Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: IORR home page update - feedback please
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 13, 2014 17:25

In general I agree that it is great as it is.

Would love it if it turned back to be ipad compatible (meaning I still can't see youtube videos posted to IORR when visiting with my pad).

A function that could be helpful (at least for me) would be to have the possibility to "merge" two or more forums in one. Since I am lazy, I hardly ever move away from the tell me section.

C

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 13, 2014 17:44

One or two ideas:

WE know what's hidden under the titles Connection, Tell Me, All Sold Out and so on, but a newcomer doesn't. Keep the names but add a description, links, forum or whatever.

Go through the links in connection and clear out the dead ones. There are a LOT.

please don't mess about with the structure of Tell Me. I would especially hate a nested posts structure and no quote facility.

Maybe a simpler home page with one link to a new TOURSs page with all that stuff on it?

But the main thing to say is that we do appreciate the simple uncluttered format of this board. Please don't make it Complicated!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 13, 2014 17:53

erad
A mobile site would be grreat!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 13, 2014 18:22

people post on here just for the sake of posting. They say nothing of interest but post one post after another. Put a limit on it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 13, 2014 18:43

DandelionPowderman
I'm not a very conservative person, but when it comes to IORR's design I am!

I love IORR, in all its refreshing subtlety design-wise. It's functional, and all the info paths are not disturbing. Keep it!

thumbs up

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 13, 2014 19:43

Bjornulf,
Thanks for asking. I don't have a problem with the home page, although it did take me a while to figure out what the main categories meant. I like Green Lady's idea of descriptive phrases.

The only thing I wish for, and this could be because I'm missing something, not understanding is, could there be a link for "Message List" at the bottom of each page of posting within a topic? Otherwise we have to go back to the top to get to the list of all threads. I know that may involve going much deeper into your system than a change in the home page, and may take much time to do.

Then again, I could just hit the back button, but when you are behind by a few pages or more, that can become confusing and take up time.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 22:23 by angee.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 13, 2014 19:47

Simple and accurate.
That is all I ask for...

Sure, a color update or a layout tweek or two would help to update the front page but no major overhaul is necessary.

Since the magazine is promoted on the front page of the website, I humbly ask this:
Will there be any more printed magazines?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 13, 2014 19:57

liddas
In general I agree that it is great as it is.

Would love it if it turned back to be ipad compatible (meaning I still can't see youtube videos posted to IORR when visiting with my pad).

I think this is an iPad issue, which individual forums can't fix.

I agree with Green Lady, please don't get rid of the "quote message" function! That would make life MORE difficult.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 13, 2014 20:05

BV, let me know if I can be of help. My company designs, develops and markets websites...

[www.hatfieldmedia.com]

Would love to help in any way possible!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 13, 2014 20:27

Don't change a thing.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 13, 2014 21:50

The IORR home page has been unchanged for 18 years I think. More or less unchanged since 1996. I was always on tour, or if I did have time to change the background colour (it is awful, right), then there were campaigns demanding the original design back.

That's great thanks BV for effort you did on IORR.......... as for the "background colour" or color yes this needs to be upgraded grinning smiley maybe a stonsy or concrete background................

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 13, 2014 22:24

angee
Bjornulf,
Thanks for asking. I don't have a problem with the home page, although it did take me a while to figure out what the main categories meant.

The only thing I wish for, and this could be because I'm missing something, not understanding is, could there be a link for "Message List" at the bottom of each page of posting within a topic? Otherwise we have to go back to the top to get to the list of all threads. I know that may involve going much deeper into your system than a change in the home page, and may take much time to do.

There is a message list at the bottom, Angee. If you are logged on you see it at the top of the box for posting, if you are not logged on, it's in the smaller list box. Look for the bolded Goto, and you'll find the link "Message List."

As to the main categories, it took me just a short while to figure them out too, but I vote they stay the same. I think they are quite clever, BV! I really have no complaints at all about the home page, I love its simplicity and slightly out-of-step look. It suits The Rolling Stones perfectly. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: March 13, 2014 23:00

bv
Talking about updates. This links section is placed on top of all the editorial IORR pages:

It is one common block of shared links, and it is easy to change. I will look into my web analytics to see what links are being used, but if you have suggestions for other important links then please let me know. Thanks!

PS. As you can see, my browser history is telling me there are four links i.e. four pages as linked up here which I don't visit often. Blue link = page not visited lately. Lilac link = recently visited page (page read, not link used)...

Minor changes please, Bjornulf.
But I think it's a good idea to use a block like that on every page to be able to navigate a little faster between links, instead of moving back to the homepage first

I would suggest you go into your statistics and see which links are used most. Put them on the left side of the block.

Let it rock!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 13, 2014 23:25

Keep it as it is!!
When its the BEST let it rest. haha..

Thank You.

Date: March 13, 2014 23:41

I like the front page too. Not that wild about the blue color LOL.
But what about a direct link that involves youtube? A place where all send their Stones video clips to, and there is a link on front page?

Another thing is that there are so many threads on Tell Me that are just loaded with superb, often rare pics; magazine covers that a collector went through lots of trouble to collect, then scan, and then put out on a thread.
But what often happens is that Photobucket e.g will shut them down; or there are other reasons why the pics get deleted. Is there any way to store them all in one place where they are safe?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2014 00:05

I like the content and ease of navigation generally, so no issues with that. I don't think you need to create a 'mobile' version of this. I have a smart phone and can post very easy on IORR.

I believe the request is just for the home page, and here's my suggestion:

Group all the links in one part of the page, ie left justified.

Each of these links goes to a sub page, that represents that area, and could potentially have additional links.

LATEST NEWS! would maybe be the first link, so anyone going to the home page can click on that...that's why they may be going there in the first place.

For example, the link TOURS! could go to the tours page, and have links to each individual tour page.

THE BAND! could go to a page with links to MJ, KR, BJ, CW, BW, MT, RW and even the extended band if you had the content.

And so on with other major groupings, ie ALBUMS!, or SONGS!, or TELL ME!

SHOW REVIEWS! should be a link to a list of the show reviews. You could have the latest show review as the first thing you see on that SHOW REVIEWS page.

I think then links to other sites which you like or suggest, and finally a link to your own BV BIO!.

So beyond the links, which is a hopefully simple bit of programming, I think the look should be kept clean and I like the descriptive of what the site is all about, how long it's been in existence etc. I also like your revolving the photos...if your wanting additional work (I'm sure you don't) you may consider doing a piece like "This Day In Stones History...." and revolve an interesting tidbit each day.

ie, "Did you know on this day in 1965 Keith was electrocuted on stage?"

Anyway, if you don't do anything no big deal, just a way to reorganize the front page so the content's easy to drill down to.

Thanks for asking!

Date: March 14, 2014 00:36

(Related to the original paragraph of the first post in the topic):

On the celebration of Berners-Lee and the www, if anyone is interested, the Pew studies of the Internet are among the very best surveys of trends about what people are doing there, and differences in use of various tools and platforms of past and future generations. Here is a report of theirs that's mainly speculative, on the future in 2025, in commemoration of the event:

[www.pewinternet.org]

If you're ever interested in truth vs. fiction on questions such as are young people leaving FB, Pew Internet is the place to check.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 14, 2014 00:42

I like it because it´s functional and simple. Especially "Tell me" is clear and easy to follow.

But the design of the front page is not quite my style/taste!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 01:59 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 14, 2014 00:45

Very easy to navigate BV. Thank you for all you continue to do and the fantastic photos from the current tour. I bet you can't wait for the European leg, should be incredible!!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 14, 2014 00:53

I echo all the thanks to bv for his great work in running the best Stones fan forum and I also echo the main sentiments so far - i.e., if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:34

lettingitbleed
erad
A mobile site would be grreat!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Agreed!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:02

I assume you figured it out, but when I made the first ever version of the IORR home page, still the same concept, I wanted all links to be STONES RELATED. Typical song titles. So it had to be Connection, Hot Stuff and so on. And Tell Me. I do know people find that hard in the modern world. Still if you are a Stones fan I thought you would figure out sooner or later. And then it just stayed that way. I have never really had time to look into alternatives during all these years. Also, I did not want this boring "About us", "Home", "Forum" etc.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:23

The proof is in the success of the site and forums. We also got pretty lucky with the return of the band to the stage. Perhaps instead of light blue we could have a IORR official logo in the background....

Date: March 14, 2014 04:25

Ah, perhaps this is not the best time to give feedback...

Chancing it anyway, we are not saying change the titles, with their built-in relevance and originality,
a few of us are suggesting simply adding a *brief* explanation. I could say more, with examples.

It depends if you want to make it easier for newcomers or not. If not, okay too.

Perhaps a little more gratitude is in order, so many thanks for all you do for
and with this site.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 04:30 by angee.

Date: March 14, 2014 04:28

...going to sleep...
words not coming out right. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 04:39 by angee.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:47

Perhaps using the same titles in a more familiar "toolbar" fashion?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 14, 2014 06:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:13 by camper88.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 14, 2014 06:50

I love it just the way it is and PLEASE keep the photo of Mick & Ronnie on the home page for awhile! What a great shot!!! The light, the clarity, so PERFECT!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 14, 2014 08:23

I find the site user-friendly as is. Simple things please! winking smiley Only problem I've encountered ever is accessing existing threads when I know I have the correct topic words & author, searches always return with 'no match.' Thanks for asking, cheers!cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 08:26 by owlbynite.

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: March 14, 2014 11:53

no need to change anything.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home