Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 84-Year-Old Drummer Looks Back On His Days With The Who
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 7, 2014 14:15

A largely untold early period of The Who's history is chronicled in "The Who Before The Who," a just-released eBook by Doug Sandom, the band's original drummer.

Sandom played in the group when it was known as the Detours, and in the book he writes about early tensions between frontman Roger Daltrey and guitarist Pete Townshend over the band's direction, which Sandom says fueled the energy of the group's live performances. He also writes about Daltrey as the group's workhorse who had to "drag" Townshend out of bed for shows.

Sandom, who`s now 84 and considerably older than his former bandmates, left the group in 1964 after a failed audition with Fontana Records, opening the door for Keith Moon.

But he remains on good terms, and Townshend even wrote the forward for "The Who Before The Who," though he notes in it that, "Had we continued together back in 1964 with Doug on drums we may never have become as successful as we are today...But I have no doubt that personally I would have been happier as a young man. Partly because I think we would have continued to put music and friendship first in our band because that was Doug's way."

A new Who documentary, "Sensation: The Story of Tommy," will be released on March 11.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 14:17 by tatters.

Re: OT: 84-Year-Old Drummer Looks Back On His Days With The Who
Date: March 7, 2014 14:19

Date: March 7, 2014 14:21

Date: March 7, 2014 14:22

Doug has something important he wants to say to you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 17:20 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home