefingers

was to have gone out of business tomorrow...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:25

hbwriter
treaclefingers

was to have gone out of business tomorrow...

That was obviously preying on her mind, a public humiliation for her. All kinds of business go bankrupt all the time, but I guess when you're with such a successful partner, there is a lot of extra pressure you might feel.

Who knows really. Just so sad though.

Date: March 19, 2014 07:36

it really is- and this good friend makes it sound like those around her were concerned - this just gets sadder the more you read.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:52

Thank you for posting this interesting and poignant piece. It gave me some insight into the character and personality of this woman I knew so little about. It also seemingly discredits the rumor that she and Mick had broken up recently. And it was very surprising to learn she had planned to announce her company would be closing this week. As her friend pointed out, there was no reason to believe this event alone would be the trigger for her suicide, yet the timing certainly would suggest there could be a connection. Perhaps there was something else deeply troubling her that this particular friend was not aware of. A secret maybe she only shared with a very close friend, or with Mick. Or maybe something she purposely kept hidden from him. It left me with the feeling that despite her accomplishments and success, and her outward appearance of poise and confidence, she harbored some deep insecurities that may have left her feeling more vulnerable than she was able to handle when facing a situation she felt was beyond her control. Regardless,she certainly seemed to have a large circle of caring friends to help and support her. And we would hope Mick was emotionally and physically available for her the last few months when she appears to have been struggling with depression and stress stemming from her financial woes. I guess in the coming days and weeks there will be other friends and acquaintances who will comment and write articles such as this one, and shed some more light on her accomplished life and untimely death. But I have a feeling we, and perhaps even Mick, will never fully understand the reason why she chose to end her life as she did.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 18:11 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: MockJigger ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:10

Thats an utterly amazing article.
I wonder if Mick knew the business he has been so involved in setting up, fund, and helping to run was about to fold tomorrow when he stopped out on that beach yesterday.
Utterly amazing that her friend Cathy didn't spare L'Wren the embarrassment and really quickly decided to spill all that stuff, when it could have remained hidden...forever. Business ABOUT to fold.

Does Mick know the fashion critic of the NY times, do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 08:11 by MockJigger.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:13

Saw a "news" item re: L'Wrens housekeeper speaking out for the first time since the tragedy occurred.

I'm not going to post it, or get into the details it contained, and cause more unrest on this site since Mon.

I just wanted to express my thoughts regarding the media & posters in this situation after reading said article.

I hope this tragedy does not snowball in backlash towards Jagger & have to daily read/hear rumors on IORR.org, and have this board turned into pages of gossip.

This site is a great resource of information for any level of Stones fan.

All the arguments & bickering back and forth reflects poorly on us all.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:26

I read that "news" item, too. She hadn't even been employed by L'Wren for years, but sadly at times like this, people will always come out of the woodwork to claim their connection to a celebrity.

Date: March 19, 2014 08:31

MockJigger
Thats an utterly amazing article.
I wonder if Mick knew the business he has been so involved in setting up, fund, and helping to run was about to fold tomorrow when he stopped out on that beach yesterday.
Utterly amazing that her friend Cathy didn't spare L'Wren the embarrassment and really quickly decided to spill all that stuff, when it could have remained hidden...forever. Business ABOUT to fold.

Does Mick know the fashion critic of the NY times, do you think?

According to another article I read Mick did not fund her fashion business. She was said to be very strong-willed and independent, and wanted to be successful on her own terms. She did not want Mick and others in the fashion world to think it was just an expensive hobby or a business write-off for him. So either she hid from Mick the fact that the business was losing money and was on the verge of collapse, or she refused to accept his offers to bail it out until it was to late. Maybe Mick thought she should close it up and she resented his lack of faith in her abilities and this hurt their relationship? At this point nobody seems to really know the answer.

PS I don't know if Mick was a friend of the author of this article (the former fashion editor for the NY Times) but he met her through L'Wren.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 17:26 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:36

Aquamarine
I read that "news" item, too. She hadn't even been employed by L'Wren for years, but sadly at times like this, people will always come out of the woodwork to claim their connection to a celebrity.

It's crazy Aquamarine, but your right on the money bout that.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: MockJigger ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:44

According to another article I read Mick did not fund her fashion business. She was very stubborn and independent and wanted to be successful on her own terms. She did not want Mick and others in the fashion world to think it was just an expensive hobby or a business write-off for him. So either she hid from Mick the fact that the business was losing money and was on the verge of collapse, or she refused to accept his offers to bail it out until it was to late. Maybe Mick thought she should close it up and she resented his lack of faith in her abilities and this hurt their relationship? Who knows what really happened?

Quite the inverse, he provided funding to ramp the business up, he funded and styled and stage managed all her fashion shows, and infact, as soon as he wasn't around to do this from November 2013 onwards, they stopped. Dead. She didn't even bother going to them, turning up, they were all cancelled.
He pulled the plug. The funding plug and the emotional plug.

Look, I've just read an article online blaming Keith ( and the whole stones camp) for her not being on tour, I'm not going to link it here.
Somethings gotta stick, right? But it sure ain't Mick. The machine is working overtime.
Right?

She wasn't doing shows,they were cancelled months ago... so why wasn't she by her 'lover and best friends' side?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 08:46 by MockJigger.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:57

MisterDDDD
rob51

Not sure to whom you are addressing,but if it's me,I am not "trying to begin" anything.I was relaying my personal observations and remembrance of L'Wren. I was also recalling my mild surprise that she wasn't along as she was just months ago.

Not insinuating she wasn't along because of any "problems".Just that something had changed. And it had. And it made me sad. All true statements that apparently sent you off on your tangent.

Apology accepted.

If she suffered from serious depression no wonder something had changed in her behavior. It doesn't mean she and Mick had any special problems in their relationship. Or that anything is Mick's fault.

Date: March 19, 2014 09:02

@MockJigger The bottom line is, we don't really know at this point how much Mick was involved in her business...financially or otherwise. Perhaps some of this info will eventually become public after they sort through her business records. But even so, my guess is Mick will take whatever steps he can to keep all the details of his relationship with L'Wren private.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 09:07 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:14

A simple fact is that going on tour with the Rolling Stones means putting your life on hold for several months. Once you sign up there is no going back and loved ones having problems have to be more or less set aside to get by without you.... that must be part of the anguish for Mick... he put the band before everything else just oncee too many times at the age of 70 ... Tragic.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:31

MockJigger

According to another article I read Mick did not fund her fashion business. She was very stubborn and independent and wanted to be successful on her own terms. She did not want Mick and others in the fashion world to think it was just an expensive hobby or a business write-off for him. So either she hid from Mick the fact that the business was losing money and was on the verge of collapse, or she refused to accept his offers to bail it out until it was to late. Maybe Mick thought she should close it up and she resented his lack of faith in her abilities and this hurt their relationship? Who knows what really happened?

Quite the inverse, he provided funding to ramp the business up, he funded and styled and stage managed all her fashion shows, and infact, as soon as he wasn't around to do this from November 2013 onwards, they stopped. Dead. She didn't even bother going to them, turning up, they were all cancelled.
He pulled the plug. The funding plug and the emotional plug.

Look, I've just read an article online blaming Keith ( and the whole stones camp) for her not being on tour, I'm not going to link it here.
Somethings gotta stick, right? But it sure ain't Mick. The machine is working overtime.
Right?

She wasn't doing shows,they were cancelled months ago... so why wasn't she by her 'lover and best friends' side?

People are pretty naive if they don't think being in the fashion industry requires major funding; just staging a fashion show in a major city costs a fortune.

I read some articles also that stated that she was not accepted by Mick's family or the Stones camp, Keith being particularly unkind.

Also read that she had been trying desperately to have a child, with no luck.

Awful the way people are coming out of the woodwork, eg, her maid from years back and her sister whom she hadn't spoken to in six years.

I would say this sums it up

>>He pulled the plug. The funding plug and the emotional plug.

Date: March 19, 2014 09:57

EDIT: I give up. Pollute this board with gossip and speculations from rags - as much as you like. I'm outta here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 14:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:23

minorbyrd
May be inappropriate on this forum, but just want to say that if there's anyone out there who's feeling bad & needs help to please talk to a doctor, friend, relative, helpline - Whatever's available in your area. It may help. I'm no counsellor or do-gooder, but it's been a sad day for IORR members

not inappropriate at all. fact of life we all need help sometime. many don't seek it so we end up with threads like this. sad smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:26

Loudei
I don't understand why a man with 300 plus millions can't help out his woman with a couple of bucks.

People should stop spending more than they are making man.

Talented yes, Business woman - NOT.

RIP L Wren

that crossed my mind or at least have a good business mgr. help her out. eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home