Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:05

DandelionPowderman
It's Taylor. No doubt. Very impro, and not really suitable here, imo.

He does some cool things on BL and Imagination, though.

They all play pretty great on this, it all just works. The music seems at odds with the gossip and memories about the concert.

I take it this wasn't also recorded on multitrack? This would have made for a top bootleg series release, stereo mix and with lowered sax of course. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:08

BOB is not "great". But it's a good show indeed.

Date: December 30, 2013 02:08

Interesting then, interesting is great. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:10

It was interesting 10 years ago when I got the bootleg. Today: Nah...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:15

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

He does some cool things on BL and Imagination, though.

They all play pretty great on this, it all just works. The music seems at odds with the gossip and memories about the concert.

I take it this wasn't also recorded on multitrack? This would have made for a top bootleg series release, stereo mix and with lowered sax of course. grinning smiley

Heavens, we do agree again. That mustn't become a habit.

Date: December 30, 2013 02:16

DandelionPowderman

This is new to me. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:18

stonehearted

According to set list sources, MT comes in at song 10 (Let me Go) and remains for the rest of the set (total of 16 songs).

Hear Jagger say: thank you, Mick Taylor (or: Mick Taylor, thank you) after Black Limousine. Forget about the setlist sources.

Date: December 30, 2013 02:22

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:27

Let Me Go is wrong.

We got it confirmed in this thread that he joined in on Whip. Sounds likely to me, and I have listened a lot to this show smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:35

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Keith is particularly ace on guitar during this time, he has definitely continued to develop as a player way past the "golden era", not a fan of some of the tones though. grinning smiley

It's nice to hear you saying that - finally smiling smiley

Huh, i've said similar many times. smiling smiley

Keith advanced technically right up to and including the 90's.

Yes he did, but that doesn't mean that the band did also progress along the process...

- Doxa

Date: December 30, 2013 02:37

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Sure. But after 10 or more listens to other 81 shows it won't be that musically interesting anymore - as there are way better shows out there.

The "gathering" is interesting, of course.

Date: December 30, 2013 02:37

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
He missed the slow days with RTJ, JJF, ADTL, BS and MR?

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

Yes, they were, and it's easy to prove as well grinning smiley

They were played fast - except ADTL, BS, and MR - but tasty. Not furious, let alone ragged and rushed.

Except MR? Fastest ever in 73...

And the slowest as well... you have very selected ears...

- Doxa

Date: December 30, 2013 02:38

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
He missed the slow days with RTJ, JJF, ADTL, BS and MR?

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

Yes, they were, and it's easy to prove as well grinning smiley

They were played fast - except ADTL, BS, and MR - but tasty. Not furious, let alone ragged and rushed.

Except MR? Fastest ever in 73...

And the slowest as well... you have very selected ears...

Come on! Don't be stupid...

- Doxa

Date: December 30, 2013 02:40

Doxa

Yes he did, but that doesn't mean that the band did also progress along the process...

- Doxa

Or the songs. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:43

DandelionPowderman

Sure. But after 10 or more listens to other 81 shows it won't be that musically interesting anymore - as there are way better shows out there.

The "gathering" is interesting, of course.

10 or more listens!? Phew, you're expecting too much from me. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 02:45

DandelionPowderman

The leading anti-Taylorite here, no Taylor-related thread without a nasty remark... But the most happiest Rolling Stones fan since 1974 since no need to suffer of that guitar pullotion... unless that is given in a nice Vegas offering a'la external guitar solos, without anything to disturbing with the 'real thing'...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-30 02:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:52

I heard stuff in BOB that made it sound it belonged on Sticky Fingers... Taylor is a blues/pop guitar wizard.... Take for example the hooks he added to SFM, his irreverence for The Glimmers makes him a full fledged creative force. Ronnie acting as Keith's caddy shows the pro that he is but Taylor bows to no one and dares to lead and explore... After all he's a "lead guitarist."

Date: December 30, 2013 03:05

I guess Taylor is the only guitarist in the history of the Rolling Stones that you can actually throw on the stage without any rehearsal, without actually knowing the songs in particular, and do the thing... Does he 'fit' there with every note or not is not the thing - he will manage it anyhow, and they know it...

- Doxa

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 30, 2013 03:21

Doxa
I guess Taylor is the only guitarist in the history of the Rolling Stones that you can actually throw on the stage without any rehearsal, without actually knowing the songs in particular, and do the thing... Does he 'fit' there with every note or not is not the thing - he will manage it anyhow, and they know it...

- Doxa
At his best Taylor reacts to the moment in a manner that we no longer see in rock. The question, can he still do it? was answered for me when I saw him with Ronnie at The Cutting Room. He is always searching for the sweet spot, rather than simply compliment, he strives to elevate... While he may no longer be over aggressive fact is his spontaneity must be respected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-30 03:23 by DoomandGloom.

Date: December 30, 2013 05:44

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

The leading anti-Taylorite here, no Taylor-related thread without a nasty remark... But the most happiest Rolling Stones fan since 1974 since no need to suffer of that guitar pullotion... unless that is given in a nice Vegas offering a'la external guitar solos, without anything to disturbing with the 'real thing'...

- Doxa

Hey, that's before circa May 30th - June 8th 1969. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:29

I finally found the interview footage where MT talks about his appearance in KC and describes the music as "fast and furious" and that the show felt strange for him because the music seemed so different--it's from that unauthorized DVD series Just For The Record (the 80s). Starts at about 14:38 in the following link: [www.snagfilms.com]

Date: December 30, 2013 10:38

stonehearted
I finally found the interview footage where MT talks about his appearance in KC and describes the music as "fast and furious" and that the show felt strange for him because the music seemed so different--it's from that unauthorized DVD series Just For The Record (the 80s). Starts at about 14:38 in the following link: [www.snagfilms.com]

"sorry this film is not available in your country"... sad smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2013 10:58

Here, Doxa, try this dailymotion link. It used to be on YouTube until recently, but has since been taken down: [www.dailymotion.com]

Date: December 30, 2013 11:36

stonehearted
Here, Doxa, try this dailymotion link. It used to be on YouTube until recently, but has since been taken down: [www.dailymotion.com]

Thanks, but unfortunately the same problem...

- Doxa

Posted by: erad ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:01

Should be able to watch it through a proxy.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:13

His Majesty
LuxuryStones
His Majesty
Frankenstein goes for the odd ball studio creations featuring ye olde tracks with modern editing and overdubs. Like a 50 year old woman with sprayed on tan, face lift and fake tits.

I wonder what you would say if the initial tracks turned out to be only 5 years old.
No, actually I don't.. Jagger's and Taylor's overdubs are face lift and fake tits to you.grinning smiley

1) Just so you know, I feel the same way about the other overdubbed tracks which had no Taylor involvement.

2) Why not just get together to work on the incomplete songs and record them new with as much of the exile era band as possible? That would require too much effort of course, maybe show them up as not being fit for duty.

3) Cheaper and lazier to go the overdub route.

1) I don't know why you feel like that? Overdubs and edits are as old as the first
multitrack recorders. In the case of PMS there's a timespan of 4 decades between it, odd, but so what? It's the result that counts. I think Jagger did a good 'Frankenstein job'.

2) Right, I think they are too old to deliver the energy and quality that they had during exile era. I would require a lot of edits and overdubs to get a decent result. grinning smiley Even a guitar maniac like John McLaughlin is not the creative and fast player he used to be. I think you get my point.

3) Time is money indeed. Besides, they have nothing to prove anymore.

Date: December 30, 2013 12:34

LuxuryStones

1) I don't know why you feel like that? Overdubs and edits are as old as the first
multitrack recorders. In the case of PMS there's a timespan of 4 decades between it, odd, but so what? It's the result that counts. I think Jagger did a good 'Frankenstein job'.

It's obviously not overdubs and edits in themselves, it's overdubs and edits to tracks done 40 years ago to help shift a re re re re re re release of an album. They have changed greatly since then, especially their singing/playing.

The weirdness of it all comes through in the sound and music.

Some fake tits looks great, but I assume feel weird. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 12:55

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Oops, you "forgot" the rest of my post, where I complimented Taylor.

Childish.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 30, 2013 13:22

His Majesty
LuxuryStones

It's obviously not overdubs and edits in themselves, it's overdubs and edits to tracks done 40 years ago to help shift a re re re re re re release of an album. They have changed greatly since then, especially their singing/playing.

The weirdness of it all comes through in the sound and music.

Some fake tits looks great, but I assume feel weird. grinning smiley

I'm not that interested in the commercial ideas behind it.

We are repeating ourselves, HM. It's the fact that there's a timespan of 40 years between it that is bothering you, gives it a creepy feeling. They changed greatly like you say it, Taylor would have played different in the early 7-tees, and that goes for Jagger as well. Still the recent overdubs are no fake tits to me. Those tits are Mick Taylor and Jagger AD 2009 finishing a 40 years old track.. I like that experiment and I respect it.

Think different, or just ignore. I know it's not always easy.smiling smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 14:39

I only listen to it when it gets discussed to see what's what with regards to something in the convo's.

Ultimately, it's just weird listening. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home