Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:41

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
He missed the slow days with RTJ, JJF, ADTL, BS and MR?

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

Yes, they were, and it's easy to prove as well grinning smiley

They were played fast - except ADTL, BS, and MR - but tasty. Not furious, let alone ragged and rushed.

Re: Mick Taylor in Hampton ´81
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:42

kleermaker
pmk251
I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Sounds like Taylor to my ears. Too fluent for Ronnie and certainly for Keith.

Certainly for Keith? Ridiculous. "Only found out yesterday" is beautifully fluent and magically put together (fun to play as well)...and that's modern day Keith...

Trust in Keith that he can be as fluent as the intro to Knocking or as simple as Honky Tonk....it's his choice

Date: December 29, 2013 17:47

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Those songs weren't played "fast and furious" during Taylor's days at all the way they were in 81/82: ragged and rushed. Besides they played all songs that way, so that it seemed as if it was all one and the same 'song'. I heard it myself. Very boring.

They were played fast - except ADTL, BS, and MR - but tasty. Not furious, let alone ragged and rushed.

Except MR? Fastest ever in 73...

Date: December 29, 2013 17:48

Mr. Jimi
RawIguanaCologne
THANK YOU FOLKS!!!! HERE´S THE SOUNDBOARD VERSION

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Check out 1:16 mark as "You cant always get what you want" enters into the break and the 1981 sing along, it that Taylor playing throughout "the break" and the Mick's attempt to get the crowd singing?

It sure is Taylor, I can say that without confirmation of Dandie. Great playing. Btw. it's a pity the sound board recording isn't stereo. And then that everything and everyone dominating (annoying) saxophone!

Date: December 29, 2013 17:50

kleermaker
Mr. Jimi
RawIguanaCologne

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Check out 1:16 mark as "You cant always get what you want" enters into the break and the 1981 sing along, it that Taylor playing throughout "the break" and the Mick's attempt to get the crowd singing?

It sure is Taylor, I can say that without confirmation of Dandie. Great playing. Btw. it's a pity the sound board recording isn't stereo. And then that everything and everyone dominating (annoying) saxophone!

Way to go, kleerie! winking smiley

Date: December 29, 2013 17:51

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Except MR? Fastest ever in 73...

Not the whole song is played in one and the same (fast) tempo. At some places it's even slow. That's one of the factors that makes it great and incomparable with the performances of 81/82.

Date: December 29, 2013 17:55

Munichhilton
kleermaker
pmk251
I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Certainly for Keith? Ridiculous. "Only found out yesterday" is beautifully fluent and magically put together (fun to play as well)...and that's modern day Keith...

Trust in Keith that he can be as fluent as the intro to Knocking or as simple as Honky Tonk....it's his choice

The intros of Knocking and HTW aren't fluent in the same way Taylor plays. And that's the point here of course.

Date: December 29, 2013 17:58

Elaborate!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 29, 2013 18:25

Expand upon!

Date: December 29, 2013 18:26

DandelionPowderman
Elaborate!

Just listen. Saves me a difficult explanation. winking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 29, 2013 18:47

His Majesty
Frankenstein goes for the odd ball studio creations featuring ye olde tracks with modern editing and overdubs. Like a 50 year old woman with sprayed on tan, face lift and fake tits.

I wonder what you would say if the initial tracks turned out to be only 5 years old.
No, actually I don't.. Jagger's and Taylor's overdubs are face lift and fake tits to you.grinning smiley

Date: December 29, 2013 18:58

kleermaker
Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251

Sounds like Taylor to me too. I ask because I am surprised that 1) he was allowed to get that solo in; and 2) that it fits so nicely on a song he has never played before. Remarkable.

I have a daydream question that I ponder: Would there have been a Some Girls album with Taylor? From this performance of BoB I would say yes. Just different and interesting.

Sounds like Ronnie to me. Those hammer-ons sound like his work with The Faces.

Then this must be Ronnie's best solo ever with the Stones. But let Dandie, who's the real expert on both Ronnie and Mick T., decide who's playing this short solo.

Hey Dandie, please give us your final verdict!

Date: December 29, 2013 18:59

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Elaborate!

I thought you might find it difficult smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2013 19:07

kleermaker
kleermaker
Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251

Sounds like Taylor to me too. I ask because I am surprised that 1) he was allowed to get that solo in; and 2) that it fits so nicely on a song he has never played before. Remarkable.

I have a daydream question that I ponder: Would there have been a Some Girls album with Taylor? From this performance of BoB I would say yes. Just different and interesting.

Then this must be Ronnie's best solo ever with the Stones. But let Dandie, who's the real expert on both Ronnie and Mick T., decide who's playing this short solo.

Taylor starts interrupting in Ronnie's solo toward the ending, and starts forming a new theme at 51:30-ish...

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: December 29, 2013 19:15

DrPete
OutOfTime
ohcarol
I was there as was Dr.Pete! Cold night great show! I followed the band back to the Westin Crown Center hotel!
Wow! Great ohcarol!! Do you remember how long Mick Taylor was on stage? I listened some of the soundboard recording today and heard a MT solo on Black Limousine. Also there is a picture of Keith, MT and MJagger (jumping wide legged in front of MT) with all the balloons on the floor indicating MT was on Satisfaction (the last song of the show also in 1981)
This show is the missing link between The Mick Taylor Years (69-74) and the 50 and Counting Tour !!!
It was my first Stones concert and certainly a memorable one! I swear I saw MT Walk on after Whip and before Lstnt. AND I remember a KC Dj on KY102 mention that afternoon MT was in town and wouldn't it be cool IF he played on stage that night!! IT WAS SERIOUSLY COOL

I bet you don't forget something like this expecially if it's your first Stones concert and Let's spend The night together is a good title to get (a guest) MT on stage.
Are there more pictures of this show? Thank you Rockman.
Don't know why but I find it fascinating this happened in 1981 as an unrehearsed one off and now MT is "drilled" to play an acoustic only on Satisfaction and kept to a minimum of songs. Hope he get's more songs in 2014!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 29, 2013 19:30

EXACTLY! I was so concentrating and absorbing every bit of the concert that I could and even thought it odd that he came out on LSTNT, a song he'd never played. And remember when they first came on stage thinking " Over there, BILL WYMAN!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 19:31 by DrPete.

Date: December 29, 2013 19:33

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Elaborate!

I thought you might find it difficult smiling smiley

Music says more than words can do in this case. Explaining the obvious is one of the most difficult things on earth. Think of the constant questions by little kids: hardly to answer!

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 29, 2013 19:39

kleermaker
Mr. Jimi
RawIguanaCologne

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

OMG that sax is just to much and on the 82 shows its omipresent and changes their whole sound . . .

Date: December 29, 2013 19:54

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
kleermaker
Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251

Taylor starts interrupting in Ronnie's solo toward the ending, and starts forming a new theme at 51:30-ish...

Taylor's 'interruption' starts at 51:11.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 29, 2013 22:54

Mr. Jimi
kleermaker
Mr. Jimi
RawIguanaCologne

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

OMG that sax is just to much and on the 82 shows its omipresent and changes their whole sound . . .

Agreed..cant stand this tour due to many aspects..notably the huge amount of sax, micks voice, costumes, HTW, the corny keith and ron JJF vocals etc..

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 00:58

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
kleermaker
Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251

I still think it's Ronnie. Maybe you're confused because the notes are in tune, they're the proper pitch? Also, those notes sound like they're off of the board but I thought Taylor only had an amp on stage.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 30, 2013 01:10

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Keith is particularly ace on guitar during this time, he has definitely continued to develop as a player way past the "golden era", not a fan of some of the tones though. grinning smiley

It's nice to hear you saying that - finally smiling smiley

Huh, i've said similar many times. smiling smiley

Keith advanced technically right up to and including the 90's.

Date: December 30, 2013 01:17

LuxuryStones
His Majesty
Frankenstein goes for the odd ball studio creations featuring ye olde tracks with modern editing and overdubs. Like a 50 year old woman with sprayed on tan, face lift and fake tits.

I wonder what you would say if the initial tracks turned out to be only 5 years old.
No, actually I don't.. Jagger's and Taylor's overdubs are face lift and fake tits to you.grinning smiley

Just so you know, I feel the same way about the other overdubbed tracks which had no Taylor involvement.

Why not just get together to work on the incomplete songs and record them new with as much of the exile era band as possible? That would require too much effort of course, maybe show them up as not being fit for duty.

Cheaper and lazier to go the overdub route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-30 01:18 by His Majesty.

Date: December 30, 2013 01:23

The sax level on this is not that much louder than Taylor is on some of the 70's bootlegs. Really irritating when an instrument is overly loud and yer not a fan of the playing style innit? grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 01:45

His Majesty
The sax level on this is not that much louder than Taylor is on some of the 70's bootlegs. Really irritating when an instrument is overly loud and yer not a fan of the playing style innit? grinning smiley

This sax is making the guitars almost inaudible. Taylor never did that to Keith.

Date: December 30, 2013 01:46

Fuman2
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
kleermaker
Fuman2
pmk251
kleermaker
pmk251

I still think it's Ronnie. Maybe you're confused because the notes are in tune, they're the proper pitch? Also, those notes sound like they're off of the board but I thought Taylor only had an amp on stage.

When kleerie and Dandie agree on Taylor/Wood guitar playing you better believe them, because then it's the truth. smiling smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 01:53

kleermaker
His Majesty

This sax is making the guitars almost inaudible. Taylor never did that to Keith.

I didn't know you attended every Taylor era gig. grinning smiley On some audience bootlegs when Taylor plays he does kinda drown out Keith.

Of course, were Taylors guitar at the level the sax is you'd be saying this was best version or something. tongue sticking out smiley

Soundboards are soundboards. To be fair the level is not the saxophonists fault, not keen on his playing either though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-30 01:58 by His Majesty.

Date: December 30, 2013 01:56

It's Taylor. No doubt. Very impro, and not really suitable here, imo.

He does some cool things on BL and Imagination, though.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:01

Has anyone read Ian McLagan's book? He discusses Taylor's appearance in KC at one point. It appears that Taylor was invited at the last minute, once the band heard he was in the same town. As a result, his amp wasn't mic'd, so Taylor turned it way up, and this is the source of the annoyance that others on stage had over him being there, not the extended length of his performance. It was their show, so if they wanted him to leave after a couple of numbers they would have just said so. It wasn't that he wore out his welcome, but the volume of his amp was out of whack with others onstage. Ian Stewart actually got up and walked out at one point, because MT's amp was right next to Stu's piano.

So it wouldn't matter to hear the soundboard version, because MT's guitar wouldn't have gone through if it wasn't mic'd. And this is why some posters above are having difficulty divining Taylor's parts.

According to set list sources, MT comes in at song 10 (Let me Go) and remains for the rest of the set (total of 16 songs).

Date: December 30, 2013 02:05

Yep, All The Rage is one of the best. He's just saying the same as Ronnie said.

Taylor did fine, albeit he was being a bit off on some of the newer numbers, understandably.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home