Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: UK gigs
Posted by: The Maverick ()
Date: May 13, 2005 11:45

The Stones have considered birmingham gigs on recent tours, but deemed none of the city stadiums were of the standard and offered the facilities of the London and Manchester sites.

I mean have you seen the toilet facilities at Villa Park for away supporters, disgusting.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 13, 2005 11:53

Birmingham has two big arenas, though - and a return to that city is indeed long overdue

Date: May 13, 2005 13:16

Yes but as the Stones people confirmed they are not up to the standard required, both Villa Park, St Andrews and even the Hawthorns for that matter are 2nd rate inner city stadiums and not up with the modern stadia of today. The NEC would be capable of an arena show, but I guess the Stones see Manchester as the best option outside of london, plus it gives the Brummies of going to either London or Manchester, roughly 100 miles to each location, not a great distance compared to some of the distances people have to travel to see the Stones in the US.

You have to remember the UK is about as big as an average American state, so if the UK gets 7 or 8 gigs, that is a lot more than the typical American state will get, if the Stones booked the UK like they do the US, the UK would probably only get 2 London shows and nothing else.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 13, 2005 13:28

I am inclined to agree with you maverick, perhaps in another ten years we might see them at the birmingham lacarno.

Date: May 13, 2005 14:29

The Maverick Wrote:
>
> You have to remember the UK is about as big as an
> average American state, so if the UK gets 7 or 8
> gigs, that is a lot more than the typical American
> state will get, if the Stones booked the UK like
> they do the US, the UK would probably only get 2
> London shows and nothing else.

size isnt the issue, but population. Britain is one of the most densely crowded countries in the western world.

Theres no American state that has a population of 60 million people.

The UK has almost twice the population of Canada , which is the 2nd largest country in the world

UK population is about a fifth of the US, so that strictly speaking should equate to about ten arena and stadium shows if the US were to get around 50.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 13, 2005 15:24

"I mean have you seen the toilet facilities at Villa Park for away supporters, disgusting"

yeah but that's ok. the home ones are great yawning smiley)

"both Villa Park, St Andrews and even the Hawthorns for that matter are 2nd rate inner city stadiums and not up with the modern stadia of today"

HAHAHA. i could've sworn the boys played at Wembley Stadium and Maine Road previously!, so if your talking about 'second rate stadiums' you don't get much worse than those pair. they were falling to bits

Date: May 13, 2005 15:27

Typical villa fan reply 'home toilets are great' smacks of im all right jack

but i have to agree about wembley & maine road espiecally geting out of wembley

Date: May 13, 2005 16:17

The gig at Portman Road will feature Bill Wyman who lives next door to this first-class stadium of the Tractor Boyz. Stadium to be tested for Stones by REM this summer. A club show may most likely take place in [online.ipswich.gov.uk] where as you can see the Stones haven't played for some days....

Date: May 13, 2005 17:02

"Typical villa fan reply 'home toilets are great' smacks of im all right jack"

maybe if we charged away fans 45 quid a ticket we could afford to upgrade em ?

Date: May 13, 2005 18:42

" UK population is about a fifth of the US, so that strictly speaking should equate to about ten arena and stadium shows if the US were to get around 50"

Probably won't be to far from that at the end!

June Wembley (probably more show's in June as I can't se them bringing the whole show over to the UK just to play 1 or 2 shows at the new Wembley)

Aug Hampden Park

Aug Manchester Apollo

Aug City Of Manchester Stadium

Aug Shepards Bush Empire

Aug Wembley x 2

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 13, 2005 20:44

Gazza, you forgot the Astoria gig they played in your 2003 listings. I was there. Or did I dream it?

Date: May 14, 2005 13:06

They are planning to start and end the European tour next year with gigs at the new Wembley Stadium.

Date: May 14, 2005 16:50

Nikolai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza, you forgot the Astoria gig they played in
> your 2003 listings. I was there. Or did I dream
> it?

I was there too. LOL...sorry, overlooked it as I was emphasising the cities more than the venues!

Date: May 14, 2005 20:49

Andy

I agree its silly prices and most blues fan would agree with that, but at least you dont have fans throwing urine, spitting inside the ground and outside throwing glasses & bricks outside before the match.

Anyway back to the music.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: May 15, 2005 09:55

The Maverick Wrote:
> They are planning to start and end the European
> tour next year with gigs at the new Wembley
> Stadium.

A question for you (but really aimed at Maverick, as he seems to be in the know). Any ideas when the tickets for the UK will go on sale? I'm looking to renew my membership just before then.
Does anyone think there will be a cut-off date like there was for the US dates, i.e. a pre-presales date?

Thanks,
Lee

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2005 10:21

what they've said so far sounds like maybe the same "cut-off date" is going to apply for all the presales, not just the North American ones. they haven't stated that explicitly; but they also haven't said explicity that the "pre-presale" deal for pre-may-9thers only applies to North American gigs. they did extend the pre-may-9th memberships for an extra year, which might be intended to accommodate longterm members interested in the presales for shows outside North America. or maybe i'm reading too much into it.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 10:39 by with sssoul.

Date: May 16, 2005 13:52

Don't hold your breath for UK ticket sales, were looking at the bad end of the year for the stadium gigs and for Manchester Apollo and Shepards Bush I wouldn't expect offical confirmation or sales of tickets until around Feb/Mar 2006, so a long time for everone to save there pennies!

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:51

The Maverick Wrote:
> Don't hold your breath for UK ticket sales, were
> looking at the bad end of the year for the stadium
> gigs and for Manchester Apollo and Shepards Bush I
> wouldn't expect offical confirmation or sales of
> tickets until around Feb/Mar 2006, so a long time
> for everone to save there pennies!

I think we'll need the time to save up enough to buy a ticket......!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: May 16, 2005 15:58

The Maverick Wrote:
> Don't hold your breath for UK ticket sales, were
> looking at the bad end of the year for the stadium
> gigs and for Manchester Apollo and Shepards Bush I
> wouldn't expect offical confirmation or sales of
> tickets until around Feb/Mar 2006, so a long time
> for everone to save there pennies!

I reckon probably around December of this year as usual. Certainly no later than Christmas

March is too late to be selling tickets at those prices for stadium shows which start as early as June, especially for a tour that'll be competing with the World Cup.

Date: May 16, 2005 16:17

"I agree its silly prices and most blues fan would agree with that, but at least you dont have fans throwing urine, spitting inside the ground and outside throwing glasses & bricks outside before the match."

true. we don't. i feel for you. you should start up a campaign to smarten small heath up a bit!

Date: May 17, 2005 12:19

The club gigs tickets will go on sale in March, the stadium shows about 3 months earlier.

Date: May 18, 2005 16:47

There is talk about a mini 5 or 6 date club tour of the UK in August next year, but this is only speculation, maybe a possibility as a farewell to the UK? With Manchester and London having a club gig, maybe Birmingham, Glasgow, Dublin etc could also end up with one?

Posted by: percystokes ()
Date: May 18, 2005 16:54

What about the rumour that they will be headlining Live Aid in Hyde Park.....maybe we will get to see them before the states....now that would be something if it isn't a load of bollocks!

Date: May 18, 2005 17:06

a load of bollocks is exactly what I think it is, percy!

Date: May 18, 2005 17:08

The Maverick Wrote:
> There is talk about a mini 5 or 6 date club tour
> of the UK in August next year, but this is only
> speculation, maybe a possibility as a farewell to
> the UK? With Manchester and London having a club
> gig, maybe Birmingham, Glasgow, Dublin etc could
> also end up with one?

wouldnt believe that for a second. That would take almost two weeks out of the tour, when they could be playing to a quarter of million people or more in stadiums. That many club shows in one country would eat into the tour profits too much. Plus, its probable that theyre already playing stadium shows in most of the cities youve mentioned.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: May 18, 2005 18:19

as the stones are English, me and Keith were even born in the same place, though diff hospitals, i always feel cheated as a stones fan.. when they do a club show why not one in Dartford, Welling or Bexley where they are from.. plenty of venues there that could take them.. even the Churchill theatre Bromley holds a few thoughts and would be a good venue..

why don't we get any special guests like they do in the US eithr, Taj Mahal, Dave Stewart etc have played with them before but in the UK we get nothing special even though it's their home gig.. even the setlist is sometimes better for the US leg than the UK

Date: May 19, 2005 11:38

The Stone are NOT playing a Hyde Park this year, definatly NOT.

Date: May 19, 2005 12:17

sherer Wrote:
> as the stones are English, me and Keith were even
> born in the same place, though diff hospitals, i
> always feel cheated as a stones fan.. when they do
> a club show why not one in Dartford, Welling or
> Bexley where they are from.. plenty of venues
> there that could take them.. even the Churchill
> theatre Bromley holds a few thoughts and would be
> a good venue..
>
> why don't we get any special guests like they do
> in the US eithr, Taj Mahal, Dave Stewart etc have
> played with them before but in the UK we get
> nothing special even though it's their home gig..
> even the setlist is sometimes better for the US
> leg than the UK

when did Dave Stewart play with them?

To be fair, most of the special guests thing in the US is for telecasts.

Sheryl Crow guested on 4 out of the 5 UK shows in '99 and Angus & Malcolm Young at Twickenham in 2003

Lets face it, when youre the biggest band in the world, you dont really NEED special guests to make a show more interesting

the setlist is always better (and longer!) in the US because they tour there first and are still more likely to experiment with the show before finding what works and what doesnt

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2005 12:48

sherer Wrote:
> as the stones are English, me and Keith were even
> born in the same place, though diff hospitals, i
> always feel cheated as a stones fan.. when they do
> a club show why not one in Dartford, Welling or
> Bexley where they are from.. plenty of venues
> there that could take them.. even the Churchill
> theatre Bromley holds a few thoughts and would be
> a good venue..
>
> why don't we get any special guests like they do
> in the US eithr, Taj Mahal, Dave Stewart etc have
> played with them before but in the UK we get
> nothing special even though it's their home gig..
> even the setlist is sometimes better for the US
> leg than the UK

Welling? Ha Ha! I lived there all last year 'till my girlfreind kicked me out!

I suppose they could play the Orchard theatre in Dartford. Very odd place though. There always seems to be loads of old drunks hanging about. Probably freinds Keith left behind 45 years ago lol!

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: May 19, 2005 12:53

i think when Sheryl Crow was there in 99 she was just support whereas when she was at MSG she did HTW with them.. i'm sure on one of the VHS's i;ve got of the BTB tour Dave Stewart was with them.. i'll have to check later tonight who it was

just seems that the US get the better shows.. and as i said if they going to do a club gig then why not actually where they are from.. there are venues about that they could play Blackheath Concert Halls, a few places in Dartford as well

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home