Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: "Gus & Me" picture book by Keith and Theodora
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 7, 2014 23:38

My Twitter feed is currently entirely full of retweets of people telling @officialKeef they're buying his book. Back away from that keyboard, @officialKeef!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:40

Q&A: Richards on new book, Stones tour, solo music
By MESFIN FEKADU
— Sep. 8, 2014 4:01 PM EDT

AP: Are you going to tour more dates?
Richards: They've got South America lined up in February, Buenos Aires, Peru.
And after that, I know what the Stones tours are like, they tend to get extended.
AP: So could the band potentially tour most of 2015?
Richards: It sounds like that.

>KEITH

NEW YORK (AP) — There's one person who knew Keith Richards would become Keith Richards: his grandfather.

The Rolling Stone member said Augustus Theodore Dupree introduced him to the guitar and taught him about music as a child growing up in England.

"I think in a way he sort of had plans for me I wasn't aware of," Richards said. "He turned me on to the guitar and he did it in a subtle way."

The rock icon details his relationship with his grandfather in "Gus & Me," his children's book out Tuesday.

"He was a saxophone player. He got gassed in the First World War and he couldn't blow anymore, so he went to fiddle. He was playing way into his 60s — so am I," 70-year-old Richards said, laughing.

Richards has four children and five grandchildren. His daughter Theodora Dupree Richards — named after Gus — worked on the illustration for the book.

In a recent interview at Germano Studios — where he recorded his upcoming solo album — Richards talked about writing books, new music, touring with the Stones in 2015 and social media.

____

AP: Why did you decide to write this book?

Richards: My publishers first came up with this idea. They said, "There's certain chapters about your grandfather that could make a great children's book." Children's book? This is not my line (laughs). ... And just about that same time my eldest daughter ... she said, "Guess what?" And I know that look in a woman's eyes. "Don't tell me you're pregnant, which means fifth grandchild." ... I thought, "Hey, there's something to be said for this" and I've always wanted to give my ole grandfather Gus, bless him, a little more memorial than he's had.

AP: Your 2010 memoir, "Life," was a commercial and critical success. Was there any pressure to match it with "Gus & Me"?

Richards: The initial idea did come from the publishers, so you know, "Maybe Keith can sell a few more books." That's their business after all. Nine times out of 10 I would have said forget about it. I'm not going there. But because of the circumstances and having another grandchild, everything was sort of falling into place. I said, "Damn it. Go for it."

AP: Do you want to write more books?

Richards: I don't know. There's been plenty of talk about doing volume two (to "Life" ) because a lot of stuff got left out. I may save that for a little later. ... I had no intention of doing "Life," but they kept bugging me, "C'mon, you've got to tell the story. Here's a lot of money." OK, twist my arm. And I found out I could articulate things pretty well (and) tell a good story.

AP: The Stones are heading to Australia in October. Are you excited?

Richards: The first thing is the jetlag. I figured it out, I'm going to go via Fiji, where I'm going to chop down the tree that I fell out of the last time I was there (he got a concussion in 2006 after the fall) and spend a few days getting rid of the jetlag, and then I can pop down to Australia. Because the jetlag is the hardest thing around trips like that. Everybody's waking up and tripping over each other and falling asleep in rehearsals.

AP: Are you going to tour more dates?

Richards: They've got South America lined up in February, Buenos Aires, Peru. And after that, I know what the Stones tours are like, they tend to get extended.

AP: So could the band potentially tour most of 2015?

Richards: It sounds like that.

AP: Are you working on music?

Richards: I have a solo record finished, but I don't want to put it out while the Stones are working, so I'm thinking next June.

AP: What was the process like?

Richards: We had no rush. I think we spent a couple of years. (Producer) Steve (Jordan) and I are always working somewhere else, but every month or two we'd come down here and do a couple a day and knock off a couple of tracks. ... Nearly every record I've made is ... 'You've got another five days,' but this one we're taking our time.

AP: How's recording music today different compared to years ago?

Richards: Technology — it's changed enormously. ...I find that some of the technology is very confusing, especially the digital stuff.

AP: Speaking of technology, are you a fan of social media?

Richards: I stay well away. I have no computer at all. I have a little tablet that I knock around with. No passwords. I mean, I don't want to be hacked to death.

AP: Have you heard about the recent leaking of photos of nude celebrities?

Richards: The more I hear about it the more I'm sure I'm right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-09 00:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 9, 2014 11:17

What a truly magical interview that was with Keith on BBC Radio 4 this morning, talking about times with his grandfather and about being a grandfather himself. If you can access iPlayer, don't miss it!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

They also said that, after the interview, Theo had said what a strict dad he was, especially about boyfriends, with no lipstick allowed either until they were 16!
Watch out for the blade winking smiley

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-09 12:53 by Beast.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 9, 2014 11:37

That was a lovely interview with Keith. Thanks for posting Beast. smileys with beer

So it's straight from Keiths' mouth that South America is on for starting February.

Was hoping it would be early March ,but just have to change my plans for Jan and Feb, cos I can't expect The Stones to fit in with mine. winking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 9, 2014 21:18

Great interview

[www.today.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:04

My copy of the book just arrived! smiling smiley Along with my totally-unrelated new toaster. cool smiley

"Theodore Augustus Dupree
lived with seven daughters near the Seven Sisters Road,
in a house that was filled with instruments and cake."

Aww.

Keith reads it really well on the CD, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-09 23:26 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:41

It is so cute! Reading it on the bus just went to Foyles in Charing Cross Road and could not resist! Absolutely love the family pictures, can see a strong resemblance with Guscool smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2014 00:26

Great interview Beast very touching....growing up is that bad afterall.............

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 10, 2014 01:19

Keith was on the TODAY show this morning around 8:30 and Matt Lauer did the interview. I like Matt's style...he got Keith to play " Malaguena", and he played it without hesitation...a cute little ditty. Very short interview though...he's on the TONIGHT show at 11:35 so we'll see if Jimmy Fallon gets a longer interview.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 10, 2014 13:41

NICOS
Great interview Beast very touching....growing up is that bad afterall.............

Many thanks, Beast - I usually listen to Today but I never knew he was on and I missed it. Great interview.

And the book has arrived. Keith does a lovely job of reading the story, and Theo's illustrations are very nice - but having seen the one tiny sample at the back of the book, I'd love to see Keith's pictures. He really brings the scene in the instrument workshop to life.

Oh, and by the way:

[audioboo.fm]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:59

Keith and Replacements last night =

BEST TONIGHT SHOW EVER!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 11, 2014 02:40

I've got to show this Today Show interview to my wife (who is a children's librarian). She was skeptical about the book when I mentioned it to her. Perhaps now she'll order a couple of copies for her library.

This is a great follow up to his autobiography, and I hope he does more.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:39

In the new Rolling Stone Magazine:

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:56

Title5Take1
In the new Rolling Stone Magazine:

Thanks for posting, T5T1.

Very clever, but why am I not surprised that Jann Wenner has to get his own name in there? Such an egotist, almost ruins it for me.

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: September 13, 2014 01:44

This book arrived today for me and I'm looking forward to reading it with my 7 yr old daughter tomorrow. I'm currently teaching her how to play guitar. Written by Keith with love and as a grandfather. Great stuff thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 13, 2014 05:15

Enter for a Chance to Win a Signed Copy of Keith Richards's Children's Book Gus & Me

Prize Description:

A signed copy of Keith Richards's children's book, "Gus & Me."

Sweepstakes starts September 12, 2014 17:00
Sweepstakes ends September 19, 2014 16:59

[parade.condenast.com]

I just entered, but I think this link only works if you have a Facebook account. There's probably another way to enter.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 13, 2014 15:15

Cute story and drawings. Going to listen to the disc, in a little bit.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 13, 2014 16:55

Lovely little book...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 13, 2014 22:43

Today's print Los Angeles Times has a nice interview with Keith and Theodora. The internet version of the "same" article is much shorter, so I'm not even going to bother to link it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 22, 2014 01:31

I like it. It is really nice and cute.
Edit: Best part for me is the CD with Keith reading the story.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-22 01:32 by Rolling Hansie.

GUS & ME
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: October 9, 2014 15:47

Yesterday i received Gus & me. A great deception, really. Me, having been , as Keith, so attached to my own Grandfather, expected really good stories about Gus and Keith, etc., their lives together, a good insight of Keith childhood so influenced by Gus, etc. Something more about Gus. We don´t even know if he lived long or not. A whole story.
Man, i read it in 2 minutes!!! Even if its a book for kids, its really not worth it.
A great lost oportunity for having a good little book....

Re: GUS & ME
Date: October 9, 2014 15:53

Re: GUS & ME
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 9, 2014 16:04

you do know that most books for little kids are about 2 minutes long.

You don't want to be reading a 30 minute bedtime story...it gets old quickly!

Keith and Theodora in Harpers Bazaar
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:44

Re: Keith and Theodora in Harpers Bazaar
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:51

From last September. Funny, I was just watching a recording of their Fallon Show appearance to promote the book

Date: August 14, 2015 21:09

I'm confused, the article says August 14th 2015. Is this a reprint?

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:13

with sssoul
From last September. Funny, I was just watching a recording of their Fallon Show appearance to promote the book

i was in the audience for that

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:23

Koen

It was first published on August 14th last year. Latebloomer posted it on this page: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:29

Koen

the article says august 14th, 2014.

Date: August 14, 2015 21:52

Doh, you are correct.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home