Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Keith on 'Street Fighting Man' - Wall Street Journal, December 11
Date: December 20, 2013 02:59

The technology was electric, as was the sound?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 20, 2013 03:06

DandelionPowderman

All instruments with a pick up stuck on them are electric.

The use of transducer type pick up is mainly used to try and replicate the acoustic sound. This is why they are found on most modern electro-acoustic instruments.

Date: December 20, 2013 10:08

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

All instruments with a pick up stuck on them are electric.

The use of transducer type pick up is mainly used to try and replicate the acoustic sound. This is why they are found on most modern electro-acoustic instruments.

Right. I was very drunk posting last night. He he, I know. Dunno what I was thinking of. Heck, forget it, you're right smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2013 11:04

Anyway.

Maybe for the next shows Keith should play JJF on an acoustic, into the microphone of a vintage Philips cassette recorder, plugged into the PA.>grinning smiley<

..and maybe Line 6 could come up with a JJF patch for their Variax winking smiley

Date: December 20, 2013 13:25

A little Philips-set would be awesome!

SFM
New Song
JJF
Parachute Woman

winking smiley

Date: December 20, 2013 14:24

Betcha the Doom and Gloom riff would have sounded good through that.

I reckon Kasabian had that sound in mind when they recorded this...

Date: March 20, 2014 18:42

Date: March 20, 2014 18:47

His Majesty

thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 20, 2014 21:39

Yes yes yes! Thanks HM! I need one of those. Where can i buy one???

Date: March 20, 2014 22:18

Redhotcarpet
Yes yes yes! Thanks HM! I need one of those. Where can i buy one???

I got mine on ebay.

Unless the seller has changed the drive belts you will most likely have a clean up job ahead of you as the old belts turn to a tar like substance and make quite a mess inside the machine. Takes ages to get rid of it all.

Replacement belts are easily found on ebay as well.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-20 22:19 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: March 20, 2014 22:44

Have you experimented with getting even closer to the mic? From the way Keith tells it, ive always imagined him leaning right over the machine 2 or 3 inches away.

Date: March 20, 2014 23:33

There's gotta be a balance somewhere, where even more of the acoustic ringing sound almost disappears. Or will it be to distorted, His Majesty?

Date: March 21, 2014 00:38

There's no need to go right in to get the sound and I doubt he had it right in close because doing so tends to make the lower frequencies overtake all of the sound.

Keep in mind Charlie played basic pattern on his travel drum set and Brian sitar on the basic cassette recording for SFM. They also would have for sure done compression and eq once thay had it on the 8 track.

There's a level control for recording and a level control for playback. This thing overloads very easily, combination of full on level when recording, then full on level when playing back makes it sound like your playing through an intense fuzz pedal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 00:44 by His Majesty.

Date: March 21, 2014 00:53

That´s true.

I used to record my band in rehearsal with an old cassette recorder some years ago. I played with a medium clean sound, and it was vocals, bass and drums as well. Because of the instruments/speakers placing in the room, only the guitar got distorted. The other instruments came across excellently in the recording, sounding wonderful. And the "fake" distortion fit like a glove to the sound mix.

That´s the closest experiment to this I´ve done with a similar kind of recording.

It was a Phillips from the mid-late 70s, I believe. Still have the tapes smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2014 00:55

For those that want to get one, either of these will do much the same job...

The very first one EL3300 fom 1963/64, the El3301 from circa 1965/66 or the El3302 from circa 1967/68.

I think it is likley that Keith used the EL3302 for SFM, JJF and PW as that was the first one to have a dedicated speaker out. A line out can be taken from all 3 of them though.

They appeared under different brand names as well because Philips allowed free license of the design.

The key thing to avoid is any cassette recorder that doesn't have a level control for recording and has what is called AGC, Automatic Gain Control. AGC will push the level down when it gets too much or push the level up when the signal is weak. This can give recordings a kind of swooshing effect as the levels are automatically brought to optimum level.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 01:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 16, 2014 02:02

For those of you who'd watched Jeopardy! everyday since the fall of 1984, I'd like to tell you the whole police-siren aspect can be found in its theme song "A Time for Tony" that you hear at the start and during the "Final Jeopardy!" round.

~Ben

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home