Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 28, 2013 00:05

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 28, 2013 00:20

OutOfTime
ohcarol
I was there as was Dr.Pete! Cold night great show! I followed the band back to the Westin Crown Center hotel!
Wow! Great ohcarol!! Do you remember how long Mick Taylor was on stage? I listened some of the soundboard recording today and heard a MT solo on Black Limousine. Also there is a picture of Keith, MT and MJagger (jumping wide legged in front of MT) with all the balloons on the floor indicating MT was on Satisfaction (the last song of the show also in 1981)
This show is the missing link between The Mick Taylor Years (69-74) and the 50 and Counting Tour !!!
It was my first Stones concert and certainly a memorable one! I swear I saw MT Walk on after Whip and before Lstnt. AND I remember a KC Dj on KY102 mention that afternoon MT was in town and wouldn't it be cool IF he played on stage that night!! IT WAS SERIOUSLY COOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-28 03:25 by DrPete.

Date: December 28, 2013 03:30

That's cool, Pete!

Everybody's been wondering when Taylor went on. He wasn't really that audible in the beginning, so your info is valuable thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 28, 2013 04:37

I seem to remember an interview with Taylor many years ago which was reproduced in a fan magazine (I think it may have been IORR) in which Mick corrected the interviewer who mentioned about him playing a few songs with the Stones in Kansas City by insisting "I played on the whole show".

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 28, 2013 06:20

It is bizarre a definative answer is not available..especially since a soundboard tape is available.
Ill trust my ears...but I guess he could have played more with his guitar turned down..thanks to keith.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 28, 2013 10:15

just to be clear.Taylor was there december 14th 1981 and its on soundboard quality.

2nd day december 15th was lot better gig.......

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 28, 2013 11:43

Gazza
I seem to remember an interview with Taylor many years ago which was reproduced in a fan magazine (I think it may have been IORR) in which Mick corrected the interviewer who mentioned about him playing a few songs with the Stones in Kansas City by insisting "I played on the whole show".
There's NO way he played the whole show. I'd believe it if he came out at even the second or third song, although my guess would be it was like 4 or 5 songs in after the Stones got the place moving already. But there's no way he played the whole show and came out with the band at the very start. He wasn't part of the band, and that just wouldn't happen. There were less people than there were on stage then than there are now. The people that came out during the first song were The "current" Rolling Stones at the time.

I know you aren't saying it and just reiterating what Taylor said, but I believe Taylor is exaggerating there.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 28, 2013 12:19

What I like most about all the stories is that he played too loud.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 28, 2013 16:03

LuxuryStones
What I like most about all the stories is that he played too loud.

Yeah, man!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 28, 2013 17:48

I remember one later interview where he didn't talk very nicely about that gig. Like he wasn't feeling good there and glad when it was over.Didn't really make much sense to me.

Date: December 29, 2013 00:03

We have it confirmed now that he came on on Whip (second song). He stayed throughout smiling smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 29, 2013 00:37

CousinC
I remember one later interview where he didn't talk very nicely about that gig. Like he wasn't feeling good there and glad when it was over.Didn't really make much sense to me.

I think he was bothered by how the music had changed. I recall an interview clip where he talks about playing at that gig--it's probably on that Rare and Unseen DVD--where he says that they had changed, the music had changed, that it was all "fast and furious". This was, after all, the post-Some Girls band.

Date: December 29, 2013 00:41

He missed the slow days with RTJ, JJF, ADTL, BS and MR?

Date: December 29, 2013 00:47

<<He missed the slow days with RTJ, JJF, ADTL, BS and MR?>>

Who knows? This is just what he said. Wish I could find the clip, if indeed it is available online.

At least in those above-mentioned titles there was room for his definitive lead guitar signature--unlike in a song like, say, Neighbors.

Date: December 29, 2013 00:50

He doesn't have to play as fast as the song goes smiling smiley

I don't think he meant it that way.

Date: December 29, 2013 01:00

Well, it's hard to tell what he meant because that's all he said. I will try and locate that clip in the next 24 hours, if it's available. There has to be a source listed in the DVD credits....

Although, it isn't a very flattering interview for Mick Taylor. He's seated in a booth of what looks to be a pub for a UK interview with an extremely attractive and young raven-haired woman.

It seems MT has had a good tipple or two ahead of the interview, because he can't resist putting the moves on this chick from the get-go. After the interviewer introduces him for the viewer, MT then stands up to undo the lower button of his jacket to show the camera his legs, adding "And I still have a great pair of pins!" The interviewer, perhaps a bit embarrassed but playing along, agrees, saying, "Yes, very nice pins, I have to say."

The interviewer then goes on to ask him about his time in The Stones and MT, almost blushing as he leans his head back against his palm, tilting his head inward and grinning flirtatiously indicates the 1969 photo of himself hanging on the wall above the booth, emphasizing that he was "very angelic looking" and that he "made a lot of great music--and a lot of money!" When asked what it was like working with Mick Jagger, MT answers, "Oh, it was alright. Mick was a bit of a prima donna, though, at times...." Then he describes the 1981 gig as the camera shows a pro-shot film clip from the concert.

I'll try and find this interview....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:54

I think its a fair statement to say that overall things were played faster in 81 compared to 72-73.

Date: December 29, 2013 12:21

I think Gravity Boy measured that back in the day. Where is he, btw?

Date: December 29, 2013 13:38

Irritating (imo) drums aside, this sure is an intesting listen.

What ever shite was or wasn't going on with regards to volumes and egos, the sonic carpet of guitars weaving in, out and around each other throws up lots of ace little interactions.

This is how the 50 and counting Taylor slots should have been handled, not the too obvious and wanky solo features. Different times and abilities, but still.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 29, 2013 14:07

His Majesty

This is how the 50 and counting Taylor slots should have been handled, not the too obvious and wanky solo features. Different times and abilities, but still.

So actually you do like the 'Frankenstein era', if you don't mind me using that term. Sometimes you inspire me, you know.winking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 29, 2013 14:41

fwiw- I was there at Kemper arena that night, outside two hours before show time looking for 2 reasonably priced tickets. To this day it is one of only two events which I have gone to, with plenty of money in pocket, to buy a ticket but got shut out and had to go home without getting in.

They played back to back nights in Kansas City on that tour. The 2 KC dates were added much later than other cities. It was a deal where supposedly the local promoter got a bunch of people, radio stations and stuff etc to do a begging them to play here campaign.

I had already seen them several times on that tour so I was not caught up in the hullaballow... anyway... after the campaign worked, and they announced the 2 dates they announced a "mail in the money thing" to get tickets. I didnt mail any money, I had never had a problem getting into any show, buying seats outside before any show I wanted, usually below face value. The only time I would buy well in advance was if the seats were primo (1-5th row center) other wise we just waited for day of show.

Anyway.... We headed down that night and we were willing to pay about $30-40 per ticket, for some good seats, which were $17.50 face value. But much to my surprise there were few sellers out side of Kemper arena, and the ones who had tickets wanted $100+ each. I scoffed... and we waited... and we walked and waited... and no sellers showed up. It was highly unusual. After The Stones came on stage, we hung around another 1/2 hour looking for tickets, before finally throwing in the towel.

SO... I missed the first night, which only made me bound and determined to see them the next night. I spent the next morning and afternoon scouring all my sources, and of course I came up with 2 whereever tickets to the 2nd show. We got in and "glided" the entire concert. We saw them from every angle, far straight away and close up from the side. At one point I even saw Ronnie and Keith run over to stage right and do something something before our eyes... and we kept moving.... waiting for "magic moment" when the security guards predciatably left their posts and the floor imploded and we surfed the chaos to front row right in front of Ronnie and Keith for the last 4 songs, living the awesomeness of the spectacularly colorful ballon drop. It was awesome. I took couple of great pictures from the front row of Keitrh and Ronnie, before running out of film. Those pix are posted somewhere here on IORR, but they are not of Taylor, so there is no reason to find them and post them in this thread.

Too long/didnt read
FWIW - The tickets to see the 1981 Taylor night in KC was a very very hard to get ticket outside the arena that night. It would have cost $100.00 outside to buy a ticket. A hundred Dollars may not sound like a lot now, but back in 1981 $100.00 was crazy money for an average ticket. Tickets were still only about 7-10 bucks... of course soon afterwards they jumped, but still $100.00 came a long time afterwards.

All through the early-mid 80s I used to have a friend who knew a record store owner, and that friend would sell me (his "other two" ) front row center tickets to most major concerts at Kemper for twice face value on a regular basis (he just wanted his 2 tickets for free, along with a good time concert buddy who could help handle the floor mobs if needed) and those tickets usually only cost me about $25-40 each.

Date: December 29, 2013 15:03

LuxuryStones

So actually you do like the 'Frankenstein era', if you don't mind me using that term. Sometimes you inspire me, you know.winking smiley

The taylor and Wood eras are The Supergroup Stones. Of course I still like some of the supergroup era, but it's not the original little R&B band pushing itself beyond it's limits. grinning smiley

Frankenstein goes for the odd ball studio creations featuring ye olde tracks with modern editing and overdubs. Like a 50 year old woman with sprayed on tan, face lift and fake tits.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2013 15:11

His Majesty

What ever shite was or wasn't going on with regards to volumes and egos, the sonic carpet of guitars weaving in, out and around each other throws up lots of ace little interactions.

thumbs up Different times and abilities indeed - they were much more free going, guitar driven and not bounded by so tight arrangements and the other show aspect necessities, and less routine-oriented plus helluva younger and wilder at the time. Now the only time they tried something to the effect was the early "Satisfaction" versions, which seemingly drove the principals mad, and so they took the electric guitar out of Taylor and gave him a harmless acoustic guitar to not mess with the Vegas show routines. On with the show.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 15:16 by Doxa.

Date: December 29, 2013 15:22

Keith is particularly ace on guitar during this time, he has definitely continued to develop as a player way past the "golden era", not a fan of some of the tones though. grinning smiley

Re: Mick Taylor in Hampton ´81
Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 16:40

pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251
I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Sounds like Taylor to my ears. Too fluent for Ronnie and certainly for Keith.

Sounds like Taylor to me too. I ask because I am surprised that 1) he was allowed to get that solo in; and 2) that it fits so nicely on a song he has never played before. Remarkable.

I have a daydream question that I ponder: Would there have been a Some Girls album with Taylor? From this performance of BoB I would say yes. Just different and interesting.

Sounds like Ronnie to me. Those hammer-ons sound like his work with The Faces.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:14

DandelionPowderman

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:31

Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251
I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Sounds like Taylor to my ears. Too fluent for Ronnie and certainly for Keith.

Sounds like Taylor to me too. I ask because I am surprised that 1) he was allowed to get that solo in; and 2) that it fits so nicely on a song he has never played before. Remarkable.

I have a daydream question that I ponder: Would there have been a Some Girls album with Taylor? From this performance of BoB I would say yes. Just different and interesting.

Sounds like Ronnie to me. Those hammer-ons sound like his work with The Faces.

Then this must be Ronnie's best solo ever with the Stones. But let Dandie, who's the real expert on both Ronnie and Mick T., decide who's playing this short solo.

Date: December 29, 2013 17:35

His Majesty
Keith is particularly ace on guitar during this time, he has definitely continued to develop as a player way past the "golden era", not a fan of some of the tones though. grinning smiley

It's nice to hear you saying that - finally smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2013 17:36

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

Yes, they were, and it's easy to prove as well grinning smiley

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:37

RawIguanaCologne
THANK YOU FOLKS!!!! HERE´S THE SOUNDBOARD VERSION

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Check out 1:16 mark as "You cant always get what you want" enters into the break and the 1981 sing along, it that Taylor playing throughout "the break" and the Mick's attempt to get the crowd singing?

I had heard that he did play unexpected solos and didn't conform to the 1981 arrangements, if this is Taylor during the sing along break kinda reminds me of the first performance of Rambler in 2012 where he was playing over everyone else in his excitement . . .

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home