Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Doom And Gloom - Sweet Summer Sun
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:55

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam
I think the Stones occasionally write songs to attract younger fans to the music, and I see nothing wrong with that. When a person, aged 18 to 29, hears D and G, he may buy the new CD and acquaint himself with many other Stones classics. I enjoy seeing younger fans at concerts. They are the ones most likely to sing and yell and scream and dance and truly enjoy themselves.

You're out of touch. I'm 18 and the notion that Doom and Gloom is what could have made me a fan of the Stones is almost offensive.

Well said, Bastion. I think it is more that Mick is trying to write something that seems 'modern' at least to him, but isn't. Like adding the mild rap overdub to Anybody Seen My Baby would attract a younger crowd. Both are poorly/lazily written songs - filler at best. I'd rather that they cover some obscure blues or rock-n-roll than put out bad original music at this point. No newly released music from the Stones has enhanced their legacy since maybe Steel Wheels....and that was really just to show they they at least had something in the tank after melting down in the mid-80s. They either don't have the writing skills left to put together an album, or are working with production help that is not pushing them, or just don't care enough...or all 3.

Thought for record store day: 4 song EP covering Chuck Berry and other early rock n roll.

Many young non-Stones fans like it smiling smiley

I haven't liked the live versions of this song but I do like the studio version in and of itself.

I do think One More Shot is the weaker of the two, but it seemed to work better live for some reason.

I agree. Something is always happening when Keith is in charge of the guitar departement, instead of merely filling in like on D&G, imo.

I think you are on to something there...Keith cares more about 'his' songs and it shows in the live performance.

I'll reiterate though that I think D&G was great...it was a low point in the Toronto concert though, that and Rocks Off (which is too bad as that is certainly in my top 10 of all their songs).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:57

DandelionPowderman
For the masses, you mean?

I love the song. A fresh sound at thectime, great singing and wonderful playing.

I added "artistically and reception-wise" for not hitting the mark. That the masses didn't like it, just tells that the Stones couldn't reach them any longer convincingly no matter how 'contemporary' they tried to sound. That it was too 'controversial' lyricwise is bullshit. Damn, here in Finland we couldn't understand a shit about it tried to state (like most of international hit songs), but despite that not much impact (no matter how much the old critics tried to push it; the kids just weren't convinced).

I loved the song at the time, and thought exactly the way you did, but what I recall the 'world' thinking of it was just that the video seemed to cause any bigger interest.

- Doxa

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 9, 2013 22:24

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I love the song. A fresh sound at thectime, great singing and wonderful playing.

I added "artistically and reception-wise" for not hitting the mark. That the masses didn't like it, just tells that the Stones couldn't reach them any longer convincingly no matter how 'contemporary' they tried to sound. That it was too 'controversial' lyricwise is bullshit. Damn, here in Finland we couldn't understand a shit about it tried to state (like most of international hit songs), but despite that not much impact (no matter how much the old critics tried to push it; the kids just weren't convinced).

I loved the song at the time, and thought exactly the way you did, but what I recall the 'world' thinking of it was just that the video seemed to cause any bigger interest.

- Doxa

In England at least this is just not true....It may not have done much in the charts but it got to have quite a status in nightclubs with loads of young people dancing and getting raucus with the chorus..........ala "we don't need no education..............we don't need your doom & gloom..............probably a lot of them didn't even know it was the Stones......

Many years ago, I drove a mini cab for a while, playing Dirty work with 2 girls on board, dancing in their seats..........one said "this is good drive, who is it?".........
Me, "The Rolling Stones"
One to the other, "We're listening to the @#$%& ing Rolling Stones!!!!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 22:30 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 9, 2013 22:26

Please stop associating musical ignorance solely with age.

Date: November 9, 2013 22:29

Bastion
Please stop associating musical ignorance solely with age.

but reverse agism is the new agism!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 9, 2013 22:41

Wonderful!

It makes me long for a whole new studio album, from which not only one, but several songs could enter the setlists. Then to be able myself once again to be in the attendance for such revitalized concerts.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 9, 2013 22:43

At 46 years and a fan since I was 12 or so I really like D&G. It is a great late career effort and a solid rock n roll tune. It has a feel and creates a positive reaction for many rock fans and non-rck fans alike. As for the drums, oh man, I have trouble with the digital drums and the "nothing like Charlie" fills. It did manage to create a more modern polished sound but rock n roll is all feel and to me must be 100% human played. As for OMS, can't even listen the whole way through! Boring!

Date: November 9, 2013 22:47

EddieByword
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

In England at least this is just not true....It may not have done much in the charts but it got to have quite a status in nightclubs with loads of young people dancing and getting raucus with the chorus..........ala "we don't need no education..............we don't need your doom & gloom..............probably a lot of them didn't even know it was the Stones......

I guess you mean "Doom And Gloom" - DandelionPowderman and I were already freshing our memory about "Undercover of The Night" when we were kids...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 9, 2013 23:20

Doxa
EddieByword
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I guess you mean "Doom And Gloom" - DandelionPowderman and I were already freshing our memory about "Undercover of The Night" when we were kids...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Ahhh right, sorry, that's what you get for opening your gob before 'you' know what you're taliking about..........grinning smiley

A big problem for Undercover in England was the vid got banned on the BBC and they weren't over enthusiastic about playing on the radio........and probably too political & heavy for a 'joyious' night out at the disco............the album did fairly well, no 3 and 18 weeks in the top 50...........

Date: November 9, 2013 23:24

EddieByword
Doxa
EddieByword
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

- Doxa

Ahhh right, sorry, that's what you get for opening your gob before 'you' know what you're taliking about..........grinning smiley

A big problem for Undercover in England was the vid got banned on the BBC and they weren't over enthusiastic about playing on the radio........and probably too political & heavy for a 'joyious' night out at the disco............the album did fairly well, no 3 and 18 weeks in the top 50...........

I think though this album was overall a weak seller, when you compare it to the three previous, Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue and Some Girls (let's leave SITS to the side). It wasn't overly commercial, especially the lead single and I think that's one of the reasons I appreciated it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 10, 2013 14:42

windmelody
Doom and gloom is a decent song that works well liv e in my opinion. It is not a Stones classic of course. I agree that One more shot is a caricature of a Stones song.

One More Shot was composed by Keef and Steve for the solo album with the X-Pensive Winos. And I think the final result would have been much better.
Played with the Stones and sung so bad and forced by Mick (even with those ridiculous 'na-na-na-na-na') has become "a caricature of a Stones song".

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 10, 2013 14:52

D&G is a great Stones song, IMO. One of the best (if not THE best) "rockers" since "One Hit To The Body" or "Highwire".

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:14

It is a great song but it sounds like crap played live. In the chorus Mick is always out of sync with Lisa and Bernard, why not sing at the same time ? And also it's played way too fast = no groove.

Date: November 10, 2013 15:24

TheBlockbuster
It is a great song but it sounds like crap played live. In the chorus Mick is always out of sync with Lisa and Bernard, why not sing at the same time ? And also it's played way too fast = no groove.

...even One More Shot sounds like crap played live.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:45

KRiffhard
TheBlockbuster

...even One More Shot sounds like crap played live.

Ofcourse they sound like crap, because both songs ARE CRAP.
jeroen

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:18

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam
I think the Stones occasionally write songs to attract younger fans to the music, and I see nothing wrong with that. When a person, aged 18 to 29, hears D and G, he may buy the new CD and acquaint himself with many other Stones classics. I enjoy seeing younger fans at concerts. They are the ones most likely to sing and yell and scream and dance and truly enjoy themselves.

You're out of touch. I'm 18 and the notion that Doom and Gloom is what could have made me a fan of the Stones is almost offensive.

Well said, Bastion. I think it is more that Mick is trying to write something that seems 'modern' at least to him, but isn't. Like adding the mild rap overdub to Anybody Seen My Baby would attract a younger crowd. Both are poorly/lazily written songs - filler at best. I'd rather that they cover some obscure blues or rock-n-roll than put out bad original music at this point. No newly released music from the Stones has enhanced their legacy since maybe Steel Wheels....and that was really just to show they they at least had something in the tank after melting down in the mid-80s. They either don't have the writing skills left to put together an album, or are working with production help that is not pushing them, or just don't care enough...or all 3.

Thought for record store day: 4 song EP covering Chuck Berry and other early rock n roll.

I haven't liked the live versions of this song but I do like the studio version in and of itself.

I do think One More Shot is the weaker of the two, but it seemed to work better live for some reason.

I agree. Something is always happening when Keith is in charge of the guitar departement, instead of merely filling in like on D&G, imo.

I think you are on to something there...Keith cares more about 'his' songs and it shows in the live performance.

I'll reiterate though that I think D&G was great...it was a low point in the Toronto concert though, that and Rocks Off (which is too bad as that is certainly in my top 10 of all their songs).

I don't know how Don Was works, or anyone else on the current production star works. Are they 'yes man'? Nice guys who know a studio. But I think that even on songs where Mick or Keith has a possibly good lyric or hook, that they need a REAL producer to come in and push the song, the recording, the arranging, to be the best it can be. I get the impression it is now more about keeping the peace, not offending or pushing anyone - and making it sound modern....and it has been that way, at least partly, for a long time. A formula for mediocrity.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:50

Great song

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 23:31

Love D&G! I'm not surprised it got so much airplay. Good stuff....

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: November 11, 2013 15:08

It's a f**** great song, but it's a pity that it doesn't belong to a real album

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 11, 2013 15:12

Cant wait to see and hear it, at the cinema!!!

Date: November 11, 2013 15:17

buffalo7478
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I don't know how Don Was works, or anyone else on the current production star works. Are they 'yes man'? Nice guys who know a studio. But I think that even on songs where Mick or Keith has a possibly good lyric or hook, that they need a REAL producer to come in and push the song, the recording, the arranging, to be the best it can be. I get the impression it is now more about keeping the peace, not offending or pushing anyone - and making it sound modern....and it has been that way, at least partly, for a long time. A formula for mediocrity.

I agree totally!

In the documentary "Being Mick", you can see producer Marti Fredriksen pushing Mick while recording "Too Far Gone" that way - even interfering with how he does certain phrases.

I don't know if that scene in the docu was staged, but seemingly the Stones need a tougher producer.

Date: November 11, 2013 16:00

DandelionPowderman

I don't know if that scene in the docu was staged, but seemingly the Stones need a tougher producer.

For what? During the last eight years they have spent some four days in the studio making new music...

- Doxa

Date: November 11, 2013 16:03

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

For what? During the last eight years they have spent some four days in the studio making new music...

- Doxa

A tougher producer helps no matter how many songs you record and produce.

Maybe we could have had someone with the balls to omit the "na-na-na" in OMS winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 11, 2013 16:10

buffalo7478
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

hot smileysmileys with beer
Good One !!
jeroen

Date: November 11, 2013 16:34

DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I agree totally!

In the documentary "Being Mick", you can see producer Marti Fredriksen pushing Mick while recording "Too Far Gone" that way - even interfering with how he does certain phrases.

thumbs up

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 11, 2013 17:25

D&G is great! 'Nuff said.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 11, 2013 17:51

Strange thing is that it went down really well at Glastonbury. I was surrounded by groups of 18 -25 year olds and as soon as it kicked in they were screaming and singing along. Maybe Mick knows better than us. I do think it's better than anything that came off ABB though

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 11, 2013 18:20

I think it's a great song, then everyone has their own tastes, but it is a very good hit!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 11, 2013 18:30

It a great song. It kicks ass.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 23:50

crumbling_mice
Strange thing is that it went down really well at Glastonbury. I was surrounded by groups of 18 -25 year olds and as soon as it kicked in they were screaming and singing along. Maybe Mick knows better than us. I do think it's better than anything that came off ABB though

What are you talking about? The vast majority on here like it!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home