Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Keith to publish picture book for children
Posted by: z ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:16

It's not the same with LCD screens, is it triceratops...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:19

winos
That was the Warwick Hotel in Denver '72 tour.

Is there anything hardcore fans do not know? Thanks vinos!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:58

It's like everybody is living in a timewarp as far as Keith is concerned, ignoring that 30+ years have passed since the days they're thinking of. All my friends thought the notion of this book was funny, too, and I honestly didn't get why, at first.

Date: March 13, 2014 23:50

I guess it's his business to put release what he wants; but why would I want to buy it?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 14, 2014 07:52

The Joker
Not "good old times", but there must be a balance to stay tuned

nice pics! think that bottle he's holding in #4 will tide him over for a nite? who's the blonde in #3 with her legs spread up her business? (doesn't quite look like Anita to me.) winking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 14, 2014 08:02

Not a good pic of her, but it is Anita.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 14, 2014 08:12

Aquamarine
Not a good pic of her, but it is Anita.

thanks. when looking at different pics of her w/Brian or Keith, always get a feeling with those far-away eyes there's someplace she'd rather be. winking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 14, 2014 08:41

Very probably he has just written it for his five grandchildren, and the generations to follow. People don't seem to have noticed, but Keith has changed. He never sounds like he is drinking in recent interviews, and in some I have seen lately, he isn't smoking either. He answers questions more seriously as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 11:57 by Bliss.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 14, 2014 12:42

He seems to be smoking less on stage too - or have I just missed the clips ?

Date: March 14, 2014 12:56

EJM

He has a couple of brief (a few puffs) smoking breaks during a gig.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 14, 2014 14:38

DandelionPowderman
EJM

He has a couple of brief (a few puffs) smoking breaks during a gig.

For example, in the Shanghai video for Sympathy, around about the point where Anastasia screams in vain.

Talk about an image being a ball and chain! The Keith who could relate to children and write a good kids' story has always been there. Around the time some of those hell-raisin' pictures were taken, he was also reading Tintin picture books to Marlon, and making up the plots because he didn't speak French. Mick isn't the only one who is an interesting bunch of guys.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 14, 2014 16:17

Bliss
Very probably he has just written it for his five grandchildren, and the generations to follow. People don't seem to have noticed, but Keith has changed. He never sounds like he is drinking in recent interviews, and in some I have seen lately, he isn't smoking either. He answers questions more seriously as well.

And anyway it's not as if it's just some random kids book that he's written that has nothing to do with music. I'm sure he'd put his characteristic spin on it anyway - 'hey, I'm just passing it on man'.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 14, 2014 16:40

The Independent newspaper's homepage link to an article on the book had the funniest variation of a familiar quote we all know. It showed a particularly dodgy-looking picture of Keith with the caption "Would you let this man read a story to your grandchild?" LOL...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 14, 2014 15:55

Family Values: Keith and Theodora Richards
Rolling Stone Keith Richards and his daughter Theodora have joined forces to create a new children's book, 'Gus & Me: The Story of My Granddad and My First Guitar.' Here, they weigh in on their collaboration.

By Stephen Mooallem
on Aug 14, 2014

KEITH RICHARDS: My granddad Gus was a musician. He was the one who turned me on to music. He had some daughters too, so he was al-ways looking for guys to hang with. [Laughs] But this book didn't come from me. It was put forward as an idea that some other guys had come up with about certain chapters in Life [Richards's 2010 memoir]. They said, "These would make a great kids' book." So I said, "Yeah." I was about to become a grandfather for the fifth time, and I had a daughter who likes to do illustrations, and I felt I could keep it in the family, and I did also want to bring Gus to life again.

Theo has always been a little illustrator, and she did a lot of research. She also wanted to know more about her great-grandfather. She would call me up frantically some nights saying, "What hat did Grandpa wear?" and "Where the hell is Primrose Hill?" So it sent her on a little journey.

I suppose there's a reflective part of it—although my life and career hasn't really lent itself to much reflection. But, you know, I've done my gig, and you get to live to the end of the string as far as I've got, and certain other things take on more importance than they did when you were younger. The parenting is real hands-on stuff, but as a grandparent you are greatly removed—and once the kids start to realize that you're actually their daddy's daddy, you sort of rise in their estimation. [Laughs] But grandkids and grandparents can be connected in a special way. Gus kicked me into music, and I found out what I loved to do. He let me hold the guitar and showed me the notes to "Malagueña." So I thought this story was something to pass on, maybe turn a few kids on—and a few grandpas on.

Now I search for talent in my grandkids—and some of them have got some. They probably listen to what most kids listen to because I don't influence them in any way. Maybe only through their parents because their parents still play some good soul music and some blues. They play that to keep them grounded. But I am not there to judge musical tastes or anything. I just observe.

"Gus kicked me into music. … So I thought this story was something to pass on, maybe turn a few kids on—and a few grandpas on."

THEODORA RICHARDS: I've always been a daddy's girl. I'm also named after my great-grandfather—Theodore Augustus Dupree. That's why it was so wonderful that my dad asked me to do this book. I literally stayed inside for months doing drawings of London and Dad's face and his grandpa's shoes and the dogs and armchairs and cakes and the landscape. In the beginning, my drawings were really, really dark. I drew a woman with a baby in her arms and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. They were like, "Darling, this is a children's book. We can't have that." Also, the English smog where you couldn't see two feet in front of you—I had to fluff up 1940s England a bit. It was a challenge, but I loved it, and I loved that it all was coming from my head and Dad's words.

I love seeing Dad now with his five grandkids. You know, 10 years ago my dad would never have watched a musical. He'd make such fun of them. You'd think that somebody who is so into music would love musicals, but he'd be like, "That guy's asking for directions and the other person just bursts into song?" But now he'll watch Frozen and all the Disney stuff with his grandchildren.

It wasn't like that when I was a kid. The way I was brought up, it was classical music in the morning, reggae in the afternoon, and rock 'n' roll all night. It was the Everly Brothers, Anita O'Day, Louis Prima. When I started to fall in love with Justin Timberlake, my dad definitely let me know that he had a stink about it. He was like, "It sounds so tinny." It wasn't his style. So I would either lower it or I wouldn't listen to it around him. Then, of course, I was a teenager, so I'd stand up for myself and I'd be like, "You've got to get with the times, Dad." [Laughs] But I think he's simmered down now to the grandfatherly ways of being like, "Oh, I'm going to see what the kids are interested in …" Poke his head in.

It just makes me smile because my dad has become the ultimate grandfather, sitting there with a pipe—although, it's not a pipe, it's a cigarette.

[www.harpersbazaar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 15:56 by latebloomer.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:09

Cool article, thanks Latebloomer!

My copies are suppose to arrive on Sept. 9th.

Date: August 14, 2014 16:15

Very cool, Ming. Here's a picture that popped up on my Facebook page. I'm not sure where and when it was taken, but I'll include the caption:

Keith with his daughter, Theodora, doing some interviews about the new book “Gus and Me”.

Keith Richards has collaborated with his artist daughter, Theodora, on a children's picture book titled Gus and Me: "The Story of My Granddad and My First Guitar, which will hit bookshelves September 9th,2014" . The inspiration for the book came from a story in Richards' 2010 memoir Life, in which Keith's jazz-band member grandfather, Theodore Augustus Dupree (the "Gus" in the title), turned him on to music. Theodora, Gus's namesake, illustrated the story. The book also includes photos from the Richards family collection.

Keith's New Book only $9 at bn.com
Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: September 3, 2014 20:54

Gus and Me, the Story of My Grandad is only $9 pre-order at Barnes & Noble. It's a hardcover and comes with a CD narration of the book by actor James Langdon.

Re: Keith's New Book only $9 at bn.com
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:02

Even less at Walmart, according to Keith's twitter: [twitter.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:05

with sssoul
Even less at Walmart, according to Keith's twitter: [twitter.com]

And confirmed at this walmart link:
[www.walmart.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:17

Wow, Thanks for the heads up. I cancelled my order at Barnes & Noble and got it for $7.20 at walmart.com. Free shipping too!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:56

we must have p*ssed off Keith here in Canada...it's over $14 on Amazon.ca

Re: "Gus & Me" picture book by Keith and Theodora
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 3, 2014 22:57

What question do you have for Keith about #gusandme? Reply with your question for a special #gusandme session of #askkeith, filming soon.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:55

People Senior Editor Michelle Tan caught up with Keith Richards (@officialkeef) and his daughter Theodora about their upcoming children's book, "Gus & Me," out Sept. 9.

[instagram.com]
_____

Keith's Facebook had posted an interview from People earlier, but it's since been taken down. Said it's in the current issue with Angelina Jolie on the cover.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: September 4, 2014 13:26

What I don't like about all of this is that Keith doesn't actually write any of it. It is all ghost written and here he is being acclaimed as an "author".

I find it all very depressing. The Rolling Stones... if there is one word that summed them up for me it is "irreverance" Funnily enough it is Mick who has retained something of that.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 4, 2014 13:34

71Tele
Hopefully he won't be advising the kiddies on how to show the blade and shoot out the lights in buildings.
nice to read that you are carrying on the fine tradition of T&A /StonesTodd in making me laugh !!!

Date: September 4, 2014 14:05

Loose
What I don't like about all of this is that Keith doesn't actually write any of it. It is all ghost written and here he is being acclaimed as an "author".

I find it all very depressing. The Rolling Stones... if there is one word that summed them up for me it is "irreverance" Funnily enough it is Mick who has retained something of that.

Loosen up a bit Loose, it's his story so he is the author, even if he didn't actually put the words on the paper. And irreverence is not the same as irrelevant, which is what I think you mean. Actually, Keith is still quite irreverent, which I find refreshing. grinning smiley

The book sounds fun, I'm going to see if I can get the librarian where I work to order for the kiddos.

Date: September 4, 2014 14:28

No, latebloomer, i do not mean irrelevant at all. The Stones were not irrelevant! But they were irreverent.

Date: September 4, 2014 14:42

Loose
No, latebloomer, i do not mean irrelevant at all. The Stones were not irrelevant! But they were irreverent.

Okay Loose, I got ya. I bet we'll see some of that irreverence peeking through the book somewhere. winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2014 15:03

Without Keith there wouldn't be a story - hence he is the author.

Date: September 4, 2014 15:43

Keith is the source of the story but not the writer of the story, so he is not therefore properly speaking the author.
I just think it is important to make this distinction, if for no other reason than out of fairness to those who do actually sit down and do the graft of writing their own story. OK, if they are not very skilled writers than it is edited, parts rewritten, suggestions made but that does not alter the fact that they are there actually doing the work and all credit to them for that. A pity Keith doesn't do that and do a bit more of the work for the money and the praise!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home