Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: IORR home page update - feedback please
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 15, 2014 23:49

Lorenz
schwonek
Lorenz
Ok, so I think IORR is probably the nr. 1 Stones source out there and here are my suggestions to make sure it stays that way

1) Responsive design, scalable for mobile devices (I recommend HTML5 use mostly)
2) Get a designer to overhaul the general design, logos, fonts, navigation etc.
3) Get social media integration e.g. Facebook, Twitter login & sharing
4) Consider crowd funding to get investment needed. You can easily do it as an e.g. Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign and I am sure everyone here would be happy to contribute $20.

Hm. I have to say: I love this website and I hope it stays exactly the way it is. Simple, easy, raw, cool. Don't change. At least not until all the Stones have quit.
No twitter, FB... No new fonts, no HTML5...

Come on, you don't even know what HTML5 is, do you?

Truth is I like the concept but I never use it. OK - there are a few nice new elements. But I love easy css. And I like that IORR doesn't use flash or data heavy stuff btw.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 16, 2014 00:00

when iorr moves to facebook/twitter im gone.. pls keep it as it is smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 16, 2014 00:02

schwonek
Lorenz
schwonek
Lorenz
Ok, so I think IORR is probably the nr. 1 Stones source out there and here are my suggestions to make sure it stays that way

1) Responsive design, scalable for mobile devices (I recommend HTML5 use mostly)
2) Get a designer to overhaul the general design, logos, fonts, navigation etc.
3) Get social media integration e.g. Facebook, Twitter login & sharing
4) Consider crowd funding to get investment needed. You can easily do it as an e.g. Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign and I am sure everyone here would be happy to contribute $20.

Hm. I have to say: I love this website and I hope it stays exactly the way it is. Simple, easy, raw, cool. Don't change. At least not until all the Stones have quit.
No twitter, FB... No new fonts, no HTML5...

Come on, you don't even know what HTML5 is, do you?

Truth is I like the concept but I never use it. OK - there are a few nice new elements. But I love easy css. And I like that IORR doesn't use flash or data heavy stuff btw.

No one uses flash anymore. People here are very ignorant to change, it's almost comical to read the responses. I never want to become so old to be scared by some design changes on a website. I never want to become so old to become scared of changes at all, in fact.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 16, 2014 05:51

I like it the way it is but I'm sure if BV wants to make any changes, he will do a fine job.

I see no point in bringing all the social media "stuff."

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 16, 2014 06:28

I will read all the comments on this thread later on, but I have top say this:

- I am a big fan of open standards
- There will NEVER be an IORR app (they are not open)
- I will make IORR Tell Me more mobile friendly when I do get time
- There will never be stuff like flash on IORR
- Page load time IORR worldwide is 2-3 seconds and will always be like that
- There will never be ads on IORR

The purpose of this thread is to get feedback about the site which regular web analytics would not be able catch up with. Thinks that are in your mind only. Please let the great feedback coming. I will do the "easy to do" changes when I get time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 16, 2014 06:48

bv
I will read all the comments on this thread later on, but I have top say this:

- I am a big fan of open standards
- There will NEVER be an IORR app (they are not open)
- I will make IORR Tell Me more mobile friendly when I do get time
- There will never be stuff like flash on IORR
- Page load time IORR worldwide is 2-3 seconds and will always be like that
- There will never be ads on IORR

The purpose of this thread is to get feedback about the site which regular web analytics would not be able catch up with. Thinks that are in your mind only. Please let the great feedback coming. I will do the "easy to do" changes when I get time.

I don't use IORR on a mobile phone (yet), but I think this is something that will be very useful when more concerts will be added soon.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 18, 2014 10:33

StrawberriesBlueberries
owlbynite
I find the site user-friendly as is. Simple things please! winking smiley Only problem I've encountered ever is accessing existing threads when I know I have the correct topic words & author, searches always return with 'no match.' Thanks for asking, cheers!cool smiley

Not related to the home page, but: I also would wish for an improvement or addition of the search function. I'm aware, one can chose between the options "last 30 days", "last 90 days", "last year" and "all dates". But sometimes I'm looking for an old post within a certain time frame, let's say from some time between May 2012 and November 2012, related to Stones preparations for 50&Counting. Depending on the key words you remember, the results for "all dates" (which is the only possible option in this case to find something from this time) may be many and spread over several pages, starting with the newest. It would be very helpful, if one could also search for posts within a self defined time frame to reduce the search results to the relevant ones, so you don't have to click through maybe 50 pages of newer posts until you get, what you want.

Regarding the home page: I like the Stones related creative link names and wouldn't add an explanation there. The short explanations of the content on top of the pages after clicking on a link - as exist - are sufficient in my opinion. One learns, what's behind a title relatively quickly.

As has been suggested, I also would remove "A Bigger Bang - The new album" and "Live Licks" as well as some other old topics to the archive. The background color could be changed, as well as the design, which struck me as a bit uninteresting and uninspired, when I first saw it about two years ago. But keep it simple in general. Does the website have a logo? If so, why not place it at the top?

The links below the picture escaped my notice at first, so maybe place important ones with Stones related topics to the left and right of the picture and above only and leave the room below for infos about the website in general. Or, maybe better, don't put anything except the "Get the IORR magazine - subscribe right now!" links below the photo at all. Also I don't recognize a system in the way the links are spread around the picture, which seem to be placed mostly randomly (not thematically organized). Personally I find that confusing.

This leads me to another point, which is is also about system. I really recommend to optically (colour, font, position on page, ...) separate your creative, associative link names for stable content like "Connection", "Tell Me", "Hot Stuff", "All Sold Out", "Out of Time", ... from links to real Stones products like "Voodoo Lounge" or "Live Licks". So one can easily distinguish, which link names are related to the actual song, album and so on, and which are 'just' your play on words for something else. You see, one can imagine some interesting things going on in the "Voodoo Lounge", but it's in fact the Voodoo Tour this is about. Same for "Live Licks", which could be mistaken for a special forum section about Stones concerts or live albums in general, but actually refers to the existing album. And I would separate these stable links from the ones to just current, temporary topics like "Exile reissue Plundered My Soul" or "Abu Dhabi Tour start".

Anyway, many thanks for offering this great forum to Stones fans and spending so much time on this!
smileys with beer

Date: March 18, 2014 10:38

angee
The Search function, just to note, does allow for time limitations for the past 30 days, 90 days, one year, and all dates, in the last box at the bottom, under Advanced search.

It took me a while, but lately I have been able to locate things. Don't give up, Aquamarine. It's all about finding the right combination of words, and/or having the exact right spelling and punctuation of the username.

I've found that on discussion boards, the searches are notoriously difficult to use, I mean, if you want to find something specific. cool smiley

Have had no luck at all on discussion board searches with exact titles, authors & date ranges. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 18, 2014 10:43

Rokyfan
varv
No changes needed. As we say in my neck of the woods,"if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Yes . . . don't do any of that other stuff; sounds fancy but totally unneeded.

as the old saying goes, KISS....keep it simple stupid! I support that! cool smiley

Date: March 18, 2014 12:55

MononoM
when iorr moves to facebook/twitter im gone.. pls keep it as it is smiling smiley

Facebook and Twitter are closed and proprietary. I would never move IORR there. IORR will always be an open site without ads or loss of privacy.

Bjornulf

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 18, 2014 14:52

love the simplicity of the site...no major chages necessary.

I like the idea of being able to click to the first "new" message in a thread you've already been reading, but I've inquired about that before, so im wondering if it isnt feqsible.

Also, if the "quote" function could some how be limited so the nested quotes dont start to take up a whole page, that woud be great. Maybe just the most recent post would be inlculded in the "quote" as thats the one usually beng quoted on, anyway.

reagrdless bv, keep up the good work. This is my go to site for everything Stones related. When I heard the L'Wren Scott news yesterday...i didnt go to a news site to get the updates...i came here. And, im sure i was not the only one to follow that course!

Date: March 18, 2014 15:16

IORR has been very busy today, and I have been working hard to give accurate information, and to avoid speculations and false information.

Bjornulf

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: March 18, 2014 15:30

BV, did you consider to make the StonesVault thread in the Hot Stuff section sticky? I would be really glad about that!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 18, 2014 16:06

bv
MononoM

Facebook and Twitter are closed and proprietary. I would never move IORR there. IORR will always be an open site without ads or loss of privacy.

Thank you!!! I'd rather pay, then to have ads.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: March 18, 2014 17:05

Thanks for your tireless work over the year bv.

I love the look and simplicity of the site. Having said that, improving mobile access would be great.

Cheers from NYC!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 20, 2014 00:26

Yes, I would love to be able to access on mobile devises without giving credit card details!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 21, 2015 14:21

Bumping this subject, since as of April 21, websites that are not 'responsive' or mobile friendly will start dropping in their Google ranking.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: April 21, 2015 15:24

Thank you B.V, for this lovely stones website. Youre doing a great job and please keep it as it issmiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:22

I knew someone would respond with 'please leave it as it is'.

Making a website 'mobile friendly' will not change the website at all the way it looks on larger screens. It will just make sure that it is much better readable on smaller screens. And more and more people are accessing the web on smaller screens.

And yes, a big thanks to bv for maintaining this website.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home