Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Fact!? Mick Taylor's FATE is it to upgrade The Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 16, 2014 20:27

LuxuryStones

Nope, I know and could mention quite a lot of musicians that appreciate Taylor not being on the "square side" of noodling, him running through the stock phrases etc.
If you don't hear the beauty of his melodic lines, and that's only a part of his forte, well, so be it -, yes he had his bloopers, who hasn't winking smiley...and it's a matter of taste.
I pick him out of a zillion of other players. Taylor is trademark Taylor. Just like Keith.

He clearly does run through stock phrases (I mean his pile of phrases) etc.

You and they are too much of a fan. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-16 20:59 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 16, 2014 20:27

jeeze ... these are very old people, this is their last world tour, it's impossible what they are doing. Taylor is there partly for insurance, in case Keith can't finish a night or needs a rest for a tune or two, Taylor will retain credibility on stage. I am sure they are happy to help him get some money in the bank but the creative days are behind them and this is a business move. Let's hope our boys can hold it together for this monumental undertaking in 2014, while it's clear they are hanging on to life there's no reason why it can't be great music and a fun episode..

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 16, 2014 20:41

DoomandGloom
jeeze ... these are very old people, this is their last world tour, it's impossible what they are doing. Taylor is there partly for insurance, in case Keith can't finish a night or needs a rest for a tune or two, Taylor will retain credibility on stage. I am sure they are happy to help him get some money in the bank but the creative days are behind them and this is a business move. Let's hope our boys can hold it together for this monumental undertaking in 2014, while it's clear they are hanging on to life there's no reason why it can't be great music and a fun episode..

Well said DG! Smart move bringing him back for this tour especially considering how expensive the tickets are. How many old time fans do you think bought tickets to see Mick T. on stage with the band again? Also don't disagree that he might be a bench player in case Keef starts struggling. Let's hope him playing on many of the numbers in rehearsals means he plays on more songs during the concerts moving forward.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 16, 2014 21:06

His Majesty

You and they are too much of a fan. smiling smiley

Nothing wrong with that, I hope? smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 16, 2014 21:56

DandelionPowderman
Not many players have a trade mark sound. I´d say Keith has that even more than most guitarists. You know it´s the Rolling Stones playing just by listening to a Berry lick, a phrasing or a chord.

Why is he an "underdog", kleerie, and what does that mean?

Keith is almost always in the top 5 of the world´s greatest players (yeah, I know, those lists are stupid!). But you won´t end up there if you´re underrated/underappreciated/an underdog?

Do you mean he´s a poor guitar player?

He's a limited guitar player and he was my favourite because he was clearly the underdog in the guitar playing field, no matter his position in the so called top x 'greatest' players. Keith would agree himself as first.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: February 16, 2014 22:04

DoomandGloom

+1

Date: February 16, 2014 23:35

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Not many players have a trade mark sound. I´d say Keith has that even more than most guitarists. You know it´s the Rolling Stones playing just by listening to a Berry lick, a phrasing or a chord.

Keith is almost always in the top 5 of the world´s greatest players (yeah, I know, those lists are stupid!). But you won´t end up there if you´re underrated/underappreciated/an underdog?

He's a limited guitar player and he was my favourite because he was clearly the underdog in the guitar playing field, no matter his position in the so called top x 'greatest' players. Keith would agree himself as first.

Underdog? Like he was limited, but everybody was cheering for him?

Not the Keith who inspired me with Angie, Make No Mistake, CYHMK, Little By Little or Tie You Up.

Knowing your limits is lesson number one for playing together with people. Give that one a thought...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 16, 2014 23:38

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Not the Keith who inspired me with Angie, Make No Mistake, CYHMK, Little By Little or Tie You Up.

Knowing your limits is lesson number one for playing together with people. Give that one a thought...

Keith has that underdog feel around him. Don't you feel that?

Date: February 17, 2014 00:45

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Keith has that underdog feel around him. Don't you feel that?

No, because most people, be it heavy rockers, bluesmen or soul musicians love his playing - they don´t sympathise with him because of any shortcomings. He is Goliat, not David, if you know what I mean winking smiley

Date: February 17, 2014 00:58

DoomandGloom

Well, why isn´t he resting when Taylor is on, and why doesn´t Taylor rehearse ALL the songs - for insurance?

No, he´s there, because he can contribute something to their sound - as a guest on selected numbers.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 17, 2014 01:08

DoomandGloom
jeeze ... these are very old people, [. . . ] while it's clear they are hanging on to life

I take your point, but let's not exaggerate, now--Mick and Keith have only just turned 70, Ronnie isn't even there yet, and many people live for a couple more decades these days! Hearing somebody who prances around like Mick described as a very old person is kinda bizarre. grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 17, 2014 01:41

Until they use Mick Taylor for anything but a value added bauble to be hauled out for one cameo number, then he's not really upgrading the Stones.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 17, 2014 02:51

His Majesty
rob51
These bits of Taylor era live Stones prove it once again. They never sounded so good before or after him and Keith must have been pissed. You just bring up the rear while I handle the load up here boy is what it sounds like to me. Not something that would have sat too well with an egotist such as K.Richards seems to be, especially after all his own success with the band before Taylor came around. Too bad Keiths ego came before the musicall integrity of the band and he created enough tension for Mick T. to decide to run. Thats the way I see it anyway and of course your all welcome to attack now that I've said my piece.
I will say though that in Keiths defence few players were ever as good as M.Taylor was during his time with the Stones. And it was a futile battle if Keith thought he could even compete with Taylor at the time. One was probably one of the best lead blues/rock guitar player there's ever been, the other a very good solid ryhtum player that also wrote many of the best rock/pop tunes of his era. Like Brian before him trying to take on M.Jagger for top dog in the band, Keith just couldn't come close to Mick as a guitar player, and its a shame we'll never know what might have been, had Keith been more willing to take less of an upfront roll?

Well, I think Keith is a much better guitar player than Taylor and that they sounded better before.

Now, you may think this is 1000 miles in to the land of ridiculous, but Keith was a musician who came up with so many creative, brilliant hooks, riffs, solos and multi guitar arrangements that defined somgs and inspired millions of people.

You focus on Keith's ego, but why not on Taylor's?

Anyway, Taylor had no intent to stay in the band for a long time, he was always going to leave.

The Rolling Stones was everything to Keith, for Taylor is was just an interesting thing to be involved in for awhile.

That last sentence is very true. It's also true that Taylor had to get away or quit for his own good because he was in way over his head with drugs ..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 17, 2014 03:14

duke richardson
His Majesty
rob51
These bits of Taylor era live Stones prove it once again. They never sounded so good before or after him and Keith must have been pissed. You just bring up the rear while I handle the load up here boy is what it sounds like to me. Not something that would have sat too well with an egotist such as K.Richards seems to be, especially after all his own success with the band before Taylor came around. Too bad Keiths ego came before the musicall integrity of the band and he created enough tension for Mick T. to decide to run. Thats the way I see it anyway and of course your all welcome to attack now that I've said my piece.
I will say though that in Keiths defence few players were ever as good as M.Taylor was during his time with the Stones. And it was a futile battle if Keith thought he could even compete with Taylor at the time. One was probably one of the best lead blues/rock guitar player there's ever been, the other a very good solid ryhtum player that also wrote many of the best rock/pop tunes of his era. Like Brian before him trying to take on M.Jagger for top dog in the band, Keith just couldn't come close to Mick as a guitar player, and its a shame we'll never know what might have been, had Keith been more willing to take less of an upfront roll?

Well, I think Keith is a much better guitar player than Taylor and that they sounded better before.

Now, you may think this is 1000 miles in to the land of ridiculous, but Keith was a musician who came up with so many creative, brilliant hooks, riffs, solos and multi guitar arrangements that defined somgs and inspired millions of people.

You focus on Keith's ego, but why not on Taylor's?

Anyway, Taylor had no intent to stay in the band for a long time, he was always going to leave.

The Rolling Stones was everything to Keith, for Taylor is was just an interesting thing to be involved in for awhile.

That last sentence is very true. It's also true that Taylor had to get away or quit for his own good because he was in way over his head with drugs ..

He quit because he was frustrated and wanted to do something else. His drug problem actually got worse after he left the Stones. I imagine he's been quite conflicted over the years about his decision to leave the Stones. Kinda like my friend's ex-husband who calls her occasionally when he's had too much to drink and is pining after his old life. Other times, I'm sure he's very happy to be on his own.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 17, 2014 03:20

Clearly, it has always been Keiths band--- I don't think for a minute he ever thought he was in competition with Mick T-- The fact is, during the Taylor years Keith was having not only a lot of personal issues, but also having his own musical high points of his career. I doubt if he ever considered Mick Taylor a threat.
Mick Taylor was a young guy who had incredible success early in his life and
listened to bad advice as he went along and believed his musical gift was more than it was.
He could have stayed with the Stones and also done solo stuff-- in the end, he was wrong. He could have had the best of all worlds.

Date: February 17, 2014 03:20

Taylor has made it quite clear that he never saw the stones as a long term thing. Like Mayall he would have left when ever the music stopped being of interest or a challenge.

Faced with the crap songs on Black & Blue he probably would have bolted during those sessions anyway. He probably heard them in advance and wisely stepped out. I know I would have. >grinning smiley<

December 1974 seems like a perfect time to step out of a dinosaur like the stones...

His smugness in old grey whistle test interview is interesting, little did he know what a cluster @#$%& of a career move he was in the midst of.

So, a fresh and captivating guitarist in one of the biggest bands in the world to a junkie in doomed before it began jazz/prog rock band within 5 - 6 years.

Ouch. The stones really were bad for yer health.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 03:50 by His Majesty.

Date: February 17, 2014 03:25

Aquamarine
DoomandGloom
jeeze ... these are very old people, [. . . ] while it's clear they are hanging on to life

I take your point, but let's not exaggerate, now--Mick and Keith have only just turned 70, Ronnie isn't even there yet, and many people live for a couple more decades these days! Hearing somebody who prances around like Mick described as a very old person is kinda bizarre. grinning smiley
I'm 52, play in a rock band and it is tough sometimes to keep the energy up 2 hours into a night.. Now of course The Stones have every luxury but when I'm on stage I don't really suffer from setting up, it's more from the travel, guitar weight, volume and lights... I run, lift weight and am fit. Mick at 70 has to feel it, Keith, well he's showing it more. They are astounding but this is temporary, we should really enjoy this gift from the rock gods... Everybody who thinks they'll wait for next time should get to a show or two..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 17, 2014 03:40

DoomandGloom
Aquamarine
DoomandGloom

I'm 52, play in a rock band and it is tough sometimes to keep the energy up 2 hours into a night.. Now of course The Stones have every luxury but when I'm on stage I don't really suffer from setting up, it's more from the travel, guitar weight, volume and lights... I run, lift weight and am fit. Mick at 70 has to feel it, Keith, well he's showing it more. They are astounding but this is temporary, we should really enjoy this gift from the rock gods... Everybody who thinks they'll wait for next time should get to a show or two..

Are you going to make it to any of the shows on this tour, DoomandGloom? I can't do it, so I'm counting on a few more shows in the US. Hopefully, the gods of rock will be on my side.smiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2014 06:20

latebloomer
DoomandGloom
Aquamarine
DoomandGloom

Are you going to make it to any of the shows on this tour, DoomandGloom? I can't do it, so I'm counting on a few more shows in the US. Hopefully, the gods of rock will be on my side.smiling smiley
Nope went three times in US for 50+ and was lucky to be at a Cutting Room show which was terrific. If they return to the US I'll be there but my first hope is everyone here that wishes to go gets a real opportunity. To those on the fence I will say seeing the R.S. as they are today is unforgettable. I left Philly feeling really proud that this was the band I decided to follow once again as they made a complete and honest effort to present great show. Their most professional tour of their great career.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2014 06:42

Keith has invented lots of great riffs, but as a guitar player he has never been that good

YEAH and he always the first to admit to that ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 17, 2014 08:35

<but as a guitar player he has never been that good>

Keith Richards is one of probably a handful guitar players in the world where every strum on the guitar matters. Notice that with most bands you only hears small portions of the guitars during a song. Keith plays a lot, and he plays all kinds of stuff.

I never thought I'd read that Keith was an underdog or a poor guitar player on a Stones site.

Just listen to these songs. Non stop action, excellent playing: rhythm, riffs, licks and lead. Effective as hell, but also showing that his skills aren't as limited as some believe.

He always knew what suited the song, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 08:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 08:49

Rockman
Keith has invented lots of great riffs, but as a guitar player he has never been that good

Well, pretty good intro's anyway.

Date: February 17, 2014 08:54

Intros, songs, licks, hooks, leads, riffs. You name it...

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 09:00

Post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 09:03 by lapaz62.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 17, 2014 09:51

DoomandGloom
Aquamarine
DoomandGloom

Oh, I totally agree, it's just your "very old" terminology I'm questioning! (What is an 80- or 90-year old person, then?) Let alone the concept of them clinging to life! There's certainly no denying it's much harder work at their current age, though.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:50

One thing we know for sure - MT included unless he blows the roof off- : They are going to repeat themselves.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 17, 2014 14:57

drbryant
rob51

I don't think there any factual basis for this. It seems to be the product of an overactive imagination? The division of roles between Keith and Mick T during the 69-73 period came about because of Keith's respect to Taylor's abilities as a soloist. It's evidence of Keith's self-confidence that he was willing to step back and be primarily a rhythm guitarist. And that confidence is not surprising, since Keith is a genius - you can't learn to write guitar parts as instantly memorable as those on Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, etc., etc. It's something that you are born with - otherwise a lot more people would do it, and game and ringtone companies would be paying someone else.

Can't disagree with that. Well said.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: February 17, 2014 15:07

His Majesty

Faced with the crap songs on Black & Blue he probably would have bolted during those sessions anyway. He probably heard them in advance and wisely stepped out. I know I would have. >grinning smiley<

Agreed!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 17, 2014 15:18

winking smiley

Date: February 17, 2014 15:20

Yeah, crap songs like Worried About You, Slave, Memory Motel and Hand Of Fate must have been unbearable to even think of contributing to grinning smiley

Maybe Leather Jacket would have replaced Hey Negrita, had he continued with the Stones.

Improvement?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home