Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
IORR home page update - feedback please
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:28

The world wide web is celebrating 25 years of age to the date yesterday Wednesday March 12. But yesterday I was too busy to post this! That was the very date - March 12, 1989 - when Tim Berners-Lee submitted his proposal on how to improve the information flow at CERN.

As I have based both my business and a lot of my life around Internet, I think it is appropriate to celebrate one of the great innovations in modern times. The web - or Internet as we know it - (Internet was there ages before the web invention) has changed a lot for many people. Mostly to the better. Then to my actual subject...

=====

The IORR home page has been unchanged for 18 years I think. More or less unchanged since 1996. I was always on tour, or if I did have time to change the background colour (it is awful, right), then there were campaigns demanding the original design back.

So let us keep the background may be, but how about changing some of the links. What do you want to see being changed? I did change some links a couple of weeks ago, when I had a spare moment in time, and was discovering stone age links, but may be a few more cosmetical link changes?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

======

For those of you who care about the Internet history and future:

Information Management: A Proposal
Tim Berners-Lee, CERN
March 1989, May 1990
[www.w3.org]

World Wide Web turns 25 years old
[au.news.yahoo.com]

Concerns for the future as World Wide Web turns 25
[www.chinapost.com.tw]

Bjornulf

Re: IORR home page update - feedback please
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:31

Great job Bjornulf! Thank You very much for this lovely site! Hats off!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:35

Great post, gotta love the web, life changing for me for sure, business wise too! First time I saw it was in the computer room of an engineering school in April 1994 I believe and guess what I had in hand...IP addresses of Stones related sites! Can't even remember where I got them in the first place...one of them was the Undercover list I believe. They also showed me "Virtual Student" the Google of its time but I wasn't very impressed, it was so slow...got my first 14.4k modem in September 1995 and the rest as they say is history ;-)

Anyway, back to your question about suggestions...I think it's fine really, the only thing I'd suggest is to take visitors directly to the News page [www.iorr.org] as it gets updated regularly while the current landing page has a lot of info on old tours that might confuse people.

Thanks for the great site, magazine, forums, talking in the cold, etc...keep it up!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 13:41 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 13, 2014 13:36

I'm not a very conservative person, but when it comes to IORR's design I am!

I love IORR, in all its refreshing subtlety design-wise. It's functional, and all the info paths are not disturbing. Keep it!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:45

Please keep it as it is.

Easy and simple to use.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:46

BV,

you do not need to change.

Thank you for the great work.

See you in Lisbon!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:49

Talking about updates. This links section is placed on top of all the editorial IORR pages:

It is one common block of shared links, and it is easy to change. I will look into my web analytics to see what links are being used, but if you have suggestions for other important links then please let me know. Thanks!

PS. As you can see, my browser history is telling me there are four links i.e. four pages as linked up here which I don't visit often. Blue link = page not visited lately. Lilac link = recently visited page (page read, not link used)...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 13:52 by bv.

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:03

Hi bv,

Maybe it would be more convenient using the forum if I could click on the small red "new" sign and it would navigate me to the first unread post in the thread. If it is possible at all.

Otherwise everything is fine, we don't need flash intro (except the Continental Drift), of course the main page is outdated a bit designwise, but I used to it, I don't like changes.

Keep up the good work and thank you for the site, enjoy the shows!
Dom

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:08

Maybe the StonesVault thread in the Hot Stuff section could become sticky? That would be really great!

Posted by: erad ()

A mobile site would be grreat!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()

odean73
Please keep it as it is.

Easy and simple to use.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:27

maradona
Maybe the StonesVault thread in the Hot Stuff section could become sticky? That would be really great!

thumbs up ...........other than that the only other thing I can think of is: please delete/replace the homepage photo of Bono & Mick for a Mick and anybody else photo......grinning smiley

This site is refreshingly straight forward when so many others are not. It's great as it is, thanks.

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:33

The lay-out of IORR might look simple and not fancy. But please, keep it like it is! I like the simple and functional style - and the site proves that it is the content and the contributions that make up an excellent website rather than some nice graphics, sophisticated programming languages etc.

It's just an excellent job you are doing, thanks!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:35

I like it the way it is. Easy to navigate and read.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:36

Hi Bv!

I ocne spoke with a Stones fan and told hima bout IORR. His reply was "oh it's site with the messy front page nobody understand a thing about!".

Maybe you could rethink the frontpage of the site for a start...

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:58

First of all: thanks a lot for a wonderful fan site! We are all extremely grateful that you provide us this. And for all your work on it.
The page I visit mostly is Tell Me. It hasn’t changed anything for ages and I don’t see any reason to change it now either. Keep it as it is. It’s simple and great!
If you look at the start page there are some irrelevant links. I guess album info about Live Licks, ABB and Exile re-issue still is there because you and all of us getting blind to flaws. It’s a waiste to just throw away, can you move to an archive?

Just a quick idea (and not very well out-thought):
Main menus:
News – Tell Me – Tour 2014 – Previous Shows/Reviews - All Sold Out – Hot Stuff - Archive
These main menus can appear on all pages.
Under “previous shows/reviews” you can put away all previous tours in under links for respective tour (or use anchors)
Probably there is need for more headlines but that I can’t come up with now. But some material can be “hidden” in som kind of archive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 20:55 by Thommie.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:01

It's a great site indeed! Thankx a lot!

Please keep it as it is. It's easy and simple to use. No gimmix and special effects. Form folows function. Maybe a little change here and there but that's not neccessary.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:40

nothing to change
and kudos to You, bv
m.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:41

DandelionPowderman
I'm not a very conservative person, but when it comes to IORR's design I am!

I love IORR, in all its refreshing subtlety design-wise. It's functional, and all the info paths are not disturbing. Keep it!

Agreed. I like it because it's the same as it was when it started.

But who is this Berners-Lee dude, I thought Al Gore invented the internet?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:41

Far better then any other Stones site. No need to change at all.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:44

Very nice idea bv to ask us for suggestions!

The background colour might be awful but because it hasn't changed in 18 years it's very recognisable and that's essential... So don't change the colour. I would suggest you can make some other arrangements to the homepage in such a way you don't need to scroll on the homepage.
I see half of the pic now and that means when I scroll I see another seven links and I think it would be better when you see everything in just one frame without having to scroll.
Also; I would never change much to the (architecture & navigation) structure of the site...people are used to it and they like what's easy for them because they are used to it... Especially the Tell Me part of which we could say is probably the heart of the site; be very careful about changes in that department cause it could scare people away from the site.
Some functionalities like Domonkos suggests could be very nice as long as it (function) doesn't fight with form; communication before technology...don't just do something because it's technically possible is always my advice; think about the consequences in communication. smiling smiley

Good luck man!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:47

I love this site, it's the one I visit most. The only thing I would change is maybe the layout and color of the homepage. Maybe a little modernization like artsy graphics and pictures or gifs. But not if it takes to long to load or causes band with issues. In case I never said it thanks to BV for making this a great place.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:48

It is generally great and easy to use, but I would certainly get rid of the 'A Bigger Bang - The New Album' link.

Also the 'Live Licks' link is not needed on the home page anymore...

It would be great to have something updated that does a really nice job of listing and providing details for their tours and albums, going back before 1994.

Thanks though for this great website, it's been a big part of my life now for many years!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:59

bv
or if I did have time to change the background colour (it is awful, right),

I'd say it's fine, it reminds me of the Cosmological background radiation map,

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:02

Hi BV,

Great page - I love the simplicity, it doesn't require heavy duty bandwith. You can see it whereever you are also on a cell-phone.

To my taste - keep it as it is. Please do not include lots of pop-ups, multimedia already activated etc.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:14

I WOULD NOT CHANGE TOO MUCH!
This is a great forum, with an atmosphere many of us are by now very much used to...

But, maybe there are ways to avoid the tsunami of unnecessary space taken by posts like "LOL!"and "YES!" "O?", including quotes of other posts. If posts are not quoted, it is often unclear which answer belongs to which question.

I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. add something like a "Like" button as we know from Facebook.
2. Disable the "Quote this message" option and replace it by a pedigree/taxonomy structure of posts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 17:22 by shattered1978.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:21

I would change nothing. We are all engaged in music, not as much in pictures ...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:28

yeah, its good as it is. Delete the a bigger bang album stuff, and its great
Thanks for all your work
Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:41

corriecas
yeah, its good as it is. Delete the a bigger bang album stuff, and its great
Thanks for all your work
Jeroen

and loose the Live Licks, Voodoo Lounge stuff also. Its not of any imprtance really on the front page. imho.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:55

I like the simplicity and functionality of the page.
I would leave everything where it is.
However, a nicer typeface, background and framing for the photos
will help give the page a well deserve refresh without creating any confusion.

The Stones have transcended generations. I think that IORR should consider also the younger fans with a more contemporary look, but same functionality.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home