Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: "Gus & Me" picture book by Keith and Theodora
Date: September 4, 2014 15:56

Loose
Keith is the source of the story but not the writer of the story, so he is not therefore properly speaking the author.
I just think it is important to make this distinction, if for no other reason than out of fairness to those who do actually sit down and do the graft of writing their own story. OK, if they are not very skilled writers than it is edited, parts rewritten, suggestions made but that does not alter the fact that they are there actually doing the work and all credit to them for that. A pity Keith doesn't do that and do a bit more of the work for the money and the praise!

Keith tells the story, and other people edit and write it. That makes him an author of the story, but not the writer. I think this is the most correct description of it.

After all, author means "the person who originated or gave existence to anything".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2014 16:45

DandelionPowderman
Loose
Keith is the source of the story but not the writer of the story, so he is not therefore properly speaking the author.
I just think it is important to make this distinction, if for no other reason than out of fairness to those who do actually sit down and do the graft of writing their own story. OK, if they are not very skilled writers than it is edited, parts rewritten, suggestions made but that does not alter the fact that they are there actually doing the work and all credit to them for that. A pity Keith doesn't do that and do a bit more of the work for the money and the praise!

Keith tells the story, and other people edit and write it. That makes him an author of the story, but not the writer. I think this is the most correct description of it.

After all, author means "the person who originated or gave existence to anything".

I think I may have a solution...all of these 'Keithisms' are his anecdotes.

Keith therefore, is the anecdoter and the typer is the writer.

It's good to be here...hell, it's good to be anywhere.

Date: September 4, 2014 16:49

Together they are the unbeatable Anecwrauthors.

Date: September 4, 2014 16:58

DandelionPowderman
Together they are the unbeatable Anecwrauthors.

Some might call them the Anecwrauthor Twins.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 4, 2014 17:28

author:

noun

a writer of a book, article, or report.

verb

be the author of (a book or piece of writing).
be the originator of; create.

So, by this definition, Keith is the verb author and the verb is always more important than the noun. cool smiley

I give Keith credit for knowing that he needs a writer to organize his thoughts and ideas into a coherent document. There are plenty of boring autobigraphies out there that would have been much better if a good ghost writer had been employed. There's nothing more authentic about them either, you can just as easily make up facts when you write it yourself as when you are telling it to someone else.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 4, 2014 17:43

"Gus & Me" is a 32 page children's picture book. How much organization of Keith's thoughts might that have required?

Date: September 4, 2014 17:51

People interview is back up on Keith's Facebook.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 4, 2014 17:53

bye bye johnny
"Gus & Me" is a 32 page children's picture book. How much organization of Keith's thoughts might that have required?

Heck BBJohnny, I know some people who couldn't organize their way out of a paper bag. Not saying Keith's one of them, but 32 pages could be a stretch for him. grinning smiley

Date: September 4, 2014 17:55

latebloomer
author:

noun

a writer of a book, article, or report.

verb

be the author of (a book or piece of writing).
be the originator of; create.

So, by this definition, Keith is the verb author and the verb is always more important than the noun. cool smiley

I give Keith credit for knowing that he needs a writer to organize his thoughts and ideas into a coherent document. There are plenty of boring autobigraphies out there that would have been much better if a good ghost writer had been employed. There's nothing more authentic about them either, you can just as easily make up facts when you write it yourself as when you are telling it to someone else.

I agree with you here latebloomer.

You might even say Keith is incredibly verbose.

Date: September 4, 2014 17:59

latebloomer
bye bye johnny

Heck BBJohnny, I know some people who couldn't organize their way out of a paper bag. Not saying Keith's one of them, but 32 pages could be a stretch for him. grinning smiley

Could be, but suspect this project didn't need a ghostwriter.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 4, 2014 18:06

bye bye johnny
People interview is back up on Keith's Facebook.

[www.facebook.com]

Fascinating to see the next generation being promoted there (Orson, Keith's grandson via Marlon).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 4, 2014 21:27

Less books, more open G!!

Date: September 4, 2014 22:09

KRiffhard
Less books, more open G!!

why does it have to be either/or...why can't we have both?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 5, 2014 00:02

Why don't each of you have a photo taken showing you reading Keith's book and send them to him c/o Jane Rose?

He likely would be very pleased...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2014 01:24

stonesrule
have a photo taken showing you reading Keith's book and send them to him

Very nice idea

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Keith to publish picture book for children
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 5, 2014 07:47

latebloomer
THEODORA: "You know, 10 years ago my dad would never have watched a musical. He'd make such fun of them. You'd think that somebody who is so into music would love musicals, but he'd be like, `That guy's asking for directions and the other person just bursts into song?'"

I just don't believe Keith could be that opinionated. Just don't believe it. Cachinnation time. Just dooon't believe it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 5, 2014 09:42

Title5Take1
latebloomer
THEODORA: "You know, 10 years ago my dad would never have watched a musical. He'd make such fun of them. You'd think that somebody who is so into music would love musicals, but he'd be like, `That guy's asking for directions and the other person just bursts into song?'"

I just don't believe Keith could be that opinionated. Just don't believe it. Cachinnation time. Just dooon't believe it.

It was almost word for word my response to musicals, then and now, sooo . . . (Ditto opera, and it's not that I don't enjoy either genre, it's just that there's something inherently funny about the form, is all. grinning smiley )

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 5, 2014 11:12

Aquamarine
Title5Take1
latebloomer

It was almost word for word my response to musicals, then and now, sooo . . . (Ditto opera, and it's not that I don't enjoy either genre, it's just that there's something inherently funny about the form, is all. grinning smiley )

Mine too!

Date: September 5, 2014 14:08

Beast
Aquamarine
Title5Take1
latebloomer

Mine too!

It weren't me that the Theo quote comes from, it was BB Johnny who posted the article. But, yeah, the whole burst into song thing has stumped me a few times, but you gotta get past it to enjoy the story and the songs. I love all those old Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, but I could do without the Disney stuff on Broadway now. Recycled animated films to make a buck.

Date: September 5, 2014 14:21

latebloomer
It weren't me that the Theo quote comes from, it was BB Johnny who posted the article.

It were. Quote's from the Harper's Bazaar interview. ;-)

Date: September 5, 2014 14:41

bye bye johnny
latebloomer
It weren't me that the Theo quote comes from, it was BB Johnny who posted the article.

It were. Quote's from the Harper's Bazaar interview. ;-)

Hey, you're right! Note to self: never post before coffee. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2014 14:45

Beast
Aquamarine
Title5Take1

THEODORA:but he'd be like, `That guy's asking for directions and the other person just bursts into song?'"

I just don't believe Keith could be that opinionated.

It was almost word for word my response to musicals,

Mine too!

Well, then both of you are also opinionated, just like me smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 14:47 by Rolling Hansie.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 5, 2014 17:02

Just ordered a couple more copies from Walmart. They have a $7.20 w/ free shipping pre-sale going on now.

[www.walmart.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:08

What is really ludicrous about big musicals isn't only the whole cast bursting into song when the guy asks for directions - it's that moment, ten to fifteen minutes later, when the vast all-singing all-dancing production number finally grinds to a halt and everybody goes "er - where were we? Oh yeah, it's down that alley and second on the right.."

I've usually been muttering "just GET ON WITH THE BLOODY PLOT" for some time by then.

Date: September 5, 2014 22:45

Win a Copy of Keith and Theodora Richards’ ‘Gus & Me’ and a Guitar Signed by Keith

September 5, 2014

Keith Richards, along with his artist daughter Theodora, are all set to release their picture book ‘Gus & Me,’ an intimate peek inside the Rolling Stones guitarist’s childhood. And we’ve teamed up with Diffuser.fm and Little, Brown Books for Young Readers to give one lucky winner a copy of the book and a guitar signed by Keith!

When he was a boy, Keith was introduced to music by his grandfather, Theodore Augustus Dupree, whom he called Gus. The book chronicles Keith’s journey through music over the years, as well as the bond he shared with his grandpa. It also features photos from the Richards family and an audio CD with special content.

In addition to the hardcover copy of ‘Gus & Me,’ the prize package also includes a Cordoba C9 acoustic guitar signed by Keith. And it’s pretty awesome. Who knows? Maybe you and a family member can bond over it the way Richards did with his grandfather all those years ago.

For your chance to win the book and a signed Keith Richards guitar, follow the instructions in the widget here. Sharing your entry via Twitter will give you more chances to win. The contest ends on Monday, Oct. 13, at 11:59PM EST. Be sure to read our official contest rules, and good luck!

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: September 6, 2014 02:54

Green Lady
What is really ludicrous about big musicals isn't only the whole cast bursting into song when the guy asks for directions - it's that moment, ten to fifteen minutes later, when the vast all-singing all-dancing production number finally grinds to a halt and everybody goes "er - where were we? Oh yeah, it's down that alley and second on the right.."

I've usually been muttering "just GET ON WITH THE BLOODY PLOT" for some time by then.

cranky much GL?

Date: September 6, 2014 03:30

treaclefingers
Green Lady

cranky much GL?

Of course not...our dear Green Lady is just wonderfully British. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2014 11:21

Win a Copy of Keith and Theodora Richards’ ‘Gus & Me’ and a Guitar Signed by Keith

....God it all looks too hard ... what happened ta drawin' a ticket from a hat ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 6, 2014 17:27

I can't think of anything more endearing than Rockman turning the perpetual music low to cuddle up in his favorite chair to read "Gus and Me."

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 6, 2014 18:49

Title5Take1
latebloomer

Kind of like this:

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home