Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: The latest Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2014 nominees!
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 17, 2013 19:30

seitan

-Link Wray: HELLO ??? - ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT GUITARIST IN THE HISTORY OF ROCK N ROLL !!! DO THEY EVEN HAVE TO ASK - without him, there would be no Stooges, Iggy Pop, no Keith, no WHO and no Pete Townshed, No Beatles, No Hendrix ...are you kidding me !! He should be there already !! Not even a Question about it !!!

LINK WRAY !!!! - He should go first !!! ohers can lick his feet..well, I know he's dead...but you get my point.

Even MORE reason for the others to "lick his feet"!
Nicely done.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 17, 2013 19:53

What's a matter with people here...There's LINK WRAY - HELLO !!!

I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT:

Building on the overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound of early electric blues records, Link Wray's 1958 instrumental hit "Rumble" introduced "the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarists,"[ - making possible "punk and heavy rock." - so your deep purple's and replacements and Kiss and other hard rock - modern rock - rap - you name it - punk indie @#$%& metal crappy bands should all go down on their knees and kiss Link Wray's ass !!!

Here's what Jimmy Page has to say about Link Wray:

without LINK THERE WOULD BE NO LED ZEPPELIN !!!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 18, 2013 01:58

My 6 picks are:

Deep Purple
KISS
Yes
Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens
Hall & Oates

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 18, 2013 02:32

J Geils definately

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 18, 2013 03:29

Jah Paul
jazzbass
Eventually everyone gets in.

This.

They ran out of first tier inductees years ago, but they must keep the thing going somehow and have new inductees every year...hence letting anyone and everyone in, regardless of genre or talent. It's no longer "rock and roll" or a hall of "fame."

Understood, but what gets me is the amount of time certain bands have to wait to get inducted while other much less deserving acts get in the very first year they become eligible. Even if a band like Deep Purple does get in this year, the fact is they have been eligible for induction since 1993 and have been snubbed 20 times while someone like Madonna got in the very first year she was on the ballot. That seems like a terrible insult to Deep Purple and I think any band that gets inducted after having had to wait that long should tell them to just go and stick it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 18, 2013 03:41

And speaking of being snubbed, it appears that Mr. Wenner feels that Madonna is more influential a "rock" artist than, say, Lemmy. I mean, Hawkind, Motorhead? If Wenner is kept in charge of nominees and inductees, then it's only a matter of time before Britney Spears gets in.

At least the Blues Foundation has a board of directors with 23 members, so it's not a tyranny of favoritism and short-sighted ignorance like the rock HoF. Maybe they should have limited the rock HoF to induction ceremonies every 5 years, but Wenner probably does it for the annual party--you have to have something penciled in on your social calendar.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 18, 2013 03:56

tatters
what gets me is the amount of time certain bands have to wait to get inducted while other much less deserving acts get in the very first year they become eligible. Even if a band like Deep Purple does get in this year, the fact is they have been eligible for induction since 1993 and have been snubbed 20 times while someone like Madonna got in the very first year she was on the ballot. That seems like a terrible insult to Deep Purple and I think any band that gets inducted after having had to wait that long should tell them to just go and stick it.

thumbs up Yup yup yup....

This is why I thought what Alex Lifeson did was awesome.... blah balh balh balaaahha blahbahalahbahall balh blah blah.... which sums up this tourist trap in Cleveland perfectly.

Date: October 18, 2013 03:58

Ladykiller
My 6 picks are:

Deep Purple
KISS
Yes
Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens
Hall & Oates

none of them did anything orginal

Date: October 18, 2013 04:00

stonehearted
And speaking of being snubbed, it appears that Mr. Wenner feels that Madonna is more influential a "rock" artist than, say, Lemmy. I mean, Hawkind, Motorhead? If Wenner is kept in charge of nominees and inductees, then it's only a matter of time before Britney Spears gets in.

At least the Blues Foundation has a board of directors with 23 members, so it's not a tyranny of favoritism and short-sighted ignorance like the rock HoF. Maybe they should have limited the rock HoF to induction ceremonies every 5 years, but Wenner probably does it for the annual party--you have to have something penciled in on your social calendar.

It is all a money making thing for Frann Veneer and her ragazine, it is for profit from top to bottom and sideways... I look forward to when nobody even talks about this charade.

Date: October 18, 2013 04:10

Wheres Lemmy,
Where is Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
for inventing Psychedelic rock,

where is MC5 And The New York Dolls for influencing millions of punk bands, or The Sonics.
where is Joy Division for inventing all things Goth, -
Where's the Cramps for inventing psychobilly and for being the first band on the planet to mix psychedelia with rockabilly - and where's Gene Vincent
and Eddie Cochran...Link Wray is not the only 50's rocker that should be there, - Johnny Burnette And His Rock N Roll Trio should be there for being one the greatest 50's rock bands ever...

Where the hell is Alan Vega's and Martin Rev's electronic band The Suicide - for pioneering electronic music

where's Nick Cave ? Captain Beefheart anyone ?
where's Tom Waits... I woudn't mind seeing women there too...or is that a mens club, - I mean where's Marianne Faithfull, Siouxie, The Slits, Joan Jett, I'm not even sure if Janis Joplin is there ?? - Is she ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 04:21 by seitan.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 18, 2013 04:54

tatters
Jah Paul
jazzbass
Eventually everyone gets in.

This.

They ran out of first tier inductees years ago, but they must keep the thing going somehow and have new inductees every year...hence letting anyone and everyone in, regardless of genre or talent. It's no longer "rock and roll" or a hall of "fame."

Understood, but what gets me is the amount of time certain bands have to wait to get inducted while other much less deserving acts get in the very first year they become eligible. Even if a band like Deep Purple does get in this year, the fact is they have been eligible for induction since 1993 and have been snubbed 20 times while someone like Madonna got in the very first year she was on the ballot. That seems like a terrible insult to Deep Purple and I think any band that gets inducted after having had to wait that long should tell them to just go and stick it.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's all up to Jann...which is why I don't give the alleged "Hall" much credence.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:19

...still no New York Dolls..ridiculous...

Date: October 18, 2013 06:15

seitan
Wheres Lemmy,

where is MC5 And The New York Dolls for influencing millions of punk bands, or The Sonics.
Where's the Cramps for inventing psychobilly and for being the first band on the planet to mix psychedelia with rockabilly - and where's Gene Vincent
and Eddie Cochran...Link Wray is not the only 50's rocker that should be there, - Johnny Burnette And His Rock N Roll Trio should be there for being one the greatest 50's rock bands ever...

Where the hell is Alan Vega's and Martin Rev's electronic band The Suicide - for pioneering electronic music

where's Tom Waits... I woudn't mind seeing women there too...or is that a mens club, - I mean where's Marianne Faithfull, Siouxie, The Slits, Joan Jett, I'm not even sure if Janis Joplin is there ?? - Is she ?

janis got inducted in 1995

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 18, 2013 06:42

seitan
Wheres Lemmy,

Tom Waits inducted in 2011
Eddie Cochran inducted in 1987
Gene Vincent inducted in 1998

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 07:08

RollingFreak
-Deep Purple: Absolutely a yes. Long overdue and I think they won't be able to avoid getting them in this year.

I assumed they were already in. I haven't looked at who was in there in a long time. I can't believe they're not already in.

RollingFreak
-Peter Gabriel: Fine solo career but should only be in for Genesis. Have we really stooped to Peter's solo career?

He's had several hits, a few of them I think are pretty good. And you can't discount the pop culture significance of "In Your Eyes" from "Say Anything".

RollingFreak
-KISS: Same as Deep Purple. Whether you like them or not, they are one of the better ones on the ballot and deserve to be in.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of most of the music, but they were very influential and inventive.

RollingFreak
-Nirvana: They are as good as in and that is so sad.

I personally love Nirvana, but if I didn't I'd like to think I'd have the same attitude towards them as I have towards KISS, or bands I like even less (as I do think a few of their songs are catchy) but respect all the same. Cobain wasn't a guitar god or anything, even as a fan I've hated him being put on any Greatest Guitar Players list, but he didn't have to be, he made do with what he had. The beauty is in the simplicity for many of the songs. That was why grunge was so popular, it was a breath of fresh air for many people coming out of the over-produced/synth-driven 80's.

RollingFreak
-The Replacements: A fine band but not a rock and roll hall of fame band.

I've never really understood all the fuss. I've listened to "Let It Be", and thought it was a nice album with a few tracks I really enjoyed, but didn't think it was the landmark album I've been told it was. And I've liked a few of Paul's solo songs, but I've not been able to hear what other people are hearing. Quite a few people think they are one of the most important bands of at least that generation. I must be missing something, but they probably do belong.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2013 07:19

NoCode0680
RollingFreak
-Peter Gabriel: Fine solo career but should only be in for Genesis. Have we really stooped to Peter's solo career?

He's had several hits, a few of them I think are pretty good. And you can't discount the pop culture significance of "In Your Eyes" from "Say Anything".
I understand, and he's not a horrible choice, but I just don't think he was very influential as a solo artist. He just had some big songs. I just am surprised he would go into the Hall Of Fame twice in a 5 year span. I just don't know who would say "Peter Gabriel: incredible solo career". Then again, I'm not a big fan, but I'm not trying to talk him down. Just this is how I realistically see it.

IMO someone like Lou Reed goes in for a solo career. But again, thats just my way of thinking. I don't know how Lou Reed isn't in the hall of fame on his own.

Also, I didn't mean disrespect to Nirvana. I am a fan and they were great. Its just hard for them not to be overrated since Kurt's death. I get it, they were a huge gamechanger, but they don't need every award on the planet as soon as they're able to get it. I'm the biggest GNR fan, and when they were nominated I said "I know they're gonna get in first ballot and I don't agree with that." These bands are great, but its like for one reason or another they need to be honored as soon as possible. GNR and Nirvana could have waited 5 years before going in, they aren't going anywhere. And don't even get me started on Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't see why these guys need to go in so young.

Date: October 18, 2013 07:44

RollingFreak
Also, I didn't mean disrespect to Nirvana. I am a fan and they were great. Its just hard for them not to be overrated since Kurt's death. I get it, they were a huge gamechanger, but they don't need every award on the planet as soon as they're able to get it. I'm the biggest GNR fan, and when they were nominated I said "I know they're gonna get in first ballot and I don't agree with that." These bands are great, but its like for one reason or another they need to be honored as soon as possible. GNR and Nirvana could have waited 5 years before going in, they aren't going anywhere. And don't even get me started on Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't see why these guys need to go in so young.

I just think of some of the bands/acts that are in there, some of the stranger/dumber choices, and think "Well why not Nirvana/Peter Gabriel/The Replacements then?". I think they're as deserving as many of the people in there. But I don't really see the point of holding off bands like Nirvana and GNR as if to make a statement or turn how many ballots it took to get in into a contest within a contest. Baseball does that, this is music, art. We all know they're going in, just put them in I say.

I agree that Kurt's death really propelled them to legendary status, but they were HUGE before Kurt died. Maybe they would have slipped into obscurity or churned out a series of disappointing albums before they broke up and then later got back together as a nostalgia act. But Kurt's music didn't become famous posthumously or anything. If they're overrated, then they were overrated while Kurt was alive, because they were rated very high then. I personally don't think the legend of Kurt has really changed people's perception of the music, it's just kept Nirvana alive. In my opinion/experience that is.

Kind of OT (as I know you're a fan), but my dad HATED them. I remember being sick once and he stayed up one night and watched Saturday Night Live with me. Nirvana were the musical guest, and the only word that could describe my dad was disgusted. When they started smashing their instruments he changed the channel and was mumbling something about how if they were good musicians they wouldn't have to do that shit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:22

NoCode0680
RollingFreak

I just think of some of the bands/acts that are in there, some of the stranger/dumber choices, and think "Well why not Nirvana/Peter Gabriel/The Replacements then?". I think they're as deserving as many of the people in there. But I don't really see the point of holding off bands like Nirvana and GNR as if to make a statement or turn how many ballots it took to get in into a contest within a contest. Baseball does that, this is music, art. We all know they're going in, just put them in I say.

I agree that Kurt's death really propelled them to legendary status, but they were HUGE before Kurt died. Maybe they would have slipped into obscurity or churned out a series of disappointing albums before they broke up and then later got back together as a nostalgia act. But Kurt's music didn't become famous posthumously or anything. If they're overrated, then they were overrated while Kurt was alive, because they were rated very high then. I personally don't think the legend of Kurt has really changed people's perception of the music, it's just kept Nirvana alive. In my opinion/experience that is.

Kind of OT (as I know you're a fan), but my dad HATED them. I remember being sick once and he stayed up one night and watched Saturday Night Live with me. Nirvana were the musical guest, and the only word that could describe my dad was disgusted. When they started smashing their instruments he changed the channel and was mumbling something about how if they were good musicians they wouldn't have to do that shit.

While I'll agree that Nirvana probably deserves to be in, for what they achieved in such a small space of time, I'll never like them the way I would the stones, the who, the kinks, the beatles, led zeppelin, Dylan, Presley, REM, U2 etc.

The only songs I remember from them are angst-ridden, maudlin, self-loathing.

I understand Kurt hurt, and that's where the music came from, but it never went anywhere else. Very one dimensional, to me anyway.

I'd have to be in a pretty down mood to want to listen more than a couple of Nirvana songs in a row...the music's good, the vibe is a downer.

It would be interesting to know if he'd survived how the music would have evolved. I mean after a time, he'd probably even have gotten bored with it. Enough already, let's sing Shiney Happy People and get out of this funk!

Date: October 18, 2013 08:34

treaclefingers
While I'll agree that Nirvana probably deserves to be in, for what they achieved in such a small space of time, I'll never like them the way I would the stones, the who, the kinks, the beatles, led zeppelin, Dylan, Presley, REM, U2 etc.

I understand Kurt hurt, and that's where the music came from, but it never went anywhere else. Very one dimensional, to me anyway.

I'd have to be in a pretty down mood to want to listen more than a couple of Nirvana songs in a row...the music's good, the vibe is a downer.

It would be interesting to know if he'd survived how the music would have evolved. I mean after a time, he'd probably even have gotten bored with it. Enough already, let's sing Shiney Happy People and get out of this funk!

I tend to be one who listens to the band and the vocal melodies more than contemplating the actual lyrics. I mean, I think about them sometimes, or read up on what they're about, but when I'm listening to it, I seldom really process it. So even the bummer songs don't bum me out much. But they have a lot of good songs that aren't a bummer, and some that are kind of funny. Like "Sliver", which is about a little boy (Kurt) being dropped off at his grandparents house and pitching a fit wanting to go home and passing out. I always found it pretty funny because I've been there.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:43

This must be the clearest form of Muzak I have ever heard:

and they probably gonna make it....

2 1 2 0

Date: October 18, 2013 09:09

NoCode0680
treaclefingers

I tend to be one who listens to the band and the vocal melodies more than contemplating the actual lyrics. I mean, I think about them sometimes, or read up on what they're about, but when I'm listening to it, I seldom really process it. So even the bummer songs don't bum me out much. But they have a lot of good songs that aren't a bummer, and some that are kind of funny. Like "Sliver", which is about a little boy (Kurt) being dropped off at his grandparents house and pitching a fit wanting to go home and passing out. I always found it pretty funny because I've been there.

I think there's lot of humour and sarcasm and irony in the Nirvana lyrics. I mean " "Teenage angst has paid of well, now I'm bored and old" - in Serve The Servants
" Hey, Wait, I Got a New Complaint!" in Heart Shaped Box
and " He's the one who likes all our pretty songs, but he dont know what it means" - in In Bloom has to be funniest chorus in a huge commercial radio hit.

I think Kurt had a good sense of irony, I think he knew he was complaining @#$%&, and I do think his death was a real tragedy - the acoustic unplugged album can show the beauty of great melodies in his songs. I think they good have done more acoustic stuff and grown up as musicians...if only, if only..what a waste.

Date: October 18, 2013 17:25

seitan
In Bloom has to be funniest chorus in a huge commercial radio hit.

Not to mention the hilarious music video. I always got a kick out of it at least, especially being a fan of Beatles/Stones which it kind of hints at.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:49

Your vote counts...maybe.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees: Online Fan Poll

"Congratulations to the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees! To learn more about the nominees, click here. Nominees

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is offering fans the opportunity to officially participate in the induction selection process. The public has the opportunity to vote for the five nominees they believe to be most deserving of induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The top five artists, as selected by the public, will comprise a “fans’ ballot” that will be tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2014 inductees, who will be announced soon".

VOTE HERE

As of right now, Deep Purple and Nirvana are in the lead.

Date: October 18, 2013 22:40

I vote they change the name of this dump to-
"The music and rap (because rap is not music) tourist trap
in Cleveland operated by the worst music ragazine in the world"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 22:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: October 18, 2013 22:55

Max'sKansasCity

perfect! Right on! Especially the part about rap.

Date: October 18, 2013 23:35

michaelsavage
Max'sKansasCity

perfect! Right on! Especially the part about rap.
grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 19, 2013 00:59

Hairball

VOTE HERE

What if everyone voted to shut the place down and convert the building to condominiums, or even a retirement community for rock and blues musicians, would the votes count then?

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 19, 2013 03:36

Keep on watering down the hall, Donna Summer was it for me.

Date: October 19, 2013 03:58

stonehearted
Hairball

VOTE HERE

What if everyone voted to shut the place down and convert the building to condominiums, or even a retirement community for rock and blues musicians, would the votes count then?
thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 19, 2013 04:00

The Replacements deserve it. No replacements, no Nirvana. It's that simple.

Deep Purple? Give me a break.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home