Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: great album - crappy sound
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:01

Great music but a bit of a crappy sound the whole collection of Jimmy Hendrix............

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:02

RollingFreak
I think Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers need a remastering. Sound is way to low and you can't properly rock out to it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:04

The biggest travesty in the whole Stones catalog is Between the Buttons. An album that would have been a classic but for the absolutely horrible sound. Jagger has spoken about the horrible sound.

I second Gimme Some Neck and I'd add 1234 to that. The sound he got on I've Got My Own Album To Do was so great but even Now Look has some issues.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:05

Bigger Bang : crappy sound.

Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You great sound.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:06

Deltics
RollingFreak
I think Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers need a remastering. Sound is way to low and you can't properly rock out to it.

grinning smiley

Maybe use two of them ...left and right ear ...or the other way around

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:55

Everything the Stones have released since they entered the digital age : Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To babylon, A Bigger Bang, Exile & Some Girls bonus cuts. All these albums would sound ten times better produced the way they used to produce their albums in the 70's...

Posted by: Des ()
Date: October 3, 2013 01:01

Anything by Rod and the Faces, always thought they got ripped

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 3, 2013 01:04

This is a great thread. I agree on most everything 'cept Exile... "Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Every Picture Tells a Story"... I've never heard a good mastering... And of course the horrible sounding "Layla",,, Funny how the worst sounding records are some of the greatest.. Makes you think... and no I don't know the answer except good rock is never meant to sound clear, the musicianship loses it's glamor perhaps, same problems with digital these days I suppose...

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 3, 2013 01:36

DoomandGloom
noughties
Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane.

I can`t understand why. The producer Al Schmidt is the same as on the excellent previous one.
That's easy to explain.. First of all Volunteers was one of the first recordings made using a 16 track deck and there were many complications regarding the tape machine... More importantly before each session everyone drank Tank/LSD cocktails. Al told me he had a real hard time keeping up with Jack and Jorma but was obliged to do so...

-Hmm. The 16 track makes sense. They should have taken a quality control. Things don`t automatically go from good to better. This could have been a supersonic classic just like the first Zep albums if only sound had been an issue.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 3, 2013 02:30

Every copy I've owned (several) of "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" by the Small Faces has been borderline unlistenable, just SO muddy. Now I wonder if they may have been bootleg copies as I understand there was some issue there with that particular piece of product.

I believe hey cleaned up the mix of the title track for sure for use in Grand Theft Auto V....

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 3, 2013 02:38

I never thought Jimi Hendrix had crappy sounding records. I do prefer the mono Are You Experienced, however.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 3, 2013 02:41

Big Al
Appetite For Destruction could do with a remaster. It's sounds very tinny. Then again, with remastering these days, can anyone be trusted to not bodge the sound?
are you serious? if i have to name one rock-album that really stands out productions-wise its AFD. everything is just absolutely perfect!!!!!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 3, 2013 02:47

Of course, muddy crappy sound sometimes was the point....

Couldn't hit it sideways….

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 3, 2013 03:14

Silver Dagger
Exile On Main Street and Goats Head Soup

Wot?!
I think the original Exile vinyl had a murky but great sound!
All those CD's don't come close.

GHS had a kind of hazy sound but somehow I found it fitting to that album. Even the cover art suits to it.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 3, 2013 03:18

Black Crowes shake your money maker always sounded like a second class mix/mastering while southern harmony sounded awesome.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 3, 2013 05:56

guitarbastard
]
are you serious? if i have to name one rock-album that really stands out productions-wise its AFD. everything is just absolutely perfect!!!!!

Yes. I think it's probably the greatest debut release of all time, but it needs to be remastered. It sounds 'tinny' to my ears. Other than that, the production is okay, I guess. The music is terrific.

Date: October 3, 2013 06:26

LieB
Claire_M
And maybe it's just me, but what about the drum sound on the pre-Hagar Van Halen albums - very hissy, no?

I wouldn't say hissy, but the drums on early VH albums were kind of boxy and swampy or whatever. There's less difference between snare, toms and kick compared to most rock drums. It kinda mixes well with Eddie's "brown sound" guitar. This was definitely intentional, at least after a while. If you listen to the intro to Hot For Teacher you can hear how the toms and kicks sound almost the same by purpose. On their debut album the drums sound a little more conventional, and actually a little more powerful. Personally I love that clonky funky Alex had in the early 80s, all the more because the overly gated, reverbed and trebly 80s drum style was getting more overused every day.

i always thought the drum sound on the van hagar albums was bad. alex switched kits i believe when hagar joined and it sounds horrid imo

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 3, 2013 06:47

tomk
I never thought Jimi Hendrix had crappy sounding records. I do prefer the mono Are You Experienced, however.

I just picked up the reissue mono Axis - looking forward to spending some quality time with it this weekend.

Put me down for Forever Changes by Love. It should be in technicolor but instead it just sounds kind of anemic. Great music, underwhelming mix.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 3, 2013 07:49

Almost the entire Black Flag and Husker Du catalogs.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 3, 2013 08:11

The first Buffalo Springfield record comes to mind. Great songs, great playing and everything, but I've yet to hear a really good mix/master/remaster...
and I love that album.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 3, 2013 18:28

LieB
Claire_M
And maybe it's just me, but what about the drum sound on the pre-Hagar Van Halen albums - very hissy, no?

I wouldn't say hissy, but the drums on early VH albums were kind of boxy and swampy or whatever. There's less difference between snare, toms and kick compared to most rock drums. It kinda mixes well with Eddie's "brown sound" guitar. This was definitely intentional, at least after a while. If you listen to the intro to Hot For Teacher you can hear how the toms and kicks sound almost the same by purpose. On their debut album the drums sound a little more conventional, and actually a little more powerful. Personally I love that clonky funky Alex had in the early 80s, all the more because the overly gated, reverbed and trebly 80s drum style was getting more overused every day.

You must be a drummer (or a producer); thanks for your insight! The cymbals seem a bit hissy to me. True, compared to the "air drums" sound so prevalent in the 80s, one can live with hissy cymbals.

To me, Peter Gabriel's "So" album hasn't aged well, sound-wise. I think it's used as a teaching tool at Berklee though, so what do I know...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 3, 2013 18:54

Got Live If You Want It would be the best document of the stonesmania era and the crazy live shows of the 60s if it only had decent sound.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 3, 2013 18:59

kowalski
Everything the Stones have released since they entered the digital age : Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To babylon, A Bigger Bang, Exile & Some Girls bonus cuts. All these albums would sound ten times better produced the way they used to produce their albums in the 70's...

Anything anybody's released on the digital age if truth be told.

Music went digital long before the technology was good enough...and in years to come music lovers will despise the recording industry of the late 20th and early 21st century.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 3, 2013 19:02

Chicago II. Sounds like an AM broadcast.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 3, 2013 21:48

The Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society." I believe Ray Davies himself has said that it didn't sound anything like that when they were in the room actually playing it. It always sounds small and thin to me. Could you imagine it with 1968 drum sounds as good as the White Album or Procul Harum?

Date: October 3, 2013 23:20

Turning To Gold
The Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society." I believe Ray Davies himself has said that it didn't sound anything like that when they were in the room actually playing it. It always sounds small and thin to me. Could you imagine it with 1968 drum sounds as good as the White Album or Procul Harum?

i have the 3 cd deluxe version of village green released in the early 2000's and it sounds great

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 3, 2013 23:50

One album that has awesome sound is Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. Bought the album in 86, then the CD. It was digitally recorded, mixed and mastered (DDD), and many have said it's the best sounding CD out there. I was surprised to see several years ago that it was re-released as a remastered CD! Bought that version and it does sound a bit better. Didn't think you could improve on a recording that was DDD. Also bought the SACD 5.1 version which is awesome. Not a huge Straits fan but I love that album just for the sound quality.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 4, 2013 00:06

Gazza
Street Legal - Bob Dylan

Thankfully the problem was corrected on the remix & remaster that came out in 1999. Its like night and day.

Never has an album been resurrected like the remix of Street Legal

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 4, 2013 01:17

I had never invested in the first couple of Who albums as I thought they sounded like crap on vinyl and CD. Just bad recordings. But I was blaming the wrong people. They were just mixed and mastered for a different era, on the cheap.

I just got a copy of the first Who record remastered in mono, and a second disk remastered in stereo. BOTH are huge improvements. Very clear and fresh. Closer to what (I guess) it sounded like in the studio.

Still researching how/why but My Generation is missing a lead guitar part...was told the original overdub was not available, so they released this re-issue without it, just as it had been recorded in the first place. Works for me.

Date: October 4, 2013 01:33

buffalo7478
I had never invested in the first couple of Who albums as I thought they sounded like crap on vinyl and CD. Just bad recordings. But I was blaming the wrong people. They were just mixed and mastered for a different era, on the cheap.

I just got a copy of the first Who record remastered in mono, and a second disk remastered in stereo. BOTH are huge improvements. Very clear and fresh. Closer to what (I guess) it sounded like in the studio.

Still researching how/why but My Generation is missing a lead guitar part...was told the original overdub was not available, so they released this re-issue without it, just as it had been recorded in the first place. Works for me.

i thought the guitar overdubs were added to the mono version and thats why they are missing from this disc 1 stereo version.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home