Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: The latest Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2014 nominees!
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 19, 2013 04:22

71Tele

Deep Purple? Give me a break.

For Ritchie Blackmore alone, they deserve to be in. Child In Time, Hush, Highway Star and Smoke On The Water are all terrific songs, no? Looking at whose nominated in recent years, I'm quite surprised it's taken so long.

Date: October 19, 2013 04:27

71Tele
The Replacements deserve it. No replacements, no Nirvana. It's that simple.

deep purple is the most deserving band listed

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 19, 2013 04:39

700,000 votes have been cast. Happy to report that Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, and Peter Gabriel are the top five vote getters so far. (I voted for three of them.) Not unhappy to report that Jann's beloved Chic, who were nominated for the eighth time this year, are running dead last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-19 04:41 by tatters.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 19, 2013 04:41

Are the awards particularly U.S.-centric? If an act is hugely influential and popular in the U.K. or Europe, but not in the States, do they have a chance of making the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame? I know the Small Faces made it, but only as a part of package involving the inferior Faces. That bothered me, actually.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2013 08:45

Big Al
Are the awards particularly U.S.-centric? If an act is hugely influential and popular in the U.K. or Europe, but not in the States, do they have a chance of making the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame? I know the Small Faces made it, but only as a part of package involving the inferior Faces. That bothered me, actually.

That's a good freakin' point

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 19, 2013 08:59

treaclefingers
Big Al

That's a good freakin' point
They do, but most of them got in first. Its funny that you look at nearly the first 7 years its mostly UK acts. They were the cream of the crop. After that you got the Americans. It is not so US centric, but you do have to make some kind of a dent at some point in America to be nominated. I'm kind of on their side with that, which is one of the very few things I would be. I can't think of many bands that are only famous outside of the US that would warrant Hall Of Fame status.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:09

Big Al

Wow, I never thought of that. Rock n roll besides the U.S. and UK.

OK then, time to make the Outsiders the insiders....

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: October 19, 2013 19:22

KISS. They were one of the biggest bands of the 70's(possibly the biggest for a short time). Like them or not-and alot of people on this site don't-this band alone shows why the RNRHOF is a joke. Deep purple should have been in there years ago without a doubt but even they never came close to KISS as far as fame and success goes.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 19, 2013 21:18

There may be still enough time to grab a...

...or Cremation Urn... this is an actual thing one can buy, believe or not...

Date: October 19, 2013 21:20

Deep Purple's "Machine head" and "Made in Japan" albums are two of the best rock and roll albums ever made, by anyone ever and DP's line-up for those two albums is one of the best rock and roll bands of all time. It is not even up for discussion and it does not matter what happened to the line-up before or after, but the years in which Paice, Glover, Gillian, Blackmore and Lord made up that band, they were one of the best bands ever and they were selling out football stadium in 1975.

Date: October 19, 2013 21:21

Date: October 19, 2013 21:23

Date: October 19, 2013 21:27

Perfect music to blaze down a mountain on a pair of snow skis

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 20, 2013 02:09

71Tele
The Replacements deserve it. No replacements, no Nirvana. It's that simple.

The New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders deserve it. no Johnny Thunders, No Replacements, it's that simple.

Date: October 20, 2013 02:41

is todd rundgren in yet?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 20, 2013 03:02

I wonder if Screamin Jay Hawkins and Serge Gainsbourg are there, both deserve it.

Date: October 20, 2013 03:12

seitan
The New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders

Some of the glaring omissions regarding the RR HoF really make you shake your head and wonder whether Jann Wenner actually even knows anything about the history of the genre.

But it appears the Hall of Fame means that you actually had to have been famous to get in, rather than famously influential in the musical sense.

Date: October 20, 2013 04:03

stonehearted
seitan
The New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders

Some of the glaring omissions regarding the RR HoF really make you shake your head and wonder whether Jann Wenner actually even knows anything about the history of the genre.

But it appears the Hall of Fame means that you actually had to have been famous to get in, rather than famously influential in the musical sense.

i would say thats not true as the stooges and buffalo springfield are in and neither band wad that big

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: October 20, 2013 07:44

tuned in to a Nirvana special a couple weeks ago and tuned right out to another channel...eye popping smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 20, 2013 08:00

Big Al

Me too. The whole Small Faces/Faces lump together was one of the Hall's worst offenses in my mind. When later groups changed frontmen (such as Van Halen, or the post-Ian Hunter revamped/renamed "Mott" ) there was some continuity between the different versions, as they would continue to perform earlier material.

When Faces evolved out of the Small Faces, they only held onto the old name briefly for business reasons. And they never performed Small Faces material (although Rod recorded "My Way of Giving" on one of his records ). They were a whole new band.

The only way that the Small Faces could overcome the "big in the UK" hurdle and get in the RnR HoF is because of Faces. You couldn't put Faces in and not have the Small Faces in first. Hence the double-up induction, and the whole fantasy that they were actually "one band."

And the only reason they finally got around to putting the Faces in is because groups that were influenced by them in either attitude or sound (The Replacements, The Black Crowes ) would soon be eligible themselves.

T-Rex, Roxy Music, Free, Mott the Hoople--all had a degree of success in the U.S., and they can't even make the cut. But Status Quo, The Move, The Shadows, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates...forget about it. The doors are shut.

Date: October 20, 2013 08:28

loog droog
Big Al

Me too. The whole Small Faces/Faces lump together was one of the Hall's worst offenses in my mind. When later groups changed frontmen (such as Van Halen, or the post-Ian Hunter revamped/renamed "Mott" ) there was some continuity between the different versions, as they would continue to perform earlier material.

When Faces evolved out of the Small Faces, they only held onto the old name briefly for business reasons. And they never performed Small Faces material (although Rod recorded "My Way of Giving" on one of his records ). They were a whole new band.

The only way that the Small Faces could overcome the "big in the UK" hurdle and get in the RnR HoF is because of Faces. You couldn't put Faces in and not have the Small Faces in first. Hence the double-up induction, and the whole fantasy that they were actually "one band."

And the only reason they finally got around to putting the Faces in is because groups that were influenced by them in either attitude or sound (The Replacements, The Black Crowes ) would soon be eligible themselves.

T-Rex, Roxy Music, Free, Mott the Hoople--all had a degree of success in the U.S., and they can't even make the cut. But Status Quo, The Move, The Shadows, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates...forget about it. The doors are shut.

don't worry about it. the most american rock band ever GRAND FUNK RAILROAD can't even get a nomination. i checked and TODD RUNDGREN is also not in the HOF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 11:56 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: October 20, 2013 11:46

I love T Rex to death. And yes, based on the crap that currently goes into the hall he should absolutely be in there. But if this were an actually Hall Of Fame, there's no way Marc Bolan would be in there! He didn't do anything to change the course of music, and although I love his music, its pretty generic in music and childish in lyrics. If they were running the hall properly, I would agree with their decision not to include him among the greats like the Stones and the Who. I know there are people like David Bowie that idolize T Rex, but there are those people like Bowie that also idolize someone else and say they wouldn't be there without them, yet go so much further with music.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:34

Max'sKansasCity

Great album from front to back. One of favs

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:35

Kurt and Company are in just like Pearl Jam will be.

Date: October 20, 2013 23:23

black n blue
Max'sKansasCity
Machine Head by Deep Purple
Great album from front to back. One of favs
It really is... smileys with beer

HELL YEAH... MADE LOUD TO PLAY LOUD
TURN EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE...
We were jamming, rocking and dancing to MIJ AND MH last night, this morning...

Da whole thing

It makes me feel like a kid again....
damn I love rock and roll like that.

Date: October 20, 2013 23:32

Later in life, back in the 80s, we were front row to Deep Purple when Blackmore came back for a while, and our seats/stands were right in front of Blackmore... and when I am, we are, that close, they always seem to appreciate our "enthusiasm".... HELL YEAH!!!... as they glance down... and grin back at us... that close up interaction is.... is... is so much fun!!! Sometimes there are instances where it seems like the band's and our enthusiasm feed on each other and it takes it all up a notch, and they love doing their thing and we love watching and sometimes it seems even more so... that was one of those nights.

anyway... It was an amazing evening of being with, right in front of Blackmore doing his master of guitar thing a mere 3-5 feet away... it made me a lifer as far as respect for his guitar work... and then when he was doing the intro, and then ripping in, to "Lazy" it was absolutely amazing... so fast... like lightning fingers.... so rocking ... so fun.... I recall it as if it was last week... that "Lazy" moment is still a top 5 live concert moment for me... I get goosebumps typing about it and am thrilled everytime I hear that song again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 23:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 20, 2013 23:44

black n blue
Yeah, but Pearl Jam deserve it.

Date: October 20, 2013 23:50

Being "in" this stupid tourist trap in Cleveland is meaningless,
it was ruined long ago... just like Alex said ...blah blah balh balh....

If an artist is in your personal rock and roll Hall of Fame, that is all that matters. iphone that ragazine and its owner (that put their pet bands and crap rap goofs in that crap hole of blah blah) their expiration date was long long ago.

Until a real RnR Hall of fame comes along The only rock and roll hall of fame that matters is when people talk about their fav rock and roll bands... that is the real hall fame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 23:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 21, 2013 03:23

RockinJive
Mr KC. I find your posts without merit, and very unknowledgable in your replys.
You have me mistaken for someone who cares what you find, or think about anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 03:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 21, 2013 05:23

RollingFreak
black n blue
Yeah, but Pearl Jam deserve it.

Man oh man, the times they are a-changin'.

You knew it had to happen sooner or later, but look at how this journalist describes Pearl Jam:

Rebel yell: Cranky old men of rock continue war on Spotify

Published: Sunday, 20 Oct 2013, 7:00 AM ET
By Eric Rosenbaum, CNBC.com

Rebel yell

For many years, The Beatles resisted making their catalog available on iTunes, but the times eventually changed, even for Paul McCartney. In fact, Sir Paul's much-misunderstood and recently re-released '70s album "Ram" went straight to Spotify, and his new album, "New," is also available on the streaming music service. Likewise, geriatric grunge rockers Pearl Jam's new album, "Lightening Bolt," was on Spotify from Day One. Are the elder statesmen of rock warming to Spotify? Depends which old man you ask.

Full story at: [www.cnbc.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home