Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best live version of "Under My Thumb"?
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:35

I'm partial to "Still Life"'s version but I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion.

Re: Best live version of "Under My Thumb"?
Date: March 3, 2014 18:37

Still Life, closely followed by Altamont.

But the studio version has that magic touch which the others lack, imo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:41

I don't care for the electrified versions. That plodding duh-duh-duh-duh-duh on guitar takes away from the unplugged jazz shuffle brilliance of Brian's marimba and Bill's bass. So, short answer, there is no great live version.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:48

micwer
I'm partial to "Still Life"'s version but I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion.

I'm more than partial to it since the intro is what got me hooked big/long time to the Stones when I listened to it on headphones at the record store in 1982!

Having said that the studio version has Brian Jones going for it and the voice of a young Mick.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:50

Date: March 3, 2014 18:52

gotdablouse
micwer

I'm more than partial to it since the intro is what got me hooked big/long time to the Stones when I listened to it on headphones at the record store in 1982!

Having said that the studio version has Brian Jones going for it and the voice of a young Mick.

Interesting. I first heard the live version when I was discovering the Stones and heard the studio version later, and I was shocked that they were so different, almost like 2 different songs. To me, they show various facets of the Stones or if you will, how they evolved from the 60's till the early 80's.

Posted by: 2000man ()

"Still Life", the intro takes me back to the curtain opening in Philly everytime

Posted by: runaway ()

The first Live vinyl: Got Live If You Want It! Under My Thumb

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:02

still life

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:10

runaway

+1 youthful passion and fury

Date: March 3, 2014 19:38

Rollin' Stoner
runaway

+1 youthful passion and fury

When this Live vinyl came out at the time my friends and I used to listen to for hours and hours.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:47

The version on the YaYas box. They never topped the groove that had in the 1969 versions onstage. The Got Live and Still Life versions are too rushed and frenetic. The less said about the Bigger Bang versions the better.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:51

Hampton I

Date: March 3, 2014 19:56

ab
The version on the YaYas box. They never topped the groove that had in the 1969 versions onstage. The Got Live and Still Life versions are too rushed and frenetic. The less said about the Bigger Bang versions the better.

"The Got Live versions are too rushed and frenetic" : We did not care at the time in 1966!

Date: March 4, 2014 00:29

Is there a version of "Got Live" without the shrieks...?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 4, 2014 00:53

This one, perhaps?

Leeds 1982

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 4, 2014 01:23

The original studio version sounds like it does, with the marimba, etc., because it was recorded in 1966. Had they instead recorded it in 1969 for, say, Let It Bleed, it would have sounded like the live versions--plodding and guitar heavy.

I would say any version up through 1982 sounds great, because they were still playing it raunchy and dirty on the Tattoo You tour, when it still sounded reminiscent of their Altamont version. The version played at Altamont only seems to underscore the dark foreboding surrounding that event, and sometimes when I hear it I still mistake it for Sympathy For The Devil, because it has that dark and dangerous vibe to it with the slow and heavy fury of those dirty guitars.

With that said, I don't think a version today would do it justice, as I suspect it might come off sounding too clean to be convincing these days, so perhaps they should let that one rest. Still, I suppose if I were at a Stones show today, Under My Thumb would be a welcome gem if they played it nonetheless.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 4, 2014 01:27

I agree with those saying the studio version is the best. The 69 and 81 versions are both excellent live interpretations of the song. I can't say which one of the two is better. Anything after that....not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 01:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2014 01:42

Chicago opening night of the 97 B2B tour. The gig itself is pretty lame but UMT is stunning!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 4, 2014 01:51

I have always loved this version. It contains some of my favorite Keith playing. I post this one and not the one with the video because the camera work is simply distracting. The medley to I'm Free (with Taylor's nice little solo) is missing.

I like this one too.

These are examples of the "audacity" of the band's 1969 guitar laden song arrangements that do not seek to recreate the sound of the original studio versions.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 4, 2014 02:08

pmk251
I have always loved this version. It contains some of my favorite Keith playing. I post this one and not the one with the video because the camera work is simply distracting. The medley to I'm Free (with Taylor's nice little solo) is missing.

I like this one too.

These are examples of the "audacity" of the band's 1969 guitar laden song arrangements that do not seek to recreate the sound of the original studio versions.

The first one is plodding and the 2nd one sounds like they're ripping off Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 4, 2014 03:02

^ But at least they have Bill Wyman on bass. smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 4, 2014 03:39

"...the 2nd one sounds like they're ripping off Gimme Shelter"

24FPS, the rythm of UMT has something in common with GS - atleast the intros. The same with JJF and Satisfaction, i think...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 4, 2014 04:50

Gotta say that I have a soft spot for the Paris 1967 version. But I love all versions from 1966 to 1982 and of course the studio version - which one I prefer depends on my mood!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 4, 2014 06:20

Those 1969 versions are by far the best live versions. I also like 81-82. However watching that Leeds video is one of the few times where I think Mick Jagger looks absolutely and utterly ridiculous!

Date: March 4, 2014 07:03

24FPS
pmk251

I like this one too.

The first one is plodding and the 2nd one sounds like they're ripping off Gimme Shelter.

Is the 2nd one from Liver than you'll ever be?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 4, 2014 08:31

I like this version/performance. (Incidentally: Has Mick ever elsewhere greeted the audience before the first song started?)

Date: March 4, 2014 10:37

stonehearted
^ But at least they have Bill Wyman on bass. smiling smiley

Those reversed bass lines from Bill never really fits with the guitar notes, but it is beautiful anyhow!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 4, 2014 10:50

Ziggodome, July 12, 2014 !!!!
Jeroen

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 4, 2014 11:20

all the 81-82 versions,to be their best opening song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home