Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Doom And Gloom - Sweet Summer Sun
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:06

Re: Doom And Gloom - Sweet Summer Sun
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 9, 2013 04:34

I still like it. The more trad studio version, remix with "drum machines" haha and live. grinning smiley

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 9, 2013 05:34

What the hell happened to the Stones as song writers? This is just trash compared there earlier music and it's hard to believe the same people wrote this crap.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: November 9, 2013 06:35

Awful. Mick's singing is terrible on this.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2013 10:38

rob51
What the hell happened to the Stones as song writers? This is just trash compared there earlier music and it's hard to believe the same people wrote this crap.

Agree, though it saddens me to say so

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2013 10:50

paulywaul
rob51

Agree, though it saddens me to say so

And as for One More Shot ....... that is merely heaping insult upon injury in my humble opinion. Simply AWFUL !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 9, 2013 14:08

Best single since Love Is Strong. lol grinning smiley

Date: November 9, 2013 14:14

I like it, like it, yes I do! thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 9, 2013 14:28

rob51

Great chorus though.......Like it or not, Mick's plugged in somewhat to the zeitgeist, night clubs all over Britain this year were full of kids and 20 somethings singing along......"all I hear is Doom & Gloom......... cool smiley

...."I had a dream last night I was a singer in a band, fanbase gave me money like they had all gone mad.............
I didn't mind though 'cos it keeps me in the Ritz and when my daughter gets married we're all gonna get blitzed..........."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 17:05 by EddieByword.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 9, 2013 14:51

I think the Stones occasionally write songs to attract younger fans to the music, and I see nothing wrong with that. When a person, aged 18 to 29, hears D and G, he may buy the new CD and acquaint himself with many other Stones classics. I enjoy seeing younger fans at concerts. They are the ones most likely to sing and yell and scream and dance and truly enjoy themselves.

rob51 wrote: What the hell happened to the Stones as song writers? This is just trash compared their earlier music and it's hard to believe the same people wrote this crap. My response is: Are you serious? Ever listened to the lyrics to Bitch? The lyrics are simple and repetitive, along the lines of Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Sugar is Sweet, and So are You. Bitch is one of my all time favorites, but the lyrics are amateurish.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:05

flilflam
I think the Stones occasionally write songs to attract younger fans to the music, and I see nothing wrong with that. When a person, aged 18 to 29, hears D and G, he may buy the new CD and acquaint himself with many other Stones classics. I enjoy seeing younger fans at concerts. They are the ones most likely to sing and yell and scream and dance and truly enjoy themselves.

You're out of touch. I'm 18 and the notion that Doom and Gloom is what could have made me a fan of the Stones is almost offensive.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:20

Bastion
flilflam

You're out of touch. I'm 18 and the notion that Doom and Gloom is what could have made me a fan of the Stones is almost offensive.

Well said, Bastion. I think it is more that Mick is trying to write something that seems 'modern' at least to him, but isn't. Like adding the mild rap overdub to Anybody Seen My Baby would attract a younger crowd. Both are poorly/lazily written songs - filler at best. I'd rather that they cover some obscure blues or rock-n-roll than put out bad original music at this point. No newly released music from the Stones has enhanced their legacy since maybe Steel Wheels....and that was really just to show they they at least had something in the tank after melting down in the mid-80s. They either don't have the writing skills left to put together an album, or are working with production help that is not pushing them, or just don't care enough...or all 3.

Thought for record store day: 4 song EP covering Chuck Berry and other early rock n roll.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:23

rob51

Yeah, I hate the fact they can't write songs like they did in their 20's and 30's while being 70. Pricks! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:24

Truly a great single. Great groove.

Live, in London 2012 it didn't impress me. Something didn't work well in the change from verse to chorus, probably Jagger too busy with his guitar.

But at HP it truly worked well.

C

Date: November 9, 2013 15:38

buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

Well said, Bastion. I think it is more that Mick is trying to write something that seems 'modern' at least to him, but isn't. Like adding the mild rap overdub to Anybody Seen My Baby would attract a younger crowd. Both are poorly/lazily written songs - filler at best. I'd rather that they cover some obscure blues or rock-n-roll than put out bad original music at this point. No newly released music from the Stones has enhanced their legacy since maybe Steel Wheels....and that was really just to show they they at least had something in the tank after melting down in the mid-80s. They either don't have the writing skills left to put together an album, or are working with production help that is not pushing them, or just don't care enough...or all 3.

Thought for record store day: 4 song EP covering Chuck Berry and other early rock n roll.

Many young non-Stones fans like it smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:47

DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I haven't liked the live versions of this song but I do like the studio version in and of itself.

I do think One More Shot is the weaker of the two, but it seemed to work better live for some reason.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2013 15:59

buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I think you are a spot on here saying "Mick is trying to write that seems 'modern'". Hell, he hadn't been able to convince anyone by 'contemporary sounds' for decades now, and least the people who are not already his fans. I think about the only ones who might be impressed of his flirtings with contemporary sounds are old farts like me - a long-time Rolling Stones fan - who loves to hear something 'novel' or at least different from him - just for a chance (I like "Doom And Gloom").

If we leave our personal preferences out, I guess "Miss You" was about the last time Jagger was able to charm new audiences with a contemporary sounding song (and one way to intepret his trendy-flirting songs ever since has been trying to write a follower to it). "Start Me Up" was probably the last singular new song that gathered a huge new interest on his doings, but it was a retro-sounding piece - a classical Stones rocker - already back in 1981. A kind of thing "Love is Strong" was later, even though the latter had not such a big impact.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 16:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 9, 2013 16:07

Doxa
If we leave our personal preferences out, I guess "Miss You" was about the last time Jagger was able to charm new audiences with a contemporary sounding song (and one way to intepret his trendy-flirting songs ever since has been trying to write a follower to it).
- Doxa

Maybe Undercover Of The Night and Too Much Blood were "contemporary"...

And I quite like Doom And Gloom.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2013 16:09

Doxa
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I think you are a spot on here saying "Mick is trying to write that seems 'modern'". Hell, he hadn't been able to convince anyone by 'contemporary sounds' for decades now, and least the people who are not already his fans. I think about the only ones who might be impressed of his flirtings with contemporary sounds are old farts like me - a long-time Rolling Stones fan - who loves to hear something 'novel' or at least different from him - just for a chance (I like "Doom And Gloom").

If we leave our personal preferences out, I guess "Miss You" was about the last time Jagger was able to charm new audiences with a contemporary sounding song (and one way to intepret his trendy-flirting songs ever since has been trying to write a follower to it). "Start Me Up" was probably the last singular new song that gathered a huge new interest on his doings, but it was a retro-sounding piece - a classical Stones rocker - already back in 1981. A kind of thing "Love is Strong" was later, even though the latter had not such a big impact.

- Doxa

I think you're correct on Miss You (and to some extent Shattered) and I believe that's one of the reasons it's played at every show and I also feel he's trying to recapture that moment of relevancy in 1978. Even though SMU was huge as you say it was retro.

Since then it's been like throwing darts at the wall to try and have something hit the target. 'Newish sounding songs'...Undercover Of The Night, ASMB, Out Of Control vs. 'Retro sounding songs'...Mixed Emotions, Love Is Strong, Don't Stop

Nothing has landed with large audiences though. Must be frustrating.

Date: November 9, 2013 16:47

rootsman

Yeah, "Undercover of The Night" was a follower number two to "Miss You" (the first one was "Emotional Rescue" which still did rather well in charts).

But I think the problems in trying to be contemporary are rather well to be heard in it. The marriage between a classical Stones sound and contemporary soundworld isn't the most happiest one, and for that reason I think it never turned to be any big hit. Already back then one could hear that there was something forced in it - it didn't flow as naturally as, say, "Miss You" did. Nor it was such a pure archaic pure guitar riff piece as "Start Me Up" was. Plus there was alraedy a huge distinction taking place among rock audiences, and the old time guitar-based rock and roll audience was already skeptical on the technological synthetizator/drum machine lead tendencies. Jagger - who could always love anything that was 'in'; he had loved as much disco and punk some years earlier - thought that he could charm both of them at one strike, but it didn't quite turn like that. And lesser and lesser he succeeded in his solo career to do that, as the 80's go on. My picture is Jagger lost his touch to the trends during the 80's, and the kids of the day - like me, and not to even mention people who were not Rolling Stones fans - could hear and see that better than himself.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 16:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 9, 2013 17:00

These are interesting posts, though I do not agree with all of them. But I am surprised no one responded to my comment that many of the Stones' lyrics are simple and repetitive, along the lines of Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Sugar is Sweet, and So are You. I guess everyone agreed with me on that point.

Melody aside, I think the quality of the lyrics has improved greatly in the more recent years. For instance, compare the lyrics of Bitch and All Down the Line with those of Doom and Gloom and Rain Fall Down. The latter present more ideas and some ingenuity.

Date: November 9, 2013 17:15

flilflam
These are interesting posts, though I do not agree with all of them. But I am surprised no one responded to my comment that many of the Stones' lyrics are simple and repetitive, along the lines of Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Sugar is Sweet, and So are You. I guess everyone agreed with me on that point.

Melody aside, I think the quality of the lyrics has improved greatly in the more recent years. For instance, compare the lyrics of Bitch and All Down the Line with those of Doom and Gloom and Rain Fall Down. The latter present more ideas and some ingenuity.

I was about to reply to your comment, but some other things took my attention. But better later or never, right?grinning smiley

I don't quite agree with your criticism of the lyrics of songs like "Bitch" or "All Down The Line". Yeah, there aren't any 'big story' in them, but I think the way they throw words, idioms, sentences here and there are simply damnn coherent with the flow of the music. They just aesthetically sound good and relevant, leaving certain impressions. The songs are damn coherent pieces, and like Jagger's voice - which is not very outfront - the lyrics are just a part of the whole, each little nuance having a meaning in the whole.

Besides some of the phrases are damn edgy and straight to the point, and even the idea of mentioning "Pavlov's dogs" in a rock song is a worth of praisal alone...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 17:18 by Doxa.

Date: November 9, 2013 17:40

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
buffalo7478
Bastion
flilflam

I haven't liked the live versions of this song but I do like the studio version in and of itself.

I do think One More Shot is the weaker of the two, but it seemed to work better live for some reason.

I agree. Something is always happening when Keith is in charge of the guitar departement, instead of merely filling in like on D&G, imo.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 9, 2013 17:43

Crap song, studio AND Live !!!
Jeroen

Date: November 9, 2013 17:43

Doxa
rootsman

Yeah, "Undercover of The Night" was a follower number two to "Miss You" (the first one was "Emotional Rescue" which still did rather well in charts).

But I think the problems in trying to be contemporary are rather well to be heard in it. The marriage between a classical Stones sound and contemporary soundworld isn't the most happiest one, and for that reason I think it never turned to be any big hit. Already back then one could hear that there was something forced in it - it didn't flow as naturally as, say, "Miss You" did. Nor it was such a pure archaic pure guitar riff piece as "Start Me Up" was. Plus there was alraedy a huge distinction taking place among rock audiences, and the old time guitar-based rock and roll audience was already skeptical on the technological synthetizator/drum machine lead tendencies. Jagger - who could always love anything that was 'in'; he had loved as much disco and punk some years earlier - thought that he could charm both of them at one strike, but it didn't quite turn like that. And lesser and lesser he succeeded in his solo career to do that, as the 80's go on. My picture is Jagger lost his touch to the trends during the 80's, and the kids of the day - like me, and not to even mention people who were not Rolling Stones fans - could hear and see that better than himself.

- Doxa

Undercover of the night is not merely funk/disco like the two others.

It also captured some of the things that were going on at the time in between new wave and guitar/synth rock.

Back To Zero is a more accurate third attempt, imo.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 9, 2013 17:49

Doom and gloom is a decent song that works well liv e in my opinion. It is not a Stones classic of course. I agree that One more shot is a caricature of a Stones song.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:17

Jagger should focus on singing and not everything else. They have 3 great guitarists that can do their share greatly. Bring Taylor on to do the filling part on songs where he is not suppose to play the solo.

Date: November 9, 2013 18:39

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
rootsman

- Doxa

Undercover of the night is not merely funk/disco like the two others.

It also captured some of the things that were going on at the time in between new wave and guitar/synth rock.

Back To Zero is a more accurate third attempt, imo.

Well, I actually thought touching the theme of guitar/synth rock, but altogether I didn't specify the features of what 'contemporary sound world' was like it tried to "capture". I think "Undercover of The Night" is a hybric song that tries altogether catch way too many things (but a damn brave try, for sure). The synthesis didn't quite hit the mark (both artistically and reception-wise), even though now it is an interesting curiosity and a representation of the times for us Stones fans. A bit like, say, "We Love You".

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 18:42 by Doxa.

Date: November 9, 2013 18:41

For the masses, you mean?

I love the song. A fresh sound at thectime, great singing and wonderful playing.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:49

A fine song sung by one of my favorite singers, played by one of my favorite bands, live in concert.

But of course the usual suspects hate it. Of course the same old whiners line up to bash on anything the Stones have done since 1973, posting the same old comments about blah blah blah "why doesnt it sound like when I was in high school? "WHA WHA WHA WHY DOESNT IT FEEL AS GOOD TO ME NOW???"". These constantly bashing self appointed critics are pathetic... it doesnt feel as good to you because you are old and crotchety and hate everything. It is not just the Stones that you hate, you hate everything in life, you bash on everything.

If The Stone had no made/played this song then the same whiners who bash this song would be the first ones to bash The Stones for playing live shows without putting out a couple of new songs. They would whine "They are an oldies act, why is there no new music??? WHA WHA WHA"... these same old whiners and Stones bashers always whine no matter what The Stones do.

Doom and Gloom is a fine new Stones songs.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home