Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 31, 2013 18:06

kleermaker
smokeydusky
His Majesty
Note the levels of the guitars and sax change throughout the concert, th sax gets boosted so much because it is so reliant on the mixer/pa for it's volume. I think it's very likley that all the guitars are loud onstage, but that Taylor has been mic'd up and is going through the soundboard mix as well. His sound is too direct sounding and fluctuating like the others. It's all as if someone is winging it more with the levels in order to incorporate the different dynamics of an additional guitarist who isn't used to playing with their set up and usual onstage levels.

1:13:47 Taylor plays his descending theme. His volume is low, but he is clearly playing along.
1:13:59 In the middle of one of Ronnie's lead runs, Jagger says something like, "Play some, Mick. Play some." Initially, not much can be heard from Taylor.
1:14:14 There is a sudden increase in Taylor's volume as he completes a part of the lick that he would repeat during the singalong two minutes later. The volume goes from practically nothing to very loud mid-phrase (we hear the final note of the "call" and then the full-volumed complete "response"). Seems more likely to have been the soundman waking up rather than Taylor's volume control.

Interesting posts. Jagger obviously wasn't pissed off.

Listen to all the remarks, all the 'dear oh dear's and 'what a guitar onslaught' and 'you gotta take it down' to the monitor man. Jagger clearly was agitated.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 31, 2013 18:34

Mathijs
kleermaker
smokeydusky
His Majesty
Note the levels of the guitars and sax change throughout the concert, th sax gets boosted so much because it is so reliant on the mixer/pa for it's volume. I think it's very likley that all the guitars are loud onstage, but that Taylor has been mic'd up and is going through the soundboard mix as well. His sound is too direct sounding and fluctuating like the others. It's all as if someone is winging it more with the levels in order to incorporate the different dynamics of an additional guitarist who isn't used to playing with their set up and usual onstage levels.

1:13:47 Taylor plays his descending theme. His volume is low, but he is clearly playing along.
1:13:59 In the middle of one of Ronnie's lead runs, Jagger says something like, "Play some, Mick. Play some." Initially, not much can be heard from Taylor.
1:14:14 There is a sudden increase in Taylor's volume as he completes a part of the lick that he would repeat during the singalong two minutes later. The volume goes from practically nothing to very loud mid-phrase (we hear the final note of the "call" and then the full-volumed complete "response"). Seems more likely to have been the soundman waking up rather than Taylor's volume control.

Interesting posts. Jagger obviously wasn't pissed off.

Listen to all the remarks, all the 'dear oh dear's and 'what a guitar onslaught' and 'you gotta take it down' to the monitor man. Jagger clearly was agitated.

Mathijs

Of course, he was coked up as usual during that tour. But he says Guitar onslaught, in a stating way, very cool, not agitated at all. In fact Sax Onslaught would be more appropriate. Anyway it's very likely there were some problems with the equipment. We simply don't know exactly what.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 31, 2013 18:36

Captainchaos
one thing thats not been talked about much is woods comment on Taylor overplaying

listening to the audience and the soundboard id say he's pretty restrained if anything really, at least alot more restrained than (Wood and) Bobby Keys in particular.

its an interesting spin on things

In a way all 3 guitarists are overplaying, but it's not that really, just lots of weaving going on, lots of interacting, listening jostling for position etc etc.

The dynamics of the rest of the band is pretty boring, the sax is irritating as @#$%&, but the guitars are throwing out intersting moments after interesting moments all over the place. hot smiley

They would re-conquer the world if they sounded even close to this now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-31 18:47 by His Majesty.

Date: December 31, 2013 19:02

What Bill plays isn't boring. Charlie was a bit robot-ish on this tour, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 1, 2014 02:50

His Majesty
Captainchaos
one thing thats not been talked about much is woods comment on Taylor overplaying

listening to the audience and the soundboard id say he's pretty restrained if anything really, at least alot more restrained than (Wood and) Bobby Keys in particular.

its an interesting spin on things

In a way all 3 guitarists are overplaying, but it's not that really, just lots of weaving going on, lots of interacting, listening jostling for position etc etc.

The dynamics of the rest of the band is pretty boring, the sax is irritating as @#$%&, but the guitars are throwing out intersting moments after interesting moments all over the place. hot smiley

They would re-conquer the world if they sounded even close to this now.

Yep..I think this would have sounded like a complete mess to jagger on stage..which would explain his comments.
Lots of twanging guitars..egos going nuts!
On this tour the guitars sounded especially "trebley" to me..certainly a guitar attack.
Dont mention the sax on this tour please...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-01 05:30 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 1, 2014 04:42

Why has there always been so much interest in this one show... yeah it was a great night,but still to be debated after all these years! So funny!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 1, 2014 07:07

Mathijs

Band intros. Taylor is announced. Not even a change in inflection.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 1, 2014 07:12

ohcarol
Why has there always been so much interest in this one show...

Because it is musically interesting.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: January 2, 2014 01:08

DandelionPowderman
What Bill plays isn't boring. Charlie was a bit robot-ish on this tour, though smiling smiley

Was this already the beginning of Charlie´s heroin and alcohol episode?

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 06:30

The Daily Union (KS)
December 16th 1981

Date: February 27, 2014 11:19

Interesting to see Beast Of Burden named as "older material" smiling smiley

Thanks for posting! thumbs up

Re: Mick Taylor in Hampton ´81
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 27, 2014 20:49

RawIguanaCologne
THANK YOU FOLKS!!!! HERE´S THE SOUNDBOARD VERSION

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Listen to the piano on "Let me go" - that's how it should be.

Re: Mick Taylor in Hampton ´81
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: February 27, 2014 21:06

strat72
TheGreek
TeaAtThree
Mick T plays in Kansas City for a substantial portion of the show -- I have a boot entitled "Mick Taylor We Love You and We'll Always Do" (sic).

You really can't hear him at all on the boot, but he was there for a good portion of the show.

I recall Mick J at one points refers to the "guitar onslaught." I'm sure there are threads around here that someone can find.

T@3
never mind the bootleg. get a hold of the soundboard and that is where the magic of mick taylor is wow wow wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and according to Ronnie, Keith was so pissed off with Taylor, he had to be restrained. Most likely one of Ronnie's bullshit stories, but who knows? I still say that it is Keith that wants to limit Mick T's involvement in the current setup, and not Jagger as everyone assumes.

yeah right up there with Ronnie asked to be the guitar player in Led Zep!?!

this has been discussed in detail before, taking out the hearsay and just listening to both the soundboard and the bootleg, the ones overplaying BIGTIME are the super sub Saxophone player, and one Ronnie Wood..

with regards to him being superloud on stage, well thats something that only the band could really confirm as they ere the ones on stage & closest

i would say that "Beast Of Burden' with the 3 guitars is loveley, and the outro lick Taylor comes up with is a blinder, its not a lead per say, but its a great little riff!

I'd love to hear the stones with 3 players who give each other space and all interplay, tunes like 'BoB' & the recent 'Slippin Away' show it can come off and sound great!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 28, 2014 00:10

Is there an audience tape out there? Jagger sounds pretty wound (coked) up (Going to a Go-Go-"We're gonna @#$%& all night"). He first introduces Mick Taylor before Let Me Go (40:00 on the post above). I've heard stuff about how Taylor wasn't mike'd for the soundboard, etc, yet was too loud. but I don't know anything about that, so what's up? Why isn't he audible?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 20, 2015 00:02

..I like very much the guitars'sound...one of the best Stones live recordings

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2015 13:41

this is the show the stones should release as the next official live bootleg in dvd / cd. this show is one of the best of all time live concerts in all of music history .the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 20, 2015 22:46

If it was that good for Mick and the band you'd have think he'd have been invited back a bit sooner. I thought it was great, love the extra guitar and the more improvisational nature it brought to the show. But I suspect Keith and Ronnie were less than excited about sharing the musical palette with Taylor and I agree with Mathijs that Mick was probably a bit thrown off by the extra guitar and not entirely happy about it.

Funny to compare this free playing, confident MT to the one who played the last tour, where he played when and where he was told to. peace

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 20, 2015 23:41

....That's what I call a full sound !!!! Quick, an official issue !!!!

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home