Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Tokyo-2 Mar 4 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2014 12:05

Thanks Toru A for your great posts here!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: March 5, 2014 13:10

The band is far better when Mick Taylor joins the RS on stage... Silver Train, just a great demonstration.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 5, 2014 13:11

That is SOME You Got Me Rocking! OK, so it isn't the most original rocker in the catalogue, but they do enjoy it live, and on a good night those guitars howl and snarl like nobody's business.

Date: March 5, 2014 13:13

Powerage
The band is far better when Mick Taylor joins the RS on stage... Silver Train, just a great demonstration.

Listen to the complete show...

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: March 5, 2014 14:49

DandelionPowderman
Thanks, Honestman! thumbs up Listening to the show right now:

Even YGMR is rocking here, it sounds like a great show!

- Ha ha! This time it was the HTW-intro Keith flubbed. Brilliant! grinning smiley

I haven't listened back yet, but if I remember correctly it was not Keith's fault. Mick was not ready so Keith stopped a second or two in, holds a second and then when Mick was ready started again..

Date: March 5, 2014 15:20

Peterh
DandelionPowderman
Thanks, Honestman! thumbs up Listening to the show right now:

Even YGMR is rocking here, it sounds like a great show!

- Ha ha! This time it was the HTW-intro Keith flubbed. Brilliant! grinning smiley

I haven't listened back yet, but if I remember correctly it was not Keith's fault. Mick was not ready so Keith stopped a second or two in, holds a second and then when Mick was ready started again..

Could be, but Keith started the intro, and when the cowbell kicked in, he stopped it immediately. Then Charlie started, and Keith came in again, like he never missed a beat. It was funny, "organic" and cool thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2014 15:53

Powerage

At least they sound, musically speaking, more interesting. Taylor brings with himself a sort of novelty factor there, which interestingly shakes their typical routines. Sometimes it feels like it the rest sound like frozen, and like following 'what the guy does next and how he manages' (like we on the audience), sometimes almost like inspired. Those who are fond of the way the band have sound from 1989 on, and think that's the way The Stones should sound like, might see that a kind of bad thing, but I think Taylor simply gives them pure musicality in the of cost of their show-oriented routines. To me Taylor somehow represents the nature of the band as it used be long time ago, when they weren't so big, safe and sure entertainers as they now are. Taylor, funnily, is so pure musician, and lived his career outside the big live show business, as it developed during the decades after his departure from the spotlight. So he gives us a glimpse of the old 'purity', and to an extent I think that affects on the rest of them. Do they like that or not, I don't know. But I sense his presence being big there, every time he is onboard.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 15:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2014 16:29

what a great great song on this show, ST. really love it. Sure, you can Always complain.
But. i wont. No, great great Stonesy.

Love it

jeroen....

now waiting for the announcement for Ziggodome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 5, 2014 16:53

Doxa
Powerage

At least they sound, musically speaking, more interesting. Taylor brings with himself a sort of novelty factor there, which interestingly shakes their typical routines. Sometimes it feels like it the rest sound like frozen, and like following 'what the guy does next and how he manages' (like we on the audience), sometimes almost like inspired. Those who are fond of the way the band have sound from 1989 on, and think that's the way The Stones should sound like, might see that a kind of bad thing, but I think Taylor simply gives them pure musicality in the of cost of their show-oriented routines. To me Taylor somehow represents the nature of the band as it used be long time ago, when they weren't so big, safe and sure entertainers as they now are. Taylor, funnily, is so pure musician, and lived his career outside the big live show business, as it developed during the decades after his departure from the spotlight. So he gives us a glimpse of the old 'purity', and to an extent I think that affects on the rest of them. Do they like that or not, I don't know. But I sense his presence being big there, every time he is onboard.

- Doxa

Exactly, well put. And as far MJ's vocal, he really wasn't far away from doing a good job. Like others have said, just straighten up the "money/honey" parts, and he sounded fine.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:21

StonesCat
Doxa
Powerage

- Doxa

Exactly, well put. And as far MJ's vocal, he really wasn't far away from doing a good job. Like others have said, just straighten up the "money/honey" parts, and he sounded fine.

And do the "ding dong" line because it's priceless!

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:41

Another poor video :
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:42

Toru A

Bring your raincoat and poncho to the football game tonight.smiling smiley
Hard Silver Rain is falling around Tokyo.

Hahaha.

Fortunately, Silver Rain stopped just before the kickoff.thumbs up
All attendee must have felt Happy about it.
But game itself was not so good. I couldn't get no Satisfaction.

Anyway, tomorrow is going to be a fine and beautiful day !

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:46

Listening to that full audio recording on Youtube and wow, Mick just totally train wrecks Doom and Gloom. I mean, listen to that - he's talking his way through, it's like bad Karaoke...

Date: March 5, 2014 17:50

Lorenz
Listening to that full audio recording on Youtube and wow, Mick just totally train wrecks Doom and Gloom. I mean, listen to that - he's talking his way through, it's like bad Karaoke...

The same thing has happened a couple of times on the other shows. GS in Abu Dhabi comes to mind. It definitely sounds like he has trouble with the in-ear monitor, as he consistantly is singing out of tune...

2000LYFH in Glastonbury is another example, but back then he adjusted it after a verse or so.

Date: March 5, 2014 17:53

I've specifically noticed it with D&G in a number of recent shows actually. Mick decides to let Bernard and Lisa carry the melody and he kind of talks himself through the song, often missing cues. I applaud their persistence in playing the song live, but it just doesn't really work well, don't you think?

2000LYFH must've been the in-ear monitor, I agree, but for D&G it seems like a continuous issues to me.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:54

Lorenz

Nice to put a great song like Silver Train in the set. I hope they keep it an rehearse more. That songs SHOULD rock. But they sound tired playing/singing it. They should let Taylor loose all over it. Guitars are front and center in the mix, but clunky and somewhat restrained playing. The Black Crowes cover this better the Mick and the boys who wrote it.

Nice add to the setlist, but gotta drop the 'on fire' from the tour name. The band seems to have zero fire left.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:56

Same here, blasting the full concert YouTube recording and enjoying it a lot! I agree that D&G just didn't work last night, it happened in the past, probably not that bad though...what's odd is that it's worked very well too so I'd go with some kind of IEM problem too last night

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 5, 2014 17:57

Lorenz
I've specifically noticed it with D&G in a number of recent shows actually. Mick decides to let Bernard and Lisa carry the melody and he kind of talks himself through the song, often missing cues. I applaud their persistence in playing the song live, but it just doesn't really work well, don't you think?

2000LYFH must've been the in-ear monitor, I agree, but for D&G it seems like a continuous issues to me.

Yeah, I know what you mean, regarding D&G. It's a different thing - on the chorus, specifically, right? He's "resting" through the chorus - not holding the tones while relying on the backup-singers.

But in addition to that, he sings out of tune on this version of D&G grinning smiley

No, I agree, it sounds lazy. He also does something similar on IORR and TD from time to time. Skipping melody lines and talks through the lyrics with dubious timing.

That being said, Mick still delivers fantastically, imo thumbs up

Date: March 5, 2014 17:58

I don't know why you quoted me there and I certainly don't think they've "zero fire" left. I actually think some songs work better on this tour than they have in a long time. Silver Train is a mediocre song in my opinion and the intro is just prone to be a wreck live. I'm in a minority here, but Silver Train (the one time they played it now), Live With Me, Respectable always sounded shallow to me on recent tours - the only live version of Live With Me I actually enjoy is from Ya Ya's.

Date: March 5, 2014 18:02

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, I know what you mean, regarding D&G. It's a different thing - on the chorus, specifically, right? He's "resting" through the chorus - not holding the tones while relying on the backup-singers.

But in addition to that, he sings out of tune on this version of D&G grinning smiley

No, I agree, it sounds lazy. He also does something similar on IORR and TD from time to time. Skipping melody lines and talks through the lyrics with dubious timing.

That being said, Mick still delivers fantastically, imo thumbs up

Yeah, right, that's exactly what I mean. He did it on some 70-80ies shows, but then he had his growl and somehow a better feeling of for the timing? I didn't put any importance on balancing my statements now, overall I think they do play very well on this tour, especially considering their age and Keith's health. Ronnie is terrific.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2014 18:05

corriecas
what a great great song on this show, ST. really love it. Sure, you can Always complain.
But. i wont. No, great great Stonesy.

Love it

jeroen....

now waiting for the announcement for Ziggodome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@#$%& @#$%& @#$%& !!!
i really am angry and gonna open another bottle of wine.
Jeroen

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 18:06

They absolutely need three (3) guitars to cover Keith's inability at times to play . Moreover, MT adds so much to each song it is nonsensical to waste him on only a couple of songs. Let it lose guys!!!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 5, 2014 18:13

DandelionPowderman
Lorenz

The same thing has happened a couple of times on the other shows. GS in Abu Dhabi comes to mind. It definitely sounds like he has trouble with the in-ear monitor, as he consistantly is singing out of tune...

2000LYFH in Glastonbury is another example, but back then he adjusted it after a verse or so.

Not Mick's fault on this - he ran into problems because Lisa & Bernard (who carry the melody) dropped out of the mix. Mick obviously couldn't hear them and he ended up a bit lost. They were having trouble with the Lisa and Bernard's mikes throughout the night. You could see puzzled looks from time to time. The most obvious were on Doom & Gloom, and on Gimme Shelter, where Lisa's mike went out while she was on the ramp.

Gotta give Mick a pass on this. D&G was great on the first night.

Date: March 5, 2014 18:16

Brstonesfan
They absolutely need three (3) guitars to cover Keith's inability at times to play . Moreover, MT adds so much to each song it is nonsensical to waste him on only a couple of songs. Let it lose guys!!!

Keith does his job fine on Tokyo #2, a show I now have heard in its entirety thumbs up

Which "inabilities" did you have in mind regarding this show? A baffling statement coming right after his best show on the tour so far, imo...

Funnily, Keith plays beautifully on both Rambler and Slipping Away smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 5, 2014 18:20

DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

Keith does his job fine on Tokyo #2, a show I now have heard in its entirety thumbs up

Which "inabilities" did you have in mind regarding this show? A baffling statement coming right after his best show on the tour so far, imo...

Funnily, Keith plays beautifully on both Rambler and Slipping Away smiling smiley

How can you judge that all from such a crappy sound quality recording? Really amazing ears!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 18:23 by kleermaker.

Date: March 5, 2014 18:30

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

How can you judge that all from such a crappy sound quality recording? Really amazing ears!

It almost sounds like you're surprised? smiling smiley

Date: March 5, 2014 18:31

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

It almost sounds like you're surprised? smiling smiley

To be honest, I'm flabbergasted. grinning smiley

Date: March 5, 2014 18:32

grinning smiley

Date: March 5, 2014 18:49

Dandie, why do you think Taylor plays a solo on SA? I only hear two Keith solos. Or is something wrong with my ears? In that case, which one is Taylor's, the first or the second?

Date: March 5, 2014 19:07

Both are Keith.

On the AD-version, Taylor played some fills in between the solos. If he did that in Tokyo the fills weren't as audible as in AD...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home