Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chuck Leavell - Surely It's Time For Him To Be Given Full Band Member Status
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:18

GasLightStreet
He'll never be a Rolling Stone.

That's it. It's just the 4 and will remain the 4.

Mick, Keith, Charlie and.........Mick Taylor?

Re: Chuck Leavell - Surely It's Time For Him To Be Given Full Band Member Status
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:43

Rokyfan
whitem8
The Rolling Stones are an English band and will always remain so. No American, or other nationality will or should become a Rolling Stone.
you're point is if he was english he would be made a member. wrong. Nationality has nothing to do with it ZERO. Money. They pay him a salary, no reason for them and their families into the future need to share profits with the Leavalls for eternity. Geez. What the @#$%& are you talking about no other nationality should become a Rolling Stone. NOBODY IS BECOMING A ROLLING STONE how @#$%& hard is that to understand.

At the time when Ronnie joined the band, I remember Keith saying that one of the deciding factors was that he was English, and that when you came right down to it, the Stones are an English band.

Not that I imagine Chuck joining the band, even if he was born in Dartford.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 22:00

of course keith said that, I remember that, that's where these people are getting it from. It's like the thing about having taylor back in the band will enable them to more accurately reproduce their recordings

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 5, 2014 22:15

Surely this thread is a wind up. And judging by the response I'd say a pretty successful one..

Date: March 5, 2014 23:40

<Not that I imagine Chuck joining the band, even if he was born in Dartford.>

grinning smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 00:30

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2014 00:44

mighty stork
GasLightStreet

Taylor isn't a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:24

GasLightStreet
mighty stork
GasLightStreet

Oh yes he is.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:53

MKjan
GasLightStreet
mighty stork
GasLightStreet

Oh yes he is.

Agreed. Keith said he was in 2012 when asked if Taylor would be invited to rehearsals.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 6, 2014 04:13

stewedandkeefed
MKjan
GasLightStreet
mighty stork
GasLightStreet

Oh yes he is.

Agreed. Keith said he was in 2012 when asked if Taylor would be invited to rehearsals.

Charlie said in a recent interview that at this late stage of their carreer it doesn't make any sense to make Taylor a full time member anymore.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 6, 2014 04:32

What Charlie meant was that if they made him a "full time member" they would have to let him play on more than 3 numbers.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 05:12

Once a Stone always a stone.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 6, 2014 06:10

thecitadel
If Chuck was rubbish, didn't add to the sound, and wasn't appreciated by Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie he wouldn't have played with them (and be credited as musical director) for the last 24 years.

I do wish people would lay off Chuck - not only a very nice man (the two times I briefly spoke to him, and a couple of brief email exchanges) but clearly a musician who is highly respected and valued by the band that this forum is about.

Not sure he, or anyone else, should be a "full member" of the Band - whatever that means apart from money.

Once again...does being nice make him sound better?

No. The musical criticisms of Chuck with the Stones are entirely valid, in my opinion, nice guy or not. And his defenders have rarely defended him on musical grounds.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: March 6, 2014 06:17

yup--it's SO obvious the band has gone to hell since he first came aboard to play the keys---SMH

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 6, 2014 06:25

In order to be a full member of the Rolling Stones you would have to be starving with them at Edith Grove back in the early 60's. Sort of inventing the band... After that it is really "light" membership, remember Ronnie never starved, but he earned it. Same with Mick Taylor, but he quit.

Bjornulf

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 07:14

Black Hat the rabble rouser.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 6, 2014 07:27

Oh my..
I've been away from here for a while on rock 'n' roll biz and come back to this the dumbest, most ill informed topic of all time. Blackhat is begging for attention, it's better he vents here than at a shopping mall or snipers tower I suppose.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 6, 2014 08:32

bv
In order to be a full member of the Rolling Stones you would have to be starving with them at Edith Grove back in the early 60's. Sort of inventing the band... After that it is really "light" membership, remember Ronnie never starved, but he earned it. Same with Mick Taylor, but he quit.

I don't think he should be a full member but in that case, you can argue that Chuck has earned it. He's been with them for over 30 years. That's twice as long as Ronnie had to wait before he became a full member.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 6, 2014 09:14

DandelionPowderman
The 1969-73, 82, 89-2014-Bobby, who also guested in 75, 78 and 81 + played on numerous albums. Did the immortal BS and CYHMK-solos!

Surely, if anyone should be considered getting the offical Stone-status, it's gotta be him, imo.

Won't ever happen, of course.

Him and Darryl is pure Side-mens....Chuck is just a hired...Christ not even Ian Stewart were given a full member status...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: March 6, 2014 10:20

Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart deserved a Rolling Stone status. Chuck Leavell no.

For instance, when listening carefully to Midnight Ramblers and check his notes, numerous notes, tacky notes... I feel like screaming.

Unfortunately, he seems to have gained a musical leadership. I guess he is serious, reliable and courteous. No doubt a professional. Sadly undermining the unique sound of the RS, its rawness, its RnR essence.

Promoter of the Las Vegas sound?

Date: March 6, 2014 10:29

Stu was a Stone, but Andrew took it all away from him...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 10:58

The Rolling Stones are/were :

Mick Jaígger
Keith Richards
Brian Jones
Bill Wyman
Charlie Watts
Ian Stewart
Mick Taylor
Ron Wood

Chuck Leavell is in the Nicky Hopkins-Bobby Keys-Lisa Fisher-Darryl Jones-Billy Preston etc. VERY IMPORTANT status.
But he'll never be a Rolling Stone like Stu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 11:05 by 1962.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 11:01

Chuck Leavall assists the Rolling Stones ( Mick,Keith,Charlie & Ronnie )with the musical direction that their concerts should flow.
He is an assistant the same way as Lisa,Bernard,Bobby and Daryl are and their contribution is fully appreciated by the Stones.
They are employed and paid by the Stones to add their musical talents to Rolling Stones concerts.
Mick Taylor was once a Stone and left and he is guesting with them at present.

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 11:22

To me, and it's only my opinion, the Stones are Mick, Keith, Brian, Charlie, Bill, Mick T, Ronnie, Bobby and Darryl.

I know there's Lisa, Bernard, Chuck etc & I agree they're now integral to the live stuff but the 9 above are my Stones.

Bobby Keys is a Rolling Stone to me. 100%. (& I'm not just biased because of recent events!!) cool smiley

Mick Taylor is 100% still a Rolling Stone to me. Always will be.

Date: March 6, 2014 11:51

Chuck.....full member status..

full member status?

Mnnnn.....winking smiley

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: March 6, 2014 12:20

You saying that they have fake hair? Is this fact or speculation?

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: March 6, 2014 12:29

I would say that you needed to be part of the integral band when they were a recording band. They have released new 3 albums in 20 years, they are now mainly a live band so all the additional musicians are mainly there to supplement the live sound.

Apart from the original 5, Mick Taylor was in the band for the "classic" album phase and Ronnie Wood has been there since 1975 (39 years). No one else is a Stone only a supplementary musician.

Just like the Who have really only been a touring entity for years, you would only say Daltry and Townsend were the Who, no matter how many other musicians regularly played on stage with them or appeared on an infrequent recording session.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 6, 2014 13:15

It's cool that it's quite likely someone out there chose Chuck as their favorite member of the band, and for someone else it's Daryl and so on.
Apparently Blondie Chaplin was Keith Richards' favorite member of the band cause how else would one explain it? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 6, 2014 13:18

drbryant
Black Hat the rabble rouser.

Rabble rouser? Or just a bit tongue in cheek?

Date: March 6, 2014 13:51

Wuudy
bv

I don't think he should be a full member but in that case, you can argue that Chuck has earned it. He's been with them for over 30 years. That's twice as long as Ronnie had to wait before he became a full member.

Bobby has earned it more, imo.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home