Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: great album - crappy sound
Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: October 4, 2013 02:14

The first two Kiss albums - Kiss & Hotter Than Hell - are great albums that are just about unlistenable and suffer from lifeless and distorted mixes respectively. Too bad they couldn't get Eddie Kramer to mix those albums as well...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 4, 2013 06:11

More Hot Rocks
Chicago II. Sounds like an AM broadcast.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that.
Some tracks I swear sound like mono mixes.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 4, 2013 14:37

The whole Cream output sound rather thin, with extraordinary bad sounding drums. I wonder why they didn´t put more effort into the mixing of those albums.

Date: October 4, 2013 14:48

Svartmer
The whole Cream output sound rather thin, with extraordinary bad sounding drums. I wonder why they didn´t put more effort into the mixing of those albums.

agreed they sound bad

Date: October 4, 2013 14:55

Svartmer

That is true, but compared to what how the Stones sounded in 1966/67 (and the drum sound too) I'm not so sure if the Cream albums really sound poorer..

I think the "simplest" album "Fresh Cream" is their best sounding record.

Their live albums sound great, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 14:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 4, 2013 14:59

DandelionPowderman
Svartmer

That is true, but compared to what how the Stones sounded in 1966/67 (and the drum sound too) I'm not so sure if the Cream albums really sound poorer..

My 'Disraeli Gears' vinyl-album from -67 is sounding really great....just to mentioned something from Claptons book...smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2013 15:17

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Svartmer

My 'Disraeli Gears' vinyl-album from -67 is sounding really great....just to mentioned something from Claptons book...smoking smiley

You have it on vinyl, I presume?

The cd sounds very thin. I better get the vinyl, then smiling smiley

Date: October 4, 2013 15:22

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Svartmer

You have it on vinyl, I presume?

The cd sounds very thin. I better get the vinyl, then smiling smiley

I also got Creams stuff on CD...The one that sounds best is 'Goodbye'...but as said, vinyl is to prefer with Cream...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 4, 2013 15:23

Goodbye sounds good, too - that's right.

I like the primitive sound of Fresh Cream, though.

Date: October 4, 2013 15:25

DandelionPowderman
Goodbye sounds good, too - that's right.

I like the primitive sound of Fresh Cream, though.

since it's a classic album you are right of course...thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 4, 2013 15:25

DGA35
One album that has awesome sound is Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. Bought the album in 86, then the CD. It was digitally recorded, mixed and mastered (DDD), and many have said it's the best sounding CD out there. I was surprised to see several years ago that it was re-released as a remastered CD! Bought that version and it does sound a bit better. Didn't think you could improve on a recording that was DDD. Also bought the SACD 5.1 version which is awesome. Not a huge Straits fan but I love that album just for the sound quality.

Gotta say the first 2 Boston albums sound great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 15:26 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: October 4, 2013 15:26

Wings Over America - haven't heard the new version though.

Date: October 4, 2013 15:29

DGA35
One album that has awesome sound is Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. Bought the album in 86, then the CD. It was digitally recorded, mixed and mastered (DDD), and many have said it's the best sounding CD out there. I was surprised to see several years ago that it was re-released as a remastered CD! Bought that version and it does sound a bit better. Didn't think you could improve on a recording that was DDD. Also bought the SACD 5.1 version which is awesome. Not a huge Straits fan but I love that album just for the sound quality.

I gotta say the same thing about Michael Jacksons 'Dangerous'...it's so good-sounding that it is scary...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 4, 2013 15:35

How about a great sound, crappy album thread? drinking smiley smileys with beer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 4, 2013 15:44

Claire_M
LieB
I wouldn't say hissy, but the drums on early VH albums were kind of boxy and swampy or whatever. There's less difference between snare, toms and kick compared to most rock drums. It kinda mixes well with Eddie's "brown sound" guitar. This was definitely intentional, at least after a while. If you listen to the intro to Hot For Teacher you can hear how the toms and kicks sound almost the same by purpose. On their debut album the drums sound a little more conventional, and actually a little more powerful. Personally I love that clonky funky Alex had in the early 80s, all the more because the overly gated, reverbed and trebly 80s drum style was getting more overused every day.

You must be a drummer (or a producer); thanks for your insight! The cymbals seem a bit hissy to me. True, compared to the "air drums" sound so prevalent in the 80s, one can live with hissy cymbals.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not a drummer nor a producer. At least not professionally. But I play and record music as a hobby. I'm also a big David Lee Roth/Van Halen fan. smiling smiley

Date: October 4, 2013 15:47

Elmo Lewis
How about a great sound, crappy album thread? drinking smiley smileys with beer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out tongue sticking out smiley

Or a Crappy sounding Crap-album...even Good sounding brilliant album like Televisions 'Marquee Moon'...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 4, 2013 15:50

Some of you seem to expect a little too much from 1960s rock and pop albums. True, many of them didn't really capture the power the artists showed "in reality", but it must have been a challenge to properly record loud and trippy people like Cream and Hendrix. The Stones could also have been better presented on record during the pre-Jimmy Miller era, but it was far from terrible. I guess very few artists were as lucky as the Beatles, to have George Martin in the control room.

Date: October 4, 2013 16:13

LieB
Claire_M
LieB
I wouldn't say hissy, but the drums on early VH albums were kind of boxy and swampy or whatever. There's less difference between snare, toms and kick compared to most rock drums. It kinda mixes well with Eddie's "brown sound" guitar. This was definitely intentional, at least after a while. If you listen to the intro to Hot For Teacher you can hear how the toms and kicks sound almost the same by purpose. On their debut album the drums sound a little more conventional, and actually a little more powerful. Personally I love that clonky funky Alex had in the early 80s, all the more because the overly gated, reverbed and trebly 80s drum style was getting more overused every day.

You must be a drummer (or a producer); thanks for your insight! The cymbals seem a bit hissy to me. True, compared to the "air drums" sound so prevalent in the 80s, one can live with hissy cymbals.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not a drummer nor a producer. At least not professionally. But I play and record music as a hobby. I'm also a big David Lee Roth/Van Halen fan. smiling smiley

I love VH's drums - "Wild Thang" samples the drums from "Jamie's Crying".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 4, 2013 16:14

LieB
Some of you seem to expect a little too much from 1960s rock and pop albums. True, many of them didn't really capture the power the artists showed "in reality", but it must have been a challenge to properly record loud and trippy people like Cream and Hendrix. The Stones could also have been better presented on record during the pre-Jimmy Miller era, but it was far from terrible. I guess very few artists were as lucky as the Beatles, to have George Martin in the control room.

Regarding George Martin it was a real eye-opener to read Geoff Emerick´s book about recording the Beatles. Not to take anything away from George Martin, but he was far from alone in creating the Beatles sound.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 4, 2013 16:24

tomk
More Hot Rocks
Chicago II. Sounds like an AM broadcast.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that.
Some tracks I swear sound like mono mixes.

What is the matter with Make me Smile? Sounds like it was recorded on a toy tape machine.

Date: October 4, 2013 18:20

Svartmer
LieB

Regarding George Martin it was a real eye-opener to read Geoff Emerick´s book about recording the Beatles. Not to take anything away from George Martin, but he was far from alone in creating the Beatles sound.

Yeah, I guess so. I'm guessing the Beatles were pretty good at studo work themselves -- professional, creative, not extremely loud, fairly sober, not too difficult as individuals and probably just great to work with. Perhaps they were lucky to find good collaborators, perhaps they attracted professional people. The Stones should probably have picked a better producer than Andrew Oldham, I guess it took them a while to realise that. But they were pioneers at their music in Britain -- there wasn't exactly a long queue of Bob Ezrins and Rick Rubins and Jimmy Millers on Edith Grove.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 4, 2013 21:02

The Lovin' Spoonful are a pleasure to listen to, but it's a shame the vocals are mixed soooo loooow volume, esp. "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" - poor Jon Sebastian is almost drowned out!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2013 22:36

I've got the Robert Johnson collection...great music but what the hell is going with the production. BRUTAL!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 4, 2013 22:58

theanchorman
The first two Kiss albums - Kiss & Hotter Than Hell - are great albums that are just about unlistenable and suffer from lifeless and distorted mixes respectively. Too bad they couldn't get Eddie Kramer to mix those albums as well...

The interesting thing with that is that Eddie Kramer produced their first demo. He subsequently botched rock and roll over, tho he did an amazing job on Frehleys solo album. I think the early Kiss albums have a wonderful charm, and I play them often. But Stanley is right, they have no "Sonic Boom"

Date: October 4, 2013 23:00

letitloose
theanchorman

The interesting thing with that is that Eddie Kramer produced their first demo. He subsequently botched rock and roll over, tho he did an amazing job on Frehleys solo album. I think the early Kiss albums have a wonderful charm, and I play them often. But Stanley is right, they have no "Sonic Boom"

Maybe you need to listen to them on an airplane?

Date: October 4, 2013 23:13

treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman

Not quite sure what you mean.....but I will say one of the best experiences of my life was flying into JFK with a glass of wine and Back in the New York Groove on the headphones. incredible experience for a lowly Scotsman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 23:14 by letitloose.

Date: October 4, 2013 23:16

letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman

Not quite sure what you mean.....but I will say one of the best experiences of my life was flying into JFK with a glass of wine and Back in the New York Groove on the headphones. incredible experience for a lowly Scotsman.

You're right of course...unless you're plane was going to break the sound barrier...hence the sonic boom, there would be no point. I don't know what I was thinking...I'm just at this airport bar right now well into a 4 hour wait for my flight maybe I've got plane on the brane?

Date: October 4, 2013 23:23

treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman

You're right of course...unless you're plane was going to break the sound barrier...hence the sonic boom, there would be no point. I don't know what I was thinking...I'm just at this airport bar right now well into a 4 hour wait for my flight maybe I've got plane on the brane?

Ahhh - Gotcha now. Hope you are flying somewhere exotic. Cheers!

Date: October 4, 2013 23:28

letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman

Thanks! After a week away for work, HOME is sounding exotic to me!

Date: October 4, 2013 23:45

treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman

Thanks! After a week away for work, HOME is sounding exotic to me!

Well, we here at IORR wish you a safe flight and a great weekend back home. God, it will be Christmas soon- haha

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home