Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Plundered my Soul...Mick Taylor's involvement????
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: December 25, 2013 22:36

Keith says in a Guitar World

Richards also speaks fondly of his former Stones co-guitarist Mick Taylor, who joined in 1969 as a replacement for founding member Brian Jones. But Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says. “If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”

Mick Taylor says in Guitar World

even joining Jagger in the studio in 2010 to overdub guitar onto "Plundered My Soul," a leftover song from the Exile on Main St. sessions.

Mick Jagger says in Rolling Stone

for one cut, "Plundered My Soul," Jagger brought Taylor, who quit the Stones in 1974, into a London studio for a couple of hours last fall to put on "those Mick Taylor lead lines."

Don Was says Examiner.com

Was noted that Richards spent three days in New York to record his parts for the bonus tracks, and that Mick Jagger had not seen guitarist Mick Taylor in twenty five-years. As far as Taylor’s newly added licks he contributed, Was commented that Taylor “knocked them out in an hour.”

What's the truth???? Keith out to lunch here????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-25 22:40 by mrpaulincanada.

Re: Plundered my Soul...Mick Taylor's involvement????
Date: December 25, 2013 23:05

Keith didn't know. Taylor played indeed. A Mick decision.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 25, 2013 23:12

It appears that Keith wasn't around when Mick Taylor did his parts--it was just Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor working together to finish that song, which is something Keith might not be comfortable with (perhaps he was jealous that MJ asked MT to work on something without KR's involvement?). At the time, the Stones camp as a whole was mum on the possibility of Mick Taylor's involvement in those sessions, but since then everyone but Keith seems to acknowledge it.

Speaking of Guitar World, Mick Taylor himself discusses his involvement in an interview from 2012.

About two years ago, you finished up an old Rolling Stones song, “Plundered My Soul,” for the 2010 deluxe reissue of Exile on Main St. Was that a bizarre experience for you?

Yeah, it was one of Mick’s songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn’t have a vocal on it and it didn’t have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well.

It’s not typical of Exile On Main St. -- it’s just that it was recorded during that period. It’s got backup vocals and things on it that were done a couple of years ago. The original track is just sort of Keith’s rhythm guitar, Bill Wyman’s bass playing and Charlie Watts’ drumming, and it’s very raw. But yes, that was the last song I played with Mick. I’ve actually played with all those guys, including Bill Wyman and also Ronnie Wood, most recently. But I did a few shows with Bill and some tracks on a couple of his albums.

Full interview at: [www.guitarworld.com]

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 26, 2013 02:43

Article from Rolling Stone Magazine
"The Secrets Behind the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street Reissue"
(definitely an appropriate title)
Date: 9 March 2010.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Question: I heard a rumor somewhere that you guys brought in Mick Taylor to overdub some things. Is that true at all?
Don Was: 'I'm not saying it's not true. I'm simply not going to deny'.

So... he's not denying it - because he knows it did happen. For some reason they decided not to say a word to Keith about it.

I don't know why Don Was alleged that Jagger hadn't seen Mick Taylor in 25 years. Taylor was backstage at Stones concerts at Wembley (Bridges to Babylon Tour) and Astoria (Licks Tour). So it could not really have been that long.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 26, 2013 15:46

One of the oddest times in stones history.

Maybe Jagger had read the pre-release Life and decided to play some games with Richards. grinning smiley

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 26, 2013 16:05

So why is the song so bad?

Date: December 27, 2013 10:33

Because it's a looping outtake?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2013 11:20

RockinJive

I think it's one of the best things they've done since Tattoo You and Undercover actually.

Mathijs

Date: December 27, 2013 14:02

DandelionPowderman

I thought it might be, but closer listening reveals differences throughout.

Date: December 27, 2013 14:10

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

For Keith as well? Sounds like three variations tops?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 27, 2013 16:29

DandelionPowderman

That 'loop feel' is the spine of the song, imo. I love it.

Date: December 27, 2013 16:31

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

That 'loop feel' is the spine of the song, imo. I love it.

Yeah, I know what you mean - although I suspect Keith only played a small guitar part for this song.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 27, 2013 16:39

I noticed this at the time. Thought it was indicative of how much the reissue projects were driven by Mick -- i.e., totally. Keith did the Keith thing and cackled something along the lines of "I didn't want to mess with Exile too much; it's sacred..." Translated: Mick did all the work!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 27, 2013 16:42

Mel Belli
I noticed this at the time. Thought it was indicative of how much the reissue projects were driven by Mick -- i.e., totally. Keith did the Keith thing and cackled something along the lines of "I didn't want to mess with Exile too much; it's sacred..." Translated: Mick did all the work!

If by 'all the work' you mean Mick made sure we got such gems as Plundered and River you could be right...oh and thanks so much for Don't Be A Stranger...another great choice...the Stones legacy being tampered with by the least concerned Stone...

Date: December 27, 2013 16:42

Mel Belli

Keith played a new solo and some licks on So Divine + a guitar track on Dancing In The Light. Probably some vocals as well.

So in fact, Keith was more involved in the Exile Deluxe recordings than in the SG Deluxe-project...

Date: December 27, 2013 16:47

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

For Keith as well? Sounds like three variations tops?

Hmm, dunno. A convo here made me go and listen to see if it was looped, but I recall noticing differences in the drums, bass and electric rhythm guitar on all verses etc.

Could be wrong though. smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2013 03:34

I'm only talking about Keith's guitar. Bill is certainly playing through the whole thing.

Date: December 28, 2013 03:39

DandelionPowderman
I'm only talking about Keith's guitar. Bill is certainly playing through the whole thing.

The electric?

Date: December 28, 2013 03:41

Yep. The acoustic is a new Jagger overdub.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 28, 2013 04:58

Mathijs
RockinJive

I think it's one of the best things they've done since Tattoo You and Undercover actually.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 28, 2013 05:14

71Tele
Mathijs
RockinJive

Mathijs

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: December 28, 2013 18:05

I don't care if it's looped and spliced together, etc, - I like Doom and Gloom, but this song IS the best new release in 30 years for them, with the caveat being that I'm talking about the UK single version - which has MT's solos cranked up - vs. the US version which has them buried.

Another example of how dysfunctional they are when it comes to what they release - I swear they purposely buried MT on the US version since Keith lives in the US and probably doesn't have a UK iTunes account...

Date: December 28, 2013 18:15

Yes, better to hear Taylor more and cover over the subtle horns etc. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 28, 2013 18:27

Jimmy C
I swear they purposely buried MT on the US version since Keith lives in the US and probably doesn't have a UK iTunes account...

Huh?

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: December 28, 2013 18:36

That was a joke that Keith couldn't buy or listen to the UK single since he lives in the US. (You can't buy the UK single version if you live in the US on iTunes as iTunes basis what you can buy on where your iTunes account is registered)

The point being, it does seem like an odd coincidence that Keith was clueless MT was even on the song, AND that the US single and album version all but wipes MT's stuff out. Why two versions when the UK version is so much better?

Date: December 28, 2013 19:02

Nonsense, he's still clearly heard on the US and album version.

Date: December 28, 2013 19:06

Jimmy C
I don't care if it's looped and spliced together, etc, - I like Doom and Gloom, but this song IS the best new release in 30 years for them, with the caveat being that I'm talking about the UK single version - which has MT's solos cranked up - vs. the US version which has them buried.

Another example of how dysfunctional they are when it comes to what they release - I swear they purposely buried MT on the US version since Keith lives in the US and probably doesn't have a UK iTunes account...

How Can I Stop is light years better, imo.

Is PMS better because Taylor's guitar is louder?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 28, 2013 19:43

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Keith played a new solo and some licks on So Divine + a guitar track on Dancing In The Light. Probably some vocals as well.

So in fact, Keith was more involved in the Exile Deluxe recordings than in the SG Deluxe-project...

So that's probably the reason the SG project was twice as good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2013 19:51

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Too bad what Keith did on So Devine stinks. What Taylor did on Plundered is brilliant.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2013 19:53

Jimmy C
That was a joke that Keith couldn't buy or listen to the UK single since he lives in the US. (You can't buy the UK single version if you live in the US on iTunes as iTunes basis what you can buy on where your iTunes account is registered)

The point being, it does seem like an odd coincidence that Keith was clueless MT was even on the song, AND that the US single and album version all but wipes MT's stuff out. Why two versions when the UK version is so much better?

So that mix remains only available in the UK on iTunes and is not anywhere else? They should have put it on GRRRR - perhaps then I would have been interested in buying that worthless thing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home