Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Fact!? Mick Taylor's FATE is it to upgrade The Stones
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 17, 2014 15:28

latebloomer
duke richardson
His Majesty
rob51
These bits of Taylor era live Stones prove it once again. They never sounded so good before or after him and Keith must have been pissed. You just bring up the rear while I handle the load up here boy is what it sounds like to me. Not something that would have sat too well with an egotist such as K.Richards seems to be, especially after all his own success with the band before Taylor came around. Too bad Keiths ego came before the musicall integrity of the band and he created enough tension for Mick T. to decide to run. Thats the way I see it anyway and of course your all welcome to attack now that I've said my piece.
I will say though that in Keiths defence few players were ever as good as M.Taylor was during his time with the Stones. And it was a futile battle if Keith thought he could even compete with Taylor at the time. One was probably one of the best lead blues/rock guitar player there's ever been, the other a very good solid ryhtum player that also wrote many of the best rock/pop tunes of his era. Like Brian before him trying to take on M.Jagger for top dog in the band, Keith just couldn't come close to Mick as a guitar player, and its a shame we'll never know what might have been, had Keith been more willing to take less of an upfront roll?

Well, I think Keith is a much better guitar player than Taylor and that they sounded better before.

Now, you may think this is 1000 miles in to the land of ridiculous, but Keith was a musician who came up with so many creative, brilliant hooks, riffs, solos and multi guitar arrangements that defined somgs and inspired millions of people.

You focus on Keith's ego, but why not on Taylor's?

Anyway, Taylor had no intent to stay in the band for a long time, he was always going to leave.

The Rolling Stones was everything to Keith, for Taylor is was just an interesting thing to be involved in for awhile.

That last sentence is very true. It's also true that Taylor had to get away or quit for his own good because he was in way over his head with drugs ..

He quit because he was frustrated and wanted to do something else. His drug problem actually got worse after he left the Stones. I imagine he's been quite conflicted over the years about his decision to leave the Stones. Kinda like my friend's ex-husband who calls her occasionally when he's had too much to drink and is pining after his old life. Other times, I'm sure he's very happy to be on his own.

He quit because he was frustrated and wanted to do something else. His drug problem actually got worse after he left the Stones.

during his time with the Stones Taylor was addicted to heroin and cocaine. right after he quit he had to have reconstructive surgery to his nasal passages because of all the intake. sad. I'm of the view that he quit because he couldn't take the lifestyle, knew it was killing him. professional frustration too, and Majesty is right that Taylor never intended to stay long.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 17, 2014 15:41

Rockman
Keith has invented lots of great riffs, but as a guitar player he has never been that good

YEAH and he always the first to admit to that ....

Yep, that's what I said. And right he is.

Date: February 17, 2014 15:56

So tell me your musical grounds for why he isn't playing good in the videos I posted, kleerie..

Are you thinking of his solo playing, his rhythm playing, his songwriting or his riffing? His licks? Or all of this? This calls for an ellaboration, methinks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 15:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 17, 2014 16:05

kleermaker

No, wrong he is. Of course he's not going to say he's amazing.

Keith was very creative and that ties in with his guitar playing.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:08

Keith is a pioneer of rock guitar. He rewrote the book on open chording and wrote rock's greatest catalog from it. He has recorded the single most memorable Stones solo, SFD. He was lead guitarist with Brian, handed the job to Taylor (because he is wise, bands in that era needed a gunslinger type and more modest than you'd guess). He then split the job with Ronnie, once again reinventing guitar tones and effects on Some Girls. It's hard to look at his arthritic condition today and say he's the same player but that does not diminish the facts. He is instantly recognizable on recordings which is the mark of a true great. Next people are going to say John Lennon was not a great guitarist

Date: February 17, 2014 18:09

DoomandGloom
Keith is a pioneer of rock guitar. He rewrote the book on open chording and wrote rock's greatest catalog from it. He has recorded the single most memorable Stones solo, SFD. He was lead guitarist with Brian, handed the job to Taylor (because he is wise, bands in that era needed a gunslinger type and more modest than you'd guess). He then split the job with Ronnie, once again reinventing guitar tones and effects on Some Girls. It's hard to look at his arthritic condition today and say he's the same player but that does not diminish the facts. He is instantly recognizable on recordings which is the mark of a true great. Next people are going to say John Lennon was not a great guitarist

thumbs up

Date: February 17, 2014 18:42

DandelionPowderman
So tell me your musical grounds for why he isn't playing good in the videos I posted, kleerie..

Are you thinking of his solo playing, his rhythm playing, his songwriting or his riffing? His licks? Or all of this? This calls for an ellaboration, methinks smiling smiley

If we are talking about guitar playing, we're not talking about songwriting or inventing riffs. His solo playing is mediocre at best, his rhythm playing is great, but not in combination with a mediocre melodic player like what's his name. His licks and his slide playing are nothing special. The way he plays his riffs on stage vary between fantastic and wobbly. His acoustic guitar skills are just okay, but nothing special.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:44

The people here are getting dumber..

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:51

It's impossible not to like Keith's playing.

Date: February 17, 2014 19:12

You're out on your own on with this one, kleerie.

And wobbly is a good word smiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2014 19:27

DandelionPowderman

No problem Dandie. I have a weak spot for Keith, as I wrote. That's enough. But I know he's a saint in Stonesland.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: February 17, 2014 19:45

I loved the Taylor-era of the band but when he was a Stone it was more of a lead guitar, rhythm guitar band. With Brian Jones and Woody it is more of a dueling guitars that practice what Keef calls "weaving" where each guitar plays off each other in an organic way.

But it is cool having Taylor back on stage with the band. Gotta love it.

Date: February 17, 2014 20:21

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

No problem Dandie. I have a weak spot for Keith, as I wrote. That's enough. But I know he's a saint in Stonesland.

Not only in Stonesland, hence no "underdog"... winking smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: February 17, 2014 20:30

DoomandGloom
The people here are getting dumber..

Absolutely. This is really a tired worn out discussion. I really hope that Ronnie, Keith, and Mick T don't read this stuff. Who's better, what period is better. Instead of being happy Mick T is back and playing again with the Stones after decades we still have these same old discussions. After all he did not have to be back at all.Thankfully he is due to the grace of the stones, probably a great deal of credit goes to Ronnie for him being back. I am happy they can even do this at their age. It is incredible!

Date: February 18, 2014 03:44

kleermaker

If we are talking about guitar playing, we're not talking about songwriting or inventing riffs. His solo playing is mediocre at best, his rhythm playing is great, but not in combination with a mediocre melodic player like what's his name. His licks and his slide playing are nothing special. The way he plays his riffs on stage vary between fantastic and wobbly. His acoustic guitar skills are just okay, but nothing special.

So, to recap, you...

* Think Keith is crap at playing guitar
* Don't like Jimi Hendrix
* Think Led Zeppelin are unknown to young of today

... and ...

* Think you have special ears

smiling bouncing smiley

grinning smiley

Just a gentle bit of ribbing sir. smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 04:17

Ok, ok, maybe not such a good idea to have Taylor only play riff/rhythm and have Keith solo through out.

grinning smiley winking smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 14:15

His Majesty
Ok, ok, maybe not such a good idea to have Taylor only play riff/rhythm and have Keith solo through out.

A splendid idea to have Taylor playing the riff/rhythm in this very case, my dear HM. He's consitent, smooth timing, he almost makes it feel like lounging. It doesn't always have to be a hammer. But no doubt he could have done a professional lead as well. And yes, no worries, I do like Keith's sex, drugs and & RR playing here as well. smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 14:32

LuxuryStones
His Majesty

A splendid idea to have Taylor playing the riff/rhythm in this very case, my dear HM. He's consitent, smooth timing, he almost makes it feel like lounging. It doesn't always have to be a hammer. But no doubt he could have done a professional lead as well. And yes, no worries, I do like Keith's sex, drugs and & RR playing here as well. smiling smiley

+1

It's all what suits the song (as I've messed with a hundred times smiling smiley ). A song like Bitch needs Keith's lead style - and I especially appreciate his lead motif on the choruses here.

I think HM was referring to kleerie's horrendous description of Keith as a guitar player with his comment, not that there was anything wrong with the roles they took on for Bitch smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 14:52

LuxuryStones
His Majesty

Ah, you misundrstand, I said that due to Keith's pretty poor lead playing on this. winking smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 15:08

His Majesty
LuxuryStones
His Majesty

Ah, you misundrstand, I said that due to Keith's pretty poor lead playing on this. winking smiley

Yeah, he is playing like he's never touched a guitar before eye rolling smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 15:21

It's hardly Keith at his best.

Date: February 18, 2014 15:28

He has a couple of clumsy bends in there in the beginning. But overall it's like the rest of the Bitch versions I've heard from this tour - like this one (some weird rhythm guitar during Keith's solo on this one, btw):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 15:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 18, 2014 15:48

Hmm, I dunno, aside from the distinctive sting lick and some fills here and there his part just sounds like he's falling back on berry-isms without much point.

Taylor's rhythm during the solo sounds to me like an attempt to provide some tension and variety from the main motif. It would have worked better had Keith in particular reacted to and worked with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 15:51 by His Majesty.

Date: February 18, 2014 15:52

His Majesty
Hmm, I dunno, aside from the distinctive sting lick and some fills here and there his part just sounds like widdlong without a purpose to me.

Taylor's rhythm during the solo sounds to me like an attempt to provide some tension and variety from the main motif.

Listen to what Keith does during the choruses. That motif is genius in my book, and definitely with a purpose.

I agree about the repeated Berry-ish licks, though.

Taylor doesn't succeed, imo. because the counter-rhythm is too off. He achieves chaos, but not tension.

Keith's playing on the studio version is very similar to what he does live, albeit a bit more varied - but there he is too slow on some parts..

My favourite is the Atlantic City 1989 version. Keith's playing there is excellent.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 18, 2014 15:52

His Majesty
kleermaker

I agree completely. How do you separate creativity from skills? Mick has played with every guitar god around (remember She's the Boss? Satriani on tour?), but I can't recall any of their solos, even though I'm sure they were great. But, like every Stones fan, Keith's solos (think of tumbling Dice, YCAGWYW, or Sympathy) are burned in my memory, as important to those tracks as the lyrics, or Jagger's vocals. He has always been much more than intros and riffs. His musical creativity have resulted in solos that virtually everyone who has listened to the Stones can hum in their sleep.

Date: February 18, 2014 15:56

drbryant
His Majesty
kleermaker

I agree completely. How do you separate creativity from skills? Mick has played with every guitar god around (remember She's the Boss? Satriani on tour?), but I can't recall any of their solos, even though I'm sure they were great. But, like every Stones fan, Keith's solos (think of tumbling Dice, YCAGWYW, or Sympathy) are burned in my memory, as important to those tracks as the lyrics, or Jagger's vocals. He has always been much more than intros and riffs. His musical creativity have resulted in solos that virtually everyone who has listened to the Stones can hum in their sleep.

Hear hear! thumbs up

Date: February 18, 2014 17:55

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
LuxuryStones
His Majesty

Yeah, he is playing like he's never touched a guitar before eye rolling smiley

Well, seemingly Kleer does have a point then. Don't shoot the messenger.grinning smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 18:11

Was just meaning that perhaps a dual riff/rhythm/lead approach might have suited Bitch better rather than just Taylor riff/rhythm and keith fills/lead. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 18, 2014 18:12

The Stones continued on without Taylor with a different lead guitarist and an updated sound.

I don't think Taylor's appearances on this 50th tour adds anything more than what the Stones are already giving the fans during the entirety of the concert.

It's great that he's there, of course, because he has a lot of fans obviously. And it's nice that's he's back for a few numbers for certain concerts. If anything this is just great marketing by Jagger for the Stones, great incentive for fans to actually buy the concert tickets.

I don't understand why there's such a big deal made out of Taylor's time in the Stones of that era. He definitely contributed to the albums and concert tours of the era of the early 70s. But come on, it was his decision to leave. End of story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 18:18 by nightskyman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 18, 2014 19:02

mick taylor has a signature VIBRATO tone . you can hear Taylor's vibrato from a mile away .no mistaking Taylor's tone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home